A song called Cold Coffee

Author
quantumeffect
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2771
2011/06/09 14:27:49 (permalink)

A song called Cold Coffee

Here is a song called Cold Coffee I wrote several years ago.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=7554320&q=hi&newref=1
Originally, there was a guitar / vocal demo posted that I paid a studio to put together for me but I really want my own versions posted (in case you had been to my soundclick page).

After close to 47 years of living in NJ, my family is pulling up stakes and moving to the mid-west so, before we move, I am trying to finish off a couple of projects (that seem to sit unfinished) with friends and local musicians and this is one of them.

I tried getting this recorded on a couple of different occasions over the last 3 years resulting in a vocal track and an acoustic guitar part for the verse and a rough acoustic guitar take for the chorus.  Over the last couple of weeks I took the bits and pieces that I had, arranged them and had another friend add the electric guitars.  The song had /has some timing issues because the acoustic guitar was originally recorded against a 1st generation live drum track (live drums played to a click) and the electric was played to a 2nd generation drum track (live drums played to live drums).  The only edit (I harvested the end crash from a previous take) on the drum track was the final cymbal crash … I yelled “woo hoo” at the end before the cymbals died out which really didn’t fit in with the context of the song.

Being the drummer I have no moral qualms about hacking up guitar, bass or vocal tracks but my drum track has to remain unadulterated so, the drumming sounds simple … but, it was actually a real challenge getting the drum take that is on here.  Also, I spent a bit of time arrange the tambourine part and it is also a single take (I was inspired Luis Conte who I saw as part of the James Taylor band at Carnegie Hall not that long ago) plus I am really happy with the tone of the tambourine.

Well in any event this is a work in progress.  The only thing I did to pseudo-pre-master was put Sonar’s Boost11 on its default gain setting (I think 2.5 dB) on it so it probably isn’t as loud as you may be used to …
post edited by quantumeffect - 2011/09/12 02:30:42

Dave

8.5 PE 64, i7 Studio Cat, Delta 1010, GMS and Ludwig Drums, Paiste Cymbals

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact." H. Simpson

"His chops are too righteous."  Plankton during Sponge Bob's guitar solo 

8 Replies Related Threads

vechung
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 818
    Re:A song called Cold Coffee 2011/06/09 16:15:07 (permalink)
    Really like the song.  The arrangement is very nice retro 60's style.  The voice needs to come up a bit and the drums need to be a tad lower.  The instrumentation is very good.  Need some sparkle in the high end and some better mixing, but I guess this is a work in progress.

http://www.soundclick.com/vicentechung
    https://soundcloud.com/thefoundandthelost

Vicente 

Sonar Platinum, Live 10, Motu 828, Ozone 7
    Thatsastrat
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1267
    Re:A song called Cold Coffee 2011/06/09 17:07:00 (permalink)
    Yes a nice 60's vibe to this.
    Drums need to be lower in the mix and the bass needs to come up.

Sonar Platimum, Win10 32bit, Quad Q6600,4G DDR2 Ram, BCF2000, Lexicon Lambda interface,Tascam US 1800, WD 500 GB HD, M-Audio AV40 Monitors, Line 6 DI Gold, Guitar Rig 5 Pro, hand full of guitars, Kawia PH50 Keyboard,Digitech GNX3
    http://www.soundclick.com/thatsastrat/%3C/a%3E
    http://www.myspace.com/thatsastrat/music
    quantumeffect
    Re:A song called Cold Coffee 2011/06/10 16:05:50 (permalink)
    OK ... thanks for the positive and encouraging feedback.

Here is an updated mix.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=7554320&q=hi&newref=1
    boosted everything above 2K on all the rhythm guitars
    bumped the bass up a bit
    added another layer of compression to the vocal
    brought all instruments and vocals up relative to the drums
    psuedo-pre-mastered using the default "CD Master Preset" in Ozone this time
    post edited by quantumeffect - 2011/09/12 02:34:06

Dave

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact." H. Simpson

bayoubill
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10899
    Re:A song called Cold Coffee 2011/06/10 16:59:36 (permalink)
    Much better Dave! The solo IMHO needs to be equal in volume to the lead vocals. THis is a great song. I'm kinda partial due to my love of coffee! Great playing!

SWAMP MUSIC
    Sonar PLATINUM        
    Studio Cat DAW

dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    Re:A song called Cold Coffee 2011/06/11 11:41:19 (permalink)
    I like the song and there are some nice performances - overall I think it could use a little more "punch" - bring up the distorted guitar in parts and a little more of that bass guitar. The singer also sounds great but could belt it out a little more, or maybe just needs to be more up front in the mix. This has lots of potential!
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    Re:A song called Cold Coffee 2011/06/12 17:14:48 (permalink)
    Really like the guitar solos on this!

She can sing alright and I can certainly hear a lot of 60's influences embedded in here.

Nicely done!

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    quantumeffect
    Re:A song called Cold Coffee 2011/09/12 02:28:51 (permalink)
    The singer re-tracked the vocals and a friend of mine added mando and some backing vocals along with a few other tweaks since the last time I posted this.

Thanks for the listen!

Dave

http://www.soundclick.com...&q=hi&newref=1

Dave

mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:A song called Cold Coffee 2011/09/12 04:50:52 (permalink)
    great song, certainly has a 60s vibe, i love the little details like the ?mandolin in the left side. vocals can still come up a bit, and drums are fine now. solo could also be bumped a touch, but this is like 99% perfect! great change-up at the end of the solo. nice bass work too!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1