"Bleed"Big Rock w Huge Chorus, Opinions on song/ Mix/

Author
lellington954
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 154
2011/06/10 10:55:16 (permalink)

"Bleed"Big Rock w Huge Chorus, Opinions on song/ Mix/

Song 2 "BLEED"  Did this on Sonar P 8.5 using m-audio Profire 2626. This is a new original project being developed with the Vocalist & Myself.
All music was composed and performed by yours truely w Vocals by Aaron Paul and myself.
http://www.soundclick.com...ult.cfm?bandID=1179809
Las Vegas, NV 6-8-11
post edited by lellington954 - 2011/06/25 19:43:15

LAE

25 Replies Related Threads

Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:Big Rock Song w Huge Chorus, Opinions on song/ Mix/ 2011/06/10 11:15:26 (permalink)
    Both great tunes dude! I'd not touch a thing on the eq's on either of them, but here's my take.

Bleed: Kick and hats are a bit too dominant for my liking and the guitar and snare need to come up. When the vocals hit, the guitars disappear into the abyss. I hear hats the most in this mix...lead guitars could come up as well. Again, leave the eq's alone...this is perfect with a little leveling.

I won't wait: Too much limiting or compression or something. Snare drum disapears, pumping on all the accents. Electrics are disappearing again when everything hits. Acoustic is absolutely beautiful. Eq's on this seem to be decent, but not as tight as the first tune. It could be the limiting, but something is definitely pumping somewhere that shouldn't be and it seems to be pushing the low end when it does this.

The tunes as well as your writing, playing and engineering skills are quite good...I'd just work on the levels on these a bit and watch the limiter on the second tune. Other than that, fabulous job....right up my alley! :)

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    pdevillo
    • Total Posts : 151
    Re:Big Rock Song w Huge Chorus, Opinions on song/ Mix/ 2011/06/10 12:11:48 (permalink)
    I Like this. Hats need more reverb to make them more natural and pull the hats volume back some as well. Snare needs a bump. lead guitar fills are drowned by the rhythm guitar - bring lead up between vocal lines. I also found the lead vocal melody was competing with the vocal fills in the chorus - lead vocal needs to be clearly out front. WIth a good mix this song is gonna rock! Like your voice too - I hear a lot of Dennis DeYoung in there!
     - Paul
    Thatsastrat
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1267
    Re:Big Rock Song w Huge Chorus, Opinions on song/ Mix/ 2011/06/10 13:07:51 (permalink)
    I can not offer any good help with the mix, because mine don't come close to what you have. I did like both songs. I wont wait for you sounds less like it is something I have heard before. I like the chord changes in that. Really good songs!

Sonar Platimum, Win10 32bit, Quad Q6600,4G DDR2 Ram, BCF2000, Lexicon Lambda interface,Tascam US 1800, WD 500 GB HD, M-Audio AV40 Monitors, Line 6 DI Gold, Guitar Rig 5 Pro, hand full of guitars, Kawia PH50 Keyboard,Digitech GNX3
    http://www.soundclick.com/thatsastrat/%3C/a%3E
    http://www.myspace.com/thatsastrat/music
    lellington954
    Re:Big Rock Song w Huge Chorus, Opinions on song/ Mix/ 2011/06/11 11:31:47 (permalink)
    Hi Danny:
    I just viewed your site & listened to some of your music. Great stuff, playing, production & songs.  thank you for taking the time to listen & comment.
    Your right. I just finished that mix yesterday. The hats are def a tad too hot as well as snare needs to come up & guitars kinda fade here & there. Often I have a great sounding 32 bit mastered wave file & when I convert to mp3 the compression going from 32 to 16 bit changes the way things sit in the mix. So I find myself by trial & error going back & forth trying to get that nice punchy pump in the 32bit & tweaking comps to compensate for 16bit mp3 conversion.
    Anyways thank you again & I will be posting a "tweaked mix" this morning. Same issues with the other song only more comp than levels.  Question? I frequently again have an issue with mp3s. When I render to mp3 the playback has a kind of slight distortion/artifacts. I've tried "dithering" only once as suggested by many in the forums but still get this frequently. either in making a Master wave file or only dithering when converting to an mp3, still happens  Do you run into this? any suggestions?
    Thank You,
    Lawrence Ellington,
    Las Vegas, NV

LAE
    lellington954
    Re:Big Rock Song w Huge Chorus, Opinions on song/ Mix/ 2011/06/11 13:13:25 (permalink)
    Just posted new mix w tweaks on suggestions on "Bleed". Opened up threshold a bit on comp. made suggested level changes. Better but not quite there. Almost I think. :-)
    lellington954
    Re:Big Rock Song w Huge Chorus, Opinions on song/ Mix/ 2011/06/11 19:01:46 (permalink)
    Hey thanks for the feedback. Made some changes in mix. Oh and It's unusual but the 3 Vocals during the chorus were intended to be non dominant. Not sure if this will work & would usually advise against but this tune may be exception?
    chasmcg
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 642
    Re:Big Rock Song w Huge Chorus, Opinions on song/ Mix/ 2011/06/11 19:08:44 (permalink)
    Great! Really enjoyed the song. Great playing, singing and production.
    lellington954
    Re:Big Rock Song w Huge Chorus, Opinions on song/ Mix/ 2011/06/12 11:20:21 (permalink)
    Hey, thank you, much appreciated.
    Lawrence,
    Danny Danzi
    Re:Big Rock Song w Huge Chorus, Opinions on song/ Mix/ 2011/06/12 11:44:57 (permalink)
    lellington954

Hi Danny:
    I just viewed your site & listened to some of your music. Great stuff, playing, production & songs.  thank you for taking the time to listen & comment.
    Your right. I just finished that mix yesterday. The hats are def a tad too hot as well as snare needs to come up & guitars kinda fade here & there. Often I have a great sounding 32 bit mastered wave file & when I convert to mp3 the compression going from 32 to 16 bit changes the way things sit in the mix. So I find myself by trial & error going back & forth trying to get that nice punchy pump in the 32bit & tweaking comps to compensate for 16bit mp3 conversion.
    Anyways thank you again & I will be posting a "tweaked mix" this morning. Same issues with the other song only more comp than levels.  Question? I frequently again have an issue with mp3s. When I render to mp3 the playback has a kind of slight distortion/artifacts. I've tried "dithering" only once as suggested by many in the forums but still get this frequently. either in making a Master wave file or only dithering when converting to an mp3, still happens  Do you run into this? any suggestions?
    Thank You,
    Lawrence Ellington,
    Las Vegas, NV
    Hi Lawrence,

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated. :) As for your mp3 question, this very well could have something to do with the places you upload your stuff on. For example, I never have any problems with mp3 conversions. You always want to convert using CBR at a bit rate of 192 or higher for nearly lossless audio. My stuff on Myspace, is all completely jacked up and distorted. Whatever the heck happens on that side when you upload an mp3, is beyond me. It totally kills my audio. But if I were to put the songs on my server at like 320kb mp3, you'd be like "wow, what a difference". Even at 192, they would still sound like CD quality.

So you shouldn't notice any distortion or other artifacts on your mp3's unless the program you use to encode them may not be too good or something. I use Wave Lab for my mp3's and in my opinion, it has been my best choice where I can't tell a difference to be honest.

Dithering....this is questionable man. There are people that believe in it and swear by it, yet there are others that believe it's a bunch of bs. I do it because it's supposedly the proper way to alter your audio for CD burning. There are times when I have not dithered and have not ever noticed a difference. So in my mind, I've bought into the hype and do it because it's what I've been taught I'm supposed to do. There are people that claim they can hear the different noise shaping within dithering. I have some pretty good ears and an excellent monitor system. For the life of me, try as I may, I can't hear any difference at all no matter what.

I've had the best luck using the Waves stuff to dither or pow-r 3 in Sonar. Other have mentioned they hate pow-r 3 the most out of the dithering and can hear a difference between them. I sure can't, so maybe my ears suck. LOL! Anyway, there shouldn't be any differences in your mp3 vs the wave file that would be incredibly noticeable unless you used a lower bit rate like 128 or 160 and using VBR could also bring in some artifacts. Just about any encoder will work well at 192 or above. Lame or Fraunheoffer or however you spell that, lol both sound the same to me at the higher bit rates, but some claim Fraun is better for lower bit rates.

I will say this though. The better your mix without loads of pumping or limiting, the better it will sound once you convert it to mp3. Ah I see you've updated the mixes....I'll give them a listen. :)
    post edited by Danny Danzi - 2011/06/12 11:48:22

My Site
    mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Big Rock Song w Huge Chorus, Opinions on song/ Mix/ 2011/06/12 17:27:29 (permalink)
    this may be the greatest rock mix ever, but filtered thru soundclick's 128kbps render we'll never know...

FWIW  bleed is a good song, first and foremost. sound pretty level mixwise, guitars have a nice bite, drums perhaps a tad in front, but please post on Soundcloud or OUrstage  or somewhere with better quality rip...

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:Big Rock Song w Huge Chorus, Opinions on song/ Mix/ 2011/06/12 23:19:36 (permalink)
    Really very nice mixes. Danny's got you covered on the mix situation. Great playing and singing.  Cool stuff.

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

BretB
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 508
    Re:Big Rock Song w Huge Chorus, Opinions on song/ Mix/ 2011/06/12 23:52:59 (permalink)
    Very well done.  Both songs are worth working at to get as perfect a mix as you can.  The musicianship is superb!

Sonar Platinum - A&H ZED R16 - KRK VXT4's - Yamaha DTXpress IV & Gretsch Catalina Maple kits

"Music is what feelings sound like"
    https://soundcloud.com/bret575b
    alkie
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2706
    Re:Big Rock Song w Huge Chorus, Opinions on song/ Mix/ 2011/06/12 23:59:22 (permalink)
    Love your new song......now for a long time fave of mine "I won`t wait for you".....The mix sounds way better than the old one which is still on my soundclick station...One thing I noticed is the vocals are kinda prettier on the new mix they`ve lost that rough honest tonality that they had on the old mix (don`t get me wrong I still love the song) Did you retrack the vox?

Whoa.... to you ...oh...earth and sea...
    for the devil sends the beast with wrath.....
    because he knows the time is short.....
    let him who hath understanding.....
    reckon the number of the beast.....
    for it is a human number...
    it`s number is.....

So if JESUS rose from the DEAD
    Does that mean he`s the ORIGINAL ZOMBIE?
    lellington954
    Re:Big Rock Song w Huge Chorus, Opinions on song/ Mix/ 2011/06/13 21:22:16 (permalink)
    Hey:
    First off thank you. Really glad you liked the new one. I appreciate it very much
    Thanks for remembering  I Won't wait for you. I did that one solo originally. I did like my vocal on it but the fact is I'm just not a front man lead vocalist. Not ruling out doin a song or two lead vocals but I'm working with a really good vocalist Aaron Paul. (No to be confused w another Aaron Paul out there), but anyways I wanted to see what he could bring to the song. Your def right he has a smoother voice higher range & did a great job on it.  It was hard for me to get used to at first hearing this version & I suppose my vocal did have a unique kinda resonate emotional tone but I just wanted a really good vocalist to do it & see how it sounded.
    Thank you again for the kind words. I will be posting more new stuff soon.
    Take Care,
    Lawrence Ellington,
    lellington954
    Re:Big Rock Song w Huge Chorus, Opinions on song/ Mix/ 2011/06/15 08:42:52 (permalink)
    Hey thank you. New mix posted if you want to check it out.
    Thanks again,
    Lawrence,
    Danny Danzi
    Re:Big Rock Song w Huge Chorus, Opinions on song/ Mix/ 2011/06/15 10:57:05 (permalink)
    Lawrence, just checked these out again. Definitely better. I think we're still crying for more rhythm guitars in Bleed. The rhythms to me just really drive a song of that nature and sometimes they seem a bit buried. This is all subjective....the tune is audible in all areas, I personally, for this particular genre, which I do myself, like to have those rhythm guitars blasting to where you feel them as well as hear them. When a distorted guitar is a bit low in a mix, it can sound like a little bee buzzing around and we lose some impact.

What are your pans looking like on that tune? It seems a bit tight on the pans in some spots where you might be able to pan outward a bit more. For example, on your chorus parts, you have back up vocals walking right on top of those rhythm guitars which will always make them seem to disappear. I still think I'd bring up the lead guitar a bit. When it's the focal point, let that baby shine brother. That IS the lead vocal when it's time, ya know?

On the other song, I'm still hearing massive compression artifacts on every accent to where instruments seem to auto-lower themselves. This happens in your chorus sections...the verses are fine. As soon as the mix intensifies, we have degrading quality artifacts that sound like a compressor or limiter over-reacting. Your snare is gone from the mix completely on the chorus parts.

Again though, I really like all the sounds you used on this. It's really a mix issue with levels and proper compression needed to fix this particular mix. The other song, just levels that I'd mess with. The song idea is there, the playing and performances are all there, it's just a matter of mixing these the right way. Again, it's all subjective really, but this is a style I know a little something about and what *I* would do to make it better. Just follow your heart though...and if you feel these mixes are good to you and the best you can do, don't listen to me or anyone else. This is YOUR artistic creation....and a fine one at that. :) Best of luck.

My Site
    lellington954
    Re:Big Rock Song w Huge Chorus, Opinions on song/ Mix/ 2011/06/18 17:50:04 (permalink)
    Hey Danny:

Thanks again for taking to time to help me out.
    If I may be so bold as to ask you to listen to these just updated mixes.
    I think I'm real close. I think, lol

Thanks again.

Lawrence,
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Big Rock Song w Huge Chorus, Opinions on song/ Mix/ 2011/06/19 01:18:47 (permalink)
    Lawrence, this is certainly the calibre I have come to expect from you
    I am loving the stereo placement on Bleed(listening through headphones). I'm not hearing any of the pumping Danny alluded to earlier.
    I wont wait is 98% there. The guitars sound great, but the vox seems somewhat squashed. Not much, but it's not quite cutting through.
    But it's so very close, that it's probably a matter of some very tiny adjustments. I'll defer to Danny on that.
    That said, these are killer tunes, and I like them both.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Danny Danzi
    Re:Big Rock Song w Huge Chorus, Opinions on song/ Mix/ 2011/06/19 08:27:58 (permalink)
    Hi Lawrence,

Unfortunately, I'm hearing the same stuff in Bleed. As soon as your chorus hits, those guitars are gone. The back up vocals just seem to be sharing a close pan field and are cancelling out the rhythm guitars to where they are barely audible and all I hear are vox, drums and bass...with a few little bees in the back. Not to disagree with Robert in his opinion, but I don't listen to mixes and make judgement calls through headphones. They not only paint a false representation of pan fields, they would be the equal to having a set of monitors side by side to your ears...which would never allow you to make the right calls for pans. I listened to the material in a corrected environment using Adam A 7's, NS 10's, Genelec's, and Altec Lansing pc speakers. The core of the sound and the artifacts I reported were the same on all of them.

The pumping in "I won't Wait" is now gone...so Robert must have heard the remixed version. This is really well done now. Subjective, but I still feel the electric rhythms could be raised a bit.

One of the challenges I had while learning to mix was to get the rhythm guitars up loud enough to maintain impact. What gets me with your mixes is, you don't have anything in the guitar tones that I would call "problem areas". My issues on my guitars in the past were a bit too much low end and mid range congestion because I was warming up the sounds too much. Now that I know what I'm doing, I can make the guitars in my mix totally rip your heart out to where they will be considered too loud, but you NEVER lose the other instruments behind them.

That's one thing you will notice about major releases as well. They can make instruments so loud they are too loud, yet nothing is buried in the mix and remains audible. This is where we need to get your rhythm guitars in my opinion. We don't want them so loud that they are killing everything else, but listen to pro material done in this genre, Lawrence. You NEVER lose the sound of the dirty guitars in a mix no matter how much music is going on behind it. You hear every riff, lick and chord. At times, though your guitars are semi-audible to me, we totally lose them in spots.

For example, and this is important to keep in mind. If I was auditioning for your band and you gave me these demo's to learn from, there are parts on here that I would not be able to learn because I simply cannot hear them. See, you know the parts because you mixed this or may have even played the parts. You know what it should sound like and you know what part is coming next. To someone like me who is not as familiar with the material and doesn't know what is coming next, I'm sometimes looking for a needle in a haystack to hear the parts. I always keep in my mind while mixing, to mix for the first time listeners. If I struggle to hear something that I wrote or know by heart, chances are they will too. So I think you're in better shape with these mixes for sure, but me personally, I'd still get those rhythms and even your lead guitar a bit more out in front. This is all subjective...if it sounds good to you, leave it alone...but if you really hear what I hear, try a few experiments...maybe compress the rhythms a bit more to make them tighter so you can make them louder. I'd definitely get those back up vocals out of the way though as they still seem too close to the rhythm guitar pans and nearly cancel them out on my end. Hope this helps....best of luck. :)

My Site
    guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:Big Rock Song w Huge Chorus, Opinions on song/ Mix/ 2011/06/19 08:45:26 (permalink)
    Lawrence - Excellent songs!  Well written and well performed.  You're lucky to have Danny give you his critique - he's got the equipment, talent and ears to make the right suggestions.  The only thing that struck me was on the 2nd song, the vocals seem just a tad low in volume.  Maybe that has something to do with the compression.  Beautiful acoustic guitar part on that song.  Nice job!
    lellington954
    Re:Big Rock Song w Huge Chorus, Opinions on song/ Mix/ 2011/06/22 09:34:33 (permalink)
    Hey, thank you. It's much appreciated. Yeah I needed to not listen to these for a few days, I'm gonna update the mixes & re-post shortly.
    Thanks again,
    Lawrence,
    lellington954
    Re:Big Rock Song w Huge Chorus, Opinions on song/ Mix/ 2011/06/25 16:23:22 (permalink)
    Hey thanks,
    I'm working on a new mix of both songs today and will post by tomorrow on a better Res site.

Thanks Again,
    Lawrence,
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Big Rock Song w Huge Chorus, Opinions on song/ Mix/ 2011/06/26 16:15:07 (permalink)
    I love this one too.  Sounds superb to me, but I'll defer to the guys with the ears and knowledge. :)
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Big Rock Song w Huge Chorus, Opinions on song/ Mix/ 2011/06/26 16:24:07 (permalink)
    Danny...I finally found your songs on the internet.  Why haven't I before?  (maybe because I've never seen it posted here?)  :)  Who knows.  Anyway, killer voice and great music!  :) 
    ChuckC
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1488
    Re:Big Rock Song w Huge Chorus, Opinions on song/ Mix/ 2011/06/26 18:05:12 (permalink)
    I am listening on cans so...  Here's what I got from Bleed:
    Hats are a little high, and I'd want the snare up a bit.  Great song & performance.  I think the panning split i so extreme that it's a little distracting to me both on the guitars in the verse, then the vox in the chorus (where I would try leaving the dominant line at 0 and pan the back vocals out out about 70% to one side).   Nice work here.

ADK Built DAW, W7, Sonar Platinum, Studio One Pro,Yamaha HS8's & HS8S  Presonus Studio/Live 24.4.2, A few decent mic pre's,  lots of mics, 57's,58 betas, Sm7b, LD Condensors, Small condensors, Senn 421's,  DI's,  Sans Amp, A few guitar amps etc. Guitars : Gib. LP, Epi. Lp, Dillion Tele, Ibanez beater, Ibanez Ergodyne 4 String bass, Mapex Mars series 6 pc. studio kit, cymbals and other sh*t.
    http://www.everythingiam.net/
    http://www.stormroomstudios.com
    Some of my productions: http://soundcloud.com/stormroomstudios
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1