lightning surge hit the house

Author
Guitarhacker
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24398
2011/06/13 21:10:04 (permalink)

lightning surge hit the house

OK... here's what happened.

Saturday night, checking email and about ready to respond to something here on the forums. I knew there were storms coming in from Raleigh... still out of ear shot. I could see the flashes but not hear the thunder.... at least 15 miles away.

Out of the blue a lightning flash fairly close.... not a hit on the house, but when it flashed, a spark and a pop from the phone on my desk. followed by the thunder... not really loud.

The computer didn't blink because it was on a surge protected UPS.... the lights blinked and I clicked on shut down on the computer.   A check of the phone revealed it to be totally dead.

So... I fired up the computer today (not my DAW.... my business machine) and it seems to run fine. The only noticeable issue is that web pages and the internet run slow..... some sites won't even load, and trying to DL files today has proven to be impossible.

I have checked the other computers and the lappy which is wireless, seems to run OK... that's what I'm on now.

Did a virus scan with MSE & malware bytes, and that did not seem to find anything or improve the speed. I also ran a memory check, that showed all is OK...

Any ideas?

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 

12 Replies Related Threads

kurrykid
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 309
    Re:lightning surge hit the house 2011/06/13 23:19:36 (permalink)
    Can you swap out the network card with a different one to see if that might have taken a hit?  I'd also change the network cable as well (cat5) just to make sure it isn't something like that. Of course, I'm assuming it's a desktop that is hard-wired into your network.

HTH
    post edited by kurrykid - 2011/06/13 23:21:57

Dave
    Sonar 8.5E
    Intel i7-2600K
    8GB RAM
    Win7 Ultimate x64
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re:lightning surge hit the house 2011/06/14 01:12:37 (permalink)
    Lightning could kill the computer, but probably not make it stupid. How are you connected to the internet? Since most of what you describe as slow is internet connection, possibly the phone lines (cable?) took a hit.
    Old55
    • Total Posts : 19791
    Re:lightning surge hit the house 2011/06/14 01:35:15 (permalink)
    Give this a try.  Shut everything down.  The cable modem, the router and the PC.  Unplug them if you have to.  Wait for a minute or two then power up the cable modem.  Wait for it to boot completely, then power up the router and wait for it to finish booting.  Then, power up the PC. 

If things are still misbehaving, you can go into the router firmware and write down your settings.  Then, put the settings back to default and see if anything works better.  If it does, start restoring your original setting and see/hope that one of those settings is giving you the problem. 

If it's still a problem, you could also update the router firmware and try to input your settings again.

Good luck.

Should auld acquaintance be forgot--hey, who the hell are you guys?  

X2(X3 pending hardware upgrade), Emulator X2, E-mu 1212M, Virtual String Machine
    Guitarhacker
    Re:lightning surge hit the house 2011/06/14 08:18:37 (permalink)
    OK... this morning.....everything is back to normal speed.... all seems to be working good.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that it stays this way.  It could have been some sort of issue in the telecomm building up the road where the telephone company gear is located.

My plan was to call their tech support today if the speed was still slow and I was having issues logging on to sites.

One site that was damn near impossible to view yesterday was face book, but that was fine just a minute ago.

I'll see how it all goes today.

thanks for the suggestions.

BMI/NSAI

westom
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:lightning surge hit the house 2011/06/14 11:38:26 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker
    ... not a hit on the house, but when it flashed, a spark and a pop from the phone on my desk. followed by the thunder... not really loud.

Be concerned.  Protection means no energy inside a house.  Your phone sparked.  That means an incoming surge path existed.  And another path outgoing to earth is via that phone.

Protection inside each appliance was more than sufficient for that tiny surge.  But no such surge should have even been inside.  IOW correct a defective protection system.

All phones have best protection located at the demarc - where their wires meet yours.  This protector must be earthed to something only you install, are responsible for, and must maintain.  Earth ground.  That telco 'installed for free' protector must be connected as short as possible (ie 'less than 10 feet') to your single point earth ground.

Another path may be via an AC connection to some telephones.  Incoming on AC mains.  Outgoing to earth via a telco 'installed for free' protector.

Either way, the defect is simple.  Protection means no energy is inside a building.  You had energy inside.  Your protection system is defective.  How to discover that defect starts by asking what an incoming and outgoing electrical path was via the phone.  Then find a wire that was not properly earthed where it entered the building.

Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re:lightning surge hit the house 2011/06/14 18:26:17 (permalink)
    One day I arrived home to find LEDs lit up on some pieces of high-fi equipment, even though they were switched off.  It seemed  bizarre and inexplicable, until I found out from neighbours that the front wall of the house had been hit by lightening a few hours earlier.  Fortunately none of the equipment was permanently damaged, but the phone line was down.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:lightning surge hit the house 2011/06/15 00:17:56 (permalink)
    westom

All phones have best protection located at the demarc - where their wires meet yours.  This protector must be earthed to something only you install, are responsible for, and must maintain.  Earth ground.  

That's not entirely accurate.
    The phone/cable company is responsible for ensuring that the lines are properly grounded at the demarc. Your responsibility as a homeowner/tenant is to not mess with it and call us if it appears compromised.

That said, yes, grounding is very important, and I have seen a proper ground save a house from burning down when the aerial cable was struck by lightning.
    The insulation was melted from the cable upstream of the demarc and the ground wire. The cable entering the house was untouched.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Guitarhacker
    Re:lightning surge hit the house 2011/06/15 21:02:52 (permalink)
    OK... here's an update and response to posts.

Update: I called the DSL provider, an spoke to tech. I told them were I was located and they confirmed that there were several outages in NC due to storms and the area I am in was one that was experiencing sporadic outages and slow downs as a result.

I am in the fire/security systems business. 95% of ALL my lightning/surge damages come in to the panels via the phone line, not the AC power line. Phone line grounds are apparently not as well grounded.
    As a result, I install high quality surge protectors on ALL phone lines for my systems in front of the panel phone line input. This includes my house. 
    I was hit last year and THAT surge took out the surge suppressor and the panel dialer as well as my office phone and fax.
    This surge was not big enough to damage anything else, but was sufficient enough to get the weak link, which happened to be the cheap phone.  The surge suppressor will limit the surge to about 140v or so.... and that will not damage most of the phone line equipment, but it can cause damage to a cheap or poorly designed circuit, allowing an arc to jump a pair of close traces, and this can result in a spark when that arc happens. Light a lightbulb sparks when it blows out.

So far I have not seen any other damage, and have not checked the computer today to see if the net is back up totally. It is working fine with this lappy.

BMI/NSAI

Guitarhacker
    Re:lightning surge hit the house 2011/06/18 10:23:58 (permalink)
    final update:

fast one minute, slow the next.... so on a whim, I bought and installed a new NIC.... looks like problem solved.

pages are now loading almost instantly..... I hope this ends the issue.

BMI/NSAI

jm24
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2127
    Re:lightning surge hit the house 2011/06/18 12:11:18 (permalink)
    The surges can come through the dsl/cable modems and through routers, to the computer via ethernet cables.

Not many of us think about all the connections to the box.

I often disconnect the net cable during big storms.

A client recently got whopped. No hardware damage, but it reset the phone machine,  and nuked all the settings in the DSL modem and the router. 'Twas confusing for a while.
    Old55
    • Total Posts : 19791
    Re:lightning surge hit the house 2011/06/18 12:24:15 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

final update:

fast one minute, slow the next.... so on a whim, I bought and installed a new NIC.... looks like problem solved.

pages are now loading almost instantly..... I hope this ends the issue.

Glad to hear that.  I hope that's the end, too. 

Should auld acquaintance be forgot--hey, who the hell are you guys?  

X2(X3 pending hardware upgrade), Emulator X2, E-mu 1212M, Virtual String Machine
    flyline
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:lightning surge hit the house 2011/07/03 18:59:16 (permalink)
    Same thing just happened to me.  It was the ether net card.  
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1