Diamonds and Furs

Author
mcourter
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3442
2011/06/15 16:56:26 (permalink)

Diamonds and Furs

A year or so ago, James Yoyo posted a couple of funk songs that I liked a lot. It gave me the urge to try some white boy funk myself. The result of that is my latest effort, Diamonds and Furs.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10752270

This is not the first time that listening to a forum friend has inspired a song. I've been influenced likewise by Kenny Wilson, Daryl Crowley, and Steve Strummer as well. It conveniently gives me someone to blame

So please have a listen and let me know what you think. Thanks!
Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
Unbridled Enthusiasm
 My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter

20 Replies Related Threads

spacey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8769
    Re:Diamonds and Furs 2011/06/15 17:41:37 (permalink)
    Enjoyed the listen Mark but kept being distracted by the guitar pick....usually caused
    by to much compression. Thought I'd add....a thin pick can make that sound too.

post edited by spacey - 2011/06/15 17:52:55
    rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Diamonds and Furs 2011/06/15 17:42:59 (permalink)
    When you first meet them? And you have all of those brain chemicals going? You'd do anything for that *** and then at some point? Most people would do anything to get away from it...

I think you did a pretty good job, but it's only moderately funky :-) You need to spend a few days watching brother Don Cornielus, George Clinton, James Brown. 

I enjoyed your tune.

P.S., now that Spacey mentions it? There was quite a clickety clack coming from that pick.

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re:Diamonds and Furs 2011/06/15 22:17:01 (permalink)
    Hey, I like this.  I don't find the pick distracting I think it sets the vibe in many ways.  I like the slightly dissonant groove.

Yea, I like this a bunch.  Robbie may think it moderatly funky but that's because he's sooo funky

This is plenty funky for this old time rocker.  The lead break could use a little more zing / volume but this tune would make me drive fast.

Nice work, really.

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Diamonds and Furs 2011/06/16 00:18:46 (permalink)
    a-ha!

I certainly feel a bit of YoyoFactory's contagious vibe in this, especially the 1st 30 secs.

Pitch is deliberately off in places ... so your funk-song may feel funkier and sweeter after several listens of your unique and awesome vibe.

But on 1st listen, the rhythm guitar is my fav hook here ... and I wouldn't mind it upward compressed a bit stronger for funk's sake (just my silly thoughts).

In my demented vox-centered universe and current wackiness:

The lead vox (to my ears) might beg a hint more compression, centering, and/or more edge-presence and clarity ... (upper EQ?) and/or upper color (saturation)
    Or perhaps HPF the lead vox slightly more to allow rhythm and guitar instruments more space ? ,,, and grant his message more edge, upper-presence, and character (5kHz+).

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:Diamonds and Furs 2011/06/16 03:28:58 (permalink)
    Nice vibe to this mark, I've been listening to a band called Vintage Trouble lately, similar funky blues grooves - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsw4ipHcMvY

Great vocal performance on this Mark, I think it's best I've heard from you, real good one, and I liked the way you've double tracked it.

One of the guitars is very 'crispy' as mentioned above, but there's some cool riffing going on in there too, nice work.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    mcourter
    Re:Diamonds and Furs 2011/06/16 10:54:14 (permalink)
    Spacey - that pick noise in the guitar solo is actually deliberate, trying to do a sort of percussive thing with it, a la Hendrix in the opening bars of Voodoo Chile. The rest of it, however, is the result of the guitar I was using, a Carvin with Fender American Standard pups that just might be too close to the strings. I get a very bright tone with those pups.

Robby - "Moderately" funky? Did I not mention "white boy funk?" You think James Brown was truly funky his first try? (Actually, he probably was) Man, you're tough! But you seem to have liked it, so that's cool. Thanks for listening.

Daryl, thanks for coming to my defense, "plenty funky for an old time rocker," which aptly describes me. Glad you liked it.

Philip, thanks for being so specific. The lead vox is centered, but I run it through stereo delay with a ms difference in right/left tracks to widen the sound, a technique recommended by Bobby Owsinski rather than double track it. Getting clarity out of my mic setup is always a challenge.

James, I'm glad you liked it. Stephanie definitely didn't care for the octave vocals, but that's what I hear in my head for this one, so I went with my instincts rather than a harmony. This is about as funky as I'm ever likely to get. Thanks for the feedback.

I appreciate the comments, people. I need you!
    Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
    spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    Re:Diamonds and Furs 2011/06/16 12:24:41 (permalink)
    Cool Mark. I've had stuff like that go by and didn't notice until it was mentioned.
    I was getting a percussive attitude so it worked!
    I guess my favorite funk was back in 74-75 Average White Band.
    I'd probably listen to them for writing inspiration. Liked what you did though.
    alkie
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2706
    Re:Diamonds and Furs 2011/06/16 20:06:24 (permalink)
    Very Funky little tune you got goin on...Can`t wait to hear the Mastered version.

Whoa.... to you ...oh...earth and sea...
    for the devil sends the beast with wrath.....
    because he knows the time is short.....
    let him who hath understanding.....
    reckon the number of the beast.....
    for it is a human number...
    it`s number is.....

So if JESUS rose from the DEAD
    Does that mean he`s the ORIGINAL ZOMBIE?
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:Diamonds and Furs 2011/06/16 21:54:48 (permalink)
    Yeah, this is definitely funk!  I think to take it up a notch would be to use a funkier drum beat. The guitar playing is swell ( and we all know how hard that is to come by) The pick clicks sound great during the solo's but IMHO are still a little bright during the strumming... But I agree they do add character .. Mission Accomplished! Overall, I really like the vibe. The singing is really nice as well as the overall performance.

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:Diamonds and Furs 2011/06/17 13:36:15 (permalink)
    This baby really cracks the whip.  Snap rhythm guitar is sweet.  I like the vocal filtering.   nice guitar work all around.
    I would give the bass a super boost on this.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:Diamonds and Furs 2011/06/17 16:29:23 (permalink)
    Hi Mark,

Cool song!

I was a little put off by the pick click at first but I'm on my 2nd listen and it fits perfectly now especially in the solo section

The octave vocals are very nice. The production/mix sounds great from here.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    mcourter
    Re:Diamonds and Furs 2011/06/17 17:45:11 (permalink)
    Thanks, Alkie - It might be a while before it's mastered....until I learn to do it myself, that is....

Tap, No How, Gary - thanks for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it

Unbridled Enthusiasm
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    Re:Diamonds and Furs 2011/06/19 10:56:48 (permalink)
    This tune reminded me of The Clash in spots. Loved the vocals! I think those 'spanking guitars' fit very well. Clean, shimmering, funk chords (9ths??) Bass line is solid and I'd like to hear that cranked a bit more as Rick mentioned. I think yer fingers were smokin' on those leads!!

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:Diamonds and Furs 2011/06/19 14:58:49 (permalink)
    Good stuff there, Mark.  I really liked this, and was definitely picking up a clash kind of vibe.  Great lead break (the bass was a standout too), and the vocals felt great for the tune.  Nice job on this.
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    Re:Diamonds and Furs 2011/06/20 19:33:20 (permalink)
    That's awesome Mark.  Great production and brilliant composition.  Once again I find your lead playing even better than the last time.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    mcourter
    Re:Diamonds and Furs 2011/06/20 21:35:40 (permalink)
    Thanks, Larry! The chords are G13, C9, D9, good ear, pal. a couple of maj7 chords in the little break.  I thought it was a good bass part too, insofar as I believe I played like a bass player rather than a guitarist with a bass.

Thanks for the feedback, Phil, and the comment about the bass too.

Mark, thank you very much, I appreciate your encouragement. I think I'm finally learning to play over the chords.

Unbridled Enthusiasm
    Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:Diamonds and Furs 2011/06/21 05:48:03 (permalink)
    Hey, Mark,

This is a really cool, very funky song, brother!

Sort of like funk mixed in with a little R&B and some early Hendrix vibe thrown in for good measure.

The beginning intro and the turnarounds kind of reminded me of Cross Town Traffic, the choppy rhythm guitar parts and tone sounded great, and the solos were absolutely fantastic.

The excellent vocals and harmonies were right on the money, as always, and I thought that the lyrics were really clever.

Nice one, Mark, you really hit this out of the park, my friend! 
    Bob

Maxprizm
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    Re:Diamonds and Furs 2011/06/21 16:40:33 (permalink)
    Great tune man, I dig the guitar sound, unique. Love the solo's as well. Drums feel a bit stiff or straight for that funky guitar but overall great tune! Dig the vox octave's too.

Ed Edge

radio
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2782
    Re:Diamonds and Furs 2011/06/21 17:40:54 (permalink)

Nice one Mark ! Radio

mcourter
    Re:Diamonds and Furs 2011/06/21 19:39:23 (permalink)
    Hey Bob, thanks. A home run! Sure I can see what you mean with the Crosstown Traffic reference. Glad you liked it.

Ed! Holy Toledo, a rare appearance. I use Jammer for drums, and mostly I like the results. But sometimes I have to accommodate my tune to what I can do drumwise.  But what have YOU got in the works? I like your stuff, what's been shakin?

Radio, thanks for the listen, pal.

Unbridled Enthusiasm
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1