Gain Staging

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Bristol_Jonesey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16775
2011/06/15 06:48:01 (permalink)

Gain Staging

Maybe a simple question, but I'll ask nonetheless - how do we know if our signals are correctly feeding our plugs in their sweet spot?

The track meters, being POST fader are useless for this yes?

I'm inclined to stick a plug at the top of the chain which displays input level - the sonitus Compressor seems like a good candidate, and then sue track trim to bring the incoming signal to the required level.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Cheers, Jonesey

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,

58 Replies Related Threads

Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    • Total Posts : 9200
    Re:Gain Staging 2011/06/15 07:16:01 (permalink)
    The waveform on the track display gives you a good enough idea of input level.   If its flatline with a few bumps then you recorded to quiet, but anything that actually looks like a decent waveform will drive the FX bin just fine.

Mekashi Futo
    Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:Gain Staging 2011/06/15 07:26:47 (permalink)
    The meters don't have to be post-fader. You can always change them to pre-fader. Regarding the compressor, instead of raising the gain of a track/clip, couldn't you just lower the threshold of the compressor? Wouldn't that have the same effect? I could be wrong; I'm certainly no expert on compressors (or anything else). What other plug-ins are you concerned about regarding input levels? I would think that plug-ins that require a certain level for optimum results would have some kind of input level control.

Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    Re:Gain Staging 2011/06/15 07:34:05 (permalink)
    Chappel,  changing the meter to pre-fader is not the same as having the meter showing the channel input, pre-FX bin.

Mekashi Futo
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

Bristol_Jonesey
    Re:Gain Staging 2011/06/15 07:51:32 (permalink)
    Perhaps I'm worrying about nothing, but it's good to stimulate some debate.

Chappel, regarding my compressor example, I was thinking of the opposite scenario when the incoming signal maybe a little too hot for the compressor, making it difficult to ascertain where the threshold might be.

But thinking about what Karyn said, a situation like this should show up by a bigger waveform which in turn suggests I'm tracking too hot.

But this doesn't explain why so many soft synth patches seem to be ridiculously loud coming out of the synth.

Let's keep this going, if we can.
    post edited by Bristol_Jonesey - 2011/06/15 07:53:12

Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Gain Staging 2011/06/15 08:16:42 (permalink)
    Think of the waveform drawing as a seismographic printout.

It IS a meter that shows the time component.

If your waveform peaks are at -9dB then you know you can apply up to +9dBFS trim and you'll be ok at the fxbin.

It's perfectly obvious but I think it's ok to repeatably speak about the idea because I think some folks overlook all the info represented by the waveform drawing.

I agree that each EFX should have an input and output meter... it's 2011 already. :-)

best regards,
    mike

Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:Gain Staging 2011/06/15 08:26:00 (permalink)
    On the Sonitus compressor you can see how much gain reduction is going on, and the Threshold control is right on the Input Meter, so we've got some pretty good visual clues right there as to where the threshold is. The number at the top of the Gain Reduction Meter shows the max amount reduced... that's pretty handy. I've been playing around with this one a bit after reading some of Jeff Evans' lengthy discourses on the subject.

As far as the output being too loud, I like to Bypass the FX and see where the level is on the track/bus I'm using it on. Then I engage the FX and use the Gain slider to match that level.

post edited by Chappel - 2011/06/15 09:40:17
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Re:Gain Staging 2011/06/15 09:16:02 (permalink)
    Good example Chappel, and exactly what I was talking about.

The area you've circled on the left can cause specific problems if/when the input meter on the left isn't bouncing around happily in the middle of it's "action range" but appears to "pegged"  close to the top. This is when I think it would be prudent to trim the input down a bit.

Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:Gain Staging 2011/06/15 09:31:35 (permalink)
    Chappel

As far as the output being too loud, I like to Bypass the FX and see where the level in on the track/bus I'm using it on. Then I engage the FX and use the Gain slider to match that level.

That is exactly what I do also, Chappel. I record in at -6dB at all times. I've just had the best results recording at that signal level. Then with any effects I bring in, I toggle off and on to match up levels so that the effects don't boost or lose volume...unless of course they are supposed to in that particular situation. :)

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    drewfx1
    Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6585
    Re:Gain Staging 2011/06/15 12:03:18 (permalink)
    Meters are pretty much useless in this case, as, contrary to popular belief, there is no universal "correct level" standard for plugins.

Some don't care at all and will produce 100% identical results at -200dB or +200dB.

Others don't really want to (or in a very few cases can't) go above 0dB.

Others may offer gradual saturation as you approach and pass 0dB.

A plugin's "sweet spot" is wherever the programmers decided to put it. And though some of them might try to mimic some sort of "analog levels" when designing response, there is no set standard for where that should be in a plugin. And even if there was, some designers might want to deliberately emphasize distortion characteristics while others might want to give you a bit more headroom.

IOW, you need to use your ears - it's the only way.

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
    Danny Danzi
    Re:Gain Staging 2011/06/15 12:30:47 (permalink)
    Same here, Drew. I never look at the meters or readouts in the plugs. On the Sonitus, I just look at how much gain reduction it's doing...but never look at the meters or anything. If I hear something weird on my end, it's usually a track that is too hot that may clip once in a while...so I just back it down and the artifacts I heard go away. But I always adjust plugs by ear toggling them off and on to make sure they are not boosting or cutting my signal. I've seen some plug meters clip yet the sound didn't sound like it was clipping to me at all, so I never pay any attention to that stuff.

My Site
    drewfx1
    Re:Gain Staging 2011/06/15 13:02:36 (permalink)
    Danny Danzi

I've seen some plug meters clip yet the sound didn't sound like it was clipping to me at all, so I never pay any attention to that stuff. 

One of the points is that because the plugins are in floating point digital, it means they can go hundreds dB above 0dB without clipping themselves, and that the only way they respond to level differences at all is the way in which they were deliberately programmed to do (IOW, if a plugin itself clips, it means it was designed to do so). And since you don't generally know what the programmer's intentions were, the meters can't tell you anything particularly useful.

I suppose if you played with the input level for a particular plugin and watched the meters, you might note what level that plugin liked best. But I think it's extremely unlikely the ideal level will be very consistent across different plugins from different authors.

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
    Danny Danzi
    Re:Gain Staging 2011/06/15 13:07:18 (permalink)
    drewfx1

Danny Danzi

I've seen some plug meters clip yet the sound didn't sound like it was clipping to me at all, so I never pay any attention to that stuff. 

they can go hundreds dB above 0dB without clipping themselves, and that the only way they respond to level differences at all is the way in which they were deliberately programmed to do (IOW, if a plugin itself clips, it means it was designed to do so). And since you don't generally know what the programmer's intentions were, the meters can't tell you anything particularly useful. 

Now that's interesting Drew, thanks for sharing it. I don't get too much into the scientific stuff or how things work or process, I just use my ears and adjust until it sounds right. It's nice to know though, that when the plugs clip, it's nothing to be alarmed about. Like I say though, I never watch that sort of thing, but have always wondered why a plug may show a hot meter yet no artifacts on the track either in real time or once the track is exported. Good to know, thanks. :)

My Site
    jm24
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2127
    Re:Gain Staging 2011/06/15 13:10:46 (permalink)
    To be clearer: sonar does not clip.  Lots of conversation elsewhere about this. 32 bit floating calculations will not clip during our use for audio.

Coming in from hardware (drivers) and going out, are clipping points. This is where 0db is the top of the room. But the sonar meters at 0db do not always reference to 0db. My hardware is 24 bit, non-floating, it can actually clip ("tops" of "wave forms" are flattened).

But, not all plugs use 32 bit processing so they can be driven over the top.

The track/bus meters are useful for identifing what plug may be unhappy.

Sweet spot?  As written, this is a programmers' decision. I think is it related to the lowest signal to be recognized as above the "noise floor." And what the effect does. Compressors are not going to be useful if the signal is too low to get to the top.

And so on.

J
    Danny Danzi
    Re:Gain Staging 2011/06/15 13:18:25 (permalink)
    jm24

To be clearer: sonar does not clip.  Lots of conversation elsewhere about this. 32 bit floating calculations will not clip during our use for audio.

Coming in from hardware (drivers) and going out, are clipping points. This is where 0db is the top of the room. But the sonar meters at 0db do not always reference to 0db. My hardware is 24 bit, non-floating, it can actually clip ("tops" of "wave forms" are flattened).

But, not all plugs use 32 bit processing so they can be driven over the top.

The track/bus meters are useful for identifing what plug may be unhappy.

Sweet spot?  As written, this is a programmers' decision. I think is it related to the lowest signal to be recognized as above the "noise floor." And what the effect does. Compressors are not going to be useful if the signal is too low to get to the top.

And so on.

J

J, what DOES clip that gives us an artifact if track levels are too high? If it's not Sonar, what is it? Maybe I'm not understanding you and you're referring to plugs only?

For example, sometimes when I'm mixing something, I may hear some digital distortion or little clicks going on. When this happens, it's always one of two things...

My track level may have been raised a bit too high over time and I'll notice over's that have entered the picture.

Or, my master bus may be a bit hot. Lowering it or the offending track(s) fixes the issue every time for me. I never record near 0dB so it's not like the track was clipped at the print. I guess I'm just a bit confused by what you meant when you said "sonar does not clip".

My Site
    drewfx1
    Re:Gain Staging 2011/06/15 13:22:48 (permalink)
    Danny Danzi

drewfx1

Danny Danzi

they can go hundreds dB above 0dB without clipping themselves, and that the only way they respond to level differences at all is the way in which they were deliberately programmed to do (IOW, if a plugin itself clips, it means it was designed to do so). And since you don't generally know what the programmer's intentions were, the meters can't tell you anything particularly useful. 

Now that's interesting Drew, thanks for sharing it. I don't get too much into the scientific stuff or how things work or process, I just use my ears and adjust until it sounds right. It's nice to know though, that when the plugs clip, it's nothing to be alarmed about. Like I say though, I never watch that sort of thing, but have always wondered why a plug may show a hot meter yet no artifacts on the track either in real time or once the track is exported. Good to know, thanks. :)

The short answer is Sonar (and most modern DAW's) have absolutely tons of headroom internally. So you can only technically clip before you enter Sonar (at your analog to digital converter), or when you leave Sonar (either through your audio interface or when writing a 16bit or 24bit file). Or if a plugin is deliberately designed to clip.
    So even though some meters might be in the red, as long as you keep your Master below 0dB, things can sound good - because technically you are never actually clipping.

But my advice is always, "Unless you understand exactly where you are and are not allowed to go over 0dB, you probably shouldn't". 

Danny Danzi
    Re:Gain Staging 2011/06/15 13:49:24 (permalink)
    Ok, so that also explains what J meant when he said "Sonar doesn't clip". Makes total sense, thanks Drew!

My Site
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Re:Gain Staging 2011/06/15 15:55:40 (permalink)
    This has become more interesting than I thought!

Thanks to all who chimed in - it's certainly cleared a hell of a lot of fog away.

Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Gain Staging 2011/06/16 01:06:00 (permalink)
    I suppose the debate might cause one to hypothesize:

If you/I 'clip' anywhere in the *CPU-floating* 24-bit Sonar signal chain (i.e., with excess plugin volume-gain or such)

... it is / is-not

... possible to lower the buss input-level to 'fix' such "clipping errors".

Personally, I would not gleefully trust anything 'almost clipped' especially after hyper-compression, verb, fx-processing, etc ... despite being within the Sonar-in-the-box signal chain. 

The Ops "sweet spot" hypothesis seems a serious pondering, IIRC ...

Fortunately, artists are patient compulsive beauticians that intuitively redeem mistakes to not utterly ruin the big picture.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Gain Staging 2011/06/16 02:49:04 (permalink)
    Use your ears... My mixes continue to improve, I listen to what people say? And I use my tools? And I use my ears.

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Gain Staging 2011/06/16 08:02:45 (permalink)
    I've been reading this thread for a while... so yesterday I decided to test the theory.

I had a SONAR session yesterday... and the first thing I did was check and see if the theory holds up.

I was able to clip the SONAR engine within seconds.

Two tracks of audio... and the level faders were all I needed.

I think the 64bit engine gives you lots of flexibility... but it's not clip proof.

BTW, SONAR has a clip protection feature that smooths out the hard clips and prevents full on square wave clipping... so you may think you don't hear digital clipping because you hear something that sounds like bad analog distortion... that's SONAR's digital clipping sound.

Furthermore I'd suggest that it is awfully hard to hear digital clipping that occurs above 8kHz... it just happens too fast. The hi frequency clipping you can't hear discreetly still provides lots of aggravation and ugliness to the high end... the easiest way to avoid that issue is to trust the meters. If they are in the red... they are trying to tell you something.

anyways....

best regards,
    mike

post edited by mike_mccue - 2011/06/16 08:23:37

SCorey
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 538
    Re:Gain Staging 2011/06/16 10:09:33 (permalink)
    I was able to clip the SONAR engine within seconds. Two tracks of audio... and the level faders were all I needed.

How? Inquiring minds want to know.

-Steve Corey
    drewfx1
    Re:Gain Staging 2011/06/16 11:53:52 (permalink)
    You can't "clip" Sonar's engine outside of the mad scientists laboratory. This is easily proven, and has been proven repeatedly, over and over and over and over again, every single time this comes up. 

Look it up. In every single case, the people who swear they are "clipping" Sonar's engine are in fact clipping their sound card at the output, or perhaps going through a plugin that's causing the distortion.

With 32bit floating point, you will not clip until you are more than 600dB above the point where your sound card will clip at Sonar's output. It is impossible to clip in this situation, unless you deliberately add mountains of gain (likely using a custom plugin you wrote yourself) or you are somehow running thousands and thousands and thousands of tracks simultaneously.

Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    Re:Gain Staging 2011/06/16 12:02:30 (permalink)
    IF anyones interested I just did a quick test.

Load a sinewave in TTS-1, played a chord, adding one note at a time, building to 7 notes.

On the audio track receiving the TTS audio, set input trim to max (+18db), set fader to max, the first note alone triggers the overload lights...

Send the track to a bus, set bus input trim to max, set bus fader to max, bus meter is permanently pinned on max.

Audio at this point in an analogue system would be so distorted you'd be getting almost pure square wave output...

Send the bus to "Master" bus, use Master fader to keep level below Full Scale (about -3dbfs) so the exported 24bit .wav is not clipped, export Master bus to .wav

Examining the .wav you see each added note increases the level as expected but there is no distortion. The track and bus meters were permanently pinned on max the whole time but the sine waves are not affected.

It would be interesting (although useless) to know just how hard the internal bus can be pushed before distortion (or a numeric overflow) sets in.

Mekashi Futo

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Gain Staging 2011/06/16 14:17:12 (permalink)
    "Send the bus to "Master" bus, use Master fader to keep level below Full Scale (about -3dbfs)"

There's the difference... I turn that master bus sucker UP (in track view... not the console view main outs) and get me some phat bounce.

It also seems to me that more plug ins than not, that I own and and use, do not have 64bit windows and so each of them can be fried on the inputs ad outputs... when it starts to sound grainy and spitty... that's not some special modeled distortion... that is distortion.

best regards,
    mike

drewfx1
    Re:Gain Staging 2011/06/16 14:38:51 (permalink)
    Karyn

It would be interesting (although useless) to know just how hard the internal bus can be pushed before distortion (or a numeric overflow) sets in. 

By my calculations, 32bit single-precision floating point should clip at about +771dB.

And 64bit double-precision floating point should clip at about +6165dB.  

To put this in perspective:
    If we sum 2 tracks that peak at 0dB, we get a maximum possible peak (the 2 tracks' 0dB peaks happening at the same instant) of ~+6dB. 
    4 tracks would be ~+12dB. 
    8 tracks would be ~+18dB.  
    10 tracks would be +20dB
    100 tracks would be +40dB
    1000 tacks would be +60dB

To get to +771dB, you would need to sum more than 340,282,346,638,529,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 tracks, with each one of them peaking at 0dB at the same instant.

Let's not even talk about 64bit.

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Gain Staging 2011/06/16 14:45:20 (permalink)

"To get to +771dB, you would need to sum more than 340,282,346,638,529,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 tracks, with each one of them peaking at 0dB at the same instant."

But you only need a single instance of Sonitus EQ being clipped to make it all sound awful.

:-)

drewfx1
    Re:Gain Staging 2011/06/16 15:05:06 (permalink)
    mike_mccue

"To get to +771dB, you would need to sum more than 340,282,346,638,529,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 tracks, with each one of them peaking at 0dB at the same instant."

But you only need a single instance of Sonitus EQ being clipped to make it all sound awful.

Sonitus EQ is 32bit fp, and it won't clip either...

If your clipping at all Mike, you ain't clipping where you think you're clipping.

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Gain Staging 2011/06/16 15:19:44 (permalink)
    It's somewhere in there.

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Gain Staging 2011/06/16 21:09:58 (permalink)
    It still amuses me why people are talking about being up so close to 0db FS and clipping. You can do a complete production and be well clear of any clipping anywhere. On tracks, plugins, busses, final mixes and in mastering (close rather than well clear!).  It is possible to end up with a loud punchy master and not clip anywhere on the way there. (Keep your monitor levels up, it helps keep signals down within your DAW)

As far as gain staging is concerned having some sort of reference is always going to be your friend and of course K system levels will help in this regard too. Firstly if you have your VU's monitoring even your main stereo buss you can easily get the correct levels recorded onto tracks. If you are working even at K -14 and your average levels are around -14 db FS then you still have a clear 14 db of headroom up your sleeve. I still say it is nice to have a calibrated VU (either real or virutal eg BlueCat) showing you what is going on while you are setting levels for tracking stages.

By opening up individual tracks in an editing program and doing some level sweetening operations you will also ensure you are on the money level wise. Its nice to tame a few peaks and raise the overall rms track levels if you can. Helps in the mixing stages. You are not going off trying to trim up weak tracks for example.

From there it is into and out of plugins and yes it is easy to forget the input and output meters on many plugins. They generally won't show rms levels but will be peak more than likely but that is still good as it will tell if a plugin is being clipped on the way in or out at least.

The BlueCat meter plugin is good because it does show both rms and peak levels, can be set for K system and draws very little CPU as well. They are very handy to just insert before or after any plugins or any point in your signal chain if you are concerned about levels anywhere. I think accurate level monitoring is actually quite important and better than your ears for this sort of thing. Your ears will only tell you if things are very bad and smashed out of whack level wise. By the time you start hearing it, a lot of damage can already be done. And while you might not hear it with everything going it might show it self up somewhere else in the music.

I have found that the Mastering Multiband compressor in Sonar is one plugin that you do have to pay attention to in terms of its input levels at least. Sometimes I find the signal is just falling 3 or 4 db short all the time and it is very easy to just trim that up a tad. It will change how all the thresholds obviously are going to respond. So do it first!

If you do use a compressor on a track and you are consistently getting say - 3db of gain reduction, then you need to add that amount of gain back into the makeup gain to get the signal back to where it was. That is what makeup gain is for.  The makeup gain control is also good for stealing an extra db or two here and there. An equaliser is another place gain can be lost especially if you are cutting areas rather than boosting. If you dip out a big (or even smaller) section of the spectrum you will need to trim the output level back up again to restore signal levels. Sometimes by a lot, but it is then you really start to hear how that equed signal really sounds once it is back to normal level wise. And it is usually nice!
    post edited by Jeff Evans - 2011/06/16 23:00:03

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1