Rapture upgrade - is it worth it?

Author
Somerset
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 634
2011/06/16 20:56:09 (permalink)

Rapture upgrade - is it worth it?

I am considering taking advantage of the $49 upgrade price for Rapture (from LE) and am interested in any opinions about how much better it is than the LE version I got with Sonar. I like a lot of the Rapture patches, so if the new presets are of the same caliber then I'll probably think it's good value. Any views from full Rapture owners?

10 Replies Related Threads

RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Rapture upgrade - is it worth it? 2011/06/16 21:35:01 (permalink)
    Yes, it's worth it.
    I paid $99 for Rapture, which was a great deal at the time.
    The full version has a lot more presets, plus it is more controllable, and versatile, than the LE version.
    I like playing Rapture with a controller, because it allows you to work the patches.
    Here are two examples:
    http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=6300120

The drums in this one are from Session Drummer2 (also a worthwhile download at $10), but the rest is one patch in Rapture, with a little keyboard manipulation.
    http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=6170515

This one is a straight patch, again with some keyboard tickling.
    Both of these use unaltered presets.
    If you want to dig a little deeper, you have plenty of room, and I have heard some incredible stuff that people have done with it.
    At $49, this qualifies as a no-brainer.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:Rapture upgrade - is it worth it? 2011/06/16 21:44:12 (permalink)
    it's a great synth at that price.... but the add on packs make it very nice also

http://patcharena.com/index.php?subcat=83&

go there and get muz3um which is free also .. along with other things

but there are pay for expansion packs which are nice also.  fi sound do one, dsf and cakewalk of course

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Rapture upgrade - is it worth it? 2011/06/16 23:10:05 (permalink)
    Worth it.  And the best add on pack is Museum @ PatchArena.com.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    czyky
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 193
    Re:Rapture upgrade - is it worth it? 2011/06/17 00:44:28 (permalink)
    Yeah, the added preset are valuable. (Also, If you try some of the third parties, wow! do they give you a bunch of new twists on the versatility of RP.)

If you use Rapture casually, you may never use the parameters that the full version gives you. BUT, if you start to use it regularly, you'll want to at least be tweaking parameters that only the full version allows, to make things sit better in the mix, even if you don't go so far as to making your own programs. Just being able to dink with the step generator may be enough value to a Rapture convert, heck even just being able to work with portamento (which I, coming from hardware synths, think is pretty basic and required) is reason enough. 

Put simply, with Rapture LE you can get a taste of "deep" (and mighty tasty it is), with Rapture, you can go there yourself.

"I can't think of a single example of where a big company buying a small company has ultimately been good for consumers." --bitflipper
    www.reverbnation.com/markadamczyk
    www.adamczyk.com
    Somerset
    Re:Rapture upgrade - is it worth it? 2011/06/17 08:20:01 (permalink)
    RobertB

Yes, it's worth it.
    I paid $99 for Rapture, which was a great deal at the time.
    The full version has a lot more presets, plus it is more controllable, and versatile, than the LE version.
    I like playing Rapture with a controller, because it allows you to work the patches.
    Here are two examples:
    http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=6300120

The drums in this one are from Session Drummer2 (also a worthwhile download at $10), but the rest is one patch in Rapture, with a little keyboard manipulation.
    http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=6170515

This one is a straight patch, again with some keyboard tickling.
    Both of these use unaltered presets.
    If you want to dig a little deeper, you have plenty of room, and I have heard some incredible stuff that people have done with it.
    At $49, this qualifies as a no-brainer.
    Thanks for the reply. I had a listen to those examples, and I'm pretty much sold. Really nice work!

Somerset
    Re:Rapture upgrade - is it worth it? 2011/06/17 08:22:14 (permalink)
    Fog

it's a great synth at that price.... but the add on packs make it very nice also

http://patcharena.com/index.php?subcat=83&

go there and get muz3um which is free also .. along with other things

but there are pay for expansion packs which are nice also.  fi sound do one, dsf and cakewalk of course
    Thanks Fog. Just wondering...do you have to have the full version of Rapture to use these expansion packs?

Somerset
    Re:Rapture upgrade - is it worth it? 2011/06/17 08:24:35 (permalink)
    Thanks AT and czyky - I am definitely sold. Time to rip the old plastic out of the wallet :)
    czyky
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 193
    Re:Rapture upgrade - is it worth it? 2011/06/17 12:25:18 (permalink)
    To answer your question to fog. Rapture LE (and Dim LE) will playback all patches. You just can't edit lots of parameters of the patches (or even see what the parameters are in some cases). I started with Rapture LE and got one of the 3rd party samples sets. Sounded so neat, but I couldn't see what was being modified--or rather, I could see that invisible stuff was being modified--so that sold me on upgrading.

By the way, the full version gets the manual in paper (used to at least), which is fairly complete and a nice reference. I have stickies all over mine.

"I can't think of a single example of where a big company buying a small company has ultimately been good for consumers." --bitflipper
    www.reverbnation.com/markadamczyk
    www.adamczyk.com
    Metaphasic
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 262
    Re:Rapture upgrade - is it worth it? 2011/06/17 13:16:16 (permalink)
    Absolutely worth it. I love it!
    Somerset
    Re:Rapture upgrade - is it worth it? 2011/06/18 10:21:27 (permalink)
    czyky

To answer your question to fog. Rapture LE (and Dim LE) will playback all patches. You just can't edit lots of parameters of the patches (or even see what the parameters are in some cases). I started with Rapture LE and got one of the 3rd party samples sets. Sounded so neat, but I couldn't see what was being modified--or rather, I could see that invisible stuff was being modified--so that sold me on upgrading.

By the way, the full version gets the manual in paper (used to at least), which is fairly complete and a nice reference. I have stickies all over mine.

Thanks for the reply. I don't think there will be any paper manual though, as this upgrade is download only - as far as I know. I am going to download in the next couple of days.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1