Whats with this generation and minor keys?

Author
Raba_licious
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 65
2011/06/17 21:13:16 (permalink)

Whats with this generation and minor keys?

Am I the only one that notices that a big share of our mainstream music these days are written in minor keys? Like a lot of electronic, pop, electrohop, and hip hop are. I do listen to older generation's music and they have many more songs written in a major key and are more complex. However, there are some poplar songs these days written in major but I tend to not like or feel those paticular songs much. (like I got a feeling, Yeah 3x, Club Can't Handle Me, Empire State of Mind, etc). I shouldnt rlly talk cause a lot of my work is done in the minor key but yeah. Does anyone else have thoughts on that?

1 Reply Related Threads

darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re:Whats with this generation and minor keys? 2011/06/18 09:23:09 (permalink)
    In many ways minor keys are easier to be creative with and they inspire a lot of emotion.  I write in minor keys a lot myself, and I find it harder to be creative in major keys.  Especially Minor 9th.

I also have penchant for Major 7ths.  Some people find major 7ths to "pop" sounding, relegating it to some sort of Muzak.  I still like major 7ths and where would the old jazz standards be with out Major 7th.

I think the bottom line is minor keys are cool.  I think there is a lot more emotional
     content in struming a Minor 7th than a Major 7th.  It's both a beautiful sound and dark sound.  But like everything else, it shouldn't be done to the exclusion of all else.

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1