Mix feedback please: our song - Burden Of Truth NEW MIX 6/29 @ 2:04PM CST

Author
spindlebox
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2645
2011/06/20 21:29:28 (permalink)

Mix feedback please: our song - Burden Of Truth NEW MIX 6/29 @ 2:04PM CST

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10770526

Hello!  Looking for fresh ears on this mix.  Trying to really get a stripped down sound for our mixes.  We record live now too.

There is a middle break where the guitar solo is going, but otherwise, I think all of the instrumentation is there.

Just looking for mix help here, not composition help.

Thank you for your time!!
post edited by spindlebox - 2011/06/29 15:05:45

22 Replies Related Threads

spindlebox
    Re:Mix feedback please: our song - Burden Of Truth 2011/06/21 08:01:23 (permalink)
    ?

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:Mix feedback please: our song - Burden Of Truth 2011/06/21 09:06:01 (permalink)
    Sounds like a modern, typical up against the wall mix, then considering your bio.

Which studio did you record it at?

To my ears there are a number of vocal transients 'T' and 'S' that remind me of Wookiee singing, which is fatal to any non Wookiee being, they almost hurt.

The Sound click version cuts off with a nasty click.

Having said that I did listen to then end and to a couple of other tracks from your different web presences.

(For reference I am listening on Event 20/20 passives in a dedicated project studio control room that has a reasonable level of sound control and bass trapping.)

If you were playing somewhere I was, I would probably not walk out.

Thanks for sharing.

Edit: Furry Paws make for poor typing skills.
    post edited by Wookiee - 2011/06/21 09:07:15

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    spindlebox
    Re:Mix feedback please: our song - Burden Of Truth 2011/06/21 10:09:50 (permalink)
    Wookie, thanks for taking the time; I know there is much engineering to do on that Bucket Of Bolts you call the Millenium Falcon.

We recorded here in MY project studio (www.cauldronsoundwerx.com/recordingstudio.aspx)

I suppose I have gotten used to Mrs. Kat's slippery tongue on her vocals, I will definitely take a harder listen to those, perhaps do some de-essing.

Due to your excellent setup; I suppose I shouldn't be too concerned about balance and tone.  That was my main concern - though I'm still not totally sure I am satisfied yet.  I may be on that "slippery slope" though. 

My main objective is to get this first one sounding tonally excellent, and then move on to the others using similar settings.

Thank you for your kind compliment of not walking out! 

I really appreciate your time!!

Scott

jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:Mix feedback please: our song - Burden Of Truth 2011/06/21 11:52:48 (permalink)
    I know you are the bass player, and a darn good one at that, but it is way too up front for this tune.  Too much highs, competing with Kat's vocal power around 2.5k I think. I would like to hear it much lower, especially when the hard rock part comes in at 1:28, there is nothing pushing my sub at all, compared to where it is sitting in the verses.

Though the sound of the bass works great at the musical break at 3:16.
    spindlebox
    Re:Mix feedback please: our song - Burden Of Truth 2011/06/21 11:56:53 (permalink)
    Yes, I totally agree James.  I'm trying to find that balance of clarity and mud.  Considering doing an EQ envelope on the bass.  So on the verses the bottom end is OK or too much?  And what parts do you think it needs more, like in the chorus parts?

This is really the hardest part for me.  I think the kick is in a good place though, so coming down on the bass a tad really should be easy, I just want to make sure there is good definition throughout.

I appreciate your feedback; you have always been very helpful.

I also think I've gotten my crossover set better on my sub, especially since the low end is not screaming like it was a couple months ago.

Cheers,
    Scott

digi2ns
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2694
    Re:Mix feedback please: our song - Burden Of Truth 2011/06/21 13:21:15 (permalink)
    Hi Scott, 
    Im just learning all this but this is kinda what I heard on my DS8 Monitors in a dedicated recording setup/area. 
    I agree with Wookie and James on all their inputs.  I also did notice that when the chorus would kick in and throughout it, the lows and particularly the bass faded way back into the mix. 

Loved the song,  looking forward to hearing what ya do with it. 

MIKE

--Dell Studio XPS I7/870 2.93 Ghz, 8GB Mem, 2-2TB Barracuda HDs, 500 GB Ext.HDD, Win7/64
    --X1 64 Pro Expanded, Dual 21" Monitors 
    --PCR500  
    --MAUDIO FastTrack Ultra
    --Mackie 1604 VLZ PRO
    --Line6 X3 Live
    --Gibson, Fender, Takamine, Schecter, Washburn
    http://pogopoppa.wix.com/5thgear#
     http://soundcloud.com/digi2ns  

spindlebox
    Re:Mix feedback please: our song - Burden Of Truth 2011/06/21 14:03:54 (permalink)
    Cool Mike!  Yeah, looks like I'm gonna have to get a bit jiggy with my volume envelopes and maybe an EQ envelope on the bass.

I also have a high pass filter on my 2 buss, which I may have to revisit, but I just feel safer with it there.

I've also gone from using a BBE Sonic Maximizer on my 2 buss to the Voxengo Overtone with the Stereo Sheen setting; I like what it does.  That an a touch of very light compression is all I'm doing at this point to the master output.  I don't think that is causing any of my issues however.

Thank you, Mike, Wookie and James for your help in this!!  It is great to have more sets of ears.  I will not be able to modify this much in the next day or so; so if you're reading this prior to Thursday I would love to hear more.

NOTE:  I was supposed to get the solo recorded tonight, but my poor doggie got hurt and is at the vet; and I had to cancel the session until next Tuesday - so I will await that for the total final mix, but have other things to do in the meantime, obviously.

Cheers!! 

Maxprizm
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    Re:Mix feedback please: our song - Burden Of Truth 2011/06/21 17:11:52 (permalink)
    Sounds like everything is getting crushed by the comp way too much, to the point of artifacting and pumping in and out. I'd take off the comp and start carving out unneeded freqs particularly in the drums/bass area. Bass went into comp way too loud sounds like and it's consuming all it's neighbors vitality. The vocals are sitting on top of the track in alot of areas because of her freq range and getting crushed. I love loud records but they sound dreadful when competing instruments are squashed through the 2 bus. Notice how the intro feels nice and cohesive with the vocals before everything kicks in hard. Then it gets heavy and and her voice is spiking out of the thick sonic wall. You want her surrounded by the music not pushed out of her space by all the thickness. Having said that, I do love the live feel this has and could be crafted into a very nice sounding mix. Whats your monitoring setup like? 
    post edited by Maxprizm - 2011/06/21 17:24:10

Ed Edge

spindlebox
    Re:Mix feedback please: our song - Burden Of Truth 2011/06/21 18:22:47 (permalink)
    Right, I don't think I agree with your assessment of the compressor.  It is on a very mild setting and there is no pumping going on.

There is the WAVES L2 Ultramaximizer on her vocal track to even out the dynamics in her voice.

Anyway, I appreciate your listen and assessment irregardless of my opinion.  I have very safely used compression on my 2-Busses for years now with very good results.  But you're right that I have some work to do - carving and what not.

I use JBL LSR4328P's as my monitoring system.

Cheers!!

drumstixkev
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2709
    Re:Mix feedback please: our song - Burden Of Truth 2011/06/21 20:12:08 (permalink)
    GREAT tune! Im not listening on the best rig as of now but the drums sound a bit flat and muddy. Cymbals need more high end. They also sound like they are sitting more in the center then being spread across the stereo field. The lead vox is very clear compared to the rest of the mix. Looking forward to hearing the finished piece. KUDOS!

Kev
    post edited by drumstixkev - 2011/06/21 20:22:36

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

spindlebox
    Re:Mix feedback please: our song - Burden Of Truth 2011/06/21 21:51:03 (permalink)
    I took it to heart, all of the comments above and think I got a lot more clarity from the drums, bottom on the bass but down in volume, and shaved some of that attack off the top - but not too much.

Vocals are a lot smoother and using envelopes "ride" the mix a lot better.

Keep in mind that the center part of this song is missing the guitar solo, which is going to be - SPECtacular.

New thoughts welcome, and old posters - I hope I did your comments justice!!!

Thanks again to all; I think I'm much happier with this so far.

drumstixkev
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2709
    Re:Mix feedback please: our song - Burden Of Truth 2011/06/21 23:15:14 (permalink)
    Hey Scott
    Mix sounds much better on my end. Drums sound clean and clear. My only nit are the drums are now sitting a SMIDGE forward in the mix. Other then that the mix sounds wide, clean, and full. Hope this helps what your shooting for. KUDOS!

Kev

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

BIABDude
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 676
    Re:Mix feedback please: our song - Burden Of Truth 2011/06/21 23:33:06 (permalink)
    I agree - - - -  +1
    Maxprizm
    Re:Mix feedback please: our song - Burden Of Truth 2011/06/22 00:10:58 (permalink)
    Wow, sounds alot better man! Sounds like a real band now. I found myself wanting to hear a softer reverb on the verses, some predelay (maybe tempo timed or half, more initimate) and generally less verb in the verses, then bigger in chorus. Reverb setting feels a little static throughout. Backups or even double in the chorus would be grand. and the words "Burden of Truth" could stand out a tad more through verb or delays and more upfront to accentuate the the chorus (rememorable). Huge improvement! 

Sorry for ramblings, it's a good tune.
    post edited by Maxprizm - 2011/06/29 18:21:58

Ed Edge

radio
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2782
    Re:Mix feedback please: our song - Burden Of Truth 2011/06/22 00:26:23 (permalink)

WOW ! Hey this song I thought sounded great , her vocals were great !!

Nice going , very cool song !
    Radio

spindlebox
    Re:Mix feedback please: our song - Burden Of Truth 2011/06/22 08:20:49 (permalink)
    Sweet! This is great to wake up to!  Thank you to all!

What I did was, use a totally different EQ on the bass and vocals, and used volume envelopes.  I never realized that EQ's had such different flavors in tone.  Also, I had too much rolled off the bottom of the bass and the kick drum too.  My high pass filter was at like 70-80 or something like that.  A touch too much obviously.  I've been VERY paranoid about the bottom end; I was having some serious subwoofer issues as in my crossover was incorrectly set.  Now I finally think I'm hearing things pretty good.  Not perfect, but good.  Will work towards GREAT!

I also changed out my bus for my overheads.  I added Ferox tape sim, which I love and put it on Analog Overload, and just sent my overheads there and added just a hair.  Boy, did they really wake up and get extremely musical.  I also added just a touch of presence in the 5-8K range.

Yes, I was trying to find that "perfect" balance of drums and instrumentation; I am going to start sending my entire drum mix to a subgroup so I can just move one fader.  I do use a group for it now, but many engineers use subgroups for things like that for a "cleaner" board.  I've been keeping my kick separate though, just in case it needed just a hair of a bump.

The bass came way down and needed too badly (thanks James); I was focused on the tone and clarity and pretty much left it up there.  It's amazing what a few days can do to your ears and what a fresh perspective can bring.

digi2ns
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2694
    Re:Mix feedback please: our song - Burden Of Truth 2011/06/22 09:12:22 (permalink)
    Wow!!!  What a change.

Im in with Kev on the drums still a little bit.  Kick, hats and crashes sounded good on my end. I listened and listened and to me its kinda snare and toms are just a smidge above everything else.  In the chorus they sounded good in the mix. Huge change overall. The guitars leveled out much better in the chorus as well. Before it was like they were dsappearing (kinda like compression was killing them or something even though you used it lightly)  KUDOS!!!

I really was able to enjoy the entire song without the previous distraction with the difference in the mix between the chorus section and the rest. Nicely done and I think you are well on your way to where you are looking to be on this.  

MIKE

--Dell Studio XPS I7/870 2.93 Ghz, 8GB Mem, 2-2TB Barracuda HDs, 500 GB Ext.HDD, Win7/64
    --X1 64 Pro Expanded, Dual 21" Monitors 
    --PCR500  
    --MAUDIO FastTrack Ultra
    --Mackie 1604 VLZ PRO
    --Line6 X3 Live
    --Gibson, Fender, Takamine, Schecter, Washburn
    http://pogopoppa.wix.com/5thgear#
     http://soundcloud.com/digi2ns  

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:Mix feedback please: our song - Burden Of Truth 2011/06/22 10:22:54 (permalink)
    That sounds better. 

It still sounds all crush up against the wall which looses some of its appeal for me. 

Observations above re Drums and Vox I agree with. 

The other point I would like is to hear some air/space and some overall dynamics.  My ears and my meters tell me it is sitting at between -1 and -3 dB almost throughout, which for me gives no breathing space.

But it is your bands tune and the sound you are looking for is the one your ears like.

Thanks for sharing the remix and I trust the dog is on the road to recovery?

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    spindlebox
    Re:Mix feedback please: our song - Burden Of Truth 2011/06/22 14:04:46 (permalink)
    Nice!
    I will take a look at the dynamics of the drums now, see if I can get them working with the song a little bit - emphasising little things here and there, now that after I bring them back the level of things will be sitting pretty good.

Also going to spend some time getting the 2-bus compression just right.  I want it to be there but not - be there.  You know?  But yes, dynamics and breathing are paramount.

Eventually, we are going to be putting this on vinyl too, so I am creating this more for audiophiles than for commercial mainstream "compete" with everything out there in the loudness wars, but I need to find that happy medium.

This first mix will be a great template for the rest.

Thanks to you all!  I will post another after I get the solo in there.

spindlebox
    Re:Mix feedback please: our song - Burden Of Truth NEW MIX 6/29 @ 2:04PM CST 2011/06/29 15:07:53 (permalink)
    Hey!
    I finally got that solo done last night and put the "finishing touches" on this mix.  I think it sounds pretty good though!  I may have to do some final tweaking before final (I prob. will), but I think it's pretty darn close.

Comments welcome and appreciated! 

Maxprizm
    Re:Mix feedback please: our song - Burden Of Truth NEW MIX 6/29 @ 2:04PM CST 2011/06/29 18:40:59 (permalink)
    Great Solo!, nice phrasing and feel. 2 small nits, if I may, feel free to disagree. It is your tune afterall. The snare sound bugs me, the room or verb on it feels like it's in a large closet or a small garage. I want to hear much bigger or much smaller. It could also use less 'boink' and more 'thwack' Blending in a sample comes to mind. Toms sound great. I don't think you've hit gold with the vocal processing yet. I'm a big fan of giving fx their own special moments, just like you would guitar/vocal/drum etc. It adds another layer of dynamics. Her delivery is great. The song is coming through nicely now.
    post edited by Maxprizm - 2011/06/29 18:42:54

Ed Edge

spindlebox
    Re:Mix feedback please: our song - Burden Of Truth NEW MIX 6/29 @ 2:04PM CST 2011/06/29 21:55:37 (permalink)
    Thanks, Max!  I always appreciate an extra point of view.  I'm not much sold on anything much, but I also want to avoid doing "too much".  I want to just to sound good and organic.

I appreciate the time and your listen!!!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1