TRIAL MASTER- how's it translating?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re:TRIAL MASTER- how's it translating? 2011/06/29 12:05:04 (permalink)
No problem Bats. If it sounds ok to you, go with it brother. It's not bad or anything, just a bit of something in that low end that I hear on my end. If it were just in one set of my monitors, I'd probably not even say anything. But it's does it on all the ones I have here and even on my pc speakers as well. Just a little something muffled at times in the low end area that leaps out and then seems to back down. It only seems to be me reporting this though, so maybe it's just me, my personal observation of what *I* consider "strange bass" and what my particular monitors are telling me.

I'm using some really good stuff though bro and do mixing and mastering for some pretty heavy clients. If this was sent to me during a mix or mastering consultation, I'd definitely try and tighten up that low end. But again, this is all subjective. I really like everything else though. Those guitars are perfect for this song. Just enough sizzle to cut through yet they remain warm. I'm glad nothing I said here offended you. I've always respected and enjoyed your work. :)

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
Danny Danzi
Re:TRIAL MASTER- how's it translating? 2011/06/29 12:36:30 (permalink)

Bats, sorry to keep bugging you man....but I really want to see you happy with this CD release. I did some scoping over here. This is what I see as well as what I hear.

Now, there were a few ways I dealt with making this sound "more sane to my ears on my gear". The first way was to grab 120 Hz, a Q of 3.5 and -2dB of gain.

The next, UAD precision multiband limiter at 80 Hz so that you maintain the low end you have, yet it doesn't lash out like I'm hearing.

I'm also seeing a little activity at 55 Hz which is probably the kick drum thumping. But at times it lashes out too. For example, at 1:57 when "gonna make a new friend" is sung, the kick drum hits with "gonna" and it gives off a sub low artifact that actually sounds like someone going "pff" in the mic yet it's "gonna" and the kick drum hitting at once. Curbing 55 Hz there via automation stopped that from happening. See, little stuff like that (though it may not be important to people) are things I listen for. 

I know, I'm overly anal with this stuff...but I just wanted to bring the stuff to your attention because I commented on it. When I comment on something, I like to try my best to explain what I'm hearing as well as offer a remedy for the possible issue. :) Just for the heck of it though, try some of the stuff I mentioned and see if you hear that bass clear up. Just trying to help as I know how serious you are with your music. :)

***Edit*** You can see a better pic of the snap shot here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4909348/4Bats.JPG
post edited by Danny Danzi - 2011/06/29 12:39:43

My Site
notnat
Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5236
Re:TRIAL MASTER- how's it translating? 2011/06/29 19:12:01 (permalink)
Translates quite well down here in southeast Alabama...
sounds fine to me... excellent performances and production...
57Gregy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14404
Re:TRIAL MASTER- how's it translating? 2011/06/30 00:09:46 (permalink)
Wow! To quote BayouBill, "Hot Hot Hot" and paraphrasing the Sundance Kid, "Think you used enough guitars there, Butch?" This is GREAT!

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re:TRIAL MASTER- how's it translating? 2011/06/30 11:34:05 (permalink)

wow danny!
that's a heck of a graphic!!
looks like some of the gnarlier peaks i've tried to climb in the wasatch range here....
LOL

good stuff to know, i can dial in the focus on those freq's, it's possible i'll need to go back to my mixes first, and tweak, then re-send to the ME.... he's basically trying not to change the basic character of my mixes as per my instructions, so if i give him turds to polish, he's trying to go easy on the luster.
hehe
thanks

NOTNAT
thanks for listening....glad it's 'translating' good on some of the systems out there....

57gregy
hey, you got a new pic!
cool shades...
anyway, thank you for checking it out.....
always need more guitars..........

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Danny Danzi
Re:TRIAL MASTER- how's it translating? 2011/06/30 14:50:14 (permalink)
batsbrew

wow danny!
that's a heck of a graphic!!
looks like some of the gnarlier peaks i've tried to climb in the wasatch range here....
LOL

good stuff to know, i can dial in the focus on those freq's, it's possible i'll need to go back to my mixes first, and tweak, then re-send to the ME.... he's basically trying not to change the basic character of my mixes as per my instructions, so if i give him turds to polish, he's trying to go easy on the luster.
hehe
thanks

I don't think you'll have to remix it, Bats. If you just grab your master and try what I said, you'll hear it's still your same mix, it just keeps things tighter. From there you can give the instructions to the ME and he'll do it. Just keep in mind though, if you are not hearing the stuff I'm mentioning, don't let that graph make you think something is wrong. Like I said, I'm the only one reporting a little bass tightening and everyone else has signed off as this being perfect...so you *might* want to go with majority rules and most of all, what your ears tell you on your gear.  Whatever you decide or don't decide, it's a fine tune and a fine mix...I just wanted to explain what I was hearing.:) I'll shut up now...best of luck with everything brother!

My Site
batsbrew
Re:TRIAL MASTER- how's it translating? 2011/06/30 15:16:24 (permalink)
majority rules.....

heheh

that only works in POLITICS!

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Mesh
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re:TRIAL MASTER- how's it translating? 2011/06/30 15:30:17 (permalink)
Wow! This Rocks right off the Bat!!
Excellent performance & mix (listening through cheap phones at work). Very Good!!

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
Scoobie
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 263
Re:TRIAL MASTER- how's it translating? 2011/07/03 18:33:40 (permalink)
Sounds really good,  Nice levels,  good mix.

I listen (my internet computer) to it on some old Mackie HR824's in a good treated room.
Mix held togther fine at differnt volumes.............:)

Tim

Outback Remote Recording,  16 or 24 track mobile rig.
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re:TRIAL MASTER- how's it translating? 2011/07/03 18:43:51 (permalink)
On my Senheiser HD 600's it sounds good.

Sounds good on my Alesis Point Seven's too.

Don't have the main DAW fired up right now.
MasterInTheMix
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
Re:TRIAL MASTER- how's it translating? 2011/07/04 02:42:14 (permalink)
Wow! Lot's of energy. Really pulled me in. I like the performances, especially the vocal, ATTITUDE! I agree with DJSir that the sibilance is a little more than needed to understand the words. I wonder what would happen if you went back to the vocal, put the de-esser first (LP64 Multiband Compressor using only the HF) and drew envelopes for the frequency and threshold? I think the s's are sounding a little sh'ish, which makes me think the frequency would have to be a little lower to catch them. The risk would be also decreasing the air of the vocal... That might be a tricky envelope to draw.
Whatever, I'd be proud of it like it is.
batsbrew
Re:TRIAL MASTER- how's it translating? 2011/07/05 11:39:20 (permalink)

MESH
thanks for listening...
appreciate it.

scoobie
mackie hr824's, check!
those (with the extended low end) were some of the types of systems i was worried about having too much bass on.....
and different volumes too, cool, thanks for that.

bapu
thanks man.... alesis point sevens, how do you like those?

master in the mix
sibilence, check. i've got a deesser on it already..... but i can't take it down anymore, without killing the essence of the vox...
but, i may address the entire high end thru the mastering on this one song, working with the ME now on final decisions on it....
thanks again!

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re:TRIAL MASTER- how's it translating? 2011/07/05 11:42:01 (permalink)
batsbrew

bapu
thanks man.... alesis point sevens, how do you like those?

bats,

Those are my alternative listening speakers (on the laptop at home). They're ok. Not as good as my Mackie HR824's with ARC.

batsbrew
Re:TRIAL MASTER- how's it translating? 2011/07/05 14:04:34 (permalink)
BAPU-
cool, thanks.... those are probably more indicative of what most people would listen to anyway...

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1