Deep Peace

Author
malcolmb
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 713
2011/06/24 07:06:33 (permalink)

Deep Peace

My music set to a slightly adapted traditional Celtic Blessing. I have tended to avoid writing music with lyrics as I cannot sing (a gross understatement!) and my EWQL Symphonic Choirs is fine for choral music but doesn't really work for anything else. So, this is my first attempt to use a 'new' piece of software called Vocaloid Miriam. I know it has been around for a while and there are many here who do not rate it. But it is definitely better than me singing!

I obviously have a great deal to learn to get clarity to the singing. But I am trying!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70e5GCEgIiA

If anyone else here uses Vocaloid Miriam and can offer any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards
Malcolm

HS 7 XL
XP Prof.
4 GB memory
GPO, VSL, Music Lab Real Guitar/LPC, EWQLSC, Vocaloid Miriam/Avanna 
Soundcard - Marian Marc 4 Midi

www.soundclick.com/malcolmbrown
www.soundclick.com/lylemusic
www.youtube.com/user/LyleMusic

26 Replies Related Threads

morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:Deep Peace 2011/06/24 07:36:44 (permalink)
    Hi Malcolm, really enjoyed listening to this. Nice composition, great mystical feel to it. Fantastic what you can do these days with software. Don't know Myriam, but there is a lot of reverb on the vocal and a bit of sibilance which is emphasized by the reverb, I know nothing about recording vocals mind you. Anyway, I'm sure you will figure the technical suff out. Good job.

Greetings, Rik

P.S. Did the sun ever return to your fair island ?This "peace offering" will surely do no harm.
    malcolmb
    Re:Deep Peace 2011/06/24 09:27:23 (permalink)
    Hi Rik

Sincere thanks and so pleased you like it. As you say, it is amazing what software can do today - all I need to do is learn how to use it! I'm glad that the mystical feel comes across. I was trying to get a somewhat ethereal feel to the voice and clearly overdid the reverb. I did apply some EQ to try and reduce the sibilance but found it was a bit of a trade off between ethereal versus hiss! Oh well, back to the Manual!

We had a drought here that lasted from Christmas until the end of May. Hardly a drop of rain. Just when the Government woke up to the problem and formed a committee (!)  to deal with it, it rained! Temperatures still struggling to reach 60F and the Sun occasionally comes back from it's extended holiday, takes one look at my little Isle and heads south again! We have been promised a heat wave from Monday - due to last at least two days! Then back to Winter. What ever happened to Global "Warming"!

Best Regards
    Malcolm

HS 7 XL
    XP Prof.
    4 GB memory

vechung
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 818
    Re:Deep Peace 2011/06/24 09:31:39 (permalink)
    Agree with Rik, too much siblance on the vocals.   Anyway you can reduce the attack on the reverb?  That way the vocal come clean and then the echo takes over.  Otherwise, very nice track.  Very smooth and peaceful.

http://www.soundclick.com/vicentechung
    https://soundcloud.com/thefoundandthelost

Vicente 

Sonar Platinum, Live 10, Motu 828, Ozone 7
    malcolmb
    Re:Deep Peace 2011/06/24 10:06:33 (permalink)
    Hi Vicente

Sincere thanks. I suspect that part of the problem is that I have to write the vocals in Vocaloid and then bring them into Sonar as a .wav file. There seems to be something inherent in the file that doesn't work easily with Sonitus reverb (or at least with my limited knowledge of Vocaloid and Sonitus!). I suspect this is going to be a case of first try, next try, get there eventually! Wouldn't it be nice if manuals actually answered the questions you need to ask?! I think I shall leave the video as is and work on your advice to fix the hiss in the MP3 before I add that to Soundclick. It may take me some time!

Best Regards
    Malcolm

HS 7 XL
    XP Prof.
    4 GB memory

MannyNY
    • Total Posts : 732
    Re:Deep Peace 2011/06/24 18:37:50 (permalink)
    Hi Malcolmb,

I like it a lot. There’s something in the Celtic music that always feels like “home” to me (even though I am a Spaniard). There is also a bit of an oriental flavor in there as well. The VM vocals don’t bother me – maybe they can be made to sound more “real” – I surely wouldn’t be able to help with that but the overall vibe is terrific. I was just thinking about how nice it is to come to this site and hear others doing what makes us (humans) so special  – creating music. Sometimes I lose sight of the wonder of that. Thanks – super job.
    malcolmb
    Re:Deep Peace 2011/06/25 04:43:06 (permalink)
    Hi Manny

Sincere thanks. Very much agree with you about 'Celtic' music. It seems to have that warm feeling of friendship and hospitality that is all about home and family. And as the Celts have spread to everywhere in the World, I suspect there is a bit of Celt in us all! I also totally agree with you about this site. You have to truly respect and admire the vast creative talents of everyone here. And their generosity in sharing those talents with us.

Lang may yer lum reek!

Best Regards
    Malcolm

HS 7 XL
    XP Prof.
    4 GB memory

Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:Deep Peace 2011/06/25 06:46:38 (permalink)
    Malcolm,
    This is beautiful. I don't know about the synthesized vocals, but otherwise a very nice piece. Do you have a reverse gated reverb on the vocals?
    post edited by Scottytunes - 2011/06/25 09:55:30

String Jammer
    malcolmb
    Re:Deep Peace 2011/06/25 09:26:19 (permalink)
    Hi Scotty

Sincere thanks and so pleased you like this piece. I tend to always use presets on any effects I use, simply because when I start touching those slider thingies, everything immediately collapses on me! On the vocals in this piece, I used Sonitus FX reverb Aux bus preset "female vocals" and Sonitus EQ preset "hum removal (50Hz)". I have looked at gates in the past and have never really understood them - I think I'm getting old! Any advice always most gratefully appreciated.

Best Regards
    Malcolm

HS 7 XL
    XP Prof.
    4 GB memory

Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:Deep Peace 2011/06/25 09:57:06 (permalink)
    If you can go in and edit the effects, see if there is a gated reverb selected and change it to a normal, more subtle reverb.

String Jammer
    malcolmb
    Re:Deep Peace 2011/06/26 04:32:31 (permalink)
    Hi Scotty

Sincere thanks and I shall work on that (and Vicente's advice as well). I must admit I had to Google "gated reverb" to find out what it meant! Fascinating. If anyone is interested in this area, I found this article which has been a great help to me understanding what I am doing wrong:

http://www.soundonsound.c...c97/processorsdec.html

Best Regards
    Malcolm

HS 7 XL
    XP Prof.
    4 GB memory

lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    Re:Deep Peace 2011/06/26 16:03:09 (permalink)
    Beautiful composition Malcolmb. The vid and music set a nice mood as well. I just checked out the Vocaloid Miriam website. I would've downloaded the demo version, but I see it's not Windows 7 (or 64 bit) compatible yet. I see they have a 'version 2' coming out soon, so, I'll have to keep an eye out for that.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Deep Peace 2011/06/26 16:09:41 (permalink)
    I agree with the others...this is beautiful and so relaxing.  It's mostly EWQL?  That's a great library.  I agree about the vocals having too much reverb...I'm sure you'll get it worked out.  I too wish it was easier to sing well... 
    malcolmb
    Re:Deep Peace 2011/06/27 04:46:26 (permalink)
    Hi Larry - Sincere thanks. I believe Vocaloid Miriam currently only works with XP and with no changes to it since 2005, I do wonder if the makers have any real commitment to upgrading it. I do hope so, as I believe it has potential. Even when used by me!

Hi Janet - Sincere thanks. I used my old version of GPO for the instruments on this piece. I do have VSL but I tend to prefer GPO as backing instruments to vocals as they seem to me to have a softer sound; VSL can be a bit strident! I did use EWQL Symphonic Choirs for the backing vocals to Vocaloid Miriam.

Very many thanks to everyone for their very helpful advice on this piece. I have now adjusted the reverb and you can hear the revised version here:

http://www.soundclick.com...13&songID=10789188

It's still not perfect by any means and I will continue to work on it. But I think it is a little better than my first attempt!

Best Regards
    Malcolm

HS 7 XL
    XP Prof.
    4 GB memory

philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:Deep Peace 2011/06/27 16:35:26 (permalink)
    Malcolm, I've heard several of your pieces, and as with the others your compositional work was just amazing.  Beautiful piece, even with the distraction (IMO) of the robo-voice.  As others have noted, the reverb was over the top, but, this being said I've heard other material using voices like this. 

I think your work stands on its own instrumentally, so I'm not sure what you need the plug for.  She's just not up to your level
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Deep Peace 2011/06/27 20:02:24 (permalink)
    this is beautiful Malcolm......

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

malcolmb
    Re:Deep Peace 2011/06/28 04:54:53 (permalink)
    Hi Phil - Now I really am embarrassed! Thank you most sincerely. All I try to do is write music that is easy on the ears - at my age, my ears can only take so much! As for Miriam Stockley (Adiemus, Lord of the Rings, Mike Oldfield, etc), I am sure she would shudder at what people like me do to her lovely voice. But as I suspect she would be most unlikely to accept my invitation to sing for me (for free, of course!), I am stuck with the robo-voice when on the very rare occasion I get this overwhelming urge to add vocals to my music (I must remember to keep taking my pills!). I hope one day, she will forgive me!

Hi Tim - Sincere thanks and so very pleased you like this piece.

Best Regards
    Malcolm

HS 7 XL
    XP Prof.
    4 GB memory

jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:Deep Peace 2011/06/28 06:39:43 (permalink)
    Hi Malcolm,

That was just lovely. Gorgeous composition and I love the orchestration. I think the choir vocals work better than the solo voice, but it's still nice. Excellent tune.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Grandpa Tunes
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 381
    Re:Deep Peace 2011/06/28 08:48:19 (permalink)
    malcolmb
    Hi Malcolmb,

Very pretty.  Are thoes your photos?

Regards,

GT

My music set to a slightly adapted traditional Celtic Blessing. I have tended to avoid writing music with lyrics as I cannot sing (a gross understatement!) and my EWQL Symphonic Choirs is fine for choral music but doesn't really work for anything else. So, this is my first attempt to use a 'new' piece of software called Vocaloid Miriam. I know it has been around for a while and there are many here who do not rate it. But it is definitely better than me singing!

I obviously have a great deal to learn to get clarity to the singing. But I am trying!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70e5GCEgIiA

If anyone else here uses Vocaloid Miriam and can offer any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards
    Malcolm

If you don't know where you're going, you can't lost.
    malcolmb
    Re:Deep Peace 2011/06/28 08:48:19 (permalink)
    Hi James - Sincere thanks and really pleased you like it. Yesterday I woke up from my afternoon nap (old codgers like me need naps!) and could hear this piece echoing around the house. Weird!

Best Regards
    Malcolm

HS 7 XL
    XP Prof.
    4 GB memory

malcolmb
    Re:Deep Peace 2011/06/28 08:54:47 (permalink)
    Hi GT - Sincere thanks. Unfortunately the photos aren't mine - I wish they were as the locations are beautiful. There are quite a few web sites around which provide copyright and royalty free photos which can be used for non-commercial purposes. So I just search around and find ones that fit the music. As all my music is and will always be free (I wouldn't have the nerve to charge anyone!), I can use them without fear of men in suits banging on my door!

Best Regards
    Malcolm

HS 7 XL
    XP Prof.
    4 GB memory

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:Deep Peace 2011/06/28 10:08:57 (permalink)
    This is very pleasant and works with the thunderstorm and accompanying aquatic onslaught that is happening here at this moment.

A lot of good advice has been offered regards the over reverb-ed vocals so I will say nothing.

Thanks for sharing.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    malcolmb
    Re:Deep Peace 2011/06/28 15:09:14 (permalink)
    Hi Wookiee - Very many thanks and I hope the Blessing brought Deep Peace to the weather for you as well! We Celts have always believed that pouring a libation to the Weather Gods is a certain way of placating them. If the golden nectar libation just happens to fall into a suitable receptacle for later disposal in the traditional manner, I am sure the Weather Gods won't mind!

Do dheagh shlàinte

Best Regards
    Malcolm

HS 7 XL
    XP Prof.
    4 GB memory

morenoise
    Re:Deep Peace 2011/06/28 15:50:07 (permalink)
    Hi Malcolm, just listened to your new mix. This is a lovely tune and even if the lead vocal is a bit robotic, I just imagine it fits right in with your "space music". This is just great to listen to.

slàinte mhòr , Rik
    malcolmb
    Re:Deep Peace 2011/06/29 04:13:44 (permalink)
    Hi Rik - Very many thanks. "Space Music" - well, I suppose Blessings do come down from the Heavens (an Angel robot is a thought that just boggles my mind)!

Slàinte mhath

Best Regards
    Malcolm

HS 7 XL
    XP Prof.
    4 GB memory

morenoise
    Re:Deep Peace 2011/06/29 10:50:53 (permalink)
    Dei ex machina ?

slàinte agad-sa , Rik
    malcolmb
    Re:Deep Peace 2011/06/29 15:03:24 (permalink)
    Rik - Now that's a thought I am not sure the World is ready for. Yet!

Sláinte agus táinte!

Best Regards
    Malcolm

HS 7 XL
    XP Prof.
    4 GB memory

Jump to: