Memory

Author
LpMike75
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1621
2011/06/25 22:53:38 (permalink)

Memory

On a recent purchase of Hollywood Strings I quickly found out that my 8 gigs of RAM is like a small appetizer for the RAM hungry library and quickly gets eaten up.  I am forced to freeze tracks from almost the first instance of PLAY.

Anyhow, I plan to buy a new system next year, the question is, if I upgrade to say 24 gigs of DDR3 RAM now, will I be able to use it (swap it) in my latest and greatest machine next year, or is there DDR4 RAm coming out soon? 

I mean, worst comes to worst I guess I can use this machine as a slave to run samples but I just dont want to have to buy all this RAM only to use it for a year, only to find out the new MB's will not support it.

- Mike
Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
Http://www.mjlmusic.com 

4 Replies Related Threads

jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    Re:Memory 2011/06/27 09:08:16 (permalink)
    DDR4 is still aways away buy it

Scott
    ADK
    Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
    Truckermusic
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1924
    Re:Memory 2011/06/27 10:24:06 (permalink)
    LpMike75

Anyhow, I plan to buy a new system next year, the question is, if I upgrade to say 24 gigs of DDR3 RAM now, will I be able to use it (swap it) in my latest and greatest machine next year, or is there DDR4 RAm coming out soon?  

I am planning on building a new machine and would LOVE to put 24 Gig of RAM in.....However my mother board of choice only supports Dual channel.....

Is this the same as yours?  Or do you have a Triple Channel mother board?

If it is a dual channel and you find 24 Gig of RAM then could you please let me know where you are going to buy it...

Or if anyone else knows how I can configure a Dual Channel with 24 Gig I would appreciate it.

Thank you
    Clifford

PS here is my mother board of choice....(not purchased just yet....but soon from Tiger Direct)
    ASUS P8P67 Pro B3 Intel P67 Motherboard - ATX, Socket H2 (LGA 1155), Intel P67 Express, 2200MHz DDR3 (O.C.), Gigabit LAN, 8-Channel Audio, SATA 6.0 Gb/s, SuperSpeed USB 3.0, SLI/CrossFireX, Bluetooth

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
    NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
    Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
    Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
    Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
    16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:Memory 2011/06/27 12:54:19 (permalink)
    On a recent purchase of Hollywood Strings I quickly found out that my 8 gigs of RAM is like a small appetizer for the RAM hungry library and quickly gets eaten up. I am forced to freeze tracks from almost the first instance of PLAY. Anyhow, I plan to buy a new system next year, the question is, if I upgrade to say 24 gigs of DDR3 RAM now, will I be able to use it (swap it) in my latest and greatest machine next year, or is there DDR4 RAm coming out soon? I mean, worst comes to worst I guess I can use this machine as a slave to run samples but I just dont want to have to buy all this RAM only to use it for a year, only to find out the new MB's will not support it.

Mike,

If you'll be making extensive use of Hollywood Strings (and or Brass), you need all the RAM/Speed you can throw at it. 
    I'd load up on RAM... and I'd want the library on RAID-0 or SSD.

If you're running a socket 1155 based machine, you're effectively limited to 16GB of RAM (until 8GB sticks are available).
    Keep in mind 8GB sticks will be outrageously expensive (at first)...
    Once these come down a bit, you can max out the system with 32GB.

Socket 1366 will allow you to install 24GB of RAM.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    LpMike75
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re:Memory 2011/06/27 13:32:07 (permalink)
    Thanks for the advice guys.  I wasnt sure what my max RAM is for this board, I will take your word Jim since you would know. Although I have 5 hard drives with different sample libraries spread amongst them, none of them are SSD, part of the reason I am hessitant to throw in so much RAM is because I dont know if I should invest in 2 SSD drives instead. 

Either way, I need faster streaming and more RAM, I dont know where the balance is.  Thanks again for the input.

- Mike
    Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
    http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
    Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
    HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
    Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1