Recording guitars direct - HELP!

Author
picklebunker
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 130
2011/06/29 01:37:01 (permalink)

Recording guitars direct - HELP!

Hey there, mix masters.

I'm in need of advise on how to record direct guitars and get them to sound good. There is a solo on this song at around 4 minutes that just sounds "direct" and fuzzy. Does anyone have any goto settings or techniques for those people who can't blast out an amp at all hours of the night? Any "magic button" suggestions are welcome. I'm plugged direct in through a Zoom GFX 3 pedal.

Al

PS:

The song is about Leonard, formerly abducted by aliens, who finds himself getting attracted to using religion as an excuse to embrace insanity. He finds an abandoned bible and struggles with it's contents.

Weird, I know, but I drank too much cough syrup the night I wrote it. Thanks in advance

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=805324&songID=10795073

YAMAHA SY22
Zoom R16
DELL INSPIRON 1 GIG. 2.7
SONAR 6PE
REASON 1.0
ZOOM GFX-3
ESP LTD H 300
MIDISPORT UNO 16
Bugera 6262
APEX MICS
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=805324

7 Replies Related Threads

jimmyrage
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 238
    Re:Recording guitars direct - HELP! 2011/06/29 04:29:29 (permalink)
    Your zoom pedal may have different output settings for : line out/ power amp tube stack . I have a Boss GT-3 that just like you described if not set to the proper output setting.
    batsbrew
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Recording guitars direct - HELP! 2011/06/29 10:35:08 (permalink)
    pickle-

that song of mine you just reviewed in the songs forum, all those guitars were recorded direct.

i use a combination of a part of my big rig, captured by a Palmer Junction PDI-09, and then an attenuator to take the volume down as low as i want.

now, when i'm recording myself, i typically use my own cabinet as my guitar monitor, don't even put it thru the mix while tracking, and then i crank the ever mother lovin' peeese out of monitors with the mix coming through, and play like i'm jamming with a full band.

but

with the attenuator, i can take the volume of the amp down to nighttime bedroom volume, and either play the monitors very low, or go to the headphones.

i've never liked the results of sims, went thru several before i gave up on them, and much prefer the sound of a miced loud cab, but the attenuator and palmer is a WONDERFUL COMPROMISE, and the proof is in the recordings.

post edited by batsbrew - 2011/06/29 10:39:08

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

picklebunker
    Re:Recording guitars direct - HELP! 2011/06/29 21:49:52 (permalink)
    Jimmy - Hey thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look on the pedal to see if there's anything like that. Would definitely be handy!

Bats - Hey, great advice. I love your tone and if that's done direct... then I want in. Looking  at the pic in your post, I see you have a Mesa head and a full board of toys, all revolving around tone. Wish I had it but maybe the DI is in the wallet. I'll keep my eyes open for one, or something like it.

al

YAMAHA SY22
    Zoom R16
    DELL INSPIRON 1 GIG. 2.7
    SONAR 6PE
    REASON 1.0
    ZOOM GFX-3
    ESP LTD H 300
    MIDISPORT UNO 16
    Bugera 6262
    APEX MICS
    IK Obi
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1549
    Re:Recording guitars direct - HELP! 2011/06/30 21:42:12 (permalink)
    A DI is always useful for recording. If you want to go direct you can also try out guitar amp sims in VST form like AmpliTube 3 FREE.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Recording guitars direct - HELP! 2011/06/30 22:36:38 (permalink)
    Al,

I use a POD2 to record my guitars. I think maybe using a pedal to go direct might not work well. I have tried recording in the past with pedals and they always sounded stiff and lifeless.  A friend turned me on the the POD2 by Line6 and I picked one up on Ebay used...and cheap.

Recording direct is not a big deal with the new amp sims that have been referenced.  Acme Bar Gig I believe is a decent free amp sim. 

Also using a real amp and a direct box will give good results. Bat does this with sweet success. I also agree with Bat in that, I do not like the sounds and results of using the software amp sims. I have 3 of them and have played around with them but have really not been satisfied with the sounds. I keep going to the POD2..... its so much easier and with the "Air" setting switch, it sounds really good and no set up or volume in the room issues with the family.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    picklebunker
    Re:Recording guitars direct - HELP! 2011/07/01 16:23:46 (permalink)
    That's all great advice. Hack, I've downloaded Acmebargig and it is a great free chunk of software. I've played a bit with it and it seems very user-friendly but I have a question: I will go DI into the Zoom R16 interface I have but when doing amp sim for things like solos, do you go in completely clean or should I put a little bit of edge on it prior to the amp sim. I only have a solid state FM 212r which may not give a good enough tubeishness (ya, it's a word) to get a good tone.

Thanks

al

YAMAHA SY22
    Zoom R16
    DELL INSPIRON 1 GIG. 2.7
    SONAR 6PE
    REASON 1.0
    ZOOM GFX-3
    ESP LTD H 300
    MIDISPORT UNO 16
    Bugera 6262
    APEX MICS
    IK Obi
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1549
    Re:Recording guitars direct - HELP! 2011/07/01 19:48:10 (permalink)
    Go completely clean in. Just the guitar to the DI and then add the amp simulation after.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1