High midi latencty, is it the interface?

Author
kristoffer
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 406
2011/06/30 04:47:49 (permalink)

High midi latencty, is it the interface?

I'm somewhat puzzled with the "new" DAW and my ESI interface. http://www.esi-audio.com/products/esp1010e/

the midi latency, and audio latency is very - very low. Cant say anything else.

But, this seems to be only in the start of the project, when the projects build up and there is more and more going on - the midi latency seems to build up to a level which is unbearable (like a quarter of a second!)

I havent tested it thorough, but had a quick test yesterday with one of the demo projects from Sonar.
(Justin Lassen, was it?)

When I insert a softsynt, and try to play it the latency was almost a half second! (tried both Cakewalk studio instruments and AAS Lounge Lizard 3)
The CPU load is way below 10%. RAM use was about 1,4GB (of 12GB) and DPC shows a latency of 9-20ms. (consistent). the HDD is 98% free...

When I start a new project, the latency is spot on and very tight.

Could this be my audio interface? Or midi capacity of it?
The ESI has a "built in 2xmidi input/output".
I also have an older separate MIDI usb interface , which I havent tried (says it is Win7 compatible, but hasnt drivers for it... )
Could this be worth a try, or is it limitations of the audio interface?

SonarPlatinum/X3e Producer
HW:
~Pod HD pro~Pod X3~JTV-69 US~Tascam FW1884~BEYERDYNAM​IC DT770 PRO~Røde NTK~MaschineMikro~ADAM ARTist5
W10 - i7 920 - Intel DX58SO2 - Nvidia NVS450 Quad - 12GB OCZ Gold 1600Mhz RAM - Noctua NH-D14 - Corsair TX950w PSU
- Corsair MX200 500GB OS/Programs - OCZ Agility 3 SSD (Audio) - WD Black 1TB

9 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:High midi latencty, is it the interface? 2011/06/30 07:53:09 (permalink)
    from your description it sounds more like you might have a memory leak from a plugin or something.  it doesn't sound like real "latency"

your RAM numbers are as reported by sonar, right?  what does windows say how much ram is being used?

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    kristoffer
    Re:High midi latencty, is it the interface? 2011/06/30 08:40:08 (permalink)
    Actually, the RAM numbers is from Windows "resource manager" or what it is called.
    Where is it possible to check this in Sonar?
    I think i only have the CPU and Disk info on the large Transport control.

HW:
    ~Pod HD pro~Pod X3~JTV-69 US~Tascam FW1884~BEYERDYNAM​IC DT770 PRO~Røde NTK~MaschineMikro~ADAM ARTist5
    W10 - i7 920 - Intel DX58SO2 - Nvidia NVS450 Quad - 12GB OCZ Gold 1600Mhz RAM - Noctua NH-D14 - Corsair TX950w PSU
    Beagle
    Re:High midi latencty, is it the interface? 2011/06/30 09:08:17 (permalink)
    sorry - RAM info is reported in X1, not in 8.5.

it still sounds like a memory leak or a CPU problem with one of your plugins or something like that.  what plugins do you have in this project?  what synths?  (specifically NON-cakewalk supplied ones)

if you start another new project does it still do the same thign?

Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:High midi latencty, is it the interface? 2011/06/30 10:20:10 (permalink)
    But, this seems to be only in the start of the project, when the projects build up and there is more and more going on - the midi latency seems to build up to a level which is unbearable (like a quarter of a second!)

Keep in mind that if you insert latent audio plugins anywhere in the project... Sonar's automatic plugin delay compensation (PDC) will delay everything by that amount (to maintain sample accurate sync across all tracks).
    The workaround is to either turn-off PDC while tracking (reinable when finished tracking)... or remove latent plugins while tracking.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    kristoffer
    Re:High midi latencty, is it the interface? 2011/07/01 03:34:53 (permalink)
    Jim Roseberry

Keep in mind that if you insert latent audio plugins anywhere in the project... Sonar's automatic plugin delay compensation (PDC) will delay everything by that amount (to maintain sample accurate sync across all tracks).
    The workaround is to either turn-off PDC while tracking (reinable when finished tracking)... or remove latent plugins while tracking.

Beagle

sorry - RAM info is reported in X1, not in 8.5.

it still sounds like a memory leak or a CPU problem with one of your plugins or something like that.  what plugins do you have in this project?  what synths?  (specifically NON-cakewalk supplied ones)

if you start another new project does it still do the same thign?
    Beagle:
    No, a new project is not influenced by this at all.
    But then again, a new project havent the same amount of effects and audio tracks.
    The project I tested with, was one of the Sonar demo projects which came with, its the same if I try "unified tribe" or Justin Lassen.
    There is only Cakewalk supplied effects in that project, AFAIK.

Jim
    I'll look into that. Never heard of before :)

Both/all
    I see that I've been a litte unprecise:
    This is the latency of the "direct monitoring", aka the sound which I'm listening to when I record.
    The actual recording I think is OK, as far as I remember.

the problem is, if I turn of the direct monitoring - I have no idea what I play :)

HW:
    Beagle
    Re:High midi latencty, is it the interface? 2011/07/01 08:24:47 (permalink)
    Beagle:
    No, a new project is not influenced by this at all.
    But then again, a new project havent the same amount of effects and audio tracks.
    The project I tested with, was one of the Sonar demo projects which came with, its the same if I try "unified tribe" or Justin Lassen.
    There is only Cakewalk supplied effects in that project, AFAIK.

then what you're having a problem with is exactly what Jim has said - one of the plugins is causing extra latency, you can either start disabling plugins one by one until it stops or disable PDC.  I am not at my DAW, so I can't open that project and see what plugins it is using, but it's probably using one of the look ahead plugins which would cause this problem.

kristoffer
    Re:High midi latencty, is it the interface? 2011/07/01 09:56:55 (permalink)
    Searching a bit, Ctrl-D is it to disable PDC?

HW:
    kristoffer
    Re:High midi latencty, is it the interface? 2011/07/01 14:16:23 (permalink)
    Tried Ctrl-D, worked perfectly. The direct monitoring latency is now zero.

Why are we using PDC, actually? :D

As far as I can understand, this means that I have an issue with a plugin.

HW:
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re:High midi latencty, is it the interface? 2011/07/01 15:32:01 (permalink)
    kristoffer

Tried Ctrl-D, worked perfectly. The direct monitoring latency is now zero.

Why are we using PDC, actually? :D

As far as I can understand, this means that I have an issue with a plugin.

Some plugs do a LOT of processing (calculation) which even in a fast computer environment takes a noticeable amount of time to complete. Mixing using this type of plug is like cooking a meal; you have to have everything get done at the same time if you want to eat the meal at one sitting. The roast may take a couple of hours and the salad a couple of minutes, so your timing has to be adjusted as to when to start each dish. So the slow plugs "look ahead" i.e. get data earlier than the faster stuff, and work on it. Since you really can't speed up the slow plugs, you need to slow down the rest of the mix until the data from the slow plugs is ready. There is a built-in delay in getting the slow plug results, and there needs to be a compensation for that delay (delay compensation) applied to the mix as a whole so the whole mix will play together at the appropriate time.
    Avoid using any plugs when recording if possible to minimize processing delays (latency), and definitely avoid using the hogs (aka mastering plugins). Some lightweight plugs on a fast machine would be fine.
    "Direct monitoring" usually means you are hearing the sound you are recording without it going into the box at all, just a loop echo through the interface or mixer. If you are doing that, then the processing speed of the plugs is irrelevant, so that is not apparently what you are doing.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1