simple mastering questions

Author
sharpdion23
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 784
2011/07/01 16:12:38 (permalink)

simple mastering questions

Do I export the project first and bring it back in a new project as a single stereo file and then master or could I just put izotope 4 in the master bus in the current project without exporting?

Win7 pro 64bit*SonarX1 PE 64 bit* AMD Athlon(tm)64 X2 Dual Processor 6000+ 3.00 Ghz* 4GB Ram* 232GB HD* Cakewalk MA-15D* SPS-66 FireWire

Owner of Sonar 6 Studio* Sonar 7 PE * Sonar 8.0 PE * Sonar 8.5.3 PE * Sonar X1 PE *

Link to upload Screens: http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1592276

A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

10 Replies Related Threads

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:simple mastering questions 2011/07/01 17:16:02 (permalink)
    I prefer the concept of creating a totally unprocessed stereo file and bringing that back into a later mastering session. Notice I have used the word later. Those who master at the same time as mixing are doing themselves an injustice. You need time off between those operations to recover from all that mixing! You will make different mastering choices when you do it that way and the resultant mastering will be better. I allow a week or more. Also when you listen to your mixes for a week you will hear stuff that can be improved and if you can recall a complex mix easily it is easy to modify the mix. Another great reason for ITB mixes and a powerful external digital mixer.

A mastering engineer has not been biased with the mixing process and they will create a new session so why not you. Your software will have nothing to do and will operate faster and better. All your CPU power can now focus on the better mastering processors instead of making the music as well.

It is still a good idea to have quality reference material in the same genre handy for checking against during the mixing and the mastering process. It is effective in removing the less than perfect conditions that may prevail in your studio and will help you  make a mix and master that will sound much closer to the best productions out there.

What is the hurry! I use this process not only for my own (or library) music that may not be on such a big deadline but also for clients as well.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    sharpdion23
    Re:simple mastering questions 2011/07/01 17:25:13 (permalink)
    So basically what you are saying is I export a stereo file of my project and come back a week later and import it into a NEW project and apply the ozone 4 to the fx bin?

Win7 pro 64bit*SonarX1 PE 64 bit* AMD Athlon(tm)64 X2 Dual Processor 6000+ 3.00 Ghz* 4GB Ram* 232GB HD* Cakewalk MA-15D* SPS-66 FireWire

Owner of Sonar 6 Studio* Sonar 7 PE * Sonar 8.0 PE * Sonar 8.5.3 PE * Sonar X1 PE *

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:simple mastering questions 2011/07/01 17:41:41 (permalink)
    Sharp,

it doesn't have to be a week.  I keep the "mix" with my project.  Then I use a copy of that file to work on in Sound Forge, tho SONAR will work, too.  So, yes, just open it in a new project.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Jeff Evans
    Re:simple mastering questions 2011/07/01 17:44:28 (permalink)
    Yes that is basically it. I tend to put the mastering processors on the master buss as well rather than on the stereo track that is playing back your mix. I find it is good to reserve that for perhaps some other processing you might want on the track.

Then you have got your mix totally unprocessed which is great. From the mastering session you can export in any number of formats as required. And also if you don't like you mastering for any reason you can easily go back to just the mastering session and change it.

I tend to use three separate mastering processors rather than a single package like Ozone. Mainly because I don't have Ozone but many of the same functions can be found elsewhere with individual components. It is good to be able to change the order of things as well. Sometimes EQ after compression works better etc..

Automation can find its way into mastering sessions as well. It can be an excellent way to adjust things like bringing up lower volume sections etc..

I may use some very light compression on the masterbuss (during mixing) for providing a little glue over the whole mix but I don't consider this mastering as such. Only because the digital mixer can provide this so easily before the track gets printed back into the DAW. And it is sometimes good if you want to end up with a louder track at the end of the day. It is a good place to start getting your rms levels up a little.
    post edited by Jeff Evans - 2011/07/01 17:50:06

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Kylotan
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 995
    Re:simple mastering questions 2011/07/01 17:46:57 (permalink)
    I like to do my mastering on the exported stereo wave file for 2 reasons:
    1. mastering plugins can be quite expensive to run and you don't want them competing with your track plugins for CPU time, or for your DAW to be having to do all your mixing each time you playback.
    2. mastering is usually done across a set of tracks, in order to get them sounding consistent. This means it's useful to import one song per track and to be able to apply song-specific trim or processing before sending to the universal mastering bus. This is pretty impractical to do if you attempt it with the original mixes.
    There is a downside though - sometimes you get to the mastering stage and realise that one of your mixes needs tweaking, so at this point you will need to go back, make the adjustment, render the track again, and reimport it into your mastering project. But this is a small price to pay for the convenience benefits above.

Sonar Platinum (Newburyport) / Win 8.1 64bit / Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Absynth / Kontakt / Play / Superior Drummer 2 / ESP LTD guitar / etc

Twilight's Embrace - gothic/death metal | Other works - instrumental/soundtracks
    Jeff Evans
    Re:simple mastering questions 2011/07/01 17:55:33 (permalink)
    Yes Kylotan you are right about the multiple tune/song thing as I have not even mentioned it yet.

BTW Studio One has a great mastering section in the program and a great feature also in that after you remix anything the newly printed mix is automaticlly transferred over to the mastering session. No importing necessary. Mastering sessions reflect any changes in any mixes etc..

sharpdion23
    Re:simple mastering questions 2011/07/01 19:32:43 (permalink)
    Jeff Evans

Yes Kylotan you are right about the multiple tune/song thing as I have not even mentioned it yet.

BTW Studio One has a great mastering section in the program and a great feature also in that after you remix anything the newly printed mix is automaticlly transferred over to the mastering session. No importing necessary. Mastering sessions reflect any changes in any mixes etc..

I use X1b and don't have Presonus Studio One.

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:simple mastering questions 2011/07/02 11:07:14 (permalink)
    If the computer has the CPU power to run the entire project....  that includes all the synths and FX in the tracks (unless you bounce the synth to audio of course) ...

there is no reason why you would want to export to a new stereo file, unless you are send it out to master.

Just pop the mastering plug(s) into the master bin and have at it.

I mix/master in one project. Often when I add O4 to the master, and get the settings tweezed, I might find that the vocal is now either a bit dull or harsh, so without too much effort, I can open Ozone in the vox track and make some small EQ adjustments there to remedy the situation.

If I'm in a stereo file that was exported, I have to go back to it and remix the vocal track then export it again.

If the computer can handle the load without dropping or chocking..... I say do it all in the one project.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jeff Evans
    Re:simple mastering questions 2011/07/02 20:26:14 (permalink)
    I still think mastering at the time of mixing is only a quick fix and you will still get a better result as per the reasons outlined in my post #2.

But there are other factors at play. The mastering while you mix concept is probably better in a one off situation but mastering is also about bringing together a bunch of pieces for a total experience. eg 10 or 15 songs.  So in that scenario it is a good idea to master one of the unmastered tracks first and also compare that to reference material as well.  Then with that track mastered you can master all the others using the first mastered track as a reference.

This will require you to alter the EQ and compression and levels to suit. Something that cannot be done when you are attempting to master a track right back at the mixing stage. Suppose one of your tracks has a little too much mid range presence.  Are you going to go right back to your mix session and alter the processors in your master buss.  Hardly, and you won't have the reference track or the others around either to compare it against. Blind!

A good mastering engineer is not going to want you to pack on a whole lot of mastering tools in your mix buss so why do it.  So if you are mastering yourself then apply the same approach.  It is a good idea to have a mix without any processing at all or very little.  If you print a mix with a lot of mastering processes on then you don't have that. You may not be able to go back to a full mixdown session for other reasons as well.  A separate mastering session also tends to make you tweak and mould the sound a bit more and spend more time on each track.  Putting mastering processors on a mix tends to make you select presets and go or do it much faster.  Are you really doing the track justice?  Mastering is NOT about presets. Presets have no knowledge of the music that is passing through them. It is about fine tuning and careful adjustment for each and every tune in a CD. If you do not have the skills to do these fine adjustments then don't do it. Find a good mastering engineer instead who can.  Presets will get you a result but you will get a better result if you do the fine tuning yourself.

You do not have to wait a week but it is better IMO if you do. 3 days is OK but after a week you have forgotten how the track sounds and when you hear it again it will sound fresh and you will have a better idea of what to do. Do the mastering in the morning as well after a good nights sleep!

I have read countless articles where famous engineers said they mastered either the same day or next after a mix and it was a BIG mistake. But it was done due to deadlines and in the end they were not happy with the final outcome.

sharpdion23
    Re:simple mastering questions 2011/07/03 13:23:13 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

If the computer has the CPU power to run the entire project....  that includes all the synths and FX in the tracks (unless you bounce the synth to audio of course) ...

there is no reason why you would want to export to a new stereo file, unless you are send it out to master.

Just pop the mastering plug(s) into the master bin and have at it.

I mix/master in one project. Often when I add O4 to the master, and get the settings tweezed, I might find that the vocal is now either a bit dull or harsh, so without too much effort, I can open Ozone in the vox track and make some small EQ adjustments there to remedy the situation.

If I'm in a stereo file that was exported, I have to go back to it and remix the vocal track then export it again.

If the computer can handle the load without dropping or chocking..... I say do it all in the one project.
    Thanks Herb,

I guess that is the way I will do it too. It does seem practical not to keep exporting.

I will do my mastering most likely 3-4 days after my mix.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1