" IN LIVING COLOR " ITS FINAL NOW !

Author
radio
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2782
2011/07/02 17:10:12 (permalink)

" IN LIVING COLOR " ITS FINAL NOW !

After all the work I poured into this song redoing everything except for the drum track I decided to go ahead and post it .
It has a brand new song title for starters now called " In Living Color " and yes it will have lyrics and vocals added to it next .

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=10810542&q=hi&newref=1

My new song has Seven new chords in the verses and in the chorus sections , four in each verse and three in each chorus sections .
Yes its completely LEGAL now , please no tickets !
I completely changed by bass track to something else new and different , with a new bass track and a new chord progression I had to create a new melody for my new song .

I deleted six tracks and then remixed it , I also got rid of the intro section too .
The song now opens up with a drum fill  , thats pretty much it .

Radio

post edited by radio - 2011/07/05 15:30:44

24 Replies Related Threads

Thatsastrat
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1267
    Re: " IN LIVING COLOR " ALL NEW SONG 2011/07/02 19:35:14 (permalink)
    Well !!!!!!!!
    Are you happy with it?
    radio
    Re: " IN LIVING COLOR " ALL NEW SONG 2011/07/02 21:17:15 (permalink)
    Thatsastrat

Well !!!!!!!!
    Are you happy with it?

Ummmmmmm thats what I call Sarcasm , hell yea I'm happy with it !
              Tell me are you happy being you , Well !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:" IN LIVING COLOR " ALL NEW SONG 2011/07/03 02:19:56 (permalink)
    James,

Cool vibe.

Only crit. The song could use a strong melody line. Listen to Jeff Beck's "Freeway Jam" (the guitar lick) and see if you can come up with something along those lines.

With all due respect, this is an excellent backing track for either a strong vocal or main instrument theme.
    radio
    Re:" IN LIVING COLOR " ALL NEW SONG 2011/07/03 02:50:23 (permalink)
    bapu

James,

Cool vibe.

Only crit. The song could use a strong melody line. Listen to Jeff Beck's "Freeway Jam" (the guitar lick) and see if you can come up with something along those lines.
    Hey thanks for the listen and positive comment , I'll have to look that song up on youtube and give it a listen .
    My melody was taken from a AM Minor scale , those were the notes I used in this melody .
    Are you talking about maybe using a different instrument synth instead of what I used in here , guitar would sound better but I'm out of luck in that area so for right now this was the best I could come up with .

Thanks for the suggestions and listen , I'll checkout that song and maybe make another melody change .

Radio

With all due respect, this is an excellent backing track for either a strong vocal or main instrument theme.

post edited by radio - 2011/07/03 02:52:44

radio
    Re:" IN LIVING COLOR " ALL NEW SONG 2011/07/03 03:42:45 (permalink)
    Listen to Jeff Beck's "Freeway Jam" (the guitar lick) and see if you can come up with something along those lines.

I checked out that song , great lead but I sort like what I have now .
    Maybe using a real lead guitar but using my keyboard I'm sort limited .

Thanks anyway !
    Radio

Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:" IN LIVING COLOR " ALL NEW SONG 2011/07/03 03:43:55 (permalink)
    Pretty cool tune. Very clean. I like the drum sounds. What did you use to make them? I love sequencing drum parts but I can't yet afford to get a decent drum synth. I agree with Bapu that a strong melody line would really enhance the song.
    Chappel
    Re:" IN LIVING COLOR " ALL NEW SONG 2011/07/03 03:45:13 (permalink)
    radio

Listen to Jeff Beck's "Freeway Jam" (the guitar lick) and see if you can come up with something along those lines.

....but using my keyboard I'm sort limited .

That's where the PRV comes in handy.
    radio
    Re:" IN LIVING COLOR " ALL NEW SONG 2011/07/03 10:52:42 (permalink)
    Chappel

Pretty cool tune. Very clean. I like the drum sounds. What did you use to make them? I love sequencing drum parts but I can't yet afford to get a decent drum synth. I agree with Bapu that a strong melody line would really enhance the song.

Thanks , I use Addictive Drums . Addictive drums has many different
               drum patterns you can work with and drum fills too .
               I sometimes take two different drum patterns in 4/4 and combine them to create
               something different then whats available in the lists , thats what I did here .
               The trick is finding two patterns that will work together to get the sound your
               looking for .
               Also with Drum fills I take a drum fill and shorten the fill or add it to another
               different drum fill to get the drum fills sound I'm looking for like you hear in
               in this song .

I played drums on a professional level so I know what type of sound I'm
               looking for when working with different types of drum patterns & fills .
               When I bought my Addictive drum software it was $149.00 but now
               I see they want more then two hundred for the same software I bought
               four years ago .

As for the melody what do you mean by a stronger melody , like in a different
               instrument sound ?
               I really thought what I played fit the music very well , I guess someone like
               Scotty might come up with a stronger guitar lead or a real professional
               keyboard player .
               I'm not a professional keyboard player , I get by and thats it . If I spent
               the time and effort to learn how to play the keyboard like I did learning
               how to play the drums then I would be great playing the keyboard or on
               a piano .

I took three years of drum lessons off and on learning how to play the drums
               and with my keyboard its pretty much learning on my own by ear .
               Anyway you get where I'm coming from I do the best I can when trying to
               create music on my keyboard .

Thanks again for the listen and suggestions .

Radio

radio
    Re:" IN LIVING COLOR " ALL NEW SONG 2011/07/03 13:01:16 (permalink)

Just a quick update , I posted this song on a different forum and the only suggestion was I had a track that had too much reverb in it .
    So I went back and checked , none of my tracks had reverb added to them but I did find a track in the chorus section where I used a PAD sound to backup what was being played .
    That PAD didn't have reverb added to it it had some compression added to it but it still came across sounding like it had reverb added to it so I deleted that track and now it sounds much better .

I haven't updated it because I might mess around with my melody track for my verse section only .
    I like what is in here now melody wise but maybe theres something I could change to make it sound better plus it need to fit my lyrics I plan on writing for this song , that is important .
    The melody has to fit in with the words in the lyrics to make it work.

Anyway I might be updating it again later on today maybe , see what happens .

Radio

Chappel
    Re:" IN LIVING COLOR " ALL NEW SONG 2011/07/03 14:42:47 (permalink)
    radio

Chappel

... As for the melody what do you mean by a stronger melody , like in a different
               instrument sound ?

Radio

I guess it's just the way I hear things. I was thinking of a melody, or solo, that was a bit louder than the other material to make it stand out more, and more use of smaller note subdivisions like 16th and 16th triplets to both propel the melody and give it more rhythmic complexity. Like a lot of people I compare what I hear to what I imagine I would do. But if what you posted was the way you wanted it to sound then I think you did a great job. I certainly didn't hear anything "wrong" with it.
    radio
    Re:" IN LIVING COLOR " ALL NEW SONG 2011/07/03 17:05:40 (permalink)
    Chappel

radio

Chappel

... As for the melody what do you mean by a stronger melody , like in a different
               instrument sound ?

Radio

I guess it's just the way I hear things. I was thinking of a melody, or solo, that was a bit louder than the other material to make it stand out more, and more use of smaller note subdivisions like 16th and 16th triplets to both propel the melody and give it more rhythmic complexity. Like a lot of people I compare what I hear to what I imagine I would do. But if what you posted was the way you wanted it to sound then I think you did a great job. I certainly didn't hear anything "wrong" with it.

I just made some new changes , I added a brass horn in the chorus section and I also made  small changes in the verse melody and then remixed it using Record this time .
    I'm pretty happy with it right now , I think its safe to move on to writing some lyrics to the music and see where I end up at that point .
    If all goes we'll then I move on to the third stage which is vocals , see what happens in two or three weeks from now .

Thanks ! Radio

DJSur
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 326
    Re:" IN LIVING COLOR " ALL NEW SONG 2011/07/03 17:37:41 (permalink)
    Positive: Nice arrangement, cool mix of instrument sounds - natural and synthetic. Good drum programming. I like it! 

Constructive: I'm hearing tonal dissonances here and there in the guitar, also in the left hand accomp. of the Rhodes track. The digital bell track has a harsh top end. The crash and china cymbals are also harsh.  

Good work!

soundcloud   acidplanet   myspace

on-line fo-rum (n) - data warehouse that provides little to no ROI 
    philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:" IN LIVING COLOR " ALL NEW SONG 2011/07/03 18:12:47 (permalink)
    James, this is sounding good.  I really like the groove you've got going, and the drum track is outstanding.

The only crit I've got is that the cymbal crashes were distractingly loud.

It will be interesting to hear this with lyrics and vocals when you add those.
    radio
    Re:" IN LIVING COLOR " ALL NEW SONG 2011/07/03 21:41:57 (permalink)
    DJSur

Positive: Nice arrangement, cool mix of instrument sounds - natural and synthetic. Good drum programming. I like it! 

Constructive: I'm hearing tonal dissonances here and there in the guitar, also in the left hand accomp. of the Rhodes track. The digital bell track has a harsh top end. The crash and china cymbals are also harsh.  

Good work!

Thanks for the listen and comments , I'll have to go back and checkout all of these things you talked about .
    As for the guitar , that was done using Notion 3 . I thought about replacing that using something else , maybe I will do that as well .
    Thanks for the feeback , glad you liked most of it .
    Radio

radio
    Re:" IN LIVING COLOR " ALL NEW SONG 2011/07/03 21:47:34 (permalink)
    philz

James, this is sounding good.  I really like the groove you've got going, and the drum track is outstanding.

The only crit I've got is that the cymbal crashes were distractingly loud.

It will be interesting to hear this with lyrics and vocals when you add those.

Thanks for telling me that , the cymbal volume level I will have to look into too .
    Thanks again , glad you enjoyed the song . Also with the lyrics I'm hoping this melody is going to work with what I want to write for the song, if it doesn't then that means I have to figure out a new melody .
    Thanks again for the listen ! Radio

post edited by radio - 2011/07/03 21:48:47

radio
    Re:" IN LIVING COLOR " ALL NEW SONG 2011/07/03 23:17:27 (permalink)

Heres what  I did , I deleted my guitar Notion 3 track and replaced it with two new tracks .
    A new bass track for the chorus section and also an extra brass horn track to back up that new bass  .
    The bass and the brass horn is now replacing the sound I had when Notion 3 was in there , sounds much cleaner now .

I also lowered the volume level for my crash cymbals , they should not sound as loud as before .

Thats it , my ears are now in shock from working with this song .
    I'm calling this a done deal except for the lyrics and vocals .

Radio

radio
    Re:" IN LIVING COLOR " ALL NEW SONG 2011/07/04 03:20:49 (permalink)

Whoops I screwed up adding that extra bass track in , I watched
    a movie for two hours and went back to listen to it again and wow it really sounded muddy in the chorus section .

That goes to show you how your ears can play tricks on you after listening to it too long , two hours later after your ears recover you say crap this really sounds bad this bass track I added to the chorus section .
    I need to try maybe a good electric guitar sound instead of a bass guitar sound .

Anyway I had to fix it and update the song again , on well there goes my soundclick ratings again .

Radio

Freddy J
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2348
    Re:" IN LIVING COLOR " WHOOPS ! 2011/07/04 12:25:04 (permalink)
    Nice one.  I really like the drum tracks that you have created.  I look forward to hearing the lyrics that you might put to this.

Freddy J
    radio
    Re:" IN LIVING COLOR " WHOOPS ! 2011/07/04 12:50:24 (permalink)
    Freddy J

Nice one.  I really like the drum tracks that you have created.  I look forward to hearing the lyrics that you might put to this.

Freddy J

Thanks freddy , see where I end up in two weeks with lyrics and vocals .
    Radio

Thatsastrat
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1267
    Re: " IN LIVING COLOR " ALL NEW SONG 2011/07/04 16:13:10 (permalink)
    radio

Thatsastrat

Well !!!!!!!!
    Are you happy with it?

Radio,
     Sorry you took this as sarcasm, as this was not my intent. I posed the question to see if you were happy with it. You are the one that ulitimately has to be happy with what is being produced. As for myself, I liked the groove you had going when I posted on another thread. Not always does the written word translate what the message is. I still feel you have missed the point of the suggestions offered in the other thread, to try and add in some changes. For the most part I am happy being me, not all the time, but most of the time.     

radio
    Re: " IN LIVING COLOR " ALL NEW SONG 2011/07/04 17:33:58 (permalink)
    Thatsastrat

radio

Thatsastrat

Well !!!!!!!!
    Are you happy with it?

Radio,
     Sorry you took this as sarcasm, as this was not my intent. I posed the question to see if you were happy with it. You are the one that ulitimately has to be happy with what is being produced. As for myself, I liked the groove you had going when I posted on another thread. Not always does the written word translate what the message is. I still feel you have missed the point of the suggestions offered in the other thread, to try and add in some changes. For the most part I am happy being me, not all the time, but most of the time.     

I'm glad your happy ,so am I . Am I happy with the way the song turned out well not really but its not that bad the way it is .
    I really had intended it to sound more like a rock song but somehow it didn't , I'm still kickin around some other ways to make it sound more like a rock song instead of a Pop song .

I tried , I failed , I tried and failed again , what else can I say atlease I'm not giving up and failing completly . You might say thats a postive thing , but right now I think it sounds good so yes I'm happy for now .

I guess I'll have to feed the monkeys so more bananas or take away their electric guitars ! LOL

post edited by radio - 2011/07/04 17:35:41

darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re: " IN LIVING COLOR " ALL NEW SONG 2011/07/04 18:56:09 (permalink)
    I had to laugh, I just undertook a song of my own this weekend and I had butcher and rebuild it because...  It just needed to be done.  Sometimes those turn out to be the best and the re-work never seems to be as bad as it seems it will be when you first start the hacking and deleting ;>)

This sounds pretty cool.  I like the driving beat and the chords.  Make a great action flick soundtrack.  I like it.

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    radio
    Re: " IN LIVING COLOR " ALL NEW SONG 2011/07/04 21:17:18 (permalink)
    darylcrowley

I had to laugh, I just undertook a song of my own this weekend and I had butcher and rebuild it because...  It just needed to be done.  Sometimes those turn out to be the best and the re-work never seems to be as bad as it seems it will be when you first start the hacking and deleting ;>)

This sounds pretty cool.  I like the driving beat and the chords.  Make a great action flick soundtrack.  I like it.

Daryl

Thanks Daryl , I hope you didn't walk in at midnight with a chain and steel toe boots ! LOL
    Just kidding , I'm calling this done but reality in my mind is taking snap shots with the thought now what would it sound like if I did this .
    It sounds like we are on the same page wondering if the song would sound better if I climb back in the cage for a third round fight YIKES now that might hurt !

I just woke up feeling like this song has turned into a puzzel , thinking where's the missing piece will I find it tonight messing around with it again .
    See what happens you never know , thanks again Daryl for your comments on my song .

Radio

radio
    Re: " IN LIVING COLOR " ALL NEW SONG 2011/07/05 15:36:24 (permalink)

I know some of you are tired of listening , this is the final song and mix .
    I made some changes in the chorus that sounds the same but slightly different in a good way .
    Also made a few other small changes in other places too .

This time the mix sounds much better then before in my monitor speakers and in my ears .

Now I'm ready to start on the lyrics and then the vocals , two to three weeks hopefully that way be ready to post .

Sorry for all the changes and thanks for all the suggestions in the past week or so , its been a fun rollercoaster ride but worth the effort .

Radio

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1