Acoustic Cover of ET by Katy Perry

Author
JComissio
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 92
2011/07/06 15:31:56 (permalink)

Acoustic Cover of ET by Katy Perry

Hey everyone, I thought I would share my cover of ET with you.  The original is a club, 808ish type song so I thought it would be cool to make an acoustic rendition.  I hope you all enjoy.  Constructive criticism is always welcomed!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuppN9JIAks

Thanks!
-Jonathan

28 Replies Related Threads

SnyderTrigger
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 177
    Re:Acoustic Cover of ET by Katy Perry 2011/07/09 15:47:53 (permalink)
    Awesome job, bro! Wow - this is really nicely done. Love the pauses/harmonies/guitar lead lines. Really tight.

How did you get such a nice, full, acoustic sound? And when you recorded the vocals, did it take a good number of takes for you get the pitch correct? Or did you use slight pitch correction? Cause, man, your pitch is really nice!

Forgot to mention - some Cajon here would've been a cool addition for percussion!
    post edited by SnyderTrigger - 2011/07/09 15:49:23

"Sing a new song to the Lord, for he has done wonderful deeds. His right hand has won a mighty victory; his holy arm has shown his saving power!" - Psalm 98:1

My music: Nick Marsella @ Reverbnation
    SnyderTrigger
    Re:Acoustic Cover of ET by Katy Perry 2011/07/09 15:56:30 (permalink)
    I love your covers with Freestyle Fam!! Man!

"Sing a new song to the Lord, for he has done wonderful deeds. His right hand has won a mighty victory; his holy arm has shown his saving power!" - Psalm 98:1

Heckxx
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 338
    Re:Acoustic Cover of ET by Katy Perry 2011/07/10 18:31:39 (permalink)
    Great stuff man! I'm actually working on my own cover of E.T., based on piano, and I hope I can create something half as good as that. That's pretty cool how you changed the chord progression for most of the song, and it still sounds great; the lyrics and structure of the song are so universal, it's perfect for these sort of covers.

Keep it up!
    -Jeff
    BenMMusTech
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2606
    Re:Acoustic Cover of ET by Katy Perry 2011/07/10 19:24:40 (permalink)
    Well done on the recording, great acoustic sound, great vocals but a man singing this song is a bit creepy.  The lyrics work well, I think only when a female sings it.

Sorry

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    http://1331.space/
    https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
    http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    Re:Acoustic Cover of ET by Katy Perry 2011/07/11 15:29:13 (permalink)
    I don't know the original, but, this was well played and mixed, especially the acoustic!

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    JComissio
    Re:Acoustic Cover of ET by Katy Perry 2011/07/11 16:00:23 (permalink)
    SnyderTrigger

Awesome job, bro! Wow - this is really nicely done. Love the pauses/harmonies/guitar lead lines. Really tight.

How did you get such a nice, full, acoustic sound? And when you recorded the vocals, did it take a good number of takes for you get the pitch correct? Or did you use slight pitch correction? Cause, man, your pitch is really nice!

Forgot to mention - some Cajon here would've been a cool addition for percussion!

Hey Snyder thanks for the awesome feedback.  As far as the acoustic guitar - I have an AWESOME Guild Jumbo Acoustic.  It was my fathers and it truly does get better with age lol.  It naturally has a beautiful full sound, so that helps.  I used two Audix ADX51 pencil condenser mics - one was pointed towards the bridge area and another more towards the 12th fret.  You gotta angle them and just use your ears to get the right balance of high's and lows.  Then I just hard panned them left and right, touched up the EQ, added some light compression, and a little reverb.  I'm really glad you liked it man because I have been really working hard on my acoustic sound.  As far as the vocals go, I do my very best to not use any vocal correction.  It took me a very long time to get the pitch down and really get a performance I was proud of.  After I tracked some vocals that I thought were pretty on point I added a pitch correcter with very light settings just to get a shiny, smooth, commercial sound (yes, I know - pitch correction is frowned upon, but hey, when used properly it really does make the recording sound much better).  So yeah that's pretty much it!

DUDE!  You are so right on point with the Cajon!!  Unfortunately, I don't own one!  That is definitely my next instrument to buy because they go perfectly with acoustic songs.  Boyce Avenue uses the Cajon in a lot of their covers and it sounds awesome!  If you don't know them then definitely check them out.  Thanks again dude!

-Jonathan

PS - I love the scripture in your signature area.  God bless brother!
    JComissio
    Re:Acoustic Cover of ET by Katy Perry 2011/07/11 16:03:25 (permalink)
    Heckxx

Great stuff man! I'm actually working on my own cover of E.T., based on piano, and I hope I can create something half as good as that. That's pretty cool how you changed the chord progression for most of the song, and it still sounds great; the lyrics and structure of the song are so universal, it's perfect for these sort of covers.

Keep it up!
    -Jeff

Thanks for the compliment dude, I appreciate it!  I'm sure your cover will be great - post it when you're finished!  Thanks again, Jeff.

-Jonathan
    JComissio
    Re:Acoustic Cover of ET by Katy Perry 2011/07/11 16:07:13 (permalink)
    BenMMusTech

Well done on the recording, great acoustic sound, great vocals but a man singing this song is a bit creepy.  The lyrics work well, I think only when a female sings it.

Sorry

haha no need to be sorry dude!  I'm glad you appreciated the quality though.  It is kinda tough to get passed the fact that it was originally a female singing it lol.  Thanks for checking it out man, I'm glad you kinda sorta enjoyed it haha. 

-Jonathan
    JComissio
    Re:Acoustic Cover of ET by Katy Perry 2011/07/11 16:09:58 (permalink)
    lhansen

I don't know the original, but, this was well played and mixed, especially the acoustic!

Thanks dude, I really appreciate it!  I'm really happy the mix came out as good as it did because I still have a lot to learn!

-Jonathan
    Portsmouth
    • Total Posts : 70
    Re:Acoustic Cover of ET by Katy Perry 2011/07/11 17:48:11 (permalink)
    knocked out by this cover. I think it sounds better than the original.

Great sound on the acoustic and the vocals. Great arrangement.

You should be very proud of your work on this.
    Scoobie
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 263
    Re:Acoustic Cover of ET by Katy Perry 2011/07/11 20:04:47 (permalink)
    I have never heard the original.............but you did a great job.

Love the Guild. 

Tim

Outback Remote Recording,  16 or 24 track mobile rig.
    spacealf
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2133
    Re:Acoustic Cover of ET by Katy Perry 2011/07/11 20:48:09 (permalink)
    Ya, ditto! Never heard the original, but sounds fine what you did.

JComissio
    Re:Acoustic Cover of ET by Katy Perry 2011/07/12 00:00:31 (permalink)
    Portsmouth

knocked out by this cover. I think it sounds better than the original.

Great sound on the acoustic and the vocals. Great arrangement.

You should be very proud of your work on this.

Wow dude that is so awesome of you to say!  Please feel free to share this with friends and family - I can use all the exposure I can get ;-).  Thanks!

-Jonathan
    JComissio
    Re:Acoustic Cover of ET by Katy Perry 2011/07/12 00:02:30 (permalink)
    spacealf

Ya, ditto! Never heard the original, but sounds fine what you did.

Thanks dude I appreciate you taking the time to give me some feedback!

-Jonathan
    JComissio
    Re:Acoustic Cover of ET by Katy Perry 2011/07/12 00:05:09 (permalink)
    Scoobie

I have never heard the original.............but you did a great job.

Love the Guild. 

Tim

Thanks for the kind words Time - much appreciated!  I'm glad you're diggin the guitar man.  I can honestly say I have never played an acoustic that felt and sounded this good to me - I definitely lucked out!

-Jonathan
    SnyderTrigger
    Re:Acoustic Cover of ET by Katy Perry 2011/07/12 13:30:11 (permalink)
    JComissio

SnyderTrigger

Hey Snyder thanks for the awesome feedback.  As far as the acoustic guitar - I have an AWESOME Guild Jumbo Acoustic.  It was my fathers and it truly does get better with age lol.  It naturally has a beautiful full sound, so that helps.  I used two Audix ADX51 pencil condenser mics - one was pointed towards the bridge area and another more towards the 12th fret.  You gotta angle them and just use your ears to get the right balance of high's and lows.  Then I just hard panned them left and right, touched up the EQ, added some light compression, and a little reverb.  I'm really glad you liked it man because I have been really working hard on my acoustic sound.  As far as the vocals go, I do my very best to not use any vocal correction.  It took me a very long time to get the pitch down and really get a performance I was proud of.  After I tracked some vocals that I thought were pretty on point I added a pitch correcter with very light settings just to get a shiny, smooth, commercial sound (yes, I know - pitch correction is frowned upon, but hey, when used properly it really does make the recording sound much better).  So yeah that's pretty much it!

DUDE!  You are so right on point with the Cajon!!  Unfortunately, I don't own one!  That is definitely my next instrument to buy because they go perfectly with acoustic songs.  Boyce Avenue uses the Cajon in a lot of their covers and it sounds awesome!  If you don't know them then definitely check them out.  Thanks again dude!

-Jonathan

Awesome, bro! So you went stereo. I see. Usually, I have to just record two separate guitar tracks, one at a time, for it to sound full like that (only have one condenser). 

And haha! I'm so glad I'm not alone in it taking a lot of time to get a vocal track that sounds good. My pitch is something I'm trying to work on as well. And I do have to say I've used light pitch correction just to cover the little things that separates it from sounding professionally done, and like I'm in my room (like you said, even though I really am just in my room lol).

Yep! I've definitely heard of Boyce Avenue before. Their covers are great. I love the cajon - my brother just recently used it for a worship set at church, and it's just SO perfect for acoustic set ups.

And thanks bro! My goal in music is to bring the Lord glory - I'm an aspiring Christian songwriter and worship leader! God bless you as well!

JComissio
    Re:Acoustic Cover of ET by Katy Perry 2011/07/12 14:29:33 (permalink)
    SnyderTrigger

JComissio

SnyderTrigger

-Jonathan

Awesome, bro! So you went stereo. I see. Usually, I have to just record two separate guitar tracks, one at a time, for it to sound full like that (only have one condenser). 

And haha! I'm so glad I'm not alone in it taking a lot of time to get a vocal track that sounds good. My pitch is something I'm trying to work on as well. And I do have to say I've used light pitch correction just to cover the little things that separates it from sounding professionally done, and like I'm in my room (like you said, even though I really am just in my room lol).

Yep! I've definitely heard of Boyce Avenue before. Their covers are great. I love the cajon - my brother just recently used it for a worship set at church, and it's just SO perfect for acoustic set ups.

And thanks bro! My goal in music is to bring the Lord glory - I'm an aspiring Christian songwriter and worship leader! God bless you as well!

That's awesome dude!  Keep doing what ya doing! Do you have any stuff on the internet I can hear?

-Jonathan
    post edited by JComissio - 2011/07/12 14:33:02
    philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:Acoustic Cover of ET by Katy Perry 2011/07/12 14:42:39 (permalink)
    Hey Jon, and welcome to the Songs forum.  I never heard the original, and while the tune was definitely not my cup of joe, you did one helluva job on it.  I've owned some Guild acoustics in the past (D40 and an F35?), and I can tell you that your hard work on getting your guitar recording down is definitely showing up in the results.  Guitar tone and mixing was just great.

The vocal was super too, and the harmony lines were to die for.  Great job!
    JComissio
    Re:Acoustic Cover of ET by Katy Perry 2011/07/12 17:13:18 (permalink)
    philz

Hey Jon, and welcome to the Songs forum.  I never heard the original, and while the tune was definitely not my cup of joe, you did one helluva job on it.  I've owned some Guild acoustics in the past (D40 and an F35?), and I can tell you that your hard work on getting your guitar recording down is definitely showing up in the results.  Guitar tone and mixing was just great.

The vocal was super too, and the harmony lines were to die for.  Great job!

Ahhhhh another Guild lover! =]  Thank you so much for the awesome feedback Phil.  I'm really happy that so many people are enjoying this song/mix.  Like I said before, I definitely have to give major credit to the Guild! - the tone is just naturally so awesome!  I'm glad I learned how to capture and preserve it properly - because I used to destroy it when I didn't know what I was doing! haha.  Thanks again!

-Jon
    SnyderTrigger
    Re:Acoustic Cover of ET by Katy Perry 2011/07/13 14:43:41 (permalink)
    JComissio

SnyderTrigger

JComissio

SnyderTrigger

-Jonathan

That's awesome dude!  Keep doing what ya doing! Do you have any stuff on the internet I can hear?

-Jonathan

Absolutely! You can go to two places:
    www.facebook.com/nickmarsella
    www.reverbnation.com/nickmarsella

Would love your input! I saved up and bought some recording equipment/software and record songs in my room. All the glory goes to Christ.

JComissio
    Re:Acoustic Cover of ET by Katy Perry 2011/07/13 17:19:27 (permalink)
    SnyderTrigger

JComissio

SnyderTrigger

JComissio

SnyderTrigger

-Jonathan

-Jonathan

Absolutely! You can go to two places:
    www.facebook.com/nickmarsella
    www.reverbnation.com/nickmarsella

Would love your input! I saved up and bought some recording equipment/software and record songs in my room. All the glory goes to Christ.

Awesome dude.  I just LIKED your music page.  If you could LIKE mine I'd really appreciate it.  I definitely want to stay in touch - maybe we can collaborate in the future.  Im gonna give your songs a listen when I get the chance.  So what gear did you invest in?

-Jonathan
    SnyderTrigger
    Re:Acoustic Cover of ET by Katy Perry 2011/07/13 18:36:33 (permalink)
    Awesome! I saw that, and I did the same for your page. And for sure, man! 

As for gear, I have an M-Audio Fast Track MKII, an AT2020 Condenser, Sennheiser headphones, and Presonus' Studio One Artist software (my friend told me about this awesome deal - instead of 200-300 bucks, it was only 20 bucks!). So yeah, that's about it. That Presonus software rocks, though.

jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:Acoustic Cover of ET by Katy Perry 2011/07/13 22:18:27 (permalink)
    Well sung and mixed stuff. Her version is cool, but it does bother me after my kids put it on for the millionth time!
    Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:Acoustic Cover of ET by Katy Perry 2011/07/13 22:48:34 (permalink)
    I've never heard the original but I really liked your version.

I have a slow connection so I had to view the 240P (with crappy audio quality) version and can't really comment on the mix/master ... but from what I can tell it sounds really good.

Thanks,

Bub

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    JComissio
    Re:Acoustic Cover of ET by Katy Perry 2011/07/24 15:43:51 (permalink)
    jamesyoyo

Well sung and mixed stuff. Her version is cool, but it does bother me after my kids put it on for the millionth time!

Haha I hear ya James.  Thanks for listening and commenting!

-Jonathan
    JComissio
    Re:Acoustic Cover of ET by Katy Perry 2011/07/24 15:45:05 (permalink)
    Bub

I've never heard the original but I really liked your version.

I have a slow connection so I had to view the 240P (with crappy audio quality) version and can't really comment on the mix/master ... but from what I can tell it sounds really good.

Thanks,

Bub

Thanks Bub I appreciate it!  I'm glad you enjoyed it.  Thanks for commenting!

-Jonathan
    elix
    • Total Posts : 187
    Re:Acoustic Cover of ET by Katy Perry 2011/07/24 15:48:59 (permalink)
    wow .. great sound !!

ciao
    elix  
    - - - - - 
    Intel Dp 55 SB, I5 750, 8 gb 1333, RME FF 400, UAD Solo , FaderPort, Yamaha P60, Korg (M1/ 01W/ Wavestation), CME UF7, Yamaha Msp8, Sony SS.
    Sonar X3 Production ProChannel(full), Universal Audio, Wavelab 6, Z3ta.

my Music : https://soundcloud.com/#e2studio
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Acoustic Cover of ET by Katy Perry 2011/07/24 16:14:08 (permalink)
    Great work Jonathan. I particularly like how well you lip/strum synced. Perfect. 
    Great performance and video.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1