Mixing and Mastering Techniques you use

Author
sharpdion23
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 784
2011/07/07 22:44:07 (permalink)

Mixing and Mastering Techniques you use

I'm sure this was asked before but I would like to create a new thread for this so that it also applies to the latest sonar programs.

I was just getting to a point where I need to add new techniques to what I currently know. It doesn't matter what kind of technique, just post it up! From basic gain staging to advanced fine tuning stages.

This will really help me out!

Win7 pro 64bit*SonarX1 PE 64 bit* AMD Athlon(tm)64 X2 Dual Processor 6000+ 3.00 Ghz* 4GB Ram* 232GB HD* Cakewalk MA-15D* SPS-66 FireWire

Owner of Sonar 6 Studio* Sonar 7 PE * Sonar 8.0 PE * Sonar 8.5.3 PE * Sonar X1 PE *

Link to upload Screens: http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1592276

A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

3 Replies Related Threads

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Mixing and Mastering Techniques you use 2011/07/08 01:29:46 (permalink)
    I like to read books. I know, as Zappa said, talking about music is like dancing about architecture. But when it comes to the technical stuff, you really can get pointed in the right direction in a book. Start with Roey Izhaki's "Mixing Audio" followed by Bob Katz's "Mastering Audio". Those two will keep you entertained for quite a while.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:Mixing and Mastering Techniques you use 2011/07/08 03:24:01 (permalink)
    These days, with computers, given that you can do 10 trial run mixes a day if you want, one option is to just do it, reset all the knobs and do it again, and repeat, doing something different every time to see what works. Yeh, it's not exactly a short cut answer, but it does work.

One thing I'd recommend for mixing would be to get some good professional tracks to practice mixing, and where you can hear what others have done with those tracks. Then you know you'll be starting with quality stuff so you know any failure in the mix is your own, and you can see, once you get the mix done, what kind of source material (as recorded) it took to get that type of mix, so you can work backwards from there as well. Hearing the original tracks of songs you've heard mixed is very instructive, and often they may sound nothing like what you'd expect. It really helps you get it on disc/tape better to start with. If you are doing heroic mixes to get something sounding good, then it's already really a failure ultimately, IMO.

Search for Weathervane Stems and you'll find a good set of tracks to work with. They record stuff and throw it out there for folks to mix, and it's good stuff, original material with talented artists.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Mixing and Mastering Techniques you use 2011/07/08 08:22:33 (permalink)
    Reading the books is, I believe, an excellent way to get a good understanding of what happens when you turn the knobs, and why you should turn the knobs.  I have read quite a bit on this topic. I also believe a decent level of electronics theory knowledge will help one to understand what is happening "inside the box" when that knob is turned....also very valuable.

For real world applications, I insert Ozone 4, start with a likely looking preset, and then I tweeze the controls to get it to sound like I think it should sound.

For some good reading.... go to the Ozone Website and download the free PDF's on mixing and mastering with Ozone. (they are at the bottom of the page)  They talk about O4 but the info is applicable to any mastering software because the principle is the same.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1