"What Love Really Means" JJ Heller Cover w/ Emilie Weiss

Author
SnyderTrigger
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 177
2011/07/15 16:08:53 (permalink)

"What Love Really Means" JJ Heller Cover w/ Emilie Weiss

Hey guys! 

I just finished this on Tuesday, and I thought I'd share. It's a cover of a song by JJ Heller - it's called "What Love Really Means". Emilie and I actually got to perform this for my highschool graduation ceremony, and we thought it would be fun to record. So we did! Hope it blesses ya! Critiques and suggestions are always welcome. This was my first time EQing and mixing a lead female vocalist. It's a little different than a guy's. 

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_9404057

Thanks for listening!

"Sing a new song to the Lord, for he has done wonderful deeds. His right hand has won a mighty victory; his holy arm has shown his saving power!" - Psalm 98:1

My music: Nick Marsella @ Reverbnation

9 Replies Related Threads

spacealf
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2133
    Re:"What Love Really Means" JJ Heller Cover w/ Emilie Weiss 2011/07/15 17:39:30 (permalink)
    Kind of a ballad. But near the end, the harmony voice did not seem loud enough. I think it started out louder before that and seem to fade the more it went along. The singer (female) seem to do a good job on the song as well as the guitar part playing. Maybe (?) build up the song sooner although that may not be possible with how it is.

SnyderTrigger
    Re:"What Love Really Means" JJ Heller Cover w/ Emilie Weiss 2011/07/16 00:16:09 (permalink)
    Yeah, the harmonies could have been tweaked a little, and I see what you're saying with the dynamics. Thanks, man!

"Sing a new song to the Lord, for he has done wonderful deeds. His right hand has won a mighty victory; his holy arm has shown his saving power!" - Psalm 98:1

Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:"What Love Really Means" JJ Heller Cover w/ Emilie Weiss 2011/07/16 19:11:42 (permalink)
    I hear this on the radio all the time and you two did a fine job of it.  Congrats on getting to sing it at school!  Way to go.  :)  You're both great singers.  I'm no expert on mixers, but I like it that I can hear her perfectly clearly.  I'm also not much of a guitar player, but I like what I'm hearing.  I like it when it starts to build.  I guess I'd have to agree that that would be nice to hear earlier, but possibly just because I saw that spacealf mentioned it.

Anyway, this is really really nice, both of you!
    BretB
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 508
    Re:"What Love Really Means" JJ Heller Cover w/ Emilie Weiss 2011/07/16 19:20:34 (permalink)
    I was thinking wow, this could be a hit and should be out there.  Then I saw that it is a "cover" so it probably already is!  Nice job from you guys though.  I have not heard the original.  My only input is that it seems a little left channel heavy.

Sonar Platinum - A&H ZED R16 - KRK VXT4's - Yamaha DTXpress IV & Gretsch Catalina Maple kits

"Music is what feelings sound like"
    https://soundcloud.com/bret575b
    SnyderTrigger
    Re:"What Love Really Means" JJ Heller Cover w/ Emilie Weiss 2011/07/16 20:29:27 (permalink)
    @ Janet Thank you - thanks for listening! Yeah, I think I agree with the build being sooner. 

@BretB Lol! Yeah, it's already a hit. JJ Heller is sooo talented. She has a beautiful voice. Thanks, though! Emilie's voice was a perfect fit for this song, so that's why we chose it. Yeah, I dunno, for some reason my ears liked it when I put more on the left. It almost helped sink everything in or something. Pretty strange. I probably should have kept her voice center, and then  have my harmonies stay where they are. Thanks for listening!

morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:"What Love Really Means" JJ Heller Cover w/ Emilie Weiss 2011/07/17 12:12:47 (permalink)
    Hi Nick, nice, very nice, don't change a thing .

Greetings, Rik
    SnyderTrigger
    Re:"What Love Really Means" JJ Heller Cover w/ Emilie Weiss 2011/07/18 13:15:20 (permalink)
    Thanks, Rik! Means a lot.

dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    Re:"What Love Really Means" JJ Heller Cover w/ Emilie Weiss 2011/07/18 13:53:05 (permalink)
    Wow great job! Beatiful performances captured very well. I actually how you did the bridge better than the original. 

I like how JJ Heller incorporates such a folksy feel in CCM - we did "Your Hands" in my church band and it went over really well.
    SnyderTrigger
    Re:"What Love Really Means" JJ Heller Cover w/ Emilie Weiss 2011/07/19 12:54:53 (permalink)
    Awesome! Thanks so much, Dave! Means a lot. And I agree - i love her influence on CCM. Glad it went well! :D

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1