• Total Posts : 319
2011/07/22 18:03:08 (permalink)

Mixing tips

Check this out  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Enhcve9Lblc

7 Replies Related Threads

Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Mixing tips 2011/07/22 19:36:06 (permalink)
    Great job Steven!  Thank you for this.  Many blessings!

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    IK Obi
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1549
    Re:Mixing tips 2011/07/24 13:41:22 (permalink)
    Those youtube videos are great! His blog is just as awesome and i suggest anyone that liked tese to subscribe to it as well!
    Rain
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9736
    Re:Mixing tips 2011/07/24 14:39:40 (permalink)
    Yep. Watched a few last night. Cool little vids. 
    That LCR thingie seems a bit odd to me though. :s

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Mixing tips 2011/07/24 18:39:42 (permalink)
    +1 Rain

TBH, IMHO, his LCR panning thing is pretty outlandish, even for crowded mixes; so is his gain staging (for 24-bit Sonar), buss comps, digital tape-saturation,

... and his protools signal-generator sine-wave send for the kick (when you could more easily have boosted the kick track-EQ at 50-60Hz ... LOL).  To each his own I guess.

I tried his LCR thing and there was suddenly a lot of dreadful unnatural open space around the bass-line and vox ... though my bass and kicks had more monophonic room and clarity.  His mix was quite spurious, cacaphonic, and crowded though, and begged room down the center room for harmony vocs, let alone the bass-guitar and kick.

But the LCR logic may make sense for our hip-hop skating-dancing mixes where the kick/bass-synth dominates/rules.  I'll let Danzi and/or you-all decide if I ruined a valid mix for the LCR thing. 

Certainly our late JimmyMan utterly despises LCR logic ... he hated stereo mayham tricks and preferred to check mixes in mono ... despite the fact that all radios are stereo ... ha ha!

The author used a crowded Christian mix, with 'untempered' un-melodyned vocs.  Ouch!

While Christian-groans spark me up, off-pitch studio vocs I hate.  Even his touted telephone-vox technique couldn't redeem the hideous pitch issues of one 'spiritual' singer. 

Then there's that heated hypocritical spiritual battle warring in my members ... while listening

"Should I do telephone vox instead of melodyne to redeem the vocs"?  Hahaha!

Personally, I'd have rushed to the melodyne 1st and foremost in this vox-dominant Christian mix ... above all the other (32) 5 minute tricks.  But that is just my personal and stupid opinion.  Just cause I'm a Christian doesn't give me a right to sing like Bob Dylan ... hahaha!  (IMHO, JMO)

But his videos do validate things you/I already struggle with, like bass-distortion, telephone-vox techniques, 40msec LT-RT delays, Haas delays, doubletracking, HPFs, complimentary EQing, vox enveloping, octave doubling for guitars, cutting and pasting (guitar) tracks for LT RT delays, mono-fying in crowded mixes, etc. 

Its truly stimulating to see videos validating my workflow and my mixing struggles.

He could probably have summanrized all 32 of his 5-minute videos into one or two, perhaps with a little deft cut and pasting, as I found myself repeatedly fastforwarding.

OTOH, his teaching is patient, painstaking, and motivating, and best of all ... he doesn't behave like a commercial, IMHO.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Rain
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9736
    Re:Mixing tips 2011/07/25 00:45:40 (permalink)
    I have just watched a few so far, and, like you mention, a lot of their value comes from the fact that they're stimulating and sometimes help you step back a bit and rethink how you do things. 

I like watching people work, to see how they solve issues, even when their solutions seem a bit odd or when they're plain wrong about something. It makes me want to try stuff. Just like I like spending time reading about compressors, reverbs and eq's, be it reviews or tutorial, or opinions here on this forum. Some people watch tv or go for a walk when they want to relax - me, I read manuals, I test plug-ins and watch tutorials. :s

Plus, to his credit: I've rarely, if ever, seen anyone using an expander in that type of tutorial. This dynamic processor is the misunderstood kid in the family. We always hear about compression and, in a lesser measure, gate, and I too tend to completely overlook expanders. 
    post edited by Rain - 2011/07/25 00:47:39

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    URIELSUITE
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 89
    Re:Mixing tips 2011/07/25 09:15:14 (permalink)
    Oh yes,those vids are just what I needed. Thanks Steve
    StevenMikel
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 319
    Re:Mixing tips 2011/07/25 12:41:44 (permalink)
    You're all welcome and I'm glad I could be of some help to anybody.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1