Guitar Tracks Pro 4 installed, now what?

Author
chris2002rock
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24
2011/07/25 20:28:31 (permalink)

Guitar Tracks Pro 4 installed, now what?

I've installed GTP4 and find it totally underwhelming. I can't figure out how to install MIDI with my keyboard, and I understood there were tutorials and "extras" and I find only 2 very simple project samples, and nothing in the way of a tutorial. I guess this is a case where nobody wants to admit they can't do much with it. It doesn't even have a wave editor? Really?

What makes this better than Audacity? I assume there are things "hidden" that previous Cakewalk users might be able to find, but it looks like I have no such luck. In 2011, still there are companies that have products with no support published. I don't even know if I can buy a manual. What a waste. I should have spent a thousand dollars on Sonar Producer and training? The promises that new users will appreciate this? No way. I have programming experience! I am not afraid to admit I can't use something. That is not my fault.

Now you know. If you bought it and can't use it, don't feel stupid. OTOH, there aren't any competitors that do much better. The key is never pay for anything before you see its use, because you won't get what you paid for. Use freeware, and pay after you see what it does. I should have known by the lack of any training or even orientation documents. It says I have Gigs of samples. 

I'm going to ask for an RMA. It screwed up my other drivers for Jam Vox, which uses VSTs and a special hardware I/O, it might have been Native Instruments, which is even worse, because the software requires that I register for a new account but there is no URL to do so, just an inaccurate description of the choices I am supposed to see. I contacted their tech support, and got another set of directions that are incorrectly directing me according directions not available to me. I have seen that almost everywhere in Cakewalk, Alesis, Ableton, all have the worst documentation I have ever seen. 

6 Replies Related Threads

chris2002rock
    Re:Guitar Tracks Pro 4 installed, now what? 2011/07/26 15:09:39 (permalink)
    I can't even adjust the gain properly on my tracks. It has a "gain" control that moves very unnaturally, in 2 different directions at the same time! I have NEVER seen any software control that behaves like this! WHAT could be happening? How could such a kludge be acceptable in any environment? This is worse than student software. It blows my mind. I looked in the manual, and all it says is:

"The Console View is where you can combine the sounds on all the different tracks to
    create the final mix of your song or project. Use the Console view to adjust the levels
    of sound for the different tracks in your project, to change the stereo panning, and to
    apply real-time effects to an individual track, combinations of tracks, or the final mix.
    To switch to the Console View, click the button in the VIEW section of the Control
    Bar or press ALT+3."

OK, that much I know. There are controls that 'look' like real world objects. Fine. The control for volume (during PLAYBACK) is normal. But for gain, there is a martian control that earthlings have never seen.

Does anyone here actually use this software that can tell me how you adjust the gain? I suppose if I created a bus, maybe that will allow me to do it, but what the?!

This is not acceptable. The emperor has no clothes on. I was advised to upgrade to Sonar, less than 24 hours after my installation. The true picture emerges...
    chris2002rock
    Re:Guitar Tracks Pro 4 installed, now what? 2011/07/26 15:15:50 (permalink)

This page has "Sonar" and "Other Cakewalk" but neither contain directions for Guitar Tracks because "other" is not accurate to be usable for Guitar Tracks Pro 4

http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/hwsetup.aspx?dm=roland&man=Edirol
    chris2002rock
    Re:Guitar Tracks Pro 4 installed, now what? 2011/07/26 15:22:52 (permalink)

Here's a screenshot of the "gain" control that operates distinctly different from the volume control directly adjacent to it.
    chris2002rock
    Re:Guitar Tracks Pro 4 installed, now what? 2011/07/26 16:59:09 (permalink)
    Additional problem report:  there is also the problem with Guitar Tracks Pro 4 bundled Native Instruments Guitar Rig 3 is not compatible with my Vox (Jam Vox, using ASIO drivers) software hardware bundle. It not only causes it to fail, preventing me from using it, the Guitar Rig doesn't work either after disabling it. If both products are installed, neither product will work. I had to remove both, and then reinstall my Vox hardware and software. It might be that if I throw away my Vox products, that I can get Guitar Rig to work but at best it will work only as well as my Vox software. I had expected to have more choices, but the best I can hope for is to have only its more limited choices if I throw away my perfectly functioning hardware and software bundle. 

Product one, I already paid for and use:
    Jam-Vox by Vox:
    2-channel audio interface using ASIO drivers
    Proprietary output powered monitor scales speaker modeling to studio output levels in standalone or VST effects modes.
    Vox software offering complete arrays of amp, cabinet and effects modeling
    Includes recording etc.

Product 2: Bundled with Cakewalk Guitar tracks Pro 4:
    Native Instruments Guitar Rig 3
    Array of (additional to the Vox assortment) amp, cabinet and effects modeling. Basic selections can be expanded with packages purchased from the vendor.

Continuing with my explanation, when product 2 is installed, it disables 100% of product 1, and does not work itself either. Is it possible the NI tech support people will fix all of this? I'm not holding my breath since they haven't even replied yet.

Finally, the significance of this problem got worse when I tried to use GTP4 tutorial files that will not operate without Guitar Rig installed. The documentation is not accurate for the product, perhaps it refers to versions no longer available. All of the documents I have read are either written for Sonar X1, or 'other' and that leaves out GTP4 
    chris2002rock
    Re:Guitar Tracks Pro 4 installed, now what? 2011/07/26 19:00:44 (permalink)
    I spent about an hour on the phone with a tech, and the guy was totally competent. I think that my early appraisal is accurate, that there are legacy issues leading to confusion in technical areas as well as marketing. Once I am fully familiar with the exact details, I'll draft a document describing what I see as the salient issues driving decisions about which product to choose.

Guitar Tracks Pro 4 is probably good for lots of people who do not expect to upgrade or record more than 2 tracks at a time. There might be a workaround if your system can handle running a separate recording DAW or even a separate wave recorder using ASIO drivers. Once verify this answer, I will update the thread.

The point is though, that the reasons you would choose GTP4 over X1 Essentials is that you get more VSTi (instruments like Bass, Strings, Guitar etc) and although I may not be able to use Guitar Rig 3, many users like it. If it all runs, and you won't need more, or you don't mind that you get only a modest break on X1 Studio, or you don't mind buying extras as modules, it's a tough call and I am still not really sure how it will turn out. I am going to try to learn what I can, I have a license for Sonar X1 LE, which will give me a chance to learn its interface, and the features of X1 Studio seem fantastic for me. I do want to document the frustrations along the way so that people know what to expect, but I also might find useful info to avoid problems in the first place.

I'll see what I can figure out in the next week, unless they offer me a refund, which I will accept gladly even if it's only a product discount. I would like to take training for it, but I just feel like spending more money to figure out if my previous money has been wasted, seems dumb.

gray36
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 372
    Re:Guitar Tracks Pro 4 installed, now what? 2011/07/28 01:38:52 (permalink)
    Looks like nobody else would bite, but I will. I barely had any computer knowledge at all, let alone programming, but I had no problems what so ever, granted its been close to 2 yrs ago when I installed GTP4.  Perhaps Windows 7 made this easier for me, but no problems w/ Guitar Rig 3, or anything, hooked up Akai MPK25, as long as I am using ASIO, no problems, on a Wal-Mart Duo Core Pavilion. I also have a nice interface, w/ only 2 ins, but that was my choice, you seem to be saying that you could not record more than 2 tracks, and the simplicity, I'm just confused, honestly. I wish it would have worked out better for you, I moved on to Sonar 8.5 Producer, but that was for Dim. Pro, Session Drummer 3, and a anything else I would need to make a well produced, great sounding product! It's one hell of a learning curve, but I think you are missing out on something, just doesn't sound like hardly any other experience I have heard before, especially from someone,familiar w/ software etc. Good luck, I'm sticking w/ 8.5 no Xs, for me, still baffled by your experience, sure you aren't missing something, if you find it, please let us know.

HP Pavilion dv6 Intel Duo Core 2 2.20GHz T6600, Windows 7 x 64, Guitar tracks Pro 4, SonarX1dEXP,SonarX2Prod. 8.5.3, Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, JBL monitors, Alesis SR-16, Guitar Rig 4 Pro, PRS SE, Epiphone Les Paul Custom, Cort SJ-10 ,Steven Slate 3.5, Akai MPK25, Glyph GT 050Q (500GB)RP1000http://soundcloud.com/mar...ayin-around-mix1 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1