Can someone give me mixing advice on this song?

Author
samson7842
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 287
2011/07/26 14:35:21 (permalink)

Can someone give me mixing advice on this song?

Hi guys/ girls,

This is the first ever "professional" mix I've tried to do. And I suck at it. Usually, I have someone else mix my songs for me. Unfortunately, that is no longer an option (unless some good soul wants to volunteer his or her services in exchange for a Producer's credit and a percentage of the potential profit...). So, I'm trying to mix this puppy myself. Be afraid, be very afraid.

I was hoping some of you mix gurus can give my track a good listen to and offer some advice on what I'm doing wrong and how I can make it sound better. I think the verses, while clear, could use some livening up effects wise. But, everything I  try "muddies" it up. I'm under no delusions that I'll end up with a world class mix the first time out. But, I am hoping to get something good enough to release.

I must warn you, it is Dance Pop. And, yes. I've sold my soul to the Devil. So, if I'm going to hell, I may as well make it the best damn hell spawn, ruinner of real music, over produced, Auto-tuned to death, piece of shiite it can be. Right?

I'm trying to get as close as I can to the style of mixes done for Dr. Luke, Red One, etc ... Some of the artists they've worked on are Ke$ha, Brittany Spears, Lady Gaga, ... you know the rest. How they get such sparse and simple arrangements to sound so big, full and exciting is what I'm trying to learn so I can employ these techniques on my CD project (called Ear Candy in case you were wondering. Oh, you weren't? OK, never mind).

Thanks in advance. I've learned so much form these forums over the years and it's great to have this level of knowledge available to the Cakewalk Collective (Resistance is futile). I'll be in and out today so I'll respond to any questions as fast as I can.

My song, "UnFreakin' Believable"

Lateef Murdock

Gear:
Dell XPS 8700
i7-4770 3.9 GHz
24 GB Dual Channel DDR3 160MHZ 4DIMMs
Windows 10 64bit
Cakewalk (CxB)
Sonar Platinum
Studio One 4
Komplete 9 Ultimate
Maschine 2.7 MK3
Edirol PCR 500
Roland A-300 Pro 
Steinberg Virtual Guitarist 2
Virtual Guitarist Silk
Virtual Guitarist Amber
Virtual Guitarist Iron
Steinberg UR22
Waves Gold
Melodyne 4 Studio
Various other fiddly bits

10 Replies Related Threads

Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:Can someone give me mixing advice on this song? 2011/07/26 15:34:59 (permalink)
    Hey Samson, I'll give you my take for what it's worth.

First off, I gotta admit, I find it really sad that you or anyone else would feel the need to apologize for the genre of a song. Don't ever feel that way man...seriously. Anyone that refuses to hear the art in a piece of music isn't the person you want a critique from anyway. Dance pop makes money. There's no such thing as soul selling unless you create music that you absolutely hate for the sake of income. Then again, in this economy, who could blame anyone for doing what they gotta do musically over working at Burger King? If hooks were easy, everyone would be loaded...remember that. Ok, on to the tune.

In my opinion, (having worked with this style for many years) what you do to it would be subjective. The songs in this style usually have a more forceful kick with better low end that gives it impact. I'm not feeling that in this mix.

Also, I'm hearing instrumentation that is super electronic. The more electronic and fake you go, the smaller the sounds will be. When you listen to the artists you mentioned, their mixes are fuller because they are using better instrumentation. They use the digital fake stuff to layer in for sound effects as well as enhancing sounds that are more real. But you've got quite a lot of lo-fi going on here...and when you have loads of that going on, the sounds and the mix will only be so big.

I love your use of panning, effects and auto-tune. I think all that is well done. But I'm just not hearing enough instrumentation in your core of the backing to bring this to the top. I'd also experiment with a different melody within your instrumentation because to me, and I don't mean this in a harsh way, but your hook you sing doesn't match the music. It seems like a good vocal hook, but there is no real melody that makes me go "YEAH!" Not to bring this up...but that tune everyone hated but me..."Friday"....the hook is so golden, it's beyond infectious. It doesn't matter what instrumentation would have been used there...the hook sells the tune. In yours, we're in reverse. I don't feel the main hook "melody" (not the vocal line lyric itself..that's fine) is working with the backing where it should. Add in the fact that the instrumentation sounds more digital and fake sounding than it should, and this really brings the shock value down in my opinion.

I know you probably weren't interested in my opinion of the song itself....but if the almighty hook is not there in this style with all the other stuff to go with it, it matters not what the mix is doing. But for what you have as well as the instrumentation you used, as is, I'd work on some good low end to drive it if you are happy with things for the most part. But if it were me personally...I'd either change up the vocal melody to fit the music more, or I'd alter the music to fit the vocal melody and improve on the instrumentation used.

I listened to it 2 times and as I type this, I can't sing back anything that was memorable. You know you got a good hook when you can remember it after 1-2 listens. So that's the stuff I'd work on if I were you. I think you have a great idea here that could be really good with a bit of work in the right areas. And hey man....don't ever feel the need to justify your art. I'm an 80's rocker as my personal preference....or pop rock type artist...but I write a bit of everything. I get bashed all the time from people for it...especially the 80's type stuff. But it is who and what I am...and I'm proud of what I do as well as what I've accomplished. It's paid my bills well for years and has opened up many new doors for me to work with other artists within other genre's of music. Stay true bro...and best of luck. :)

-Danny
    post edited by Danny Danzi - 2011/07/26 15:50:36

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Can someone give me mixing advice on this song? 2011/07/26 21:44:24 (permalink)
    So.... if you sold you soul to Satan.... if you're under 27... be very careful when you turn 27, if you're over 27... you might be OK.....  But then again he came for Willie Jones as an old man....

On a lighter note.... yeah, I'm not real familiar with this genre, but I agree with Danny, the kick and bottom end is usually slammin and this was really weak in that area.

The balance of DD's commentary was pretty spot on.

It's more about the song than the production but they both gotta be the best they can be.

In the first sentence, you said this was the "first ever professional mix"... OK so going with that... this is pretty good. Don't beat yourself up, I wish my first mixes sound half as good as yours, but this is an acquired skill and an art that takes time to develop. So.... stick with it.... post plenty of tunes in the songs forum and learn from the advice.

My first thought when I heard the autotune was "oh crap... here we go again" but I decided to listen to the mix.... just be aware many people here are diehard anti-autotune folks..... so if you use it, just understand that aspect. I understand that in several genre of music, AT is pretty much standard fare just like in country... my favorite genre to write, steel & fiddle are standard fare.

Keep on working on mixing, because the only way to get better is to mix lots of songs and learn something from each one.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/07/26 21:52:13

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    samson7842
    Re:Can someone give me mixing advice on this song? 2011/07/26 23:43:58 (permalink)
    @Danny,

No problem. I'm always open to constructive criticism. I'm not one of those people who thinks just because I created it, it's good. Like anyone else, somethings I do are hot, others not so much. This may be the case.

Although, I will disagree with you on the instruments. It's part of the problem  I have with my mixes. I agree it sounds"small". But, it only seems to be that way when I try to mix. When other people have mixed my songs, they come out nice and fat. Here's another song I did that was mixed by someone else and mastered professionally. Not as good as if I'd have it mixed by a pro, but the guys who mixed this one are certainly better than me. Dance, Dance!

I'm using mostly the same types of sounds and the same synths. Zeta, Korg Legacy Cell, Maschine, Rapture, etc ... The only differing factor is who's mixing. In this case me. It's got to be something I'm doing wrong. My buddy use to come and mix on my set up. Sounded nice and fat. I was told when I mix to keep my gain staging low. About -12. Maybe that's my problem?

Also, I was just being sarcastic about the whole soul selling thing. I put that in there because I know the disdain for the trappings of Dance-Pop that permeates these forums. Sometimes I like poking a stick in the bees nest.

That's not me singing. The guy I used didn't need Autotune. But, I like that sound right now. So, I use it. Auto tune is a tool. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't apologize for anything I create (unless I cuss and some old women gets her panties in bunch. Gots' to respect my elders). I like Dance Pop. I think there are some pretty cool things going on with that genre right now. When I get tired of it, I'll make other stuff. Simple as that. But, to put a fine point on things, I'm very proud of the music I make.

BTW - Any 80' kid who appreciates "Black Friday" as much as I did automatically gets my respect. I thought it was cute, gimmicky and fun. Everything a Pop song by a 13 year old should be. What should she have sung, "**** You." I don't understand people sometimes. ...lol

@Guitarhacker,

Thanks I appreciate it and I will keep mixing. I learned a lot doing this one. Hopefully, I'll be starting another next week. I'll post it when I'm done.

Lateef Murdock

Gear:
    Dell XPS 8700
    i7-4770 3.9 GHz
    Windows 10 64bit
    Cakewalk (CxB)
    Sonar Platinum
    Studio One 4
    Komplete 9 Ultimate
    Maschine 2.7 MK3
    Edirol PCR 500
    Roland A-300 Pro 
    Virtual Guitarist Silk
    Virtual Guitarist Amber
    Virtual Guitarist Iron
    Steinberg UR22
    Waves Gold
    Melodyne 4 Studio
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Can someone give me mixing advice on this song? 2011/07/27 06:59:41 (permalink)

I don't have any thing useful to suggest... but I think you did a great job with this song.

It seems finished to me.

My one comment is that it seems very light on the bass... but I'm am always personally looking for a big PA system dance hall bass sound and you may be tweaking this to sound big on headphones... which is a different approach.

I really liked the break with the *english* girl and her positive power message.

I hope the cash rolls in for you!!!

best regards,
    mike

Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:Can someone give me mixing advice on this song? 2011/07/27 07:59:36 (permalink)
    samson7842

@Danny,

No problem. I'm always open to constructive criticism. I'm not one of those people who thinks just because I created it, it's good. Like anyone else, somethings I do are hot, others not so much. This may be the case.

Although, I will disagree with you on the instruments. It's part of the problem  I have with my mixes. I agree it sounds"small". But, it only seems to be that way when I try to mix. When other people have mixed my songs, they come out nice and fat. Here's another song I did that was mixed by someone else and mastered professionally. Not as good as if I'd have it mixed by a pro, but the guys who mixed this one are certainly better than me. Dance, Dance!

I'm using mostly the same types of sounds and the same synths. Zeta, Korg Legacy Cell, Maschine, Rapture, etc ... The only differing factor is who's mixing. In this case me. It's got to be something I'm doing wrong. My buddy use to come and mix on my set up. Sounded nice and fat. I was told when I mix to keep my gain staging low. About -12. Maybe that's my problem?

Also, I was just being sarcastic about the whole soul selling thing. I put that in there because I know the disdain for the trappings of Dance-Pop that permeates these forums. Sometimes I like poking a stick in the bees nest.

That's not me singing. The guy I used didn't need Autotune. But, I like that sound right now. So, I use it. Auto tune is a tool. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't apologize for anything I create (unless I cuss and some old women gets her panties in bunch. Gots' to respect my elders). I like Dance Pop. I think there are some pretty cool things going on with that genre right now. When I get tired of it, I'll make other stuff. Simple as that. But, to put a fine point on things, I'm very proud of the music I make.

BTW - Any 80' kid who appreciates "Black Friday" as much as I did automatically gets my respect. I thought it was cute, gimmicky and fun. Everything a Pop song by a 13 year old should be. What should she have sung, "**** You." I don't understand people sometimes. ...lol

@Guitarhacker,

Thanks I appreciate it and I will keep mixing. I learned a lot doing this one. Hopefully, I'll be starting another next week. I'll post it when I'm done.

Well, I won't argue with you as that is not my intent. However, listening to Dance Dance there's a huge difference in the orchestration and sounds compared to the song I critiqued. The sounds in Dance are way more "stereo" and bigger sounding with more life. The sounds in "Unfreakin" are small, mono and a completely different animal. Dance is also a bit light in the low end...but has a stronger core of instrumentation backing it. So though you may disagree, to me it's blatantly obvious on the differences when I compare the tunes. It doesn't seem like a mix issue at all. You have a core in your new tune here that is basing its impact on the synthetic instruments...which to me, sounds like an instrumentation choice issue. In Dance, though there are synthetic nuances, the song isn't relying on them to be the core of the impact. The synthetic sounds are enhancing the more realistic sounds. I don't hear enough "realistic" stuff in your new song and it's more monophonic.

You can't turn mono instruments into stereo other that running HAAS effects or other imaging type effects without picking up weird artifacts or phased imaging. I don't hear any of that in Dance which tells me the instrumentation is different and the choices made were more stereoesque so to speak. Not to mention, I'm hearing lots of lo-fi in the new tune and lo-fi for enhancement on Dance. Anyway, sorry if I've offended you at all...just telling it like I hear it. By the way, just so you know, I'm not just a rocker that is clueless to this genre. :) I mix, write and produce music of all styles and would not comment if I was unsure of a style. I've worked with, and for, quite a few artitsts you'd know of in this genre as well as wrote and sold a few songs as "works for hire" as well. :) Best of luck with the song and whatever decisions you make.

-Danny

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Can someone give me mixing advice on this song? 2011/07/27 08:13:14 (permalink)

Dance Dance made my laptop seems exciting...

And it left me thinking that it would sound torn and rippy on a big house P.A.

It seems rather exaggerated to my ear.

best regards,
    mike

samson7842
    Re:Can someone give me mixing advice on this song? 2011/07/28 00:29:46 (permalink)
    Danny Danzi

samson7842

@Danny,

@Guitarhacker,

Well, I won't argue with you as that is not my intent. However, listening to Dance Dance there's a huge difference in the orchestration and sounds compared to the song I critiqued. The sounds in Dance are way more "stereo" and bigger sounding with more life. The sounds in "Unfreakin" are small, mono and a completely different animal. Dance is also a bit light in the low end...but has a stronger core of instrumentation backing it. So though you may disagree, to me it's blatantly obvious on the differences when I compare the tunes. It doesn't seem like a mix issue at all. You have a core in your new tune here that is basing its impact on the synthetic instruments...which to me, sounds like an instrumentation choice issue. In Dance, though there are synthetic nuances, the song isn't relying on them to be the core of the impact. The synthetic sounds are enhancing the more realistic sounds. I don't hear enough "realistic" stuff in your new song and it's more monophonic.

You can't turn mono instruments into stereo other that running HAAS effects or other imaging type effects without picking up weird artifacts or phased imaging. I don't hear any of that in Dance which tells me the instrumentation is different and the choices made were more stereoesque so to speak. Not to mention, I'm hearing lots of lo-fi in the new tune and lo-fi for enhancement on Dance. Anyway, sorry if I've offended you at all...just telling it like I hear it. By the way, just so you know, I'm not just a rocker that is clueless to this genre. :) I mix, write and produce music of all styles and would not comment if I was unsure of a style. I've worked with, and for, quite a few artitsts you'd know of in this genre as well as wrote and sold a few songs as "works for hire" as well. :) Best of luck with the song and whatever decisions you make.

-Danny

@Danny

I'm not offended at all and I believe you know what you're talking about. I've read some of your other post and you give some good advice. I put my song up to get opinions in the hope that I would learn how to make it better. I'm not hear to get my ego stroked. I appreciate honest opinions. A person doesn't get good by hearing only what they want to hear.

I think you may have struck on something. While I am using the same synths (Zeta was my go to synth) on both songs. However, on UFB I made all of the synths mono. I was told that's what I should do. Make them mono and use delays to flesh them out. Was that wrong? Am I getting bad advice?

Lateef

Lateef Murdock

Gear:
    Dell XPS 8700
    i7-4770 3.9 GHz
    Windows 10 64bit
    Cakewalk (CxB)
    Sonar Platinum
    Studio One 4
    Komplete 9 Ultimate
    Maschine 2.7 MK3
    Edirol PCR 500
    Roland A-300 Pro 
    Virtual Guitarist Silk
    Virtual Guitarist Amber
    Virtual Guitarist Iron
    Steinberg UR22
    Waves Gold
    Melodyne 4 Studio
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Can someone give me mixing advice on this song? 2011/07/28 05:09:31 (permalink)
    I was told that's what I should do. Make them mono and use delays to flesh them out. Was that wrong? Am I getting bad advice?

I think you've nailed the problem right there.

It doesn't mean that every synth track needs to spread 100% of way across the stereo stage - a judicious bit of panning in conjunction with the Channel Tools plug can work wonders.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Can someone give me mixing advice on this song? 2011/07/28 08:43:31 (permalink)
    I listened again today... and it seems like it's not so much about whether an instrument or effect is mono or stereo but rather how the resulted tracks are panned in the mix.

Dance Dance has very obvious panning... some of hard and some of it actively moving across.

Some of the delay effects are also emphasized as stereo.

It is almost as if the big pans are part of the arrangement.

UFB just doesn't have any of that.

Plus, It seems, to me, that as Danny says the instrumentation is different (although I think there are more similarities than differences) and because of that I think UFB really needs the bass line to be louder as it works in the arrangement differently than the bass does in Dance Dance. The Bass in UFB is vital to help define the rhythm while Dance Dance has a clear low note percussion pulse.

In general UFB isn't as wide a freqeuncy spectrum either. UFB doesn't have the low growl that Dance Dance has. Dance Dance has the hyped upper midrange... and that really helps support the stereo imaging too. There's a lot more energy up in the upper midrange in Dance Dance.

Anyways, I dislike telling people how to make their art... I'd rather just enjoy their art... but that's the stuff I'd think about while mixing UFB to play side by side with Dance Dance.

all the best,
    mike

mike

samson7842
    Re:Can someone give me mixing advice on this song? 2011/07/28 21:29:11 (permalink)
    @Danny, Guitarhacker, Bristol and Mike,

I'm going to make another pass at the mix in a couple of days using some of the advice I was given here. I'll re-post again when I get it done.

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to give me your feedback.

Lateef

Lateef Murdock

Gear:
    Dell XPS 8700
    i7-4770 3.9 GHz
    Windows 10 64bit
    Cakewalk (CxB)
    Sonar Platinum
    Studio One 4
    Komplete 9 Ultimate
    Maschine 2.7 MK3