Bass effects

Author
LNovik
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 106
2011/07/30 15:32:12 (permalink)

Bass effects

When I play back the song I've been working one--which is now burned on a CD, I notice the bass is very muddy and nondistinct. At least, that's the way I hear it. When I  listen to the original song---Long Way Home, by  Supertramp--the bass notes are much more distinct. I would think this is because the bass notes in the original cover less of a frequency spectrum, and are thus not "all over the place." I'm really just guessing at all of this. When I tried to go the  mastering template, I wasn't impressed with the choices, though I certainly did not have a good idea how to change the presets.
Any suggestions? I still want my bass to be pretty deep, just not mushy.
Incidentally, I have Sonar Producer 8.5.

Thanks

LNovik

27 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Bass effects 2011/07/30 18:41:28 (permalink)
    is your room treated with bass traps?  do you know where your peaks in your room response are?  what kind of monitors are you using?

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Bass effects 2011/07/30 18:48:25 (permalink)
    Bass definition doesn't come from the deep frequencies, but rather from the third and fifth harmonics. Sometimes you need to add a little distortion to get enough happening up there. Sometimes you can get away with an EQ boost. Try a boost around 800-1000 Hz.

The mud range, around 200-400Hz, is called that because so many instruments contribute to that range that they get all jumbled up and muddy. The key to getting a nice full bass is to make sure it has that range mostly to itself. That means cutting everything else, sometimes drastically, especially acoustic guitars and pianos.

Another thing that affects bass definition is compression. An aggressively limited song will have a wimpy bottom. As an experiment, try backing off (raising the threshold of) your master limiter and turning up the listening level to compensate. If your song was badly overcompressed, there will be a noticeable improvement with transients, especially bass guitar, bass drum and snare - what's commonly referred to as "punch".

Edit: oh, and a big +1 to Beagle's suggestion. Room resonances can make it sound like the bass guitar is only playing one droning note. If you have a small, untreated room, you'll need to use other tools to gauge overall EQ: good headphones and spectral displays.
    post edited by bitflipper - 2011/07/30 18:51:44

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    LNovik
    Re:Bass effects 2011/07/30 19:14:38 (permalink)
    Great feedack.
    I do have a  significant amount of  piano on the song. I will try to do as you suggested. However, any suggestions as to what Producer included effect you would suggest to accomplish this task? Also, should I cut the piano above 200, or 400, or  just about 300?

As to the other question, I am not using any speakers at all. My setup is in the basement, and I would not dare record anything out loud--not that I'm sure this is better than what I AM doing. I simply record right to an audio track, or else record something to MIDI, and then record from the MIDI track to audio. The only sound is in my headphones.
    When the occasional person comes over, such as  Prince or Paul, I then turn my Yahama speakers on.

Hope that's clear--except for the last sentence.
    Thanks again.
    LNovik
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Bass effects 2011/07/30 20:22:23 (permalink)
    Piano can be hard, since it has such a great range, esp. playing two-handed.  Pan Balance can help a little.  But the first thing is to listen to the bass by itself and make sure it is doing what you want it to.  If you haven't captured the sound or performance it is back to square one - and that includes arrangement.  Make sure the piano (and everything else) aren't stepping on the bass, and visa versa.

What effects in Producer - well, I like the ProChannel if you have X1.  But sonitus will work fine, or just about any EQ since you are cutting.  As for the range ....  As I recall the song the piano is almost honky-tonk with mostly high notes.  So yea, I'd start off just filtering the low end and move a low shelf higher until 1. the piano sounds bad and 2. the bass sounds clear.  Then back off.  I mean, it is a judgement call and depends upon how you hear the song.  I've cut the piano severely before and it has worked,  but I wouldn't use that as a standard operating procedure.

I dont' get the speaker talk - how do you hear your work?  On headphones only?  That is a problem right there.  And does it mean you plug in direct to your board/interface for everything?  That too, can be a problem, since there is never any "air" around the sounds, although I imagine the vocals are done with a mic, unless you've had a DI implant (... hey, there's good idea for many singers ...).

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Bass effects 2011/07/30 21:28:20 (permalink)
    I like to start with a good sounding bass sample. From there the rest is easy.

I use very, very little in the way of FX on my basses.  Maybe a bit of compression (multi-band) and some EQ to dial in the specific sound I like.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Beagle
    Re:Bass effects 2011/07/30 22:06:09 (permalink)
    LNovik

Great feedack.
    I do have a  significant amount of  piano on the song. I will try to do as you suggested. However, any suggestions as to what Producer included effect you would suggest to accomplish this task? Also, should I cut the piano above 200, or 400, or  just about 300?

As to the other question, I am not using any speakers at all. My setup is in the basement, and I would not dare record anything out loud--not that I'm sure this is better than what I AM doing. I simply record right to an audio track, or else record something to MIDI, and then record from the MIDI track to audio. The only sound is in my headphones.
    When the occasional person comes over, such as  Prince or Paul, I then turn my Yahama speakers on.

Hope that's clear--except for the last sentence.
    Thanks again.
    LNovik

I  don't understand your comment about not using speakers.  How do you hear any playback without speakers when you're mixing?

LNovik
    Re:Bass effects 2011/07/31 07:23:39 (permalink)
    I have Sonar 8.5, so don't have  ProChannel. I DID look at the Sonitus equalizer. I had seen someone on this site say to mainly keep the Bass range from 75-120. He said, "Watch for the 300 hz range...this is what muds up a bass." However, the Sonitus tool did not seem to allow me to mix to these specific numbers. They had their own cutoffs,  and they were not that close to the 75 and 120 ranges. However, I'll go back and look at this equalizer again.
    And yes, I confess--it's headphones for everything. I do use the microphone for vocals and even for tambourine, since I thought the live tambourine sounded better. I've always thought  speakers aren't as good as headphones, so why distort the sound before saving it to disk? I hear what you are saying about the "air" in the sound, but I would have "basement air" in my project, and I don't think that would be pretty.

I'll try out these suggestions soon. I like the dialing up of the piano, and then coming back down when it sounds too tinny.
    Perhaps I DO need to find another bass sound--one that wouldn't be as dense. I'll consider that.
    And yes, Beagle, I CAN hear all my tracks perfectly when I record audio. And thankfully, only the part I am playing ends up on that new audio track. I think it has something to do with my mixer (a Mackie). Something like the mix doesn't go to the part that's being recorded, but just to the output.
    Thanks again for the feedback.
    LNovik
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Bass effects 2011/07/31 08:06:53 (permalink)
    When I "play a bass track" on a tune, I use pretty much the same sample.... the Cakewalk sound center sample called Ricko in synth bass category. It sounds very much like a Rickenbacher bass to me.

It needs very little processing and has a clean but deep sound with that wirey sound on the top end.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Beagle
    Re:Bass effects 2011/07/31 08:53:29 (permalink)
    And yes, Beagle, I CAN hear all my tracks perfectly when I record audio. And thankfully, only the part I am playing ends up on that new audio track. I think it has something to do with my mixer (a Mackie). Something like the mix doesn't go to the part that's being recorded, but just to the output.
    Thanks again for the feedback.

LNovik - but what are you hearing your tracks from when you are mixing?  are you using headphones plugged into the mixer?  do you have speakers connected to the mixer?  you have to have speakers or headphones of some kind if you can hear your project while you're mixing.  what speakers or headphones are you using for mixing?

AT
    Re:Bass effects 2011/07/31 10:41:12 (permalink)
    Reece,

he said at the end of the pp that he was listening on headphones., only turning on his speakers when Prince or Paul (maybe ringo, too!) come over.

Lnovik,

the Sonitus can adjust to any frequency, having complete parametric controls - frequency, depth/gain and width of slope.  And really, it is not about hitting 75 hz or 300 hz exactly, but the interaction of the Frequency point and gain with the slope of the EQ and using your ears.  The specific frequencies are just starting points for problem areas.

@

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    LNovik
    Re:Bass effects 2011/07/31 19:55:51 (permalink)
    Thanks for clearing that up. If anyone wants to know how I am able to hear my mix in my headphones while I"m recording a new audio track, let me know and I'll try to tell you what I'm  doing (once I figure it out.)

As for the post: "the Cakewalk sound center sample called Ricko in synth bass category:" is this "sound center" found in the new Sonar X? I thought there were just virtual synths in Sonar (8.5 Producer). Within each synth, I can search for all of thee specific sounds that a particular (virtual) synth can play. Where would I find this Ricko?

Thanks again.
    LNovik
    Beagle
    Re:Bass effects 2011/07/31 20:05:18 (permalink)
    Sorry - I did miss that, thanks for clearing it up, AT.

LNovik - listening on headphones can cause problems with your mix, depending on the headphones they might be hyped in the mids or low mids and that would easily cause the problem you're having.  you can learn to adjust for your mixing environment by making a mix, taking it to another medium (car, boombox, home stereo, etc), playing it on those and making notes, coming back and making adjustments, then doing it over and over until you get the mix to where it sounds right on those systems, not necessarily in the headphones.

AT
    Re:Bass effects 2011/07/31 23:28:19 (permalink)
    Yea, LNOvik, the sound center is a new synth in X1 - it has a lot of the "greatest hits"  from the other Cake synths.  I'm not sure how it really works, but it has a searchable browser w/ types of sounds and includes DimPro and Rapture.  I don't know where the Ricko synth comes from, but you should be able to find something good in 8.5 producer.

@

batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Bass effects 2011/08/01 10:49:30 (permalink)
    i use WAVES MAXXBASS on my bass bus.

that, in addition to a Limiter (L2) and that seems to do the trick.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

bitflipper
    Re:Bass effects 2011/08/01 11:52:48 (permalink)
    I do a lot of my work on headphones, mostly for convenience - to avoid inconveniencing nearby sleepers. I may get 95% of the way through a project before ever having heard it on speakers.

And 100% of the time, that first audition on speakers sounds like utter garbage! Even if I'd been pretty happy with the sound in the headphones. Oddly, the converse is never true: if the speakers are happy with it, it will always sound good in the headphones.

Bottom line is there's no substitute for speakers when it comes to judging EQ, panning, dynamics and balance. Even cheap speakers in an acoustically raw room will add some value.

Back to the EQ question...piano is a major offender when it comes to hogging the spectrum. No other instrument has anywhere near the same breadth of frequency content as a piano. So if you've got a piano in there, even if it's a featured instrument, it's a prime candidate for spectral pruning.

I'd start with a band pass filter on the piano, centered around 200Hz, and a 6 to 12db boost. (Yes, boost.) This will initially sound like mud soup, but the idea is to exaggerate the interference for diagnostic purposes. Slowly raise the frequency until the piano and bass stop fighting. Then turn the filter into a low shelf and change the boost to a cut. Start raising the gain until the mud comes back, then take it back down.

I will often automate a band on a parametric equalizer so I can bring up the full tone of the piano for any solo parts, like an intro, and then thin it out for the rest. Bear in mind that an aggressively high-passed piano will sound like a cheap toy when heard in solo. That's OK, because what counts is what it sounds like in the mix.

My Stuff
    LNovik
    Re:Bass effects 2011/08/02 20:10:04 (permalink)
    Thanks, Beagle, for your last note. However, even if I listen to it in my car, for instance, it will then sound different from the speakers from my other (non-music) computer. And even my  car will sound different from another person's car--such as one in which someone has the bass cranked up.  However, I do get your point. I guess that's what I'm trying to do now. I do think my Sony headphones are pretty good, though I realize "good" doesn't always mean accurate.

Thanks, AT, for that info on Sonar X. I actually have a Motif and a Triton, so I would think I could find something good on what I have. I thought I had done just that; it just sounds kind of muddy in the final mix, as Ive said.

Bitflipper--sort of hard to say that with a straight face--I have read and reread your note several times. I understand and agree with everything, except (I don't understand) the 2nd to last paragraph. I understand the concept you are offering, but I just don't understand how to do it. I can look this up on my own, but I just don't get how to "start with a band pass filter." And then, how would I raise the frequency. I just haven't worked enough (at all) with EQ type of effects. AT said Sonitus might be a good place to start, so hopefully, I'll see if I can do this type of thing there. Do you have any other suggestions about where to start doing the types of things you are suggesting? Music  school? Of course, I'm asking about what software effects program you suggest.
    Thanks again.
    LNovik
    AT
    Re:Bass effects 2011/08/02 21:06:14 (permalink)
    You can use a "notch" filter in Sonitus.  Up the gain in one EQ and set the O (width of the eq range) to a narrow one.  You now have a notch filter.  Now sweep the frequency up and down the sound in question to identify problem frequencies.  Once you have your mud, try cutting instead of boosting and/or widening the Q.  You'll also know the general range of mud on the other tracks, and can use cutting to clean up one or more tracks.  Also note you are likely to resonances at the octaves of your problems.  If 220 hz is a problem area, you will likely have anohter at 440 Hz, 880 etc.

@

LNovik
    Re:Bass effects 2011/08/02 21:28:16 (permalink)
    I just came back to the computer to say that at least I was able to call up the Sonitus: fx equalizer. I think they also have a multiband equlizer, but that looked too complicated. Perhaps that is what I now see AT is talking about. At any rate, in the regular equalizer, I was able to turn down the lower end of the piano, and boost the upper end somewhat. I do believe that took a lot of muddiness or extra bass sound out of the mix. I will have to listen to it in the AM in my car (I burned it to disc.)
    As I said, I guess the "notch" filter AT is referring to is the multiband option in SOnitus. I will look at that soon.
    Thanks.
    LNovik
    banmebozos
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Bass effects 2011/08/02 23:18:43 (permalink)
    I heavily process my bass? And vox, and other tracks. And find that I crash SONAR :-( I'm thinking about "busing it out..." 

Processing my tracks in to buses? And then mastering the buses? 

Getting that "fat sound" requires many tracks... Many buses.

And many plugs (non cake plugs...)

It's a process? And one that those with ham fists? seem incapable of understanding.
    post edited by banmebozos - 2011/08/02 23:21:04
    bitflipper
    Re:Bass effects 2011/08/03 00:01:52 (permalink)
    except (I don't understand) the 2nd to last paragraph.

My apologies, LNovik. Any advice is useless if you don't understand it!

So forget that advice...simply grazzle your floobars until the flapbats come up to unity. And then you're done!

My Stuff
    bitflipper
    Re:Bass effects 2011/08/03 00:24:22 (permalink)
    Just kidding, LNovik. I'll try and make some pictures tomorrow...

My Stuff
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Bass effects 2011/08/03 00:26:40 (permalink)
    Per Bit (Bit never ceases to amaze me, my utmost thanks to his helping us clear the fog).

Bass rules my mixes and I don't rest til they do!

A real bass player (virtuoso) is ideal for me; even if he plays the synth.
    Bass makes/breaks songs more than anything, and bass loops are extremely difficult for me to find (ideas anyone?).  Beatscape is scanty, too.

Oft I've been forced to mouse in bass notes, due to uninspiring computer latency with keyboards.  (I forget to change ASIO latency settings during recording)

Trilion/Trilogy has gotten 80% close to covering the harmonics correctly, without adding compression nor effects.

The few bass-lines I've recorded/printed successfully took a lot of painstaking work (and I doubt their harmonics/excitation/saturation sound pro). 

In sum: 
    1) a good bass-player knows performance + effects to give you.
    2) a good bass-player is a pearl of great price!  (aka, Danzi, RLD, Yoyo)
    3) a good bass-player is not me

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Beagle
    Re:Bass effects 2011/08/03 09:18:33 (permalink)
    LNovik

Thanks, Beagle, for your last note. However, even if I listen to it in my car, for instance, it will then sound different from the speakers from my other (non-music) computer. And even my  car will sound different from another person's car--such as one in which someone has the bass cranked up.  However, I do get your point. I guess that's what I'm trying to do now. I do think my Sony headphones are pretty good, though I realize "good" doesn't always mean accurate. 

LNovik
    I completely understand - and you won't get the song to sound the same on all mediums because they are very different.  my point is simply to take your project to different mediums and make notes to change things and get a balance between them all so that you're sounding the most consistent between them. 

take a commercial CD of a song similar to your project and play it in your car, in your living room, on a boom box, etc.  make notes on IT and how different it sounds.  now take your project to those same mediums and make notes to get your sound closest to the commercial CD. 

bitflipper
    Re:Bass effects 2011/08/03 10:26:45 (permalink)
    Beagle's on the right track, as usual. LNovik, your problem is classic and pervasive; everyone who mixes in a small room experiences this phenomenon.

The short version: your room is lying to you.

The long version involves delving into acoustical resonances, and I could give you the long version but it's probably not what you want at this stage. So we'll go with the short version for now and leave it at that: your room is affecting how you hear low frequencies, making EQ judgements unreliable.

You will need to resort to visual aids. If you don't already have it, get a copy of the free spectrum display plugin, SPAN, from Voxengo. This will let you visualize the frequency content of each track objectively.

An even better tool is GlissEQ, from the same company. This will let you overlay spectra from multiple tracks on one display, making it very easy to visualize and mitigate spectral contention problems.

My Stuff
    Beagle
    Re:Bass effects 2011/08/03 12:29:38 (permalink)
    a big +1 to what bit says!  SPAN has been in my toolbox from early on because it helps SO much with the visual cues that I don't get from audible only.  One thing I love about SPAN is that you can hold down the CONTROL key while "sweeping" the frequencies with your mouse on the GUI of SPAN.  what that does is cause SPAN to become a temporary filter of what you see on the plot.  you can use that to scan the frequencies to help find "fundamental" frequencies of a given instrument or bus allowing you to carve EQ notches in other tracks for allowing punch from bass or kick, or whatever instrument you're working with!  it's an invaluable tool and I find it hard to believe it's FREE!

GlissEQ is a really good freebie as well.  the multiple track on one display is also a big help in figuring out where you need to cut some tracks and where you need to boost others.

LNovik
    Re:Bass effects 2011/08/03 20:28:14 (permalink)
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll download SPAN soon, and try that one out.
    I listened to my mix in my car this AM and PM. It definitely sounded better. I simply turned down the lower frequencies in my piano tracks. As Bit said, it didn't sound as good when solo'ed, but the mix sounded much better. The mud is gone, or at least much improved. I feel like I've just used a new and better detergent!
    Thanks again. I'll keep exploring all of these options.
    LNovik

batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Bass effects 2011/08/04 10:44:47 (permalink)
    what you are describing is classic MASKING.

study all about masking, and learn what frequencies are where (or use a visual tool like SPAN)

learn the differences between high/low shelves, and PEAK, and Q

learn how overlapping shelves and Peak EQ can work together (boosting one while cutting another, might seem counterintuitive..... but it isn't, once you understand what is happening)

learn about LINEAR PHASE

and learn about polarity, and don't be afraid to use it.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1