Help getting the same vocal effects

Author
sharpdion23
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 784
2011/08/01 01:47:52 (permalink)

Help getting the same vocal effects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xknW3A5LhZ0 

I want the same kind of effect. Is this Reverb, delay or echo?

Here is another one that is similar to what I need around 1 minute 20 seconds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwCykGDEp7M

Thanks
Also I want to know if there is a way to add say, echo only at the end of vocal phrases.
post edited by sharpdion23 - 2011/08/01 02:21:31

Win7 pro 64bit*SonarX1 PE 64 bit* AMD Athlon(tm)64 X2 Dual Processor 6000+ 3.00 Ghz* 4GB Ram* 232GB HD* Cakewalk MA-15D* SPS-66 FireWire

Owner of Sonar 6 Studio* Sonar 7 PE * Sonar 8.0 PE * Sonar 8.5.3 PE * Sonar X1 PE *

Link to upload Screens: http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1592276

A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

14 Replies Related Threads

Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:Help getting the same vocal effects 2011/08/01 02:43:01 (permalink)
    I'll leave the comments on what that sound is and how to achieve it to the more knowledgable forum members.

There are several ways to add effects to just the end, or any part, of a phrase. One way is to insert the effect in the track, or clip, FX bin. Then click the W (WRITE) to enable Automation Write. Once this is enabled any change you make to writable parameters while recording/playback will be recorded. Using this method you can start with the Mix, or whatever, parameter all the way down and just turn it up where you want the effect. Then turn it back down where you don't want it.

Right click the W to see which parameters are writable and enable/disable them. Don't forget to disable Automation Write when you aren't recording control movements.

Another method is to put the effect in its own bus and then create a send to that bus in the audio track. Then automate the send control by right clicking it and selecting Automation Write Enable. Turn it up while playing/recording to send signal to the effect, turn it down when you don't want audio sent to the effect. Once you get the hang of it both of these methods can be very useful.
    EasTexGuy
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 160
    Re:Help getting the same vocal effects 2011/08/01 07:02:49 (permalink)
    IMHO what you have there is a combination of delay/verb. That would be the most common process I believe. I love the Pantheon(LE) verb, a crippled version of the real mccoy but great nonetheless. I personally use (all-n-one) Izotope Nectar for the vocal tracks, but the delay plugin shipped with Sonar will work with patience and testing. Chappel nicely describes the automation which gives you nearly unlimited control of the effects. I suggest you play with the settings and get a feel for what each control does. Start with short delay times and feed it in small amounts into the mix. Below is a picture or Nectar's delay controls.

My Rig: Sonar X1 Studio - Vista 32 on AMD Quad Core @ 3ghz w/4 gig ram - Lexicon Lambda - Assorted Nuts, Bolts & Plugins - More Talent on order as well.
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Help getting the same vocal effects 2011/08/01 08:40:16 (permalink)
    The first song has a vocal which is heavily compressed which it gives it the fat upper mid range prescence but in a way where the mid range doesn't seem to edgy or attention getting. I think that song has a very unique sounding reverb with no delay. I think. The reverb is tailored to the song... it might be a Bricasti doing what it does best... or it could be a nice low cost convolution reverb.

The Christina A song has both delay and reverb on the vocals. And the reverb may or may not have been selected with as much care as the first example. This song is just WET.

The first song, the reverb stayed out of the way and set the scene. In the second example the reverb is almost overwhelming... the mix relies on the power and presence of Christina's voice to keep the "effect" in check and seem appropriate.

I think you should start getting familiar with the choices you have at your set up... selecting just the right reverb is a practice that probably can't be mastered. You just have to try and use all your experience and hope you stumble on a reverb effect that really adds to your song at hand. IT doesn't get much easier... although you may learn to recognize what you don't like more quickly and that will give you more time to ponder the candidates that do seem to help the mix.

Good luck!!!

best regards,
    mike

post edited by mike_mccue - 2011/08/01 08:43:13

sharpdion23
    Re:Help getting the same vocal effects 2011/08/01 13:34:33 (permalink)
    Chappel

I'll leave the comments on what that sound is and how to achieve it to the more knowledgable forum members.

There are several ways to add effects to just the end, or any part, of a phrase. One way is to insert the effect in the track, or clip, FX bin. Then click the W (WRITE) to enable Automation Write. Once this is enabled any change you make to writable parameters while recording/playback will be recorded. Using this method you can start with the Mix, or whatever, parameter all the way down and just turn it up where you want the effect. Then turn it back down where you don't want it.

Right click the W to see which parameters are writable and enable/disable them. Don't forget to disable Automation Write when you aren't recording control movements.

Another method is to put the effect in its own bus and then create a send to that bus in the audio track. Then automate the send control by right clicking it and selecting Automation Write Enable. Turn it up while playing/recording to send signal to the effect, turn it down when you don't want audio sent to the effect. Once you get the hang of it both of these methods can be very useful.

Thanks for the replies.

I currently don't have the hardware to freely and easily control the automation. Is there another way to do this using keyboard and mouse other than to drag the fader while playing back the project? I saw some videos of people using knobs or faders to record the automation on the clip but I don't have one right now.

Win7 pro 64bit*SonarX1 PE 64 bit* AMD Athlon(tm)64 X2 Dual Processor 6000+ 3.00 Ghz* 4GB Ram* 232GB HD* Cakewalk MA-15D* SPS-66 FireWire

Owner of Sonar 6 Studio* Sonar 7 PE * Sonar 8.0 PE * Sonar 8.5.3 PE * Sonar X1 PE *

Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re:Help getting the same vocal effects 2011/08/01 13:54:43 (permalink)
      Not that I know of.If you have no hardware the only option is a mouse.There may be hot keys but this would seem even more cumbersome than using the mouse.
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Help getting the same vocal effects 2011/08/01 14:06:18 (permalink)
    -/+?

sharpdion23
    Re:Help getting the same vocal effects 2011/08/01 14:30:57 (permalink)
    Is there a site where it tells you the meaning of the different audio terminology? e.g what is crossfeed, feedback diffusion etc.

Chappel
    Re:Help getting the same vocal effects 2011/08/01 14:49:11 (permalink)
    sharpdion23

Thanks for the replies.

I currently don't have the hardware to freely and easily control the automation. Is there another way to do this using keyboard and mouse other than to drag the fader while playing back the project? I saw some videos of people using knobs or faders to record the automation on the clip but I don't have one right now.

Like mike_mccue posted, you can use the - and + keys on the keyboard to move the volume fader during playback/recording.

As far as the controls on the effect itself, if you click a control to make it the focus you can move it with the arrow keys on the keyboard. That's the only other method I know of.

However, once you record the automation it creates an envelope you can edit in the track. Each control you move will create a separate envelope. You can move/create nodes to obtain exactly the slope you want. For best results turn Snap to Grid off.

post edited by Chappel - 2011/08/01 15:36:55
    Chappel
    Re:Help getting the same vocal effects 2011/08/01 14:52:47 (permalink)
    sharpdion23

Is there a site where it tells you the meaning of the different audio terminology? e.g what is crossfeed, feedback diffusion etc.

With many effects you can press the F1 key on your keyboard when the effect is the focus (just click the effect window anywhere to make it the focus) to get effect specific help/information.
    sharpdion23
    Re:Help getting the same vocal effects 2011/08/01 17:28:58 (permalink)
    can somone give me a place to start e.g more decay, pre delay etc. I am trying to get a similar effect to the two I posted in my first msg but am having trouble getting it.

the plugins I have that can be useful are Izotope Alloy/Nectar, Sonitus delay/Reverb, cakewalk reverb, Vocal Strip and perfect space.
    I tried f1 on nectar and nothing would come out. Thanks anyway
    post edited by sharpdion23 - 2011/08/01 18:39:01

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Help getting the same vocal effects 2011/08/01 17:32:34 (permalink)
    The guides at www.tweakheadz.com can also offer some useful info. The site is a bit cluttered, but there's a huge amount of useful material that explains the use of different FX and such.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Chappel
    Re:Help getting the same vocal effects 2011/08/01 17:33:52 (permalink)
    sharpdion23

I tried f1 on nectar and nothing would come out. Thanks anyway

If you're looking for an explanation of terms, open a reverb that comes with Cakewalk and press F1.
    sharpdion23
    Re:Help getting the same vocal effects 2011/08/01 18:20:51 (permalink)
    mike_mccue

The first song has a vocal which is heavily compressed which it gives it the fat upper mid range prescence but in a way where the mid range doesn't seem to edgy or attention getting. I think that song has a very unique sounding reverb with no delay. I think. The reverb is tailored to the song... it might be a Bricasti doing what it does best... or it could be a nice low cost convolution reverb.

The Christina A song has both delay and reverb on the vocals. And the reverb may or may not have been selected with as much care as the first example. This song is just WET.

The first song, the reverb stayed out of the way and set the scene. In the second example the reverb is almost overwhelming... the mix relies on the power and presence of Christina's voice to keep the "effect" in check and seem appropriate.

I think you should start getting familiar with the choices you have at your set up... selecting just the right reverb is a practice that probably can't be mastered. You just have to try and use all your experience and hope you stumble on a reverb effect that really adds to your song at hand. IT doesn't get much easier... although you may learn to recognize what you don't like more quickly and that will give you more time to ponder the candidates that do seem to help the mix.

Good luck!!!

best regards,
    mike

The first song has a vocal which is heavily compressed which it gives it the fat upper mid range prescence but in a way where the mid range doesn't seem to edgy or attention getting.

Can you tell me how to do this

Thanks
    Really what I am asking is if you had to copy the effects of on of the two videos I posted, what would you do to get the same or similar effect sound? 

Also how do I get it so that it only creates a delay say once or twice.
    post edited by sharpdion23 - 2011/08/01 19:11:52

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Help getting the same vocal effects 2011/08/02 07:10:57 (permalink)

The sound is the effect of using a compressor (or two) on that persons voice.

The voice had a strong upper midrange presence and they squeezed it down with a compressor.

If you are asking... then the best answer I can think of is... go learn everything you can about using compressors.

I'd try a pair in series.

Good Luck!!!

best regards,
    mike

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1