UA-1G latency

Author
Catalin.B
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2011/08/01 05:21:22 (permalink)

UA-1G latency

Hi guys !

The guitarist from my band needs an audio interface for recording good quality DI's. He only needs just one input and one headphones out. So it seems like the UA-1G will be the best options for hes needs.
My questions are:
 -how is the latency of this device? Can he record without delay using some guitar amp sims like guitar rig or amplitube?
 -is the quality of recordings good enough to send the DI"s to a professional studio to do a good sounding reamp?
I mention we already have a Radial JDI. So if we want to use that DI we plug the di's output in the guitar/mic input from the UA-1G and set the switch to mic right ?
Thank you very much for your time

2 Replies Related Threads

Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:UA-1G latency 2011/08/01 05:48:20 (permalink)
    I use a UA-1G and get good results with it. I rarely use guitar amp soft synths but when I do i can play with minimal latency. it's low enough that I don't notice it. If you're using the Radial JDI you can also run into a guitar amp while recording the direct guitar signal and monitor that.

If gain staging is correctly observed when recording the guitar signal I don't know why it wouldn't be good enough for reamping. I record at 48 kHz/24 bit and it's a pretty clean signal. The manual says to adjust the Input Level Knob so that no red clipping light flashes but in my experience adjusting the knob so that the loudest peaks are in the -9 to -6 db range will cause the red light to blink intermittently. But hugging that fine line between clipping and not clipping is where you'll get your best signal to noise ratio.

I would suggest using the Radial JDI with the UA-1G Guitar/Mic switch set to Guitar if using the Thru-put output and Mic if using the XLR Output.
    Catalin.B
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:UA-1G latency 2011/08/01 05:59:09 (permalink)
    Hi Chappel !  The di's will be recorded in he's apartment so no amps can be used because of the noise :-) That's why he have to use amp sims for distortion.
    Thanks for the reply !
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1