Connecting studio monitors into SPDIF out on m/b soundcard?

Author
Carnifex
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2011/08/02 06:17:59 (permalink)

Connecting studio monitors into SPDIF out on m/b soundcard?

Hi there,

I just purchased sonar x1 as I'm just beginning to setup my home studio, and was contemplating buying the roland ma-15d micro monitors for playback. My aim is to record electronic based music as I have a korg r3 h/w synth as a midi controller for rapture, korg legacy softsynths etc etc and was wondering if these roland monitors will connect into the spdif out on my motherboard soundcard? I'm getting ZERO latency issues so far listening to playback of the midi and such through my sennheiser head phones, and any guitar, bass or external synth I record onto my boss br-600, then transfer those samples across via flash drive and into x1 when needed. I guess my main concern is will their be audio degradation connecting the monitors to a m/b soundcard, making the sound not come through as clear or a true representation of the source. :)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
post edited by Carnifex - 2011/08/02 06:19:32

8 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Connecting studio monitors into SPDIF out on m/b soundcard? 2011/08/02 07:07:09 (permalink)

You can go digital from your computer to the right Roland ma-15d Micro Monitor.

But then you'll have to go analog between the right and the left Roland ma-15d Micro Monitor.

Which introduces the opportunity for the right speakers to blare out pure sound while the left one will not come through as clear or true.

It's probably ok though because those speakers can't tell the difference.

There's no reason not to try the SPDIF hookup... (although the converter in the $75 speaker may not be any better than that heard with the infamous Soundblaster or Realtek onboard chips) but you'll probably find that the analog connection does not create any discernible degradation.

If you can be satisfied with analog connections your choices for good sounding speakers expands greatly.

I suggest you consider all your options rather than concern yourself with the need for a digital connection to your monitors.

best regards,
    mike

Old55
    • Total Posts : 19791
    Re:Connecting studio monitors into SPDIF out on m/b soundcard? 2011/08/02 14:37:32 (permalink)
    +1.  What sound card are you using? 

I bought a turntable with SPDIF using the same logic.  While the setup worked fine, I found that I preferred going analog to my sound card which had better converters than the turntable.  

Should auld acquaintance be forgot--hey, who the hell are you guys?  

X2(X3 pending hardware upgrade), Emulator X2, E-mu 1212M, Virtual String Machine
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Connecting studio monitors into SPDIF out on m/b soundcard? 2011/08/02 15:21:27 (permalink)
    Any differences between analog outs and s/pdif would be moot even for high-end speakers, and especially insignificant with MA-15D's. All you're really doing is moving the D/A conversion from one end of the cable to the other end.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:Connecting studio monitors into SPDIF out on m/b soundcard? 2011/08/02 20:04:18 (permalink)
    mike_mccue

You can go digital from your computer to the right Roland ma-15d Micro Monitor.

But then you'll have to go analog between the right and the left Roland ma-15d Micro Monitor.

Which introduces the opportunity for the right speakers to blare out pure sound while the left one will not come through as clear or true.

Eh?

The output from the built-in amp of the MA-15D's is the same for both speakers.  There is no analog left speaker and digital right one, it's just that the amp is in the right enclosure and the left one is passive.  They are both connected to the amp via a good ol' fashioned bit o' wire.

As Bitflipper says choosing either the TOS link or Coax SP/DIF inputs is just getting the speakers inbuilt amp to do the D/A conversion rather than the sound chip, which would be the case if using the line out from the sound card.

Either way you won't hear a difference whatever way you hook them up I use a TOSlink cable because it was cheapest and is less prone to contact crackling if somebody moves the cable. (like when the missus comes round with the vacuum)

Your choice of speakers, and the room you have them in will have a much bigger influence on what you hear than your sound card or how you connect it.

Me I have a £50 E-MU card, a pair of MA-15D's, and a room that gets regularly vacuumed and make out the best I can within the confines of my reality, but you can get into this as deep as you like.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2011/08/02 20:11:52

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Connecting studio monitors into SPDIF out on m/b soundcard? 2011/08/04 11:16:19 (permalink)
    "The output from the built-in amp of the MA-15D's is the same for both speakers.  There is no analog left speaker and digital right one, it's just that the amp is in the right enclosure and the left one is passive.  They are both connected to the amp via a good ol' fashioned bit o' wire."

You are of course, you are entirely correct.

Jonbouy
    Re:Connecting studio monitors into SPDIF out on m/b soundcard? 2011/08/18 07:27:35 (permalink)
    Actually during a free period where I didn't have any posts from Bapu to read I conducted a non-scientific blind test to see which method sounded preferable to me.  I say non-scientific because my partner was responsible for switching between outputs and of course the deep telepathic connection we have between us may well have skewed the results in some way.

I managed to pick out the difference between the monitors doing the D/A conversion and my E-MU card doing the job every time.

I preferred the E-MU doing the job, the in speaker converters sounded thinner and more 'hyped' in the higher frequencies.

I've now reverted to using an audio cable into them rather than using the optical connection or co-ax SP/DIF connection.

Just thought I'd share that as a follow up.

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Connecting studio monitors into SPDIF out on m/b soundcard? 2011/08/18 08:10:23 (permalink)
    Carnifex, 

You never mentioned the soundcard...other than to refer to it as "connecting the monitors to a m/b soundcard, " .  And ... having zero latency.... that is freaking amazing, especially for a motherboard soundcard.   OK, ( I'm not trying to be sarcastic here) , but no one that I know of is getting latency numbers below somewhere around 4 or 5 ms. Not saying you aren't but it's likely that you're not seeing the real round trip latency of the soft synths. 

SO.....

One thing I would consider in your studio setup, would be the appropriate USB or PCI based audio interface designed for music production. It will give you (depending on the model) at least two  and as many as 8 or more outputs for speakers & monitors and subs.  Plus it gives you easy access to the inputs as well as the midi input for the Korg.

As far as the monitors, you mentioned you are planning to use X1 to compose electronic music, not a problem, but I would definitively spend the money (if you can) to get  better monitors. The MA-15's have some pretty small drivers in them.  Consider going with a minimum size of 5" powered monitors. 8" is even better but 5" will do fine. I use Mackie MR-5's. I've subsequently added a 10" 100w sub to fill in the bottom. In electronic music, the low end is very important, and you need to hear it accurately..... I doubt the small driver in the MA's will do that for you. 

hope this helps you some. 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jonbouy
    Re:Connecting studio monitors into SPDIF out on m/b soundcard? 2011/08/19 20:23:52 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

Carnifex, 

You never mentioned the soundcard...other than to refer to it as "connecting the monitors to a m/b soundcard, " .  And ... having zero latency.... that is freaking amazing, especially for a motherboard soundcard.  

Herb he actually said 'zero latency issues'...

I take that to mean he has no problems with his latency, not that he has NO latency.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1