I did another song, but still no music, just vocals. How bad is it?

Author
deadself
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8
2011/08/04 21:17:14 (permalink)

I did another song, but still no music, just vocals. How bad is it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk6atca46VM 
I recorded a song, but there's no music. It's just my vocals. I was wondering if this sounds really bad or is it at least ok? Sorry about all the spaces. That's where music would be.
post edited by deadself - 2011/08/04 21:19:10

10 Replies Related Threads

Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:I did another song, but still no music, just vocals. How bad is it? 2011/08/04 21:56:06 (permalink)
    Your voice isn't bad but your pitch is all over the place. What is the end goal of your recording your voice acapella? I'm not sure I see the point in it. I think you would do much better, pitch wise, if you were singing along to music. Do you play any musical instruments? If not, my advice is to buy a guitar, learn how to play it, and write/record your own songs.
    Jamz0r
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1725
    Re:I did another song, but still no music, just vocals. How bad is it? 2011/08/05 00:19:32 (permalink)
    You were able to record this without all the hum that your last piece had, so that's something.

I agree though, you need music first. 
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:I did another song, but still no music, just vocals. How bad is it? 2011/08/05 09:52:28 (permalink)
    Yeah... ditto.

You need to hook up with some of the guys here that write the same style of music. There are several that I have seen here specifically looking for a singer. IMO you can sing, you need to connect with a musician who can finish what you have started in a 50/50 collab.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:I did another song, but still no music, just vocals. How bad is it? 2011/08/07 12:11:24 (permalink)
    Great start. Finish it...it will be great! :)
    CreatingNoise
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1666
    Re:I did another song, but still no music, just vocals. How bad is it? 2011/08/07 13:03:37 (permalink)
    I think many vocals sound iffy when you isolate them unless they were truly meant for an acapella application or the singer is just a gifted vocalist.  But to my ears they sound fine if you are planning to use them in a song with other instruments.  I would say don't focus on the vocal performance, if you like the lyrics and the overall vibe, start a song to put these into.  I don't know your skill set but at my level, I find that I don't have the skills to take a set of lyrics and craft a song to fit them but rather craft a song and then try to fit those lyrics to it and modify as needed.  But the point is, I think you have an idea that is worth developing.  I'd work in the direction of instrumentation with those lyrics in mind and see what happens.  Good luck.
    One Reason
    • Total Posts : 40
    Re:I did another song, but still no music, just vocals. How bad is it? 2011/08/07 18:08:25 (permalink)
    Throw some percussion on it
    Freddy J
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2348
    Re:I did another song, but still no music, just vocals. How bad is it? 2011/08/10 14:44:45 (permalink)
    Your voice has a very good quality to it, and I think that you demonstrate some good feeling in what you have done but I have to agree with most of the above comments.  This number sounds like a good start but it really needs instrumentation.  I don't necessary mean full instrumentation but something to accompany and complement the vocal, and fill in the empty spots. There is some dead air that really needs to be filled. 
    This is a good start and I hope we get to hear it with some instrumentation.

Freddy J
    Peter Rabbit
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1305
    Re:I did another song, but still no music, just vocals. How bad is it? 2011/08/11 15:17:48 (permalink)

I don't see where you're answering the responding posts here but......if you respond to mine please don't send one of those mailbox message things because I never check mine. In fact I rarely visit the forums anymore.

I listened to your song and I think you show promise with your vocal skills and I thought I'd play around with it a bit to see if I could come up with a nice instrumental track to add to your vocal track.

After importing your vocal track into Sonar I realized that the timing was really off. It appears that your intended timing for this song should be 4/4 timing at 132 BPM. The timing was so far off that I didn't feel like investing all the time and work it would take to correct the timing before creating an instrumentation track for you. I started playing with audio snap to try to correct it but quickly saw it was going to be a very tedious procedure so I just ditched my efforts.

It seems a lot of new folks are making the same mistake these days when it comes to recording their performances. If you're going to record something, and you expect to add something to it at a later time, make sure you're performing in time with the metronome or with a click track. If an entire band is playing together then "perfect" timing is not as big of an issue but when you're trying to layer separate performances it's imperative. 

You might want to re-record this project while keeping the correct time with the metronome or at least keep the correct timing the next time you create a project if you're expecting anyone to help you with a backing track or work with you on the project. 

Qquite frankly I like your vocals and I think your melody line and lyrics show great promise as well, which is what prompted me to want to work something out for you in the first place. I think you have the musical talent to do well should you decide to pursue learning how to properly capture your musical ideas and concepts using this software. You have a much better start than I had when I first began since I have no vocal talent at all. LOL

Pete
    post edited by Peter Rabbit - 2011/08/11 16:37:56

"Creating a bad song takes just as much time and energy as creating a good one. The problem is that you don't know it's a bad song until someone tells you, and by then it's too late."
    P. Rabbit
    jsaras
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2642
    Re:I did another song, but still no music, just vocals. How bad is it? 2011/08/14 15:34:24 (permalink)
    Just go to http://www.ujam.com/  Upload your pre-recorded vocal (best if done to a click) and it will create backgrounds for you all day long, pitch correction, reverb, etc.  This is something I did for giggles after a couple of glasses of wine: http://tinyurl.com/3nlv8k3

http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com ("one minute free" mastering)

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)
    deadself
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re:I did another song, but still no music, just vocals. How bad is it? 2011/08/19 18:03:24 (permalink)
    peter rabbit: Thanks, I deeply appreciate the compliment and I appreciate the fact that you tried to put music into the track, but that's ok. I didn't post it up so someone could put music in it. I'm just sharing what I got until I can put in music myself, I guess, haha. I'm not that great with all this music program stuff.  Thanks again for the great compliment.

jsaras: hmm, maybe I'll try that. Just for kicks.

Thanks, people

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1