What Waves plugins/order of plugins are you using on your Audio tracks? Acoustic gtr, etc.

Author
Toddlius
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2011/08/06 17:28:14 (permalink)

What Waves plugins/order of plugins are you using on your Audio tracks? Acoustic gtr, etc.

I recently upgraded from Sonar 7 (yeah, I'm a noob) to X1 producer and purchased a host of new hardware/software.  I'm running waves plugins since I bought the platinum edition and for hardware I'm running everything through my Focusrite Sapphire Pro 40.
I would love some input on what plugins are being used by those of you who spend a good deal of time recording to mold your audio into the "perfect sound".  Should I be using one type of EQ over another style?  The platinum waves edition came with a host of delays, verb, eq, compression, etc.  I understand mic techniques play a large role in this, simply looking for tips on what order I put my EQ, Compression, Phase and what order if it makes a difference to list my sends out for verb, delay, doubler, etc.  Anyone who uses Waves plugins that can give me some great insight, much appreciated.
Thanks.

19 Replies Related Threads

dariunas
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 125
    Re:What Waves plugins/order of plugins are you using on your Audio tracks? Acoustic gtr, e 2011/08/06 20:12:39 (permalink)
    I'm also on v7, not yet upgraded to X1 either.

I'm not sure about the various waves plug-ins, but usually when you have a suite like that, the various plug-ins are usually geared for different type of signals. Not that they sound better or worse, but that the way they're set up or a couple of feature, might make it more suitable for one signal source or another. E.g. compression A is well laid out for working with drums, and compression B seems more intuitively setup for vocals etc.

Some might be designed to emulate certain types of hardware equivalents or to add analogue/tube-like character to a sound.

Signal path and order of FX would be really up to you. It's all down to taste. E.g. You usually wouldn't put your compression down after reverb unless it's gently limiting or you're going for a specific effect. I personally use EQ between compression and limiting (sometimes two instances either side of compression if I have done a really bad job mixing). The reverb would probably come immediately after compression, before the second EQ as I may want to brighten up instruments, but not make the  'room' sound as harsh.

IMO, there's no hard and fast rules. I have preferred ways of working, but I don't stick to them too rigidly...

--Intel Quad Core P2.4Ghz (Q6600) 8Gb RAM, MSI Fanless 9500GT, OCZ Vertex SSD 60Gb + Samsung Spinpoint 750Gb (x2=1.4Tb), M-Audio Axiom Pro49, M-Audio Audiophile 24/96, M-Audio Delta 1010, Yamaha HS10, Edirol MA-15D--

--Win 7 Pro 64-bit, Sonar 7 PE x64 & x86, Reaper, Reason 4, Sound Forge, EWQL Silver & EWQL Gypsy, NI Komplete7 & Kore2--
    lfm
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2216
    Re:What Waves plugins/order of plugins are you using on your Audio tracks? Acoustic gtr, e 2011/08/07 03:05:20 (permalink)
    I wonder why you would start up with buying the waves platinum?

Todays computers are x64 and waves stuff are still not.
    I checked in email contact a year ago and no sign of this according to them.

So to use computer fully you would run Sonar in x64 and have to use the bridges to 32-bit to run waves stuff. May work - or not.

And most of all the stuff you need to start up is in Sonar. Once having some experience you would find out what you need else.

OPs first post.
    To be honest, I think this is pure promotion posting - nothing else.

And these hardware iLok locks....

Rski
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 146
    Re:What Waves plugins/order of plugins are you using on your Audio tracks? Acoustic gtr, e 2011/08/07 09:30:17 (permalink)
    My favorite reverb is true verb, dial back and that take begins to take on a nice room quality. R Comp is pretty good compressor, the interface is handy to understand how compressing a signal reacts to compression, this is essential in getting a good mix. The C4 is sometimes very useful on a take that needs some spectrum adjustment on a poorly miked take that was done well musically.
    Paul Russell
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3892
    Re:What Waves plugins/order of plugins are you using on your Audio tracks? Acoustic gtr, e 2011/08/07 12:08:03 (permalink)
    Waves is the Protools of plugins

Paul Russell 
    Calamity Studio and on Facebook

Toddlius
    Re:What Waves plugins/order of plugins are you using on your Audio tracks? Acoustic gtr, e 2011/08/07 12:56:18 (permalink)
    Dear LFM,

I've been running Platinum edition plugins for a while.  I used them with Sonar 7 and found to like them very much.  I have had no problems running waves on sonar 64 bit thus far.  Do you have any recommendations as far as the plugins that Sonar X1 comes with?

私は音楽が好き
    AMD Phenom II x4 3.4 Ghz, 8 GB, Win7 64bit, Sonar x1 Producer, Waves Platinum, Melodyne Singletrack/Plugin, Focusrite Sapphire Pro 40, and a pawn shop Ukulele in the mix. 
    Rain
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9736
    Re:What Waves plugins/order of plugins are you using on your Audio tracks? Acoustic gtr, e 2011/08/07 13:25:25 (permalink)
    You mean you bought it w/o knowing if you really needed all of that stuff? Man, I wish I had that sort of money. ;)

Lets see... 

I could see myself using Renaissance Comp as my main track insert compressor.
    Renaissance EQ as my basic track EQ. That being said, nothing is systematic - I might as well use IK's Black 76 or Pultec on some of those. Or any other, including Sonar's very own Sonitus effects.

Renaissance Reverb on a bus or two. Truverb for some specific stuff. Supertap is a nice delay - could sit on a bus.

A lot of the others, like Renaissance Ax, Bass and Vocals are sort of variations of the aforementioned Renaissance Comp it seems. I imagine they can be used alternatively. 

And then you have the bigger guns like the V-Series, when you're after that particular type of sound. I could probably live with a touch of V-Comp on the buss in some cases. The Pultec emulation is always nice to have.

But really, they're pretty much all variations on a  basic set of tools. Compression, EQ, Reverb/Delay... Whether you choose to use H Comp or Renaissance compressor is most of the time a matter of determining what works best in the given case.

post edited by Rain - 2011/08/07 13:27:14

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re:What Waves plugins/order of plugins are you using on your Audio tracks? Acoustic gtr, e 2011/08/07 19:52:53 (permalink)
    Have you checked out all the videos on the waves site? Find some videos on the plugins you own and see how they are using them. Also checkout the artist/engineer videos (Kramer, CLA, etc...). You would think they would only plug their own stuff, but surprisingly they still seem to use the R series a lot!

If you ever check out Pensado's Place on You Tube, the Waves stuff comes up a lot there as well. He has a rapid fire section with a guest each week and asks them what their "go to" plugs are on certain situations. Again - the Waves R series comes up a lot, as does the L1 and L2.

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Waves is a bunch of 32-bit clutter in my computer ... 2011/08/09 21:00:27 (permalink)
    lfm
    I wonder why you would start up with buying the waves platinum?

Todays computers are x64 and waves stuff are still not.

+1

1) Waves, IMHO, are a bunch of crap for 64 bit users (I was sucker'd into buying the Diamond Edition with verbal promises that Waves would be 64-bit within a year)

2) Please do not buy Waves; rather, boycott them.  Waves plugins are rapidly becoming fools gold for Sonar users.  They are yester-year's plugins.

3) CW tech support denounces Waves on all Sonar 64-bit systems: "You simply cannot jbridge or bitbridge them, period ... their iLok mechanism conflicts and crashes Sonar"; "We regret that Waves should not be used in Sonar and we have no patches forthcoming to allow Waves to integrate in Sonar-64."

4) To my ears, for every Waves plugin there may be found cheaper, better, and seamless 64-bit alternative plugins via stable companies like Izotope, Voxengo, NI, and Cakewalk.

5) I realize a lot of us have placed excess patience in their 32-bit iLok mess, so my apologies if I offend.

6) Please, lets change this topic to exclude Waves propaganda and only include viable plugins.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Toddlius
    Re:Waves is a bunch of 32-bit clutter in my computer ... 2011/08/10 00:16:16 (permalink)
    Bollucks.  So the $2k I spent on the Platinum edition a few years ago isn't going to work well with x1 64bit?  I feel pretty sheepish right now..... That's embarrassing.
    So..... I am impressed with the array of plugins that came with x1.  Do you find yourself mainly using these stock ones or branching out yet again and purchasing vst's?
    Thanks for the video tips, I'll check them out for sure.

私は音楽が好き
    AMD Phenom II x4 3.4 Ghz, 8 GB, Win7 64bit, Sonar x1 Producer, Waves Platinum, Melodyne Singletrack/Plugin, Focusrite Sapphire Pro 40, and a pawn shop Ukulele in the mix. 
    Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:Waves is a bunch of 32-bit clutter in my computer ... 2011/08/10 02:14:38 (permalink)
    Not to keep the Waves topic going, but I just had to chime in here. They work perfectly for me in Sonar 64 without any problems. Maybe I'm just lucky or something...but the only thing that hasn't worked in Sonar 64 for me that needed to be specially bridged (J-Bridge) was Superior Drummer before they came out with the 64 patch. But it worked perfectly using J-Bridge. No plugin issues with 64 on my end at all and I didn't have to J-Bridge them...they just worked for me automatically without any problems, issues or errors.

-Danny

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    Philip
    Re:Waves is a bunch of 32-bit clutter in my computer ... 2011/08/10 11:09:24 (permalink)
    Danny,

Are you using V6, V5.9.7, V8, V4 & V5, or GTR?

Perhaps its your specific previous version that works for you and hopefully may work for the Op; if so, please share your version so the Op, myself, and others can employ it.  (I might grab it while I still have purchased rights to it.)

I'm using V7 on 2 computers with the exact same bugs/crashes and employed numerous jbridge links and other workarounds to get things working in a crippled manner.

Danny, CW tech support stated to me that the problem is global.  I'm not about to download V8 for its 'better interfaces' ... but I may download a previous version and ditch V7 ... if that works seemlessly for you in Sonar 64.

Thanks

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Waves is a bunch of 32-bit clutter in my computer ... 2011/08/10 11:19:16 (permalink)
    still on win xp.....

still on sonar 6PE......

but i use Waves diamond to great affect.

favorite plugs:

Rcomp, individual channel inserts.

Linear phase equalizer, on my master bus

PAZ Analyzer, on my master bus

Maxxbass, on my Bass Bus

renaissance Desser, on my vocal bus

for mastering duties:
    PAZ Analyzer
    Linear phase Equalizer
    Linear phase Multiband
    L2 Ultramaximizer

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

pathos
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 331
    Re:Waves is a bunch of 32-bit clutter in my computer ... 2011/08/10 13:24:45 (permalink)
    Toddlius

Bollucks.  So the $2k I spent on the Platinum edition a few years ago isn't going to work well with x1 64bit?  I feel pretty sheepish right now..... That's embarrassing.
    So..... I am impressed with the array of plugins that came with x1.  Do you find yourself mainly using these stock ones or branching out yet again and purchasing vst's?
    Thanks for the video tips, I'll check them out for sure.

Waves works fine in X1 or 8.5 x64. I'm guessing they're not x64 yet because of Pace/ iLok not being stable. They have the technology. They never crash my system. SSL, CLA my personal favs.

I use the vst's that work the best on the material. Some in X1 are fine for tracking but never use them for mastering.

Danny Danzi
    Re:Waves is a bunch of 32-bit clutter in my computer ... 2011/08/10 14:03:58 (permalink)
    Philip

Danny,

Are you using V6, V5.9.7, V8, V4 & V5, or GTR?

Perhaps its your specific previous version that works for you and hopefully may work for the Op; if so, please share your version so the Op, myself, and others can employ it.  (I might grab it while I still have purchased rights to it.)

I'm using V7 on 2 computers with the exact same bugs/crashes and employed numerous jbridge links and other workarounds to get things working in a crippled manner.

Danny, CW tech support stated to me that the problem is global.  I'm not about to download V8 for its 'better interfaces' ... but I may download a previous version and ditch V7 ... if that works seemlessly for you in Sonar 64.

Thanks

I'm using 7.1.16 at the moment. The only strange experience I have that I forgot to mention is sometimes while tweaking a slider in those plugs, it starts to shake. If I move it super fast it will shake and not even move. If I go slow with it, it works fine. Are there any specific plugs you use that crash Philip? Are there any that DO work for you? Maybe it's certain plugs or something...and the ones you use aren't ones I use often? I'm willing to test whatever you want me to. At the moment on this particular pc I'm working on, it's s stock Dell, i3, 4 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 running Sonar 8.5 32 and x64. I only have Sonar x1 32 on this particular machine...but no issues with Waves in Sonar 8.5 on this box.

Keep in mind, I don't use Sonar 64 often other than when I need loads of softsynths going on...but when I have used it with Waves, I've never had a problem.

Remember that guy Jose that used to be on here more often? He made a list some time ago with all the plugs that supposedly would have issues with Sonar 64. When I did my install of Sonar 64, I made it a point to see if I had a problem with any of those plugs. I remember being worried about my Waves stuff as well as my Abbey Road plugs...yet all of them worked without a hitch on the first try. I was using Waves v5.8 before this version I have now...and it too worked really well. The only issue I had with that was a GUI problem. I'd open the plug up in my bin, and not be able to see it. So I'd "X" out of it (not close it down) and then double click on it in the bin to reopen, and poof, I could see the plug. But even those worked in Sonar 64 using stock bit bridge..

If you don't have J-Bridge, you may want to try it for your particular set up. Quite a few have praised it and it also gives you a better "plug preset menu" at the top left. I do have J-Bridge but haven't needed it other than for the Superior thing I told you about. But once the 64 patch came out, I unbridged it and I'm still in good shape.

To be honest, I only got this version of Waves that I have because I was told it stopped that disappearing GUI upon first load. I was afraid to install it because 5.8 was working so well other than the GUI problem which was a real pain in the butt for me. What was also weird was, in V5, they gave you DX and VST. The DX worked perfectly for me to where I used them more than the VST's other than the plugs that were VST only for Waves. But in X1, I started to have issues with quite a few DX plugs so when I got 7.1.16, I was actually happy they had done away with the DX versions. I wish I could give you more info or figure out why mine works and yours doesn't. I also don't remember having any problems on my recording pc's with Waves and 64 bit Sonar. But just to be sure, I'm going to test it extensively tonight. I mastered a project in 64 last night experimenting with something and had at least 5 Waves plugs in the project. Maybe it's specific ones that don't work?

-Danny

My Site
    Philip
    Re:Waves is a bunch of 32-bit clutter in my computer ... 2011/08/10 15:31:32 (permalink)
    Danny, thanks for your excellent thoughts and response (that I've anxiously awaited).

I've already shelled, renamed all waves extensions, and Jbridged all my v7 waves, to make them do-able ... at a great cost to CPU and latancy in S8.5.3-64.  CW tech support stated I'd have to do similar in X1-64, that X1 does not accept Waves vsts seemlessly, nor with jbridge, ... due to Pace issues inherent in the bridging (or such).

1) I am able to run, but not bounce, multiple waves VSTs in any given fx bin.

2) I can bounce one Waves vst at a time, period ... bouncing multiple fx's is almost always problematic.  And changing the ASIO buffer-latency has failed for me.  It is safe to launch a wave's vst in any fx bin ... as long as I plan on bouncing the audio fx to the clip (that is how I cleaned your bass guitar)

3) Melodyne plus xNoise remover --> 'more noise'

4) Jbridge, Shell *encapsulation*, and renaming Wave's extensions is the only workaround for my 2 DAWs.

5) Superior worked seemlessly (a yr ago) with Jbridge, Waves failed repeatedly on multiple computers with each and every vst.

6) I had hoped that your v5 might be a more seamless fix, but you state v7 is going on now.

7) It is fine to master multiple waves in your 32 bit programs (including Sony SF).

8) For dedicated Waves mastering (my definition of mastering), which I only did with one or 2 hip-hop songs, I preferred 32-bit Sony SF ... as Sonar 'look-ahead', latency, CPU strain, was rough and long on my Sonar master buss (esp with numerous other vsts on tracks).  Also, my 'printed masters' sounded noisy/distorted using the LL Maximizers in Sonar.  SoundForge utilized Waves LL stuff without a hitch.

9) Each and every wave vst, iirc, had the same symptoms: CPU strain, latency-distortions, etc., even in my tedious jbridge+renamed+shelled workaround.  (An exact description of my/others madness is written by others (Cubase forum) as the only workaround and I won't discuss the madness here)

10) Running 2+ waves *seamlessly* in Sonar 64 is the death kiss to any 64-bit project for me.  They may show up in the bin ... then things lock up.

11) I am glad I have my crippled Waves, despite the $1.5K I paid.  But they really don't directly help my inspiration nor spiritual groanings.  They have a place, like xNoiseRemover ... where pink noise haunts my vocs ... not just my Avalon Pre and voxformer artifacts.  

In Army of the Lord, I cleaned a lot of tracks with this and 'tried things' with maxbass, vocoders, his-removers, etc.

12) I'd better get seriously spiritually awakened (today) for new vox takes, else, I may play with Izotope Nectar to inspire (aka, 'cover-up') my inept/ordinary samples ... and yet hope for God to awaken things, etc.

Philip  

batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Waves is a bunch of 32-bit clutter in my computer ... 2011/08/10 16:07:45 (permalink)
    i dump my sonar mixes into WAVELAB, and use my Waves plugs there, for mastering.
    i use the dithering in the L2, not the wavelab.

smooth as silk.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Philip
    Re:Waves is a bunch of 32-bit clutter in my computer ... 2011/08/10 19:33:25 (permalink)
    Bat ... and I supposed you only preferred a mastering house 
    (which I'm succombing to ... if my mastering house remains patient with me).

I bet you can master your stuff exceedingly well, fwiw.

Anyway, I've had excellent results with L/LL (ultra/multi) Maximizers in SoundForge also.  I wonder if Wavelabs will be worth the switch soon.

Philip  

Danny Danzi
    Re:Waves is a bunch of 32-bit clutter in my computer ... 2011/08/10 21:52:20 (permalink)
    Philip

Danny, thanks for your excellent thoughts and response (that I've anxiously awaited).

I've already shelled, renamed all waves extensions, and Jbridged all my v7 waves, to make them do-able ... at a great cost to CPU and latancy in S8.5.3-64.  CW tech support stated I'd have to do similar in X1-64, that X1 does not accept Waves vsts seemlessly, nor with jbridge, ... due to Pace issues inherent in the bridging (or such).

1) I am able to run, but not bounce, multiple waves VSTs in any given fx bin.

2) I can bounce one Waves vst at a time, period ... bouncing multiple fx's is almost always problematic.  And changing the ASIO buffer-latency has failed for me.  It is safe to launch a wave's vst in any fx bin ... as long as I plan on bouncing the audio fx to the clip (that is how I cleaned your bass guitar)

3) Melodyne plus xNoise remover --> 'more noise'

4) Jbridge, Shell *encapsulation*, and renaming Wave's extensions is the only workaround for my 2 DAWs.

5) Superior worked seemlessly (a yr ago) with Jbridge, Waves failed repeatedly on multiple computers with each and every vst.

6) I had hoped that your v5 might be a more seamless fix, but you state v7 is going on now.

7) It is fine to master multiple waves in your 32 bit programs (including Sony SF).

8) For dedicated Waves mastering (my definition of mastering), which I only did with one or 2 hip-hop songs, I preferred 32-bit Sony SF ... as Sonar 'look-ahead', latency, CPU strain, was rough and long on my Sonar master buss (esp with numerous other vsts on tracks).  Also, my 'printed masters' sounded noisy/distorted using the LL Maximizers in Sonar.  SoundForge utilized Waves LL stuff without a hitch.

9) Each and every wave vst, iirc, had the same symptoms: CPU strain, latency-distortions, etc., even in my tedious jbridge+renamed+shelled workaround.  (An exact description of my/others madness is written by others (Cubase forum) as the only workaround and I won't discuss the madness here)

10) Running 2+ waves *seamlessly* in Sonar 64 is the death kiss to any 64-bit project for me.  They may show up in the bin ... then things lock up.

11) I am glad I have my crippled Waves, despite the $1.5K I paid.  But they really don't directly help my inspiration nor spiritual groanings.  They have a place, like xNoiseRemover ... where pink noise haunts my vocs ... not just my Avalon Pre and voxformer artifacts.  

In Army of the Lord, I cleaned a lot of tracks with this and 'tried things' with maxbass, vocoders, his-removers, etc.

12) I'd better get seriously spiritually awakened (today) for new vox takes, else, I may play with Izotope Nectar to inspire (aka, 'cover-up') my inept/ordinary samples ... and yet hope for God to awaken things, etc.

Well Philip, here's a quick little test I did for you using a project I'm working on.

As you can see, there are 5 Waves plugs running here while audio is playing and I'm not seeing any spikes in cpu and had no crashes in X1 64. I tried opening and closing them while playback was going on, deleted them and re-inserted, exported the audio...froze the audio...no issues at all.

Here's a better shot of the image. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4909348/WavesTest.JPG

I have no idea why this works for me other than my box was built by the great Jim Roseberry. But even my box before this one worked well with Waves 5.8 on Sonar 64. I wish I had some answers for you my friend...but I haven't got a clue.

Rest assured I'm sure your mastering house will remain patient with you. ;)

-Danny
    post edited by Danny Danzi - 2011/08/10 22:45:17

My Site
    Philip
    Re:Waves is a bunch of 32-bit clutter in my computer ... 2011/08/11 01:23:19 (permalink)
    Danny,

Jim Roseberry, IIRC, suggested I might try the Shell and/or jbridge route ... but also stated things worked right out of the box for him (like you have here).  I'm glad its working well for you with your configuration. 

I wish cw tech support and/or waves tech support had a clue to as to why it somehow works for you and Jim and no one else;  it makes me ponder if there'd be: 

... a hard-ware chip-set that prevents both Dell and HP flagship systems from running waves in Sonar-64, else
    ... Melodyne conflicts,
    ... other plug-in conflicts.
    ... ASIO driver conflicts
    ... etc.

I certainly hope the bulk of us can resolve this issue as you evidently have.

Philip  

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1