Sub-bass...lots of it...too much? Psychodelic rock

Author
Ron Vogel
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1074
2011/08/07 19:50:55 (permalink)

Sub-bass...lots of it...too much? Psychodelic rock

It sounds kickass im my room...but you know how bass goes!

Looking to hear opinions on the bass content/overall mix. I HATED listening to this when I laid down the tracks a few years ago, and took a good stab at it over last week.

"I Saw Die"
http://www.ourstage.com/t/AEQUWLZPHLHG?u=45fe49
New mix/arrangement 8/19/11:
http://www.ourstage.com/t/JHLPXVIXWFCL?u=45fe49
post edited by Ron Vogel - 2011/08/18 23:44:40

I'm stuck in the past, but my foot's tapping forward 
Ron Vogel Soundclick page

17 Replies Related Threads

lavoll
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 447
    Re:Sub-bass...lots of it...too much? Psychodelic rock 2011/08/07 20:37:28 (permalink)
    doenst seem bass heavy here at all.. (listening on headset on my laptop). ill take another listen in my studio tomorrow.

sonar x1b, win 7, 12gig ram, 6gb ssd, i7 Hexa Processor i7-970, lynx aurora
    One Reason
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 40
    Re:Sub-bass...lots of it...too much? Psychodelic rock 2011/08/07 21:30:41 (permalink)
    I dont hear any 'sub' bass at all... if its heavy on anything, its the vibrato in the vocals.

imo.
    vechung
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 818
    Re:Sub-bass...lots of it...too much? Psychodelic rock 2011/08/08 10:39:30 (permalink)
    Bass is fine.  Could bring it up a tad.  Very nice job on the mx.  The instrumental performance is great.  Need to add some reverb on the vocals to give it some space.

http://www.soundclick.com/vicentechung
    https://soundcloud.com/thefoundandthelost

Vicente 

Sonar Platinum, Live 10, Motu 828, Ozone 7
    Ron Vogel
    Re:Sub-bass...lots of it...too much? Psychodelic rock 2011/08/18 23:45:24 (permalink)
    OK....did a little more work on it...;)

jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:Sub-bass...lots of it...too much? Psychodelic rock 2011/08/19 08:28:59 (permalink)
    Sounds very 1973-CSNY-ish. Nothing says cool quite like a police siren in a tune!

+1 on the vibrato...if you could just hold the note straight until a 1/4 note or so nstead of going right into it, it would be more effective. You can sing, no doubt about that!
    jbow
    Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7601
    Re:Sub-bass...lots of it...too much? Psychodelic rock 2011/08/19 11:40:38 (permalink)
    IMO, you have a great mix. I think everything sits in the mix well in it's own space and comes together really well. Everything has definition and the mix isn't muddy at all. There are a few places where I think that the vocals could come up front a little more (when the instruments get loud). In the quiet passage around the 4:00 minute mark, the vocals, IMO, are perfect in the mix.

It would be cool to fade back in after a few seconds with the instruments but with some parts played backward... fade to full then out.

I like your mix a LOT. I like the bass. I only listened to the second mix. Very nice indeed t these ears! I listened through K-240 phones and my laptop card with no enhancements.

Julien

Sonar Platinum
    Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
    HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    Re:Sub-bass...lots of it...too much? Psychodelic rock 2011/08/19 13:54:47 (permalink)
    The bass sounds fine on my monitors. I think the crunchy guitar could come up a wee tad. The vocal vibrato sounds fine to me too, with good harmony too. I love the tone on the lead guitar. Solid songwriting. Good effort, Ron, a satisfying listen.

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    I Am The Quarry
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 28
    Re:Sub-bass...lots of it...too much? Psychodelic rock 2011/08/19 17:04:31 (permalink)
    Bass sounds good on my monitors.  Really drives the song.

Cool song - and cool voice Ron.  Great job on the mix - it is really well balanced. I wouldn't mind hearing it with the electric guitars a little more prominent though.

Sonar X1
    Win 7 / Intel Core i5 / 4GB RAM
    NI Komplete Audio 6
    Parker, BC Rich, Takamine, Yamaha, Peavey, DBX, SE, Boss

[link=http://soundcloud.com/gwyn-maughan</a></font>]http://soundcloud.com/gwy...lt;/a></font>
    Ron Vogel
    Re:Sub-bass...lots of it...too much? Psychodelic rock 2011/08/19 20:44:21 (permalink)
    I wish that the electric could come up more...but it's really awful! I tried to upgrade my studio at the time I was putting this tune together a year or so ago. I sold a pair of KRK V8 series 1 and a custom Princeton Reverb to buy a pair of Yamaha MSP7's (which I got NEW for $559 a pair shipped!) and a Marshall class 5. I did the electric with the Marshall...and it's really fizzy/cheap sounding recorded. I'd probably be best served to rerecord that part, but I think the mix is decent enough to move on. I advise people to RUN AWAY from the Class 5 whenever I can. I recorded 3 tunes with it, and each was a nightmare to get the electric to sound good. Mud or fizz...take your pick; it's got both!

I sold that amp about a month after I got it and bought a basketcase '67 Univox U45B, restored it and sold it for double what I bought it for. Got a '72 champ off Craigslist with the proceeds for $200, and dropped another 200 into a full restoration and a custom Weber speaker. Never looked back. The Champ ALWAYS delivers with no issues. Sorry for the rant...I really like my Champ!

Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Sub-bass...lots of it...too much? Psychodelic rock 2011/08/20 20:33:15 (permalink)
    Just listening on my laptop and this definitely deserves some real monitors.  I always enjoy your songs and hearing you sing, and this is no exception. 
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Sub-bass...lots of it...too much? Psychodelic rock 2011/08/20 20:57:29 (permalink)
    Wow. Great stuff.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

CreatingNoise
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1666
    Re:Sub-bass...lots of it...too much? Psychodelic rock 2011/08/22 20:36:08 (permalink)
    Ron,
      I am listening on my PC with a sub which usually produces emphasis on bass.  I am getting hardly anything on this so I would say there is not too much bass. 

So yeah, the tune is very cool.  The vibe is pretty hard to pin down for me but it doesn't matter cause it is just good.  The guitar lead is great.  Vocals remind me of Geoff Tate from Queensryche (think Sign O The Times CD timeframe). 

Nice work.  Thanks for the comments on the Marshall Class 5.  I am hovering around buying an all tube amp (my first) and that one crossed my radar.  I want something that is good for studio work since that is my sole need at this time.  The one band I was in years ago was fronted by a friend of mine (guitar player/singer) and he had a Champ that was just a great sounding.  He didn't use any effects but always got the thing to sing.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Sub-bass...lots of it...too much? Psychodelic rock 2011/08/22 21:38:06 (permalink)
    On the bass.... yeah it's heavy and low. but not uncomfortably so, I'm listening on some nice buds and I can hear it really well.

CSNY does come to mind. The vox and the rest of the mix is pretty much in your face and present.  Nice backwards guitar..... sweet tone.

I enjoyed the listen.

edit: on a powered studio sub I'll bet this one shakes the floor. I don't usually load a tune into my DAW to listen, but curiosity might get me tomorrow morning.... just to see,   cause I can hear lots of activity in the lower registers.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/08/22 21:40:16

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Ron Vogel
    Re:Sub-bass...lots of it...too much? Psychodelic rock 2011/08/23 15:06:07 (permalink)
    CreatingNoise

Ron,
      I am listening on my PC with a sub which usually produces emphasis on bass.  I am getting hardly anything on this so I would say there is not too much bass. 

So yeah, the tune is very cool.  The vibe is pretty hard to pin down for me but it doesn't matter cause it is just good.  The guitar lead is great.  Vocals remind me of Geoff Tate from Queensryche (think Sign O The Times CD timeframe). 

Nice work.  Thanks for the comments on the Marshall Class 5.  I am hovering around buying an all tube amp (my first) and that one crossed my radar.  I want something that is good for studio work since that is my sole need at this time.  The one band I was in years ago was fronted by a friend of mine (guitar player/singer) and he had a Champ that was just a great sounding.  He didn't use any effects but always got the thing to sing.

If you can swing it, the Princeton reverb reissue is KILLER to record with...and actually quieter than the Class 5 if you can believe that! Just don't go for the Princeton Recording...I had that one too, it's very hissy, and the on-board effects/power attenuator are garbage...waste of money.

I play mainly through my Telecaster, and paired with the Class 5 actually sound very good...but record poorly for some odd reason. I did mod mine pretty extensively but it would not make the amp friendly. You can see some of my mod stuff here:
    http://music-electronics-forum.com/t19680/

chasmcg
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 642
    Re:Sub-bass...lots of it...too much? Psychodelic rock 2011/08/23 17:14:25 (permalink)
    Sounds very good. Singer reminds me of the Styx singer. Liked the guitar.
    mstodge
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 984
    Re:Sub-bass...lots of it...too much? Psychodelic rock 2011/08/24 08:03:11 (permalink)
    Sounds great to me. Funky tune which i enjoyed a lot.

Mark.
    Ian Ferrin
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 527
    Re:Sub-bass...lots of it...too much? Psychodelic rock 2011/08/24 09:09:23 (permalink)
    Really cool tune.  The bass is fine.  The overall song has an epic feel to it and the arrangement doesn't disappoint.  You keep it interesting.  Really well done.

Somebody else mentioned the vocal.  I think the vocal is good but it might benefit from some processing.   Just to give it a bit more energy.

I enjoyed your tune.

Peace,

Ian

"Everyone is a 'believer' - even if you don't believe, that's a belief" - Me

Songs - (at soundclick)
    Sonar Platinum, Native Instruments Komplete 10u, Korg N1R X2 (for some reason I still love this old synth).
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1