Dim Pro / Rapture purchased on PC, usable on Mac ? Licensing ?

Author
SystemF
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 54
2011/08/10 03:07:57 (permalink)

Dim Pro / Rapture purchased on PC, usable on Mac ? Licensing ?

Hey fellas.
Just wondering if someone could give us a hint on this one. I own dimension pro that came with Sonar 8.5 as well as X1 that i purchased. I also own the Rapture 1.2. Both which i can download freely from my cakewalk account as they are after all my purchases. The downloads are both for PC.

I've recently switched platforms, from PC to Mac. I used dim pro and rapture extensively in my projects, in Ableton Live. Now i no longer use or have dim pro or rapture installed on PC. And i'd like to now use them on my Mac studio.  Although i have the license and serials for both, i do not own the downloads for the Mac versions of each? How would i obtain these, and would this be allowed under the licensing terms at all ?
Cheers.

7 Replies Related Threads

chad
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 468
    Re:Dim Pro / Rapture purchased on PC, usable on Mac ? Licensing ? 2011/08/10 09:00:54 (permalink)
    I don't know about Dimension Pro since the discs that come with SONAR may be windows only.  However with Rapture you could just log into the Rapture support pages and download the 1.2.1 installer then update to 1.2.2 for OSX without issue.

I'd contact Cake Tech Support on getting Dimension Pro on OSX  if the discs included in SONAR aren't cross platform.

Good luck!
    SystemF
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 54
    Re:Dim Pro / Rapture purchased on PC, usable on Mac ? Licensing ? 2011/08/11 03:29:33 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply Chad. The Rapture trick may work. Dim pro is whats more important to me, but the discs and the download version of my X1 are PC only. May contact the cakewalk support to try and get the mac version too.

PC: Sonar X1 Producer/Ableton 8.1.4/Cubase 6, Focusrite Saffire Pro24, Korg M3, KRK Rokit 6. Plenty of amps and guitars...
    JClosed
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 690
    Re:Dim Pro / Rapture purchased on PC, usable on Mac ? Licensing ? 2011/08/27 11:32:55 (permalink)
    Hmm ... I would be extremely interested in this too..

Installing Rapture is no problem. There are two separate installers for Windows and OSX. The Dimension Pro disc that comes with Sonar8.5/X1 however only has a Windows installer on it. Maybe it is possible to download the latest installer for OSX (1.3 full), but I have no idea how to install the sound banks from the windows disc.

I am going to experiment a little with this...

I will keep you updated..

As a side note - I do not know -if I succeed- the legal status of this install. I have the serial and activation code for the Windows version, but I do not know if it is allowed to use Dim Pro under OSX with this license...

[Edit]

Nope - there seems to be no way to do this - bummer...
    Well - I was not expecting too much, so I am not that disappointed.

[/Edit]

post edited by JClosed - 2011/08/27 12:29:54
    JClosed
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 690
    Re:Dim Pro / Rapture purchased on PC, usable on Mac ? Licensing ? 2011/09/07 13:08:02 (permalink)
    Sorry for bumping this subject up again, but does anyone know if you need to purchase a separate full-prised version for OSX if you already own Dimension Pro for the PC? I can imagine (a bit) you need to pay a bit extra to use the already owned DimPro on OSX, but buy a full separate OSX version? That's a bit too much I am afraid. Rapture is also usable on both systems, so why DimPro is different? Just a question...
    post edited by JClosed - 2011/09/07 13:09:32
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Dim Pro / Rapture purchased on PC, usable on Mac ? Licensing ? 2011/09/07 15:01:46 (permalink)
    JC,

my purchase copy of DimPro comes with the bog standaRD license agreement - many machines, using only one instance.  I can understand Cake being leary of mac and pc combo, but legally it shouldn't matter unless there is some fine print down there.  Still, they probably don't want to make it easy for dual use.  I would try tech support first.  if they don't help, write a letter to Greg H. or the front office.  be nice about it and you might want to butter them up - "DimPro is great, so great I'd like to use it on my mac but still have it on the PC to use with the DAW that changed the world, X1...." A call, a letter don't take much time and you may get satisfaction.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Twitch
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 372
    Re:Dim Pro / Rapture purchased on PC, usable on Mac ? Licensing ? 2011/09/18 16:10:54 (permalink)
    Did anyone find out if this is possible for DimPRo?

http://www.listenupstudio.com/
    Motu BPM, Cakewalk, Roland MV8000 (8800)

Music is a moral law,
    it gives wings to the mind,
    a soul to the universe,
    flight to the imagination,
    a charm to sadness,
    a life to everything
    Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re:Dim Pro / Rapture purchased on PC, usable on Mac ? Licensing ? 2011/09/18 22:49:32 (permalink)
    If you can run Rapture successfully but not DimPro, it is worth noting that DimPro's multisamples (as well as other sfz files) can be loaded into Rapture.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1