More Of You~ a REMIXED trip-hop experiment

Author
No How
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5180
2011/08/13 11:21:22 (permalink)

More Of You~ a REMIXED trip-hop experiment

I have a hunch this probably isn't most of your most listened to (or favorite) genre so there probably will be cobwebs on this post but i'm pigheaded anyway.

I've written a string of trip hoppy-chillout type songs that all require a female vocalists as the songs are from their perspective and the genre is not friendly to male vocalists in general....but i really like the vibe of it.

I've sent songs to a friend upstate and she's kindly giving an ear....hopefully she'll give a voice too.

Here is a loungy kinda love adventure called "More Of You"

it's just bass, drums, keys, vocals.

Thanks for the listen.   It means a lot.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=826274&songID=10949148

oh i almost forgot:  THis is my first attempt with X1 (Essential)....i don't really like it as it requires more steps and the screen is so crowded that i feel clausterphobic but it does have nice toys.

post edited by No How - 2011/08/19 11:59:55

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull

23 Replies Related Threads

One Reason
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 40
    Re:More Of You~ a triphop experiment 2011/08/13 11:32:56 (permalink)
    Different.

Good luck luring ur chicksinger.
    Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:More Of You~ a triphop experiment 2011/08/13 11:36:39 (permalink)
    Rick, you know us better than that...it seems that no matter what you write, everyone will listen.  Well, anyone that's anyone anyway.  :) 

And funny thing, whatever you call this, it's one of my favorites of yours.  Wish I could sing.  Your wife went on strike, huh?  Good luck with your friend.

Drums sound a little dry to me.  Love all the effects and things flying in and out. And cool tune! :)  Great job once again! 
    Maxprizm
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    Re:More Of You~ a triphop experiment 2011/08/13 12:38:16 (permalink)
    Love it, such great lyrics. There is a few glitches or pops throughout, not sure whats causing it, pretty noticeable towards the end. Great mood! 

If you hit the I and B key in X1 it should open the screen up a bit. The gui definitely takes some getting use to.
    post edited by Maxprizm - 2011/08/13 13:43:19

Ed Edge

Alegria
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2075
    Re:More Of You~ a triphop experiment 2011/08/13 13:23:38 (permalink)
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:More Of You~ a triphop experiment 2011/08/13 14:26:59 (permalink)
    Hi Rick.

There's a nice dreamy vibe to this and great lyrics are a given from the Gents. IOW great song as usual.

The vox sound a bit shrill in that ol' essing area, not worth messing with if you have someone in mind to change the gender of it though.

You are braver than me moving to X1 my productivity is reduced to zero anyway without having to get my head around a new interface.  Hearing this has inspired me some though.

I've been re-visiting the old 'Bristol' trip hop sound lately and it amazes me what people like Portishead did with just a Rhodes, Organ and Bass, certainly a less is more way of thinking and the spartan arrangement works here.

Always good to hear you.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2011/08/13 14:30:36

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:More Of You~ a triphop experiment 2011/08/13 14:59:27 (permalink)
    JB makes mention of the first word that came to my mind as I listened to the cool vibe: Rhodes... man, can I hear one padding behind this!  It's a great tune, and while the strained vocal kinda' adds to the nice quirkiness, I'd suggest try singing it an octave down and see what you think.  Love the tune though... gotta' be a good gal singer out there that will jump all over this.  BTW- Neat synth work too.
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:More Of You~ a triphop experiment 2011/08/14 00:48:27 (permalink)
    Superb vocal stuff here; electric-dreamy enticing ... a class of its own.  Very powerful.  Great stuff bro!

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    No How
    Re:More Of You~ a triphop experiment 2011/08/14 16:11:20 (permalink)
    One Reason~  Thanks for the listen and good luck wish.  I'll need it.

Janet~ Yes, wife is on strike.  Is fed up with my other-than-her-addiction.  This genre of music is a lot like my martinis, both are on the dry side - especially the drums.
    thanks for the listen and comments as always.

Ed~  Yeah, i cleaned up about 25 pops (due to too hot vocal tracks) but there are more.
    I'll tweak those tonight.  Thanks for the listen and the notes on X1.  I'll try it out.  My big complaint is in any kind of editing (envelopes for instance) i've got to constantly go back and forth to change tools whereas before i never needed to do this.  I'll keep at it.

JC~  Nice to see you 'roun, sir.   Thanks for the listen and wry smile.

Jon~  Howdie Sir Bouy.  Portishead is a pioneer band IMO.  The whole genre to me, is like the best of the 60s pop, the most intimate of the small cool jazz groups, and the most disciplined (minimalist) of the electronic crowd.  I'm going in to do some de-hisssssing surgery tonight.  Thanks for popping in and sharing your ears.

Phil~  Yes a Rhodes is sweet but i have it as a major instrument in another trip hop tune (i'm too scared to let in public.)   Singing it lower would definately improve on the vocals except for the lyrical content which will make me sound extremely gay....hopefully i'll have it sung by the proper gender soon.  Thank you for coming by to listen!

Philip~ I'm glad you liked the vocals.  It's always my favorite part to do (male or female).
    Thank you for listening and kind comments!
    post edited by No How - 2011/08/15 08:38:56

s o n g s

Janet
    Re:More Of You~ a triphop experiment 2011/08/14 17:35:12 (permalink)
    "Is fed up with my other-than-her-addiction." ....I totally understand...
    No How
    Re:More Of You~ a triphop experiment 2011/08/14 23:08:15 (permalink)
    Janet

"Is fed up with my other-than-her-addiction." ....I totally understand...

...and , of course, you're both right.  It's not right.  ...but it was this 'addiction' that actually brought us together in the first place.  I have toned it down substantially in the last 6 months.  I'm getting better....and it only makes me love and understand my women folk more.

s o n g s

stillnotbanned
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 37
    Re:More Of You~ a triphop experiment 2011/08/15 01:06:15 (permalink)
    You know, throughout my life, my partners have said "Baby, what I want is more...................................................... of You!!! And I continue to tell them? I'm sorry, but this is all there is :-(

I enjoyed your song Rick. The drums seemed like they could fit better, help with the continuity. 
    Janet
    Re:More Of You~ a triphop experiment 2011/08/15 12:08:05 (permalink)
    No, Rick, you didn't read that right.  I've got the same addiction as you, remember?  :)
    MannyNY
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 732
    Re:More Of You~ a trip-hop experiment 2011/08/15 22:08:03 (permalink)
    It’s a love / hate thing with your material – I love the fact that even before listening I know it will sound like nothing I’ve heard before (except maybe from you ) and that it will be good, quirky, off-beat and interesting. I hate the fact that I can’t do this  - and that is, come up with these “through the looking glass” musical journeys. This is terrific. The fact that the vocals are so out front, so distanced from the underlying chords that you almost lose the sense of tonality and so raw makes me laugh over and over again. It’s almost as if you’re daring someone to say “this is terrible” when you know it really is brilliant. Shame on you.
    No How
    Re:More Of You~ a trip-hop experiment 2011/08/16 17:38:41 (permalink)
    Hello stillnotbanned.....you know, you could call your ficticious (like mine) band:
    "Still Knot Band".  It might catch on. LOL.   funny you mentioned drum continuity because it's almost a drum machine it's so repetitive (oh, baby sooo retro). 
    Thanks for the ears and comments.

Hi Manny..............You're perspective is refreshing and chock full of a writers glance.  My through-looking-glass journeys are mostly from keeping the lurking glass full (as emptying it is so fun).  After trying to write 'enlightened' or social commentary songs and being sooo bored with myself i've come to accept (at least for me) that there is nothing in the human experience more inexhaustable then the telling and retelling of love, broken love, imaginary love, twisted love, long ago love, up above love, gone south love.......Also....it's a private game i play to try and not rhyme alone with phone...now i'll try bone...LOL.
    sorry to ramble...I sit in a cubicle and look at spreadsheets all day.
    Thank you so much for your friendly ears!!!

s o n g s

Freddy J
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2348
    Re:More Of You~ a trip-hop experiment 2011/08/17 11:50:12 (permalink)
    I never know what I'll hear when I play one of your songs --- I just know that it will be doggone good and creative as all get-out.  You certainly did not dissapoint this time.  Quirky, different, very good and certainly something that draws you into listening to it.  I love that little vocal dissonance on the "you" lyrics.
    Excellent stuff Rick.

Freddy J
    paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re:More Of You~ a trip-hop experiment 2011/08/17 17:47:34 (permalink)
    Right, so last time we had Mrs NoHow sounding like Mr NoHow and it seems this time we have Mr NoHow trying to sound more like Mrs Nohow ;) Or is that just me ?

I like the feel of it for sure, but not my favourite of your vocals if I'm to be honest, which I always try to be. Only listening on lappy, but something is making the sound distort quite a lot when I turn the volume up.  Some tunes seem to do this and I don't know why that is - it's prolly the crappy speakers but I've listened to a few tonight and this is the only one that's doing it, so I'm guessing there's maybe some frequencies in yours that it doesn't like ? Sorry that's not very helpful really, but maybe someone who knows what they're talking about will chime in.

No How
    Re:More Of You~ a trip-hop experiment 2011/08/17 19:52:16 (permalink)
    Freddy,   Thank you, good man, for taking time to give a listen.  I appreciate the kind and supportive comments.

Paulo,    LMAO...yeah...it's meant to be sung by a female and i'm working on it...so i had to sing it kinda high for a demo to show.   It is funny.  The distortion is probably NOT your crappy speakers but my crappy tracking.   It was WAAAAYYYYYYY too hot going in.  I used envelopes everywhere to curb it but it was out of control.  I really appreciate the honest comments.
    Thanks ....it's always nice to hear from you.

s o n g s

mstodge
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 984
    Re:More Of You~ a trip-hop experiment 2011/08/18 07:52:18 (permalink)
    I've heard many fantastic songs from you over the years Rick. Unfortunately, this didn't do it for me. I can't put my finger on why, i think maybe there was too much going on at some points that i didn't know which part to concentrate on?

Some nice elements in there though.

Mark.
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:More Of You~ a trip-hop experiment 2011/08/18 08:14:06 (permalink)
    That was something cool, Rick. Love the atonal clinking things around 2:00.THe only thin I would add is that it is a real centered mix. Perhaps adding a widener like Channle Tools on the keys would open things up a bit more.
    geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:More Of You~ a trip-hop experiment 2011/08/18 17:43:10 (permalink)
    Hi Rick,

Very cool. I'm listening on the worst speakers in the world so it's a little difficult to hear the chords/harmony behind the lead vocal, though.

This will be really nice if/when you add the female vox.

There is a sorta 'plinking' sounding instrument/synth in there that I like a lot. Very nice.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    No How
    Re:More Of You~ a trip-hop experiment 2011/08/19 12:05:05 (permalink)
    Mark...........Nice to see you around.   Sorry this isn't doing it for you.  It's a genre I am just flirting with.  I appreciate the honest comments and ears.

James...........I took your advice and did the stereo/eq widening on the synths to open them out a bit.  Hope it helped.  Thanks for coming by to have an ear.

Hi Gary..........I did boost the background chords (and widened them).  I'm sure it will sound better with a female vocal, i'll keep bothering her.  Thanks for the listen!

s o n g s

Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:More Of You~ a trip-hop experiment 2011/08/22 03:54:51 (permalink)
    Hey, Rick,

How are you, buddy? Doing great, I hope!

This is a bit different than your usual stuff, but it was still very cool, and had your trademark "classy" Reckless Gents stamp on it.

The songwriting was cool and quirky, the vocals were outstanding as usual, and the instrument performances and mix were right on the money.  My only very minor nit, was that at some places I found the "clinky" keyboard hits a little abrupt and distracting from the rest of the song's smooth vibe.  Not really a showstopper, but it took my mind off of the actual core of the song in a couple of spots.  As always, that's just my personal opinion, and totally subjective.

Anyway, both the song and mix sound excellent, and I really enjoyed it, nice work, Rick!
    Bob

mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:More Of You~ a trip-hop experiment 2011/08/22 04:06:25 (permalink)
    Rick - cool to hear something out of the box from you! some cool little riffs and vocalisations here! i think the drum beat should be a bit more bassy and crackly, and i'd like to hear it a bit behind the beat...almost a slow pedal hihat type thing> just to make it more lounge-like.. be cool to hear it with femal vocals. very brave,very good!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1