A Song

Author
MetalTeK
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 199
2011/08/24 02:04:31 (permalink)

A Song

Okay.....after much trial and error and basic recording concepts......I think I have something presentable.  Forget my old post.  Unfortunately, once you put a song on "Soundcloud", the title is dead.  So, same song, different name.  I totally redid the guits, like 15 times, switched some arrangements and added some synth.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my dilemma.

Props to "Dreambliss", your comments were in my head the whole time I was mixing and mastering!

http://soundcloud.com/killglow
post edited by MetalTeK - 2011/08/27 18:17:55

5 Replies Related Threads

ProjectM
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3941
    Re:A Song 2011/08/25 06:09:13 (permalink)
    Wow man! This is almost clinically clean sounding metal! Really interesting. I think it needs vocals and wouldn't hurt with a few more details in the riffing. I also hear that some tom drums hits sound a little out there compared to the guitar rythm. But this is so clean and tight with no vocals so every little detail is in the open. I prefer a little dirtier guitar tone but that's a matter of taste. This song with vocals would be a kick ass tune! It already is The chrous part with the synth is great! I love it! Well done and keep 'em coming.

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
    Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    MetalTeK
    Re:A Song 2011/08/25 08:07:20 (permalink)
    Project M.......thanks man, I'm really flattered by your comments.  I totally agree with everything you said about the guitar sound (I'm running direct), that's a big problem at the moment. I'm still trying to dial it in.   Some of the guys had suggestions of some VST plug-ins on here, that I've been checking out.  Yea, the toms too.  I could've spent a little more time on them.   And definitely the vocals.  I wrote it with the intention of having vocals.  Usually, even though the song isn't long, people think it sounds repetitive with out vocals.

Anyway thanks again man.  Goin to check your stuff out.

ProjectM
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3941
    Re:A Song 2011/08/25 10:45:29 (permalink)
    No worries man! About calliing it clinical sounding - ever heard Fear Factory? Pantera? Not much grit their on their classic stuff. It was intended a compliment I usually use Guitar Rig or something like that. If I want some more balls I re-amp my studio monitors and that work surprisingly well. I haven't plugged a guitar effects unit into my soundcard for years. But of course, if I'm recording for release I re-amp it in studio with a real amp. It's the best. But your guitars doesn't sound bad here. They're heavy! Just really nice and clean

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
    Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    Maxprizm
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    Re:A Song 2011/08/25 17:20:58 (permalink)
    Not bad, nice metal groove.  I started out with the Pods and whatnot, the only one I've heard that is remotely convincing is the Fractal units but at $3G a pop you can just buy a Boogie setup that sounds better. This recording has that vst, direct guitar fizz, can of bees kinda sound in it. Despite all the marketing, the digital guitar unit stuff is still just not 'there' yet imo. You may want to look into guitar cab impulses, some of those are much closer to convincing, especially if you want to go direct.

I will note that some guys do get some pretty tones going direct but they've tweaked them quite a bit to find the sweet spot or run them through high quality preamps/mixers for some analogue goodness. Seems like more gain adds to the fizz as well.

I still have yet to hear a great guitar sound that was recorded straight direct though, including acoustics, they always have that plastic, quack kinda sound. 

The best sound is still Guitar/amp/mic/preamp interface. Hope some of this helps.

Ed Edge

MetalTeK
    Re:A Song 2011/08/26 20:46:41 (permalink)
    @ ProjectM - No man, I knew what you meant. And FF is/was one of my favorite bands so, yea i really appreciate that.

@Maxprizm -  Thanks for checking it out and chiming in.   Yea I totally agree with you on the guitar sounds.  It's just not happening for a few more years yet.  Like you said, I've heard some good sounds for the type of music they were doing but to get that really, really heavy, chunky, warm tone.........has to come from an amp.  Your right too about running direct , Gain=Buzz not distortion.  Like I said in another post maybe in Guitar Rig 5 or 6.
    post edited by MetalTeK - 2011/09/01 05:22:54

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1