Question About Drums for Songs?

Author
SeriousNoize
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12
2011/08/25 00:22:26 (permalink)

Question About Drums for Songs?

Perhaps I have been taking the wrong approach programing drums with Cakewalk Software, Session Drummer 2 and such. I just realized, and as dumb as this might sound, should I "FOLLOW THE MELODY"? Or should I follow the "RYTHM"? Or Both? Thanks in advance for any replies. Take care! Serious Noize!

17 Replies Related Threads

stillnotbanned
    • Total Posts : 37
    Re:Question About Drums for Songs? 2011/08/25 00:25:56 (permalink)
    "Perhaps you've been taking the wrong approach to life?" Perhaps you should post this in the techniques forum? 
    SeriousNoize
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re:Question About Drums for Songs? 2011/08/25 00:26:54 (permalink)
    I'm sorry, I can't see what you are saying.......... Uh, "BLOCKED" might have something to do with it. No offense meant. Have a nice day.
    stillnotbanned
    Re:Question About Drums for Songs? 2011/08/25 00:27:17 (permalink)
    Perhaps?
    stillnotbanned
    Re:Question About Drums for Songs? 2011/08/25 00:29:09 (permalink)
    I'm still looking  forward to posting those songs Bobby!! *or the person who called himself Bobby?

I'm really not sure how to address you?
    stillnotbanned
    Re:Question About Drums for Songs? 2011/08/25 00:30:51 (permalink)
    d-BAG is a pretty safe bet? Dime bag? 
    stillnotbanned
    Re:Question About Drums for Songs? 2011/08/25 00:32:32 (permalink)
    edited
    post edited by stillnotbanned - 2011/08/25 02:03:10
    MetalTeK
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 199
    Re:Question About Drums for Songs? 2011/08/25 04:03:39 (permalink)
    I am/was a drummer.  My train of thought is the follow the rhythm for the most part, especially in Rock/Metal.  Drums and bass stick together.  I think it is cool sometimes for the bass to go off and do something different from the guitars and the drums.  That's just my opinion.
    post edited by MetalTeK - 2011/08/25 04:05:13

ProjectM
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3941
    Re:Question About Drums for Songs? 2011/08/25 06:52:32 (permalink)
    Drums should follow the rythm. Always! That's my rule of thumb. And all rules should be broken In Jazz they never follow the rules, but that's their problem ha ha! Anyway, dums are the basic part of a rythm section so start there. If you find that it would be better going with the melody on certain parts then feel free to experiment. If it sounds good then it's good. If it doesn't, try something else

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
    Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    CK97
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re:Question About Drums for Songs? 2011/08/25 07:22:48 (permalink)
    stillnotbanned

"Perhaps you've been taking the wrong approach to life?" Perhaps you should post this in the techniques forum?
    I think in post #2 above the member was referring to the Techniques Forum. Scroll down to [Community] there, at the following link.

Techniques

Hi.

I'm a metal guitarist. To me the drums are the heart beat of the music. The drums drive the music. It makes or breaks the music.
    It's the drummer's creative imagination that creates the feel of the drive.
    I agree with MetalTeK in post #8 above that drums and bass are related and work well together.
    There are no rules in creative freedom. Experiment with both following the melody and following the rhythm and see what YOU like most.
    It all depends what kind of feel you want. For example, listen to the introduction bit of Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor (not the whole piece, just the first minute more or less).

Bach, Toccata and Fugue in D minor, organ

Then listen to it again and imagine drums following the melody only, played by the organ, without the drums keeping a constant beat, but instead the drums copying the melody exact.

Then listen to the first minute of Bach's piece again and this time imagine playing a constant beat while the organ is playing (like as if playing with a metronome that ticks away while Bach's playing the organ).

Two total different feels. It's a matter of taste.

I like it when there is more or less a constant drum beat going (bass drum, hi-hats and snare) and different cymbals accentuating accents in the melody (especially ride cymbals with faster melodies).
    Accentuating guitar powerchord rhythm accents with either bass drum, snare or toms at certain times can also sound really cool, 1) while the constant drumbeat is going, and 2) when no constant drum beat is going at certain times. The same applies to accentuating other instrument and vocal accents at times.
    post edited by CK97 - 2011/08/25 07:47:37
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:Question About Drums for Songs? 2011/08/25 10:39:43 (permalink)
    Try this;

Take a song with drums that you really like. Import it in to a project. Open up SD2 (or whatever you use) and try to recreate each part - kick, snare, hats, ride, cymbals etc, each on separate tracks. Really listen to the fills and break them down. It's a lot of work but it'll open your ears to what a drummer would do.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    vanblah
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 298
    Re:Question About Drums for Songs? 2011/08/25 11:09:41 (permalink)
    It really depends on the song, don't you think?  If you're trying to accent the melody then some rhythmic changes might work.  It depends on the mood you are trying to achieve.

For the main part of a song I'll set up a fairly consistent beat.  It doesn't have to be a metronome but it should be consistent.  For chorus endings or bridges I will sometimes accent the melody if the part warrants it (specifically, the rhythmic part of the main melody).  Sometimes, the exact opposite works.  I have a straight drum beat but the melody is syncopated.

There's really no one set of rules that is going to work for every song.
    Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:Question About Drums for Songs? 2011/08/26 22:30:06 (permalink)
    Hi Bobby,

I'm a minimalist when it comes to drums. I always follow rhythm. I can do almost any song with just a simple snare/kick, maybe a tom roll here and a cymbal crash/ride there. The trick is ... do a track with the Step Sequencer (or skip that step and use the metronome), then play along live if you have a drum pad of some kind. Step Sequencer makes minimalist playing sound very mechanical and it needs to have wabi-sabi.

I look at drums as they should be seen and not heard, like bass ... if you know what I mean. They are there, and missed if not present, but you should never really notice them too much unless you want to do a solo.

Adding some compression, EQ, and reverb to a snare can completely change the feel of it too. I always use the PX-64 Percussion strip on every drum separately. It's one of the greatest plug-in's Cakewalk has ever put out in my opinion.

If you want to listen, this song (the last one I posted here - I Only Have Eyes For You) it's just kick/snare/ride, but you really don't even notice the kick or the ride, but when I take it out, it's very empty. And, I probably put as much time in to the almost non-existent drums on this than I did the entire rest of the project.

Hope this helps.

Bub

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Question About Drums for Songs? 2011/08/28 19:58:34 (permalink)
    Either and/or both ways worked for me: Drums guiding the song or song guiding the drums.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:Question About Drums for Songs? 2011/08/29 10:28:17 (permalink)
    Hi Bobby,

I think you're talking about the character of the drum part as opposed to whether or not the beat guides the song.....i think???
    There's no doubt you need a drum/metronome/groove track to guide the song from the start...that's a must.

After you've put something in to play with that is keeping a solid beat then go back and choose your drums...listen for transitions and experiment with fills...or lack of.

I recommend trying things (as far as style, character) that you normally don't.   Sometimes there are nice surprises...sometimes not.

good luck!

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Question About Drums for Songs? 2011/08/29 10:58:13 (permalink)
    Follow the rhythm. If you try to follow the melody the drums will be weak sounding. 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Question About Drums for Songs? 2011/08/29 11:30:19 (permalink)
    The leader of our band took the shaker away from one of the BGV singers because she was shaking to the beat of the melody. 

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Question About Drums for Songs? 2011/08/29 13:29:29 (permalink)
    Beagle

The leader of our band took the shaker away from one of the BGV singers because she was shaking to the beat of the melody. 

+1: Ha ha!

Everyone has that problem around here!  'Twould be nice if they'd invent a tamb that misses the 1st beat when one smacks it.  Like all instruments, tambs and shakers are tricky to compose with and perform, IMHO.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1