What a difference a dame makes…

Author
MannyNY
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 732
2011/08/25 20:20:49 (permalink)

What a difference a dame makes…

Yes, horrible pun. Earlier this year I recorded a song called Ducky – struggled with the arrangement and vocals, had a someone come in and sing it and she was even worse than I was and basically just wanted to be done with it. I posted it and put it in  my “done, time to move on column”. I always felt I gave up too quickly because in my head, the song sounded better, different and not at all like what I had recorded. So, a few weeks ago I find that a high school friend of mine has a daughter that sings – I heard her CD and she was quite good, I approached them and she agreed to sing it for me. Back to square one. Just having purchased X1, I decided this would be my intro. I started all over, same music (chords, melody and words) but I made it more up tempo, less “dark”  and played it with a more positive attitude. I am pretty happy with the results. Now I can move on.

At the risk of a committing the double posting faux pas, I submit Ducky – my take on the ugly duckling. For those without the energy pr patience to revisit – I totally understand.

http://www.onlytheunusual.com/MannyYtuarte/NewTune/Ducky.htm
post edited by MannyNY - 2011/08/25 20:23:00

12 Replies Related Threads

Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:What a difference a dame makes… 2011/08/25 20:26:26 (permalink)
    I think she did a great job and this is quite nice song! :)
    Maxprizm
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    Re:What a difference a dame makes… 2011/08/25 22:39:42 (permalink)
    Very cool tune Manny, love the verses. I kept wanting to hear the "too" resolve on the major chord but that may be my pop influences getting in the way. If she is high school I'm sure she can somewhat identify with the subject matter. Great writing, and I love her tone. Good stuff!
    post edited by Maxprizm - 2011/08/25 22:41:25

Ed Edge

No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:What a difference a dame makes… 2011/08/25 22:45:13 (permalink)
    Hey Manny, 

That was a pearl.  Rorie was perfect with it.  You stayed with your intuition and it was right on.  The patchwork of rythyms between the acoustic, the electric and the bass is instantly captivating....(bass playing is outstanding). 
    To hear this idea move through it's embryonic movements over the monthes and then hear this is a kind of documentary on the birthing (and work) of a beautiful song. 
    Thanks for posting.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:What a difference a dame makes… 2011/08/26 08:08:43 (permalink)
    Nice job on the writing. This is the kind of song with a message that can go places. 

I'm listening on my computer speakers ... so I might be a bit off on my take of this. 

It sounds like you could run melodyne on the vox track to bring those slightly, ever so slightly, flat vocals up to the pitch. Even good singers, and yeah man, I like her voice, have a bit of difficulty sometimes singing it exact in a studio.  

Do some mastering on it too to bring out the sparkle.... it sounds like it's too subdued sonically. 

It's a good song.... but it needs a bit more work....

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    MannyNY
    Re:What a difference a dame makes… 2011/08/26 18:50:02 (permalink)
    Janet – thanks for the kind words and your time – Rorie was super and she really made my day with her vocal. 

Ed – I know how the odd sync “too” can be a bit strange, but there’s something about it that I liked all along (even my crap vocal did that). I do appreciate the positive input – thanks.

Rick – he returns for a second listen! Thanks so much and clearly you remember the first effort (hey, I guess you figured it couldn’t get any worse). I also like the”bounce” to this – reminds me of kids skipping rope in a school yard.
    Herb – kids can be cruel – that’s for sure. I’ve seen plenty of it. I don’t think you’re off at all, you’re always accurate as far as I can recall. I just can’t get the mixing thing together. I’d tried the melodyne app once and it was a frustrating experience.  As far as mastering, it’s another example of how inept I am with this software – I just fade it and add some boost – I have zero engineering skills. I do appreciate the input – maybe I will try another mix using Ozone (which I do have, but I have no idea what to do with it).

post edited by MannyNY - 2011/08/26 19:05:17
    MetalTeK
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 199
    Re:What a difference a dame makes… 2011/08/26 21:22:08 (permalink)
    Yep....good stuff.  I really dig the female vocals.  I always prefer female vocals even in the Heavy stuff I listen too.  Your music's very well written too. Nice song. 

I'm always reluctant to critique someones music because some people are "touchy" about that.  But I assume that's why they put it up here. 

So, I just think the snare sound is a little weak, seems like it disappears sometimes.  And, I'm not a fan of the Harmonica.  To me, it makes the song sound dated.  But that's just my opinion and everyone's got one.  Overall though, Great Tune man!

Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:What a difference a dame makes… 2011/08/27 13:43:42 (permalink)
    Intro feels a bit stiff (canned) for the impossibly magical song and sweetest inspiration that follows (iows, I'd shorten/delete the intro or change it)

Song + vox inspires, redeems, exhorts with great love and innocent hope.

10/10 both for heartbroken girls and us lovers who've been used.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:What a difference a dame makes… 2011/08/27 19:14:54 (permalink)
    Sounds fine on my PC speaks. The vocals are a bit pitchy (flat) though.

String Jammer
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:What a difference a dame makes… 2011/08/28 06:54:22 (permalink)
    Hi Manny, this is really nice. It has a lovely light touch which works so well with the melody. The singer's very good, nice work getting her on board. Sounds quite current, I could imagine this being a 'hit' (whatever that means )

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    drumstixkev
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2709
    Re:What a difference a dame makes… 2011/08/28 11:08:37 (permalink)
    Hey Manny,
    Only you can make a harmonic work so well with an electric drum kit. Love the arrangement and flow of this piece.  I think you have found the perfect voice for this arrangement. I agree with James a very current sounding, radio friendly tune.    KUDOS!

Kev
    post edited by drumstixkev - 2011/08/28 11:10:20

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

Bert Guy
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1042
    Re:What a difference a dame makes… 2011/08/28 23:54:49 (permalink)
    Manny,

Real tasty pop tune, here. I like the accoustic funk arrangement with its fluid bass line (which is a hook in itself). Its cool the way the lyrics are wedded to the rythm/bassline. Real punchy.

Good stuff.

Cheers,

Bert

Silence is so accurate

http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=587673

MannyNY
    Re:What a difference a dame makes… 2011/08/29 09:03:18 (permalink)

Sorry for the late reply - had no power this weekend and was running back and forth in a bit of a hurricane induced coma (no power, water leaks in the apartment - fun stuff).
    MetalTek - you’re right about the snare - it doesn’t have much presence. If I remix I will try to bring it up front a bit.
    Philip - thanks for the feedback. I know the intro is odd but like popeye says, I am what I am - thanks for the thumbs up. “Innocent hope”, I like that.
    Scotty - both you and Herb mentioned this - I guess I need to learn something about pitch correction processing. I don’t really hear anything that is really off - just kind of “bent out of shape” in a teen angst sort of way. But as two of you hear, I should check it out - thanks.
    James - thanks for the positive words. I really am amazed how Rorie just waltzed in, casually sang and brought the song to life for me. I know she prepped at home, but it was such a pleasure to deal with someone that is a “natural” (I am an unnatural).
    Kev - harmonica and drum kit. Yeah, not for everybody but I like that way it came out (considering I don’t know how to play) I ordered the harmonica from Musician’s friend, it arrived and I started messing with it. Once I figured out which notes sound sort of ‘okay”, I just went with it. I know it’s poorly played but I like the lighthearted texture it adds. Thanks for checking it out and commenting.
    Bert - acoustic funk - I like it. I was thinking urban folk.  The bass came out good and I think you’re right - it carries the tune along. Thanks for commenting.
    post edited by MannyNY - 2011/08/29 09:10:11
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1