NASA Contest entry, Neo-classical Rock

Author
AsherLongley
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 683
2011/08/26 12:42:50 (permalink)

NASA Contest entry, Neo-classical Rock

Hi everyone!

So, last year NASA opened a contest where folks could submit a song for a chance to be one of two songs picked as "wake-up" music for the last crew of the Space Shuttle. I was absolutely thrilled at the opportunity and wrote Andromeda, a neo-classical rock instrumental.

This song is an instrumental journey through the exhilaration and peril of space travel, and reflects my life-long fascination and wonder of the Shuttle and its long-lived operation in space.

The song was not picked, however, as a finalist. I was not aware that they didn't want "Space Rock" as much as they wanted "Acoustic-Rock-a-billy-blues with vocals." Had I known their genre preference, Andromeda would have sounded much different!!! LOL

All responses are greatly appreciated, commendations and critiques alike.

Song Details, Instrumentation:

Guitars - Schecter 7-string Hellraiser electric
Bass - Ibanez 4-string electric
Drums - Cakewalk TTS-1, various sets (all hits individually programmed via the MIDI roll)
Synth - Various Dimension Pro and Z3TA+2
Robot Vocals - 2-channel of Vocoder with pitch shifter VST

"ANDROMEDA" http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10991036

Best Regards,

MJH

20 Replies Related Threads

mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:NASA Contest entry, Neo-classical Rock 2011/08/26 13:20:24 (permalink)
    think you did a great job to make TTS-1 sound half-decent! Kinda Devin Townsend meets Tony MacAlpine or something. I enjoyed the song itself. It sounds over bright but only listening on the laptop. I would love to hear this with some decent drum sounds (think EZD, Superior, Steven Slate etc), and a less fizzy guitar sound, as you have some good chops and a talent for cool little riffs and runs.

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:NASA Contest entry, Neo-classical Rock 2011/08/26 13:26:17 (permalink)
    Excellent job on the recording. 

Sounds good to me. 

Not a robot vox fan.... but I understand why it's there. 

nice playing. 

Oh yeah.. congrats of being in the finals.... !!

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    MetalTeK
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 199
    Re:NASA Contest entry, Neo-classical Rock 2011/08/26 20:34:49 (permalink)
    Really cool epic song.  I like how the first riff or two have that "anthem" sound, IMO.  Well written song, like all the harmonizing and stuff too.  Shame you weren't considered. 

Nice work!

geetsifly
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 192
    Re:NASA Contest entry, Neo-classical Rock 2011/08/28 10:19:36 (permalink)
    WOW the guitar playing on this track is really something. The scale (layers depth and largeness of sound) are awe inspiring. They should have changed the criteria for you ;)

Sonar Platinum / Windows 7 64 SP1 / Intel I7 / 12GB ram / RME Hammerfall 9632 Interface / BCF2000 Control Surface
    Lets connect on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/geetsifly or Reverbnation: http://www.reverbnation.com/geetsifly
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:NASA Contest entry, Neo-classical Rock 2011/08/28 10:24:11 (permalink)
    Good to see you Matthew, I was wondering where you'd gone. This sounds fantastic through my headphones, love the stereo fx. Lead guitars are just a little low in the mix perhaps? Love all the little details making up the groove, I'd like to be able to write something like this.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    AsherLongley
    Re:NASA Contest entry, Neo-classical Rock 2011/08/28 14:31:45 (permalink)
    MGH – I appreciate the Townsend and MacAlpine comparisons. I like to know what others think my music sounds like, so I can go check those folks out. It really was a challenge to get TTS-1 to sound dynamic enough, but it worked out great. With the right EQ, Reverb, and mastering, tin cans can sound fantastic!
    The over-brightness may be due to the laptop speakers. I also find that the original mix on my DAW sounds dramatically better than the MP3 derivative I am able to share via SOUNDCLICK.COM. Thanks for the mention of the “fizzy” guitars. That’s due in part to the reverb on the multiple guitar tracks washing over each other, and the conversion to MP3. Perhaps when I give “Andromeda 2.0” a go, the fizzy will get some TLC! LOL

GUITARHACKER – Thanks man!

METALTEK – I so easily gravitate towards “epic”. I love epic stories; epic music; epic food. Pretty much, life burns very hot for me. My music reflects that. I love “anthems” too.

GEETSIFLY – Thanks for listening! When I write music, I record one part, then listen to it. And listen, and listen and listen, then I start to hear the other parts (harmonies, bass, percussion, bridge, chorus) and that’s how all the layering is built. Like sculpting – I chisel away until it feels finished.

JAMES – It’s good to hear from you too James! I see that you’re still hard at work writing music with Larry. That’s great to see. I am on a mandatory hiatus from song writing, but I hope to dust off the DAW and get back to recording by this Winter or next Spring. I appreciate the tidbit on lead levels. Thanks for your feedback. I did quite a bit of research on MASTERING before I submitted this song. Mastering is a challenge, particularly with so many instruments competing for attention.
    CreatingNoise
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1666
    Re:NASA Contest entry, Neo-classical Rock 2011/08/29 19:49:14 (permalink)
    Matthew,
      That is some piece of music you have created.  A majestic, space rock opera type of thing.  Very well done and unbelievable how much stuff you managed to get in there.  I enjoyed it quite a bit.  That certainly could wake up some astronauts (as well as get them going on their daily exercise routine).  Nice stuff!  I thought the mix sounded great and I liked the various elements and how they interacted.  Very cool ending!
    Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:NASA Contest entry, Neo-classical Rock 2011/08/30 04:16:02 (permalink)
    Hey, Matthew,

Wow, this is really a dynamite work of very cool progressive rock!

Clever songwriting and arranging, excellent guitar playing, phrasing and tone, great synth choices and a nicely textured, full sounding mix.  I also really like the stereo effects and creative panning.  I do agree with James about possibly bringing up the guitar solos just a touch, but of course, that's always a personal choice.

Amazing job, buddy!
    Bob
    AsherLongley
    Re:NASA Contest entry, Neo-classical Rock 2011/08/30 19:26:08 (permalink)
    TONY - I was really shooting for a musical representation of the perils, imagination, and adventure the space program and activity in space represent and engender. I imagine what it must be like strapped to a franetic rocket on a minutes long ride into orbit. The senses must be reeling from the experience, with sounds and sensory input coming from every possible direction. Those ideas greatly contributed to the busyness and activity of the song, and the steady shifting and changing of melody and motif. Thank you very much for your encouraging comment!

BOB - Thanks for your expert guitarist feedback. I wanted this song to fly past the listener and wrap itself around the head over and over. YEAH! IT WORKED! I love unexpected panning and sounds. I'm glad you do too.  
    geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:NASA Contest entry, Neo-classical Rock 2011/08/30 20:10:28 (permalink)
    Hi Matt,

Wow, this is fantastic. I can't believe those are TTS-1 drums, haha!

Great composition really well played, arranged and produced.

The mix and effects sound great on my cheap headphones. Outstanding work!

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    AsherLongley
    Re:NASA Contest entry, Neo-classical Rock 2011/09/02 12:21:58 (permalink)
    GR - LOL Thanks! I tell you, the TTS-1 was a challenge to work with, mainly due to how limited the dynamic controls are, but I focused intensely on midi event velocity and manual variation of each hit so they would sound more organic and sound like they were performed by a human.

I spent hour upon hour listening to each section of the drum track, spotting hits that needed duration, velocity, and volume adjustments. I think what made the TTS-1 set sound as good as it does are the VST FX I applied to them, particularly the stereo track splitting and FX sends I have applied to the drum kits. I think the tracking I used could make a duck fart sound ready for the Super Bowl. (sorry, that's just way to funny to me!) LOL *the crowd goes wild!*

Thanks again for the nice words.

Best Regards, Matthew
    post edited by AsherLongley - 2011/09/02 12:23:42
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:NASA Contest entry, Neo-classical Rock 2011/09/02 16:43:47 (permalink)
    I'd probably preferred your genre; tamed metal ... as this is 'feels' more adventurous (to me).

Contests are great (though I've entered many and lost them all); usually the best aren't the best and the worst not the worst, etc. ... and keeping up with fads and paradigms (and other players) is challenging.

For intro ('wake up') and musical ambience (for motivation?), this feels 10/10 quality to me.  Much awesomeness here!!!

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:NASA Contest entry, Neo-classical Rock 2011/09/02 18:17:32 (permalink)
    too bad you didn't win, Matthew, but this is really cool!!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:NASA Contest entry, Neo-classical Rock 2011/09/03 18:31:56 (permalink)
    That was a pretty impressive undertaking, and an interesting mix of ingredients. It's certainly epic in size and scale. Real drums I think would really have taken it to another level, but it's still pretty ginormous. I like the little roundabout comeback at the end there :-)

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:NASA Contest entry, Neo-classical Rock 2011/09/06 16:43:56 (permalink)
    Very ambitious undertaking producing a tune of epic proportion.  It seems like you captured the feeling of space travel.  Remarkably inventive use of TTS and conglomoration of different elements.  Nice work.
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:NASA Contest entry, Neo-classical Rock 2011/09/07 06:08:59 (permalink)
    big...very big!..great work.... next time I'm off to space I'll take it wiff me ;)
    AsherLongley
    Re:NASA Contest entry, Neo-classical Rock 2011/09/08 12:47:45 (permalink)
    Thanks Philip. I can't tell you how surprised I was to listen to all of the Space Rock contest entries and find that they all sounded the same. Same instrumentation, same genre. It was kind of surreal. Certainly there is a style preference with either NASA, the contest judges, or astronauts. Well, I'll just have to get a radio transmitter, point it at the sky, and broadcast my song. That will get it into space, right! LOL I would love to see a video of clips from the history of space travel and the shuttle program put to this song. That or computer animated visuals. The song is so visual to me.

Thanks Beagle!

Dean, Thanks for listening. I have a tendency to look for a kitchen sink when I write music . How do you think a drummer would be able to improve on the song? I'm curious to know the reasons, as a few others have made similar comments. I programmed the percussion hit by hit, so don't know how the performance might translate to a human. Interesting thought though.

Philz: Thanks for the comment. That TTS has some potential for sure. I bounced around a few of my software drum kits, but kept gravitating back to the TTS. With the right amount of duration and velocity, you can get some good dynamics out of it.  
    Thepogue: Perhaps they could use "Andromeda" as rocket fuel for your next mission?! Thanks for the comment.

post edited by AsherLongley - 2011/09/08 12:50:52
    Maxprizm
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    Re:NASA Contest entry, Neo-classical Rock 2011/09/08 21:03:06 (permalink)
    Great composition, I'd say it definitely conjures images of space travel. Guitars are a bit fuzzy for me but very well played and arranged, Good stuff man, You gave that tts-1 a workout!

Ed Edge

vechung
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 818
    Re:NASA Contest entry, Neo-classical Rock 2011/09/09 12:41:28 (permalink)
    Wow!  Great job on everything.  It really sounds great and love the tune.  Great sound on the guitar.

http://www.soundclick.com/vicentechung
    https://soundcloud.com/thefoundandthelost

Vicente 

Sonar Platinum, Live 10, Motu 828, Ozone 7
    AsherLongley
    Re:NASA Contest entry, Neo-classical Rock 2011/09/09 15:02:36 (permalink)
    ED: "I knew a man named Ebenezer..." That song still plays clearly in my head. IMO it's one of the best written songs ever. Oh, yeah, about Andromeda.... Thanks Ed!! Yeah, several folks have pointed out the fuzzy. Good call. I think reducing the reverb duration may improve things.

Thanks Vicente!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1