best method/plug in for leveling out vocals

Author
rglessner
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 34
2011/08/28 20:14:10 (permalink)

best method/plug in for leveling out vocals

Using Sonar X1 Studio I have been recording my vocal tracks doing 5-6 takes on 1 track using layers, then muting/comping to create one "keeper" track which I bounce down to a new track. What is the best method/plug in to smooth out the peaks and valleys (gain-wise) on the keeper track, bringing up the lower vocals and taming some of the highs? I am aware that you can boost the gain on words/phrases in V-Vocal, and I have experimented with the Normalize feature as well. Neither method seems to produce a quick or favorable result. On my previous recording program (Cool Edit Pro) there was a plug in called Real Audio Compander that compressed the highs and expanded the lows to give me a relatively even (gain-wise) track - I am looking for a similar method in Sonar. Any tips/suggestions would be appreciated. I have all the plug-ins that came with X1 Studio as well as Izotope Nectar.

HP-500Y/Windows 7 64 bit/SONAR X1C/AMD Phenom II X6/Saffire 6/AT2035 mic/various Ovation and Alvarez guitars

www.rustyglessner.com 

11 Replies Related Threads

feedback50
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 564
    Re:best method/plug in for leveling out vocals 2011/08/28 20:27:22 (permalink)
    The abosolute best way (least artifacts) is probably via automation, although admittedly a lengthy process. In general, a compressor with a slow attack, moderate release and modest ratio (2:1) will get you started, provided the comp'd phrases aren't terribly dissimilar. As you rely more on compression, breaths, Esses, plosives, etc become more of an issue and require more attention. Waves has a vocal leveler plugin that's supposed to be pretty good, but I've not tried it.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:best method/plug in for leveling out vocals 2011/08/28 20:55:27 (permalink)
    A good vocal/mic technique to keep the level going in as consistent as possible is the first place to start. 

A good singer that knows how to "work the mic" and uses good techniques, will give you a very consistent and level vocal that needs very little in the way of riding the faders in the mix. 

Using envelopes will also be very useful in altering a word or phrase that is lower or higher then the rest of the track. 

Once you have the output level set by technique and envelopes, then and only then would O even consider using a compressor to reduce the peaks a bit..... always go easy on the compression levels.  Let it sound real.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:best method/plug in for leveling out vocals 2011/08/28 20:56:56 (permalink)
    I concur with feedback. Best way is simply a lot of work. Envelopes and such. That said, I have looked at the waves plug mentioned and it seems interesting. But, then again, I doubt if a plug would know what I want.
    I guess it all depends on how "right" you want it to be.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:best method/plug in for leveling out vocals 2011/08/28 22:35:20 (permalink)
    I use the VX64 that comes with Sonar.  It has a "compander" function that brings up the lows and compresses the highs.  But if you have a lot of variances in your clips you may have to do some envelope work.  I find that clip envelopes are the easiest to use for this type of adjustment, but it is additional work.  To avoid that extra step I'm always looking at the shape of the waves in my clips after I record a take, making sure that the volume is consistent, and using distance between me and my mic to adjust. 
    post edited by guitartrek - 2011/08/28 22:36:31
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:best method/plug in for leveling out vocals 2011/08/28 23:22:52 (permalink)
    Track w/ a high-gain preamp and have the singer backed off the mic.  Distance will "even"  out the levels some.

Automation. it takes a while, buy you'll soon get a feel for getting the average level up w/o paying too much attention to spikes.

High pass filter/EQ.  A lot of the energy is in the lower frequencies - hum, noise and rumble and even the bass in our voices.  Cutting this out wont damage the sound of the voices - even Barry White - clean the spectrum out for you kick and bass and allow

Compression/limiting the work more effectively.  Multi-band compression w/o the multi, since your comp ain't working on the bass end of things.  If you've done all the other steps it ought to be fairly easy to set the comp so you still have dynamics but they are squeezed into a smallish range and float where you put them, volume wise.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:best method/plug in for leveling out vocals 2011/08/29 00:34:33 (permalink)
    Start by getting each vocal track in the same approximate ballpark, using the trim (gain) control.

Apply a volume envelope and place nodes in between each phrase. Adjust them as needed to match volume across all phrases. This is a coarse adjustment only.

Identify any obvious big peaks or weak vowels that need individual treatment. Pay attention to "S"s that may need taming (see the dip in the volume envelope a

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:best method/plug in for leveling out vocals 2011/08/29 00:36:17 (permalink)
    WTF? The last 5 paragraphs of my post were chopped off. Jeez, it was pretty good, too, with pictures and everything.

Has anybody mentioned yet how crappy this forum software is?

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    rglessner
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 34
    Re:best method/plug in for leveling out vocals 2011/08/29 06:00:28 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the tips/replies. I am the singer and am pretty consistent with my mic technique, but inevitably if doing sevreral takes over the course of an hour or so some takes will be louder than others. I think the envelopes are probably closest solution to what I had in mind. I did check out the Waves Vocal Rider suggestion - that looks promising but not sure about the compatability with 64 bit. Thanks again everyone.

HP-500Y/Windows 7 64 bit/SONAR X1C/AMD Phenom II X6/Saffire 6/AT2035 mic/various Ovation and Alvarez guitars

www.rustyglessner.com 
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:best method/plug in for leveling out vocals 2011/08/29 10:26:30 (permalink)
    Bit,

the forum software crappy?  You mean how it shuts down after your 5 pp masterpiece.  Or trying to quote? Or ....

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re:best method/plug in for leveling out vocals 2011/08/29 11:22:50 (permalink)
    One easy approach is to mult the track.

Simply duplicate the existing track, then place a fairly hefty compression amount on the 2nd track. When you mix the 2 tracks together the compressed track will site really nicely in the mix but will sound flat/lifeless and take on a new color/tone because of the compression. The track without the compression will retain the life and tone of the original take (because it is an unprocessed original). Balance the two to taste. (EDIT: The Pro Channel compressor can do this on a single channel with the balance control, but I still find myself multing tracks. Old habits maybe?)

Vocal Rider is a great plug in but in order to use it to the fullest you need VST3 which Sonar does not support yet. You need to process it manually (without a side chain) and in that case - you might as well just use envelopes to do the job. (IMO)

I will agree with many of the other posts here though - it all starts with good mic technique.
    post edited by codamedia - 2011/08/29 11:24:56

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    Re:best method/plug in for leveling out vocals 2011/08/30 16:20:45 (permalink)
    Yeah good suggestions so far - I always try the easiest route first. And I've come to embrace the multi-comp/limiter approach. Don't try to make a single device do everything. Try a compressor with a fairly easy setting and then add a little heavier limiter right after it. Those two things working together usually produce excellent results for me. Which devices you choose are up to you. But it's been my observation that practically none of the bundled plug-ins that come with software are adequate for my needs. Look for the TLs-2095 or 3127 limiters (they are freebee VST devices and are awesome for free devices). The compressors that come with Sonar are probably ok as your first stage. Sometimes a hybrid approach is the only answer - using vol envelopes for the really nasty stuff.

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1