Helpful ReplyChill instrumental with piano, sax, strings, drums

Author
cwestmont
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 379
2011/08/28 22:38:20 (permalink)

Chill instrumental with piano, sax, strings, drums

Check it out -- hope you like it.  Let me know of ways it could improve.

Logos Ethos Pathos

My music:
Hummingbird Cinema (vocal tracks, covers and remixes)
Mosaic Manifesto  (remixes and instrumentals)
"If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying? If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying?"- Shantideva

One can acquire everything in solitude - except character. -- Marie Henri Beyle

Windows 7
Intel Core i7-4770 3.4 GHz
8 GigaBytes DRAM
Sonar X3
Roland QuadCapture
doncolga
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1519
Re:Chill instrumental with piano, sax, strings, drums 2011/08/30 19:44:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Sounds really nice.  I'd like more reverb on the snare drum.  Really nice when the sax comes in.  I'd also like some kind of short room reverb or something like that on the kick...just enough to hear the room  With no effect at all, it sounds really different than the rest of the instruments, which have generous reverb.  Nice tune!

HP Z220 Workstation I7 3770, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, Sonar Platinum, RME Multiface II via PCIe, JBL 4326 w/sub, AvanTone MixCubes
cwestmont
Re:Chill instrumental with piano, sax, strings, drums 2011/08/30 21:06:49 (permalink)
doncolga

Sounds really nice.  I'd like more reverb on the snare drum.  Really nice when the sax comes in.  I'd also like some kind of short room reverb or something like that on the kick...just enough to hear the room  With no effect at all, it sounds really different than the rest of the instruments, which have generous reverb.  Nice tune!

Don, that is really, really helpful.  I used dry Session Drummer 2 on the intro drums and then audio loops for the rest, and the sound timbre is very different, as you say.  It never occurred to me to put some of the SD2 drums through reverb as well, but now that you point it out, i'm like "Doh!"  Definitely will go back and do that. 

My music:
"If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying? If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying?"- Shantideva

Windows 7
8 GigaBytes DRAM
Sonar X3
Roland QuadCapture
doncolga
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1519
Re:Chill instrumental with piano, sax, strings, drums 2011/08/30 21:18:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
You may consider just putting a touch of ambience on the loops...not sure if the dry kick into the song is a loop by itself, but that's what stood out for me most to me.

HP Z220 Workstation I7 3770, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, Sonar Platinum, RME Multiface II via PCIe, JBL 4326 w/sub, AvanTone MixCubes
BretB
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 508
Re:Chill instrumental with piano, sax, strings, drums 2011/08/30 22:45:31 (permalink)
Stuff is great.  Had to listen to your whole list.  Nice work!

Sonar Platinum - A&H ZED R16 - KRK VXT4's - Yamaha DTXpress IV & Gretsch Catalina Maple kits

"Music is what feelings sound like"
https://soundcloud.com/bret575b
cwestmont
Re:Chill instrumental with piano, sax, strings, drums 2011/08/31 15:11:19 (permalink)
Thanks Bret.  Continuing to plug away...

My music:

Windows 7
8 GigaBytes DRAM
Sonar X3
Roland QuadCapture
cwestmont
Re:Chill instrumental with piano, sax, strings, drums 2011/08/31 21:10:52 (permalink)
doncolga

You may consider just putting a touch of ambience on the loops...not sure if the dry kick into the song is a loop by itself, but that's what stood out for me most to me.

Thanks Don -- I've done what you suggested.  Think it helped -- much more consistent now.  I'll definitely be able to use that in the future.  Thanks again.

My music:

Windows 7
8 GigaBytes DRAM
Sonar X3
Roland QuadCapture
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1