Playing multiple files sequentially

Author
jemogan
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
2011/09/07 14:56:43 (permalink)

Playing multiple files sequentially

My band has used Cakewalk files for years to add some midi backup to our band's sound - horns, percussion and strings mostly on certain songs.  Been doing it for years, and we're happy to be using Sonar Producer these days.  But often there's a delay while we go over to the computer, find the right file, load it and start it up.  I'd like very much to automate this a little so that after a file is finished playing, all it will take is a single keystroke to find/load/startup the next file according to some kind of pre-set choices (depending on our set list that night).  Of course the obvious solution is to put all of the files into one long midi file and start and stop it as needed, but this is totally impossible - we've been making these files for years, and every file is made with different instruments, different volume and velocity settings, different everything!  It would take me years to get them all into one useable midi file.  Does anybody have any ideas? 

4 Replies Related Threads

Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:Playing multiple files sequentially 2011/09/07 15:14:00 (permalink)
    Not sure about how to do this with Midi But if it were me I would convert the Midi files to audio and then use Winamp to make a playlist. Then you could play any song in the list with the click of the mouse.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Playing multiple files sequentially 2011/09/07 15:49:43 (permalink)
    I thought Cake had that feature..... I'd have to look... but I think they called it a jukebox or playlist or something like that. 

I'm not at the DAW right now but yeah... I think it's in there. 

F1 brings up the help. 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:Playing multiple files sequentially 2011/09/07 16:09:16 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

I thought Cake had that feature..... I'd have to look... but I think they called it a jukebox or playlist or something like that. 

I'm not at the DAW right now but yeah... I think it's in there. 

F1 brings up the help. 

It's in the Help file but I think it's left over information from a version prior to 8.5. If there's a playlist view or playlist toolbar in 8.5 I sure can't find it. So I guess it depends on which software version the OP has.
    jemogan
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re:Playing multiple files sequentially 2011/09/07 16:51:05 (permalink)
    Making them into audio files (whatever kind..) and then just playing them is an option we've discussed many times.  We've turned most of our midis into audio files and we carry an MP3 player with us as a backup device to play them with, just in case the computer crashes.

We are reluctant to do that as our primary device because we make a big deal out of "Bruce the Computer" on stage, and we feel that a properly displayed midi file, which the audience can see, going by in Cakewalk makes a much better display than Windows media player.  It also helps us convince people that Bruce isn't just a Karaoke machine, which he kind of is.

All of the help files I can find with 'playlist' in them refer to Publisher, which of course isn't any help at all.  And I can find no reference to 'jukebox.'

I was actually hoping for a non-Cakewalk idea/solution - something along the lines of a Windows macro that would fire up and play the next file in a list.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1