New Metal Song

Author
MetalTeK
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 199
2011/09/24 20:34:35 (permalink)

New Metal Song

This song style is obviously a blatant rip-off of Fear Factory, but really nothing like my first song.  I'm not really sure what direction I musically want to go in, so I'm just kind of experimenting.  I don't think this song sounds as good quality wise as my first.  All I did was change my guit sound a bit and everything turned to mud as far as mastering goes.

I also switched from Soundcloud to Revernation.  RN just has way more options.

Anyway the song is "Grey Goo Ecophagy",  if you have time to listen to both, I would love to hear your opinion on which genre you think is better.  Of course, any tips, feedback negative or positive is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
MetalTeK

8 Replies Related Threads

ChuckC
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1488
    Re:New Metal Song 2011/09/24 21:35:44 (permalink)
    I think the drums and guitars sound pretty good on grey goo, however if there is a bass guitar in there I can't make it out.

Same thing on forgotten dreams...  I can tell the guitar tone is different & I like it better on the 1st song than this one, it also sounds lke the guitars are really out in front of the drums.   Nice drum work though!

ADK Built DAW, W7, Sonar Platinum, Studio One Pro,Yamaha HS8's & HS8S  Presonus Studio/Live 24.4.2, A few decent mic pre's,  lots of mics, 57's,58 betas, Sm7b, LD Condensors, Small condensors, Senn 421's,  DI's,  Sans Amp, A few guitar amps etc. Guitars : Gib. LP, Epi. Lp, Dillion Tele, Ibanez beater, Ibanez Ergodyne 4 String bass, Mapex Mars series 6 pc. studio kit, cymbals and other sh*t.
    http://www.everythingiam.net/
    http://www.stormroomstudios.com
    Some of my productions: http://soundcloud.com/stormroomstudios
    Basradaem
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 422
    Re:New Metal Song 2011/09/25 15:39:02 (permalink)
    Sounds Killer dude.  I dig both songs.  Although the mix needs to be better balanced in both.  Some EQ should help as well... IMO cut some of the mids from the guitars.

Luke Sarro
    --------------
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit on Windows 10 x64 

MetalTeK
    Re:New Metal Song 2011/09/26 23:00:29 (permalink)
    @Chuck, thanks for checking it out.  Yea, I know what you mean about the bass.  I really like that low end booming bass in Rock/Hard Rock etc., but it seems to mud everything up in the faster stuff (for me anyway).  I'll definitely work on that on my next song.

@Luke, thanks a lot man.  I ran direct on the first song. I recorded a crappy amp w/mic on Grey Goo.  While I thought the guit sound was better, it made mixing and mastering a nightmare.  I didn't hardly do anything to the first song when I mastered it.  I spent less than 2 days mix/mastering.  Grey Goo took me over 2 weeks.
    I think it's back to the drawing board for the guitar sound. 

Thanks again (a lot) to both of you for checking out my stuff and voicing your opinions.

Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:New Metal Song 2011/09/27 12:51:05 (permalink)
    I could never get into this kind of metal.

The second tune the guitars are more defined but overpowering as opposed to the first tune where it's difficult to tell what their doing. You said you recorded the guitars direct. I never like amp sims because they just sound lifeless to me. I think they sound better though when you just use a clean or distorted amp and no other effects at all with them.

I like the low end umph you have but the bass is buried. A high pass filter on the bass around 80 to 100 hz, you'll have to play with it so the bass and bass drum don't phase, will help. Your probably getting that umph with the guitars though. Again, a high pass filter starting around 150hz and move it up or down until it's not over powering the bass.

They music sounds good but I'm no judge here since I don't really like that style to much. Great playing for sure!

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:New Metal Song 2011/09/28 01:23:06 (permalink)
    Alas: Ultracompression seems unnecessary, as it forced me to slam down the volume twice to protect my ears from high freq ear damage.

MGH can comment better; I detect excellent and symphonic performances hiding in this.  I could only get through 2 minutes.   I loved the ambient element you have lurking behind all the white noise.

I will gladly listen again if you pm me ... after resolving the clipping and ultra-compression issues.

Thank you for your patience with me.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    bandontherun19
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    Re:New Metal Song 2011/09/28 01:36:42 (permalink)
    Well, it's rock and roll?
    post edited by bandontherun19 - 2011/09/28 02:22:43
    mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:New Metal Song 2011/09/28 04:58:05 (permalink)
    Seems pretty good to me, but only able to listen on the friend's PC on tiny speakers so i can't really make any specific comments to the mix. will try and have a listen on my own system when i get home Friday. You have the tightness between guitars and drums down, and the keyboard flourishes work. As with others, this style of metal never really appealed to me, the only thing I liked was the first Fear Factory album...their subsequent work and bands like Cubanate, SYL, Godflesh etc never really did it for me. I guess i like more melody, technical stuff etc

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    MetalTeK
    Re:New Metal Song 2011/09/29 06:36:39 (permalink)
    First I wanna say, when I listen on my PC and then, the same file I u/l there is quite a bit of quality loss for some reason and almost sounds staticy.  I was on Soundcloud, now on Reverbnation and they both do it.

@Guitarpima: Yea the 2nd song "forgotten dreams" was direct.  The first is was amp.  And I agree with you on amp sims.  The guit sound I think is where my problem is.  And, agree with you on the bass too, its basically non-existent.  Even though u don't prefer this kind of music, I appreciate you cheking it out and sharing some of your knowledge.

@Phillip:  You think it's ultra compressed, I get that part.  The other statement just sounds like a smart ass comment to me, so I don't really know what you mean.  Thanks for the comment though.

@bandontherun:  Again, sounds like a smart ass comment.  Are you asking if it's rock and roll?  I would call it Metal, but that's just me.  Elvis doesn't really come to mind when I listen to it.  Anyway, thanks for the question.

@mgh: Thanks for checking it out even though you also don't care for the style.  If you get a chance on your rig...I'd love to hear any insight you might have on the mix and whatnot.

Much Thanks To Everyone For Taking The Time To Check It Out,
    MetalTek

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1