looking for a work around for recording while using headphones problem

Author
7-string_guy
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 430
2011/09/29 16:23:00 (permalink)

looking for a work around for recording while using headphones problem

The albums going great..so now it's time for some vocals... The problem is : I can't sing in pitch while wearing headphones. no matter how many times i try, it sucks. SO I tried, one headphone, --better, but no way.. So I stood between my monitors and took a take (turning down most parts), and i do a great job, i hear myself perfectly, its sounds killer but with bleeding from the monitors. at least i was dead center for phasing...but... crisis.... any thoughts?

I7 2600k 3.4g on a ASUS MB with 16 gb of ram
FireFace 400 AI / Sonar 8.5 Producer / ToonTrack Superior Drummer 2
Alesis M1 Active MKII / Ibanez 7 string / Fender Super-Sonic
Schecter studio 5 bass / Boss Dr. Rhythm 880 , also Yamaha DTX full rack drum pad trigger system

21 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:looking for a work around for recording while using headphones problem 2011/09/29 16:48:05 (permalink)
    Some people find it hard to sing in tune with headphones.... that is the recommended way to do it. 

Cans let you crank the volume. Using open monitors with a mic in the room can easily create comb filtering in the final mix and is just not a good way to record vocals. 

I would suggest using the headphones and perhaps VVocal or Melodyne to fix the pitchy parts. 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    IK Obi
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1549
    Re:looking for a work around for recording while using headphones problem 2011/09/29 16:55:34 (permalink)
    Actually you can record a dynamic mic on a stand and use the monitors instead of headphones. Then record the song again without vocals, leaving the mic the same as before and flip phase on the two tracks leaving you with just vocals. If done right that is.
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:looking for a work around for recording while using headphones problem 2011/09/29 17:53:30 (permalink)
    Hi 7 String Guy I have encountered this a few times with some artists. Firstly IK OBi's approach will not work that well. It is a good idea in theory but in practice I am not so sure.

I did explain this once before but I will attempt to do it again. You set up a microphone but put it into a figure 8 pattern. Make sure the side of the mike that is pointing away from you is pointing into a deader part of your studio.

You set up two small speakers on stands either side of the microphone but they need to be at the same height as the microphone and some distance either side of it eg 2 feet but the same distance either side is important. The speakers can be on a 45 degree angle so they are half way between pointing at you and the null points of the mike.

You parallel up the speakers so they are playing the same thing except wire one of them out of phase to the other. You feed out to them just the basics of the track ie some drums, bass and some chordal instrument. Keep the stuff in the speakers minimal. No solos or anything like that.

Record your vocals. Due to the deep null points in the mike and the fact the speakers are out of phase you will get very very very very little backing music on the vocal track. In fact you will be surprised how little and the backing can be reasonably loud when you are doing this too but experiment.

This is the best way to do it by far and it works a treat.

This is also great for recording a group of children too without headphones. Turn the speakers so they are facing the mike null points and put half the children either side of the mike. This is how you get a group of kids to record to a backing track and you don't want any backing track on the children vocal track.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:looking for a work around for recording while using headphones problem 2011/09/29 18:10:00 (permalink)
    Further to what Jeff was saying about setting up the speakers so one is inverted, take your track that you have stripped down as Jeff described, and then bounce it down to a Mono track. Clone that track. Pan one hard left, one hard right. Then just hit the phase flip switch on one of the tracks and your work is done. The same result can be achieved using buses, thus no bouncing required. I would prefer using buses.

Keep in mind that this technique will be more effective the deader your room is. Thus use plenty of acoustic panels to take out the reverb, or you will got more bleed and more of a bedroom sounding recording on the vox.

If you are going to use audiosnap on your drums or any of the parts you are using as backing for your recording of vocals, DO IT FIRST. If there is noticeable bleed, it will normally be masked by the rest of your music, but if you tighten the drums/music up further, you might get some weird phasey sounds coming off some instruments. Keep this in mind. It may or may not be significant.

I have personally never used this, but it should work well.

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:looking for a work around for recording while using headphones problem 2011/09/29 18:10:13 (permalink)
    IK Obi

Actually you can record a dynamic mic on a stand and use the monitors instead of headphones. Then record the song again without vocals, leaving the mic the same as before and flip phase on the two tracks leaving you with just vocals. If done right that is.

What an excellent idea!! And then bounce the two flipped phased tracks to a single track?

BTW, maybe the singer ought to stand in the same place whilst re-recording the music again, just to be sure the empty space does not some how affect the outcome of the resulting track?
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:looking for a work around for recording while using headphones problem 2011/09/29 18:14:03 (permalink)
    Jeff Evans

Firstly IK OBi's approach will not work that well. It is a good idea in theory but in practice I am not so sure.

With all due respect Jeff, this statement sounds like you've not tried it?

If you had said "But when I tried it it did not work"..... maybe I would have bought it hook, line and sinker.
    Jeff Evans
    Re:looking for a work around for recording while using headphones problem 2011/09/29 18:31:44 (permalink)
    Hi Bapu I should have clarified things a bit better I am sorry. I have spent endless hours trying things like this rerecording tracks, flipping phase and all sorts of things and really to no avail. It does not work that well. I think what Matt is saying is important and that is that the room needs to be pretty dead for this to work better. If you record the backing tracking a second time around without the vocals then how do you know that sound is going to bounce around the room exactly the same way the second time? You don't really so what you end up with often is making the backing track louder!

My approach works the best simply because there is so little backing track left on the vocals you can simply stop there and you don't have to do anything further! You can pop a downward expander on the vocal track in mixdown so any spill in between vocal phrases is also knocked out as well. While the vocals are present you certainly wont notice the backing because the ratio of vocals to the backing is so high.

It is also good to get the vocalist pretty close to the mike as well when you are doing this to really improve the vocal to backing track balance.

The only problem with my setup is you need the two small speakers up on stands and a mono power amp. I used mike stands to do it and also it is good if the speakers don't have a lot of top end coming out of them as well. If you have got quality speakers there patch an EQ in series with them and limit the top end that way.
    post edited by Jeff Evans - 2011/09/29 18:53:38

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:looking for a work around for recording while using headphones problem 2011/09/29 21:21:18 (permalink)
    You don't really so what you end up with often is making the backing track louder!

I have not tried the technique (but may do this weekend for interests sake) but I imagine that this would probably be the case. You might be able to eliminate the low end pretty effectively, but the high end is just FAR too complex for the two recordings to be considered similar and for reasonable cancellation to occur - at least as far as I can imagine.

In fact I will try this and post the results in a few days. As well as maybe the other method Jeff posted. Nothing better than a real simulation.

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re:looking for a work around for recording while using headphones problem 2011/09/29 22:13:06 (permalink)
    I used to have a really hard time singing with headphones. 
    It turned out to be a mixing/volume issue.  I stripped out most of the instruments, leaving just enough basic tracks to keep my relative pitch.  Very often i just left a little percussion, keys, and a rhythm guitar.  Then I carefully set the volume, EQ, reverb, etc specifically for THAT vocal mix.  It really helped a lot.
    After recording the vocal track, i'd then bring back all the instrumentation that was throwing me off.

It may not work for you, but it could be worth a try.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    Jeff Evans
    Re:looking for a work around for recording while using headphones problem 2011/09/29 23:26:44 (permalink)
    Slugbaby you are correct in what you say about keeping minimal things in the headphones (or speakers in this case) while you are tracking. But I believe the bass is a vital instrument to have present while you track vocals. They say it really helps to pitch against. (it can even be a tad higher than normal too) In your post you have left the bass out or did you forget that. Next time you are tracking vocals try putting in just bass, drums and a chordal instrument, you might be surprised.

Rain
    • Total Posts : 9736
    Re:looking for a work around for recording while using headphones problem 2011/09/29 23:54:14 (permalink)
    I always had issue tracking vocal w/ headphones - I'm always flat. In my case, bass doesn't help, it actually seems to make thing worst. That being said, I have a pretty low voice, so this may be less of an issue for anyone with a more "regular" type of voice.

I have to be very careful how much I let in. Dropping the volume and cutting back a bit on the low frequencies seem to help a bit. I sometimes add a guide track, basically just the melody on the piano, as a reference. Still, it's never easy.

When all else fails... Marry a singer and let her do the singing. That's what I'm doing. ;)
    post edited by Rain - 2011/09/29 23:55:50

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:looking for a work around for recording while using headphones problem 2011/09/30 05:26:18 (permalink)
    I read a tip somewhere, though I've not tried it yet, but it sounds promising.

The problem is that the signals in the cans drown out your "head voice"

So with the send to the cans at minimum, sing normally, then slowly increase the signal from the mic until you can hear yourself in the cans but also still able to hear your head voice.

Once you've got a comfortable mix in this stage, introduce whatever backing tracks are necessary for your audio cues. You'll end up with a much lower level in the cans (which is good for your ears anyway) and if you've set the levels up correctly, you'll hear your head voice which is crucial for maintaining pitch accuracy.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    RabbitSeason
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 201
    Re:looking for a work around for recording while using headphones problem 2011/09/30 10:29:42 (permalink)
    I agree with Rain - bass doesn't help.  And that seems insane to me, because I'm a bass player.  But honestly, if I'm going to nail the vocal, I need either guitar or piano.  I don't have an issue singing with cans.  My ability to suck is equal in all mediums.

Unfortunately, I have some video proof of me singing a consistent quarter-tone flat throughout entire songs.  I remember those gigs - I could not hear the guitar well enough.  If nothing else, I've got something educational to show my kids:  "Here boys, this is how you butcher a Lionel Richie ballad."

Computer: 2.5 GHz Core2Quad, 6GB, Windows 7 Home Premium, Sonar X1d, Edirol UA-25
    Instruments: Carvin 5-string bass, Ovation Acoustic, Parker P-38, Baldwin DG100 keyboard, Vito alto sax
    Toys: POD 2.0, Zoom RFX-1000
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:looking for a work around for recording while using headphones problem 2011/09/30 12:49:15 (permalink)
    +1 for taking the bass out of the headphone mix! Nothing hurts vocal pitch worse.

While you're at it, take out the low frequencies from the bass drum, leaving mainly the mallet click for timing. Eliminate anything that's not needed for rhythm or pitch cues. A single acoustic guitar or piano may be all you need for some songs. But mainly get those low frequencies out of the headphones, as they interfere with pitch perception.

A critical factor is the headphone level and the balance between the backing track and your vocal. Studies have been done, which revealed that when the singer hears too much of himself he tends to sing flat, and when he doesn't hear enough of himself he tends to sing sharp. Over the years I've brought headphone levels steadily down; it took a while to acclimate to the lower levels, but the result is less bleed and I hear more of my natural voice.

Having the right headphones helps a lot. The best ones are not necessarily the most accurate ones. I use the Sennheiser HD280Pro for tracking. It has terrible bass response, but in this application that's a good thing. It also offers isolation comparable to active noise-cancelling headphones so they're not only good for tracking, they're also the ones I carry with me on airplanes (since my in-ear monitors crapped out - again).

I have, in all honesty, never tried monitoring through speakers. It just seems like to much preparation. I like to sing when the inspiration strikes and my voice isn't too froggy. The headphones are dedicated to the vocal booth and hang on a hanger attached to the mic stand, so they're always ready to go.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re:looking for a work around for recording while using headphones problem 2011/09/30 13:37:11 (permalink)
    Jeff Evans

Slugbaby you are correct in what you say about keeping minimal things in the headphones (or speakers in this case) while you are tracking. But I believe the bass is a vital instrument to have present while you track vocals. They say it really helps to pitch against. (it can even be a tad higher than normal too) In your post you have left the bass out or did you forget that. Next time you are tracking vocals try putting in just bass, drums and a chordal instrument, you might be surprised.

Thanks Jeff.  I don't recall if I kept bass in or not.  Really, i think the important point is to minimize the clutter, and get a good frequency mix that doens't deflect how you hear your voice.
    Rain
    When all else fails... Marry a singer and let her do the singing. That's what I'm doing. ;)

I did that too.  Unfortunately she's an opera singer and doesn't appreciate the inflections and tonality required for pop/rock music.  It caused too many arguments and hurt feelings.  Neither of us wants to work together on a musical project again, our opinions are too different and stubborn. 
    Good luck with yours!

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    Rain
    • Total Posts : 9736
    Re:looking for a work around for recording while using headphones problem 2011/09/30 14:09:28 (permalink)
    Slugbaby
    Rain

I did that too.  Unfortunately she's an opera singer and doesn't appreciate the inflections and tonality required for pop/rock music.  It caused too many arguments and hurt feelings.  Neither of us wants to work together on a musical project again, our opinions are too different and stubborn. 
    Good luck with yours!

She's also an opera singer - coloratura soprano. But she also fronts a metal band and she's equally home singing pop, classic rock or doing the Nina Hagen stuff. It'd be hard to argue - and she'd win, anyway. lol

Glad to read that I'm 
    1: not the only one with intonation problems when I use headphones
    2: not the only one thinking that bass can lead to all sorts of problems.

As a matter of fact, whenever I work with cans, not necessarily singing, after a while, I sometimes completely "lose" the bass - like, I can't tell what key it's in, as if I suddenly become tone deaf. That's usually when I need to take a break - and maybe put a light low cut on the buss. 

So if I have to sing in tune, bass definitely isn't my reference.

post edited by Rain - 2011/09/30 14:10:58

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:looking for a work around for recording while using headphones problem 2011/10/01 07:02:16 (permalink)
    Rain

Slugbaby
    Rain

Good luck with yours!

She's also an opera singer - coloratura soprano. But she also fronts a metal band and she's equally home singing pop, classic rock or doing the Nina Hagen stuff. It'd be hard to argue - and she'd win, anyway. lol

Glad to read that I'm 
    1: not the only one with intonation problems when I use headphones
    2: not the only one thinking that bass can lead to all sorts of problems.

As a matter of fact, whenever I work with cans, not necessarily singing, after a while, I sometimes completely "lose" the bass - like, I can't tell what key it's in, as if I suddenly become tone deaf. That's usually when I need to take a break - and maybe put a light low cut on the buss. 

So if I have to sing in tune, bass definitely isn't my reference.

No, you're not the only one with intonation problems with headphones.  I struggled with this for years until I gave up and just started using the monitors and I just deal with the bleed.  the bleed is very minimal anyway.

I also don't like bass in my reference track.  Like bit, I tend to cut out everything except piano or guitar and drums - sometimes even just a good solid click track with a heavy "mallet" sound for the beat.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re:looking for a work around for recording while using headphones problem 2011/10/01 08:48:38 (permalink)
    Slugbaby

I stripped out most of the instruments, leaving just enough basic tracks to keep my relative pitch.  Very often i just left a little percussion, keys, and a rhythm guitar.  Then I carefully set the volume, EQ, reverb, etc specifically for THAT vocal mix.
    This doesn't just apply to vocals.  When recording any instrument by playing along to existing tracks, you don't want a balanced mix to work with.  Only include the things that provide well-defined timing and pitch cues.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    IK Obi
    Re:looking for a work around for recording while using headphones problem 2011/10/01 13:38:51 (permalink)
    Jeff Evans
    Re:looking for a work around for recording while using headphones problem 2011/10/01 17:27:42 (permalink)
    Hi there IK Obi that video is interesting indeed and it certainly shows that it can be done even in a more conventional way using a dynmamic microphone up close with the speakers behind as normal. Thats pretty low spill on the vocal track. My method works too and I have got even lower backing track spill than that. (almost inaudible)

Bass in headphones (or speakers) is interesting too as I see some here don't like having it in the mix while tracking. It's interesting that because when you research it a bit you will find many people also agree with me that it can be important. But I also agree with Dave too in that bass does not have to be booming and have all the low end stuff either. You can put a High Pass over the bass and set the cutoff higher so most of the deep stuff and boom is actually gone and what you have left is more mid range type of bass sound. It still contains pitch information and therefore is useful to pitch against.

With my approach to the speakers up on stands I used small speakers hence they achieved that HPF effect over all the music naturally.

IK Obi
    Re:looking for a work around for recording while using headphones problem 2011/10/02 12:49:38 (permalink)
    Yeah your technique is something I'm going to try the next chance I get :)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1