MIDI keyboards

Author
mountaingrizzbear
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2011/10/01 18:36:43 (permalink)

MIDI keyboards

Does the Cakewalk MIDI A-500S keyboards use my computers onboard sound card?

5 Replies Related Threads

tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re:MIDI keyboards 2011/10/01 18:43:53 (permalink)
    Use your soundcard in what way?

I haven't got one, but assuming its the same as all other MIDI controllers, then it connects to your PC by USB down which it sends MIDI (note: MIDI is not audio).

Software, such as Sonar, is then used to turn that MIDI into audio, generally by using a software synth. Sonar then outputs the audio to whatever audio interface/soundcard you point it at.

If you mean "can you use your PC's onboard soundcard", then answer is yes, but you may have problems with latency (a gap between when you play the note and the audio finally gets played by the soundcard), and with audio quality, especially if you record audio through an onboard card. They're generally cheap components with very noisy preamps.

A better audio interface, with ASIO or WASAPI, drivers is what most people prefer to use.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    DigitechDB
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:MIDI keyboards 2011/10/01 22:43:50 (permalink)
    (this is the same person who asked above question, but my account was hacked so i had to start over) Anyway, right now I am using a Digitech RP 355 and Music Creator 4 and I am having good luck (somewhat). I use the RP device to record and playback so I believe I am bypassing my computers sound card all together. I would like to upgrade and have a MIDI controller but would like to plug both the RP355 and the Cakewalk 500S into my computer so that after recording the MIDI the sound would come out of the RP...is this possible? The RP says it is USB 2x2 which I took to mean it could have two paths going in and two paths going out...I am relatively new to this and want to make sure I am on the right track to expand. I am sick of using piano roll to add drums, keys and other accompaniment...thank you:)
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:MIDI keyboards 2011/10/02 03:39:30 (permalink)
    A MIDI keyboard doesn't use a sound card as such. It will control a synth that can output to your soundcard. Either as a stand-alone synth or from within host software such as Sonar.

tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re:MIDI keyboards 2011/10/02 18:07:45 (permalink)
    This is a kind of generic answer as I don't have Music Creator (I use Sonar) nor the RP355. Having said that, assuming Music Creator works like just about every other DAW in this regard,so long as the RP355 shows itself to your DAW software as an audio device then things should work OK.

A MIDI controller will show in the software as a MIDI device. You select that device as the input to a MIDI track, with a synth as the output from the MIDI track and (assuming you're using software synths) the synth will then output from whichever audio device ("soundcard") you've told the software to use.

MIDI controllers don't use soundcards at all - they use MIDI interfaces, generally these days via a USB connection.

One thing I did notice while scanning the RP355 manual on Digitech's website is that it's a USB1.1 device - this may mean you get some latency problems (if there's no ASIO/WASAPI driver you are very likely to get latency problems - though some people find ASIO4ALL helpfull with audio interfaces without their own ASIO drivers).

USB 2 is generally considered better, though if you're ony using stereo (rather than multiple in and outs) you might get away with it. Only trying and seeing what happens will answer that question.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    DigitechDB
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:MIDI keyboards 2011/10/02 20:53:12 (permalink)
    Okay, I currently use RP's ASIO driver to play the audio out of the RP's balanced XLR's output. After about 4 tracks I get pops and beeps and dropouts. So I think if I used this cakewalk MIDI controller in one USB slot, and my RP in the other USB slot, I would be able to configure it so that the Synth that the MIDI is controlling will also play out of the RP and I will be a happy camper. Will doing this require more RAM? I currently have 3 GB. If I upgraded to a better sound card and used that instead of the RP would I notice better speed and quality? I am on a budget and slowly trying to create a respectful home studio...one piece at a time... every 6 months or so:) Thanks for the responses.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1