Dubstep sync changes

Author
GodsGuitar
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 84
2011/10/05 09:28:03 (permalink)

Dubstep sync changes

I'm trying to figure out how to change a wobble's sync time in z3ta+2. I've tried finding a way to do automation writing, routing the track through an audio track to record when i click it to change, I've tried adding 5 different wobble tracks and loading each one with a different sync time into the matrix. I can not for the life of me figure out how to do this. I'm sorry if this thread or a similar one has been posted, i've looked hard and didn't find anything (maybe i'm just really dumb or really blind?) Appreciate some advice Thanks.

14 Replies Related Threads

mattox82
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 173
    Re:Dubstep sync changes 2011/10/05 11:19:43 (permalink)
    Are you talking about the speed of the wobble?

Pineapple Lounge Records

X1 Producer Expanded | Reason 6
    GodsGuitar
    Re:Dubstep sync changes 2011/10/05 14:44:17 (permalink)
    yes
    OQ
    • Total Posts : 87
    Re:Dubstep sync changes 2011/10/05 17:46:47 (permalink)
    LFO speed?
    GodsGuitar
    Re:Dubstep sync changes 2011/10/05 17:57:12 (permalink)
    I can click with my mouse and change it, as i said up top, but it won't automate those changes or save them in any way in the project. I know people do dubstep with sonar, esp with z3ta(+2), how? is my question... I've got a good wobble sound, I just need to be able to have all of the speed changes in the project
    OQ
    Re:Dubstep sync changes 2011/10/05 18:07:36 (permalink)
    There is no automation envelope for LFO speed? Moving the knobs with write enabled track does not work?? Let Me know -may have to investigate that.
    GodsGuitar
    Re:Dubstep sync changes 2011/10/05 18:31:21 (permalink)
    "I've tried finding a way to do automation writing, routing the track through an audio track to record when i click it to change, I've tried adding 5 different wobble tracks and loading each one with a different sync time into the matrix." Again, what i've tried. The speed parameter does not go very fast at all, maxing out a little over 1/2 notes. The sync option is how i'm getting it to go faster, unless there's another way. The speed parameter also does not sync to any time, it's free flowing and hard to get exact.
    rmfluzon
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 107
    Re:Dubstep sync changes 2011/10/05 18:50:39 (permalink)
    GodsGuitar

I can click with my mouse and change it, as i said up top, but it won't automate those changes or save them in any way in the project. I know people do dubstep with sonar, esp with z3ta(+2), how? is my question... I've got a good wobble sound, I just need to be able to have all of the speed changes in the project

Are you  wanting to automate the LFO speed slider (time in hz, I think) or the sync time setting (1/4 notes, 1/8 note triplets, etc)? You can create an automation envelope for either, an envelope for the sync time settings would be the most precise way to keep the wobbles and changes in wobble speed in time with the song.

To create an envelope, go to the edit filter for the z3ta+ track and choose automation>z3ta+, you'll have to hunt around the popout menus for the LFO sync parameter for whichever LFO you are using (z3ta+, like most high-powered synths, has a ton of automatable parameters). You'll then have to play around to find the envelope values that correspond to the correct sync time settings, if you're not familiar with envelopes and editing them, check the help files. You probably want to use the "Jump" segment shape for this purpose (discreet value changes).

Another way to do this would be to dispense with the z3ta+ LFO altogether and use the draw shape tool to draw an LFO-like automation envelope for the parameter you want to modulate directly (filter cutoff wobbling, for example). I know a lot of dubstep producers use this method in various DAWS, because it gives more precise control and conceptually takes the "wobble" out of the synth patch itself and makes it more part of the arrangement of the song. BTW, I just tested both of these in z3ta+ 1.5 and they both work fine, I imagine the functionality is about the same in v. 2

There are  other ways to  do this (as OQ says, you should be able to record automation directly as well).

If I wasn't doing this I'd just be doing something else...

Robert Fegley at ReverbNation
    OQ
    Re:Dubstep sync changes 2011/10/05 19:09:31 (permalink)
    I think if you want to automate by the plug in knobs on zeta then you have to turn on the W button in the top write hand corner of the zata interface. If you chose to draw it in you can use the automation filter in the instrument track itself (as stated above) or even draw it manually with the smart tool envelope draw tool. It's very fexible. Not trying to promote but you can see video tutorial in sonar explained. Will cost you a little bit though. Automation filter is where you see "clips" displayed on the tracks panye-but you have to cascade down quite a bit to find the exact parameter your looking for. Truely it sounds like your main problem stems from the way things are routed in the mod matrix of zeta-you may have to make changes there to get it to function the way you like. ITS SO VAST...I LOVE IT.  
    OQ
    Re:Dubstep sync changes 2011/10/05 19:12:44 (permalink)
    Oh you can also right click on the W in zata interface and chose the specific parameter you want write enabled instead of making them all enabled. 
    GodsGuitar
    Re:Dubstep sync changes 2011/10/06 01:38:21 (permalink)
    right clicking the W worked, i didn't know i could do that! I was looking for the parameter in the automation view in the tracks and it wasn't there, this was definitely a longer list and sure enough i found it. Thanks for your help!
    bladetragic
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 503
    Re:Dubstep sync changes 2011/10/06 03:23:24 (permalink)
    Side question: is there a trick to get the automation envelopes to show only the sync values (1/4, 1/4T, 1/8, etc.) only, rather than percentages? It gets annoying trying to find the exact value when it shows both b/c it's hard to tell where you really are.
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Dubstep sync changes 2011/10/06 05:26:44 (permalink)
    bladetragic

Side question: is there a trick to get the automation envelopes to show only the sync values (1/4, 1/4T, 1/8, etc.) only, rather than percentages? It gets annoying trying to find the exact value when it shows both b/c it's hard to tell where you really are.

I don't think so.

Many's the time I've wondered exactly the same thing.

Maybe put in a feature request?

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    OQ
    Re:Dubstep sync changes 2011/10/06 11:07:38 (permalink)
    If you going to be exacting (bladetragic) I would draw it in with automaton envelope so the nods would represent an exact value. Just remember when you cascade down in the automation filter the names you see do not represent categories they are just chunks of all the parameters broken up aphabetically; thats probably why gods guitar could not find the automation envelope b/c there is a billion perameters but if you do not know how the perameter is listed you will not know how to search for it. Also you can write click on any knob in X1 and write enable automation for that control and automate the function. hope it helps
    Josh Langberg [Cakewalk]
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 136
    Re:Dubstep sync changes 2011/10/06 14:08:13 (permalink)
    Bristol_Jonesey

bladetragic

I don't think so.

Bristol_Jonesey

bladetragic

I don't think so.

Hello,
    Did you know that you can now shift+right click on any of the sync functions, or any function in the drop down parameters of each section of the synth to MIDI learn?
    I believe that will solve your sync issues and you can wobble that bass to your hearts content :)
    Hope that helps!
    Have a good one,

-Josh Langberg
    PM/QA Lead Engineer, DSP Team
    Cakewalk, Boston

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1