Mackie Control Surface & X1 PC

Author
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
2011/10/07 13:23:56 (permalink)

Mackie Control Surface & X1 PC

While there's a few CW staff around is there any news, good or bad on an update to the Mackie dll? At the moment control of any thing in the Pro channel with the exception of the EQ is 'invisible' to the MCU. It doesn't even see them as plugins.

Add to that several of the key presses no longer work at all or have had their function changed the Mackie needs a little TLC? Is that on the cards or has it been forgotten about?

I've put at least one feature request in but of course have no idea whether it's ever likely to be implemented.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

17 Replies Related Threads

osd
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 345
    Re:Mackie Control Surface & X1 PC 2011/10/07 13:40:50 (permalink)
    Sign me up for this one, been riding the Mackie love on a BCF thanks to FBB.     

i7-870 2.93Ghz, 16GB RAM, Radeon HD 5770 + 2 x DisplayLink w/ 4 x 22" screens, Intel SSD 80GB, Sonar X1-D Exp.
    -
    Problems?
    How's your latency?
    What processes are running?
    Driver crash?
    SilverfoxUK
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 257
    Re:Mackie Control Surface & X1 PC 2011/10/07 13:57:38 (permalink)
    +1000

X3 64bit (final update)
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    Gigabyte SKT-1155 P67A-UD5 B3    
    Intel i5 2400 Sandybridge Quad core    
    6 GB Corsair RAM
    V-STUDIO 100 (Driver 1.50)
    M-AudioAxiom 49
    Korg PadKontrol
    BCF2000 

Willy Jones [Cakewalk]
    Cakewalk Staff
    • Total Posts : 751
    Re:Mackie Control Surface & X1 PC 2011/10/07 15:33:56 (permalink)
    If there is and I can't find it I apologize - but if you haven't already would someone mind filling out a problem report listing all of the things that do not work correctly as well as all the things that you would like to see?

If there is already one shoot me a PM with the CWBRN and I'll take a gander.

Also - is anybody out there using a C4, is it a similar story there as well RE: ProChannel?  Is Mackie even making that still?

Thanks,

Willy Jones 
    Cakewalk
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    Re:Mackie Control Surface & X1 PC 2011/10/07 16:57:15 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply Willy. I'm on it. I put it in as a feature request rather than a bug report so I don't have a CWBRN number.

I'll list everything I can find and put it all in one bug report.

Thanks again for the reply, I know there are many on here using the Mackie protocol who'll be very grateful for an update.
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    Re:Mackie Control Surface & X1 PC 2011/10/07 19:09:25 (permalink)
    Ok here's my bug report just submitted - CWBRN 6309

Multiple Bugs when using the Mackie protocol with an MCU

1. Connect an MCU to Sonar using the Mackie Control Surface Preset
    2. Preset setting in properties box not recalled when first loading. I need to open the Mackie Surface properties box each time I open SOnar and load my chosen preset
    3. Prochannel modules not visible to MCU at all except the EQ. The compressor should be visible when pressing DYN, others when pressing "plugin"
    4. M1 + Mute - Does nothing
    5. Fit tracks - Does nothing
    6. Fit tracks + M1 - Does nothing
    7. Fit tracks + M2 - Brings up Track Manager
    8. Fit tracks + M3 - Does nothing
    9. Fit tracks + M4 - Shows All
    10. Next Window doesn't work on all windows especially Console, multidock, etc
    11. Read On/Off + M1 - Does nothing
    12. Undo + M3 - Does nothing
    13. Redo + M3 - Does nothing
    14. Up Cursor+Zoom+M4 - Does nothing
    15. Down cursor+Zoom+M4-Does nothing

EXPECTED

1. Works as expected except for the list provided.
    2. changes made and saved to be remembered
    3. the PC Compressor parameters should show when pressing the DYN button and other modules via the plugin button
    4. the mute button state data to be written as automation data
    5. all tracks to be fitted to TV
    6. all tracks hidden to become visible
    7. all selected tracks to be shown & all others to be hidden
    8. Show & fit selection
    9. All selected tracks to be hidden
    10. To cycle through all open windows
    11. To toggle faders on & off
    12. Undo last Zoom
    13. Redo Zoom
    14. Fit tracks to Window
    15. Fit Project to Window

ACTUAL

1. Preset setting in properties box not recalled when first loading. I need to open the Mackie Surface properties box each time I open SOnar and load my chosen preset
    2. Prochannel modules not visible to MCU at all except the EQ. The compressor should be visible when pressing DYN, others when pressing "plugin"
    3. M1 + Mute - Does nothing
    4. Fit tracks - Does nothing
    5. Fit tracks + M1 - Does nothing
    6. Fit tracks + M2 - Brings up Track Manager
    7. Fit tracks + M3 - Does nothing
    8. Fit tracks + M4 - Shows All
    9. Next Window doesn't work on all windows especially Console, multidock, etc
    10. Read On/Off + M1 - Does nothing
    11. Undo + M3 - Does nothing
    12. Redo + M3 - Does nothing
    13. Up Cursor+Zoom+M4 - Does nothing
    14. Down cursor+Zoom+M4-Does nothing

I have no idea whether multiple bug reports gives any more priority to fixes but the list is there for others to use/add to/delete if they so wish.

PS. There may well be a couple more but that's the ones I notice most.
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    Re:Mackie Control Surface & X1 PC 2011/10/11 15:40:09 (permalink)
    Just to add new discovery/workround. Fit tracks will work if the CV is the window with focus, but not if the TV has focus. How bizarre.

If any other MCU users who'd like to see a fix for the above problems could also kindly fill out a problem report it will help. The more there is the more likely it is to get a fix apparently. Thanks.

http://www.cakewalk.com/s...act/problemreport.aspx
    Lazyboy
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 28
    Re:Mackie Control Surface & X1 PC 2012/02/28 02:59:48 (permalink)
    Thanks for your response FBB.
    I did search on this before I bothered the board, so I've read a lot of your posts and have learned a lot already.
    Overlay is in place, but that would not effect SELECT keys anyway.
    I'm assuming from a starting position that I've got something hosed here, so I won't be doing bug report until my due diligence is excercised/frustration level hits redline.

Select buttons light on board when pressed, but have no effect on program. If I had something basic wrong, would sliders and pans work?

I've been using Cakewalk since DOS sequencer years. Currently running on a hand built dedicated comp I7 Sandy Bridge overclocked to 5.1 gig  with octacapture. Everything has been dead stable from the beginning, and for months now. I just missed having a control surface. Used SI-24/RPC for years. Total lack of Roland support for that is not comforting me now that they own Sonar. They pretty much told me they'd "moved on" 9 months after I'd bought the damned thing new.

Usually just solve my own problems by reading and beating my head against it till it gives, but wondering if anybody else has this issue. If unit is defective I need to know in time to return it.

Again, thanks.
    adrian4u
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 568
    Re:Mackie Control Surface & X1 PC 2012/02/28 03:25:34 (permalink)
    I have one good news for Behringer users - BCR-2000 with A.J. custom Control Surface works great with WIn7/32 and WIN7/64 (thanks to one of our mates on this forum), moreover is SEES ProChannel controls - ALL OF THEM, so you hAVE ACCES TO Compresor, EQ, Tube/saturation etc.

Phenom II x6 1100T (OC to 6x 4,1gHz), 8gB DDR3/1600gHz RAM, Win7/64; SONAR Producer X1c; Korgs: Z1, M50, Triton Rack, TRinity Rack; NI Maschine; Behringer BCF-R2000; MOTU 828mk3 FW; Edirol Edirol UA-1000; guitars: Cort Z-Custom, LAG JET100 totally customed, Cort SFX-DAO; some other music toys, one very musical cat 
    Be patient for newbie ;)
    Freex
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 478
    Re:Mackie Control Surface & X1 PC 2012/02/28 05:57:51 (permalink)
    Willy Jones [Cakewalk
    ]

If there is and I can't find it I apologize - but if you haven't already would someone mind filling out a problem report listing all of the things that do not work correctly as well as all the things that you would like to see?

Also - is anybody out there using a C4, is it a similar story there as well RE: ProChannel?  Is Mackie even making that still?

Thanks,
    I have a C4 as well as a Mackie MCU
    The C4 really just follows the MCU settings
    Example.
    MCU you have to toggle thru sets of 8 knobs and use the Pan knobs on the MCU to control
    C4 first 4 sets of 8 knobs (32 total) are available to use without having to scroll down slots

The changes to the mackiecontrol.ini file that FBB posted a while ago all worked perfectly on the c4. (well for the EQ)

I think it's a case of, what the MCU sees the C4 sees, so, I think, it's just a case of getting the MCU incorporated nicely and the the C4 will follow suit.

Mackie have stopped making the C4, but it works with sonar just as much as the MCU, so please keep it that way, it's a great piece of kit.

Freex
    post edited by Freex - 2012/02/28 06:04:05

Asus P9X79, Intel i7-3930k, 32GB RAM ,Windows 7, RME RayDat, Presonus Firestudio, Presonus Digimax FS, Mackie MCU, Mackie XT, Makcie C4, KRK Rokit 6

How To Setup A Drum Map...The Easy Way.PDF

Vincentsemper
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24
    Re:Mackie Control Surface & X1 PC 2012/04/05 09:29:50 (permalink)
    Freex

Willy Jones [Cakewalk
    ]

Thanks,
    I have a C4 as well as a Mackie MCU
    The C4 really just follows the MCU settings
    Example.
    MCU you have to toggle thru sets of 8 knobs and use the Pan knobs on the MCU to control
    C4 first 4 sets of 8 knobs (32 total) are available to use without having to scroll down slots

The changes to the mackiecontrol.ini file that FBB posted a while ago all worked perfectly on the c4. (well for the EQ)

I think it's a case of, what the MCU sees the C4 sees, so, I think, it's just a case of getting the MCU incorporated nicely and the the C4 will follow suit.

Mackie have stopped making the C4, but it works with sonar just as much as the MCU, so please keep it that way, it's a great piece of kit.

Freex

I have MCU & C4, i hope both Mackie and CW will support their customers ! At the moment the x1d is faulty in the Prochannel module.

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:Mackie Control Surface & X1 PC 2012/04/05 09:37:51 (permalink)
    FastBikerBoy

Thanks for the reply Willy. I'm on it. I put it in as a feature request rather than a bug report so I don't have a CWBRN number.

I'll list everything I can find and put it all in one bug report.

Thanks again for the reply, I know there are many on here using the Mackie protocol who'll be very grateful for an update.

Send a PM with what you list. I'll add stuff if I can but I would like to send a problem report too. I would like it to be coordinated if possible. I hope this makes sense.

This is a very important issue and CW needs to act on this ASAP. 

Thanks Willy for answering.

Best
    John
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:Mackie Control Surface & X1 PC 2012/04/05 09:44:19 (permalink)
    I would like scrubbing MIDI to work!

Best
    John
    wrkactjob
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 159
    Re:Mackie Control Surface & X1 PC 2012/04/05 11:53:03 (permalink)
    Thanks FBB for your detailed QA (and your great previous MCU tips) and Willy for escalating MCU support in bugfix! I'm looking forward to my MCU working in X1D the way it should.
    Wood67
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1348
    Re:Mackie Control Surface & X1 PC 2012/11/06 05:13:42 (permalink)
    Could I add the ability to have the MCU (I'm using the Behringer BCF2000) work with the buss channels as well?  tbh I'd find that more useful that access to the pro-channels.

Wood

Studio One 3 Pro, (Sonar Platinum), Intel i7, Win10 Pro, 32Gb ram, RME Babyface Pro, Behringer X-Touch, Presonus Faderport, Akai MPK49, Arturia KeyLab25, KRK Rokit 5 monitors, and other sonic surprises.
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    Re:Mackie Control Surface & X1 PC 2012/11/06 05:36:37 (permalink)
    Wood67

Could I add the ability to have the MCU (I'm using the Behringer BCF2000) work with the buss channels as well?  tbh I'd find that more useful that access to the pro-channels.

It already does, or should anyway. Just press and hold the top left button of the main bank (not the channel buttons) and then press the button to the right of it. The LCD should change from tr to bu and you will now be able to control busses.

I wrote a guide for the BCF in Mackie mode a while ago that explains how to use all the various controls. That is HERE.
    Wood67
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1348
    Re:Mackie Control Surface & X1 PC 2012/11/06 05:44:33 (permalink)
    Wow - I thought I had read/watched your guides, but I shall try again this evening.  Thanks again Karl.

btw - you watching the Guy Martin renovation series?  Being a southerner it takes me a while to understand his accent, but I've added 'proper grafter' to my lexicon now!

Wood

Studio One 3 Pro, (Sonar Platinum), Intel i7, Win10 Pro, 32Gb ram, RME Babyface Pro, Behringer X-Touch, Presonus Faderport, Akai MPK49, Arturia KeyLab25, KRK Rokit 5 monitors, and other sonic surprises.
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    Re:Mackie Control Surface & X1 PC 2012/11/06 06:25:45 (permalink)
    I've not seen much of it but Guy Martin certainly is 'the man'.

As you probably know he's a great racer and certainly doesn't play the 'politics game' in race teams or series. He was infamously banned for a while from BSS 600 racing (IIRC) for slamming shut a race officials laptop on his fingers.

I've also had the pleasure of watching him 'work' at the TT and I have the utmost respect for all those riders especially Guy with his matter of fact attitude.

If you've never been to the TT it's something you should do at least once, even if you're not a bike racing fan, it's a week long party with some racing in between.

I think standing at the bottom of Bray Hill as bikes go through the pedestrian crossing just a few feet away at over 180mph missing the kerb by literally inches is one memory that will stay with me forever. Lunacy doesn't do it justice, imagine your local high street and a bike going past at nearly 200 mph while you stand on the kerb (with no barriers) and you'll get the idea.

Here's a great clip - note the sparks from the bottom of the bike as it bottoms out on the crossing.

Obviously the 'ealth & safety nazis have never been to Isle of Man. I hope they never do. It's easy to see why you need to book years in advance to get the ferries and accommodation you want.

Anyway apologies for dragging this OT

Meanwhile an update to the Mackie Control dll will be very welcome

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1