Helpful Replycakewalk and instruments suite training

Author
gecks
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2011/10/10 13:25:38 (permalink)

cakewalk and instruments suite training

Hi -- new to the forum, sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.  I've had cakewalk (sonar, pyro, instrument suites) for months and can't make heads of tails of it.   I'm reasonably smart and use a variety of software daily for work but for some reason just can't get the car out of the garage -- to use an analogy.   Does any one know of someone who does Cakewalk tutoring, or if there are classes?    I've tried the tutorials and youtube videos but their examples do not have the same screen shots I see and really don't know what button to push!  I need a live person who sees what I see and can directly answer basic questions.  I live in the Boston area and would be willing to meet up with someone who knows how to make it work.    Thanks for the read.   

Gecks

AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re:cakewalk and instruments suite training 2011/10/10 14:32:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Cakewalk headquarters is in Boston. There ought to be someone around to help you.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
gecks
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:cakewalk and instruments suite training 2011/10/11 18:27:41 (permalink)
Thanks for the reply -- I realize Cakewalk is in Boston, that's what I'm counting on!   Perhaps there is someone knowledgeable in the area who is available for some one-on-one live training.    If thee is formal training, then I've simply missed it and perhaps someone can point me in the right direction. 
Gecks
olemon
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 768
Re:cakewalk and instruments suite training 2011/11/02 13:36:26 (permalink)
gecks

Hi -- new to the forum, sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.  I've had cakewalk (sonar, pyro, instrument suites) for months and can't make heads of tails of it.   I'm reasonably smart and use a variety of software daily for work but for some reason just can't get the car out of the garage -- to use an analogy.   Does any one know of someone who does Cakewalk tutoring, or if there are classes?    I've tried the tutorials and youtube videos but their examples do not have the same screen shots I see and really don't know what button to push!  I need a live person who sees what I see and can directly answer basic questions.  I live in the Boston area and would be willing to meet up with someone who knows how to make it work.    Thanks for the read.   

Gecks

I agree.  I'm new to Sonar but have used and taught myself and others a wide range of applications from Autocad and ArcGIS to VisualBasic, etc.  Now, I am just starting to learn Sonar and I have not yet read all of the help that is available, but I do find it a bit puzzling.

For example, sometimes a double-click executes a function, sometimes not, sometimes a right click opens a Windows menu, sometimes it's a Sonar menu.

And the jargon and terminology is pretty unique, so that's a hoop to jump through too.  To me everything is a file or an object or a data structure, or an input and an output.  I have to wade through the slang before I get it sometimes.

I've ordered a couple of books recommended by Sonar users, and I'm discovering the help files and topics found under the Help menu.  I think that between the formal documentation and the valuable information I'm finding in these forum discussions, I'll be fine.  It will just take some time and trial and error - like everything else:)

https://www.reverbnation.com/scottholson

Platinum, Studio One 3 Pro, Win 10 (x64), AMD FX-8350, ASUS M5A97 R2.0, 16GB, RME UCX, Digimax DP88, Faderport 8, Revive Audio Mod Studio Channel, Vintage Audio M72, Summit Audio TLA-50, KRK Rokit 5 G2 Monitors, Guitars

"If you wait till the last minute, it only takes a minute."
AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re:cakewalk and instruments suite training 2011/11/02 15:15:07 (permalink)
olemon et al,

you are learning a couple of things - audio engineering and a software application for it.  Tough, and the only way to learn is to do it.  Like all software, the manual is pretty hard to use - if you knew the terminology to ask the right question, you probably wouldn't be asking it!

The idea is to cut into small bites.  First is to get sound out of the critter and understand routing.  You have your interface, and most times those come with their own app.  SONAR connects to it, going in and out, and that has to be right.

Next, I'd start w/ pure audio.  Just drag some of the loops or waves incl. to a track and start mucking around.  Once you get the hang of outputting audio, then move on to softsynths.  By their nature there is more to go wrong there, from midi in to audio out.  Unless you understand signal flow (and even if you do) it is easy to get lost.  Synthesis is its own art form, but even simple things such as making sure the audio engine is on (it will turn off).

Just take it easy and slow.  Don't expect to learn 3 or 4 arts/sciences all at once and quickly.  And it probably won't suddenly snap into place, but is a gradual coming together.  I always think of photoshop and adobe stuff - I've been using it for years but not enough for it to become second nature.  I know how to do certain things OK, but it always has me scratching my head to do other, simple things.  If you come from photo stuff, many of the computer conventions are completely different.

@

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
Fog
  • Total Posts : 12302
Re:cakewalk and instruments suite training 2011/11/02 23:44:50 (permalink)
berklee is in boston also ? the run sonar courses..

you tried the groove 3 videos + scott's book ? they both should help you out.

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1