I've been writing again.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
karalie7@aol.com
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 712
Re:I've been writing again. 2011/10/13 00:59:58 (permalink)
The recording quality is lovely. Reverb on vocal is bright, maybe bring out mids. The bass, guitar and country style is very nice.  The vocal is in tune and good.
kev11111111111111
Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1772
Re:I've been writing again. 2011/10/13 06:18:35 (permalink)
Guitarhacker

Yep, hard to believe, but I've been working on a new tune with Pat....  

This song is NOT FINISHED, but it is getting there. I plan to record the vocal and the guitar solo again as well as make level adjustments. Nits in the vocals and the solo tone is not what I'm really hearing.... I cranked it in there as a filler for now.

If you were mixing it, what would YOU do differently than I have done to this point? 

I am considering recording a male vocal in the pre-chorus and in the chorus in harmony below the female.  The parts are rough recorded but they did not make it to this WIP version..... it will likely be a week or more before I can get the singer back to the studio. 

Did I mention ....it's country?   Yeah, I know...again, hard to believe...... 

Here's the link>>>>>   http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?q=hi&songID=11124487

Thoughts on the song, the recording, production, are all appreciated. 

Not my usual cup of tea ( country) but I like the song ! The production and mix sounds top notch,I can hear the work that has gone into it ! Well done,not crits here,
K

Guitarhacker
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re:I've been writing again. 2011/10/13 08:34:24 (permalink)
Phillip... much appreciated... I did understand.... I just love your flair with words. 

Manny.... yep, yep.... pretty much.  If you have any questions about it email me... 

Karalie.... I spent a few hours yesterday afternoon reworking and re mixing this tune.  It is a bit loud and bright, compared to where I really want it to be. 

Kev....thanks for the listen. glad you like the song. 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
jsaras
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2642
Re:I've been writing again. 2011/10/13 20:03:26 (permalink)
To my ear your entire mix is VERY bright. I just grabbed an EQ and dialed this in: http://www.audiorecording...com/upperroom_2_JA.wav This song needs warm chocolate all over it. Just my $0.02. J

http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com ("one minute free" mastering)

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)
timidi
Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5449
Re:I've been writing again. 2011/10/13 20:32:20 (permalink)
Herb, I was just perusing the dialogue here and have noticed a lot of comments in regards to the dynamics of this tune. If I may be so bold, BIAB is the culprit. I haven't used the program in a long long time but, what I remember is the frustration of trying to get some sort of musicality out of it, In that it plays the parts and it sometimes does an amazing job, but, it just doesn't have any feeling (dynamics). I mean no offense but, you need to ween off of this program. Or, at least use it for what it is, a way to flush out an arrangement and then find a way to have the parts played by human beings. I have a song circulating here (How deep is your love), and a lot of the keyboard parts were BIAB generated. I hate it. I tweaked and tweaked with envelopes trying to get some velocity and dynamics but could only get so far. It just fills the space and that's it. 

That said, and this is the curse of BIAB, I love hearing that steel playing, and it seems to fit really nice but, it's Band in a Box. Anyone can tell.

And, this won't make any sense but, I would love to get my hands on the new version with audio so I can have a pedal steel:)
Anyway, I don't mean to get down on it all but that's my feeling about BIAB.

post edited by timidi - 2011/10/13 20:34:15

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

57Gregy
  • Total Posts : 14404
Re:I've been writing again. 2011/10/13 22:15:49 (permalink)
Sounds good to me, Herb.

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
bandontherun19
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 824
Re:I've been writing again. 2011/10/13 22:51:47 (permalink)
"I mean no offense but, you need to ween off of this program." He said ween.

All you need is love, just ask the Beatles?
----------
BIABDude
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 676
Re:I've been writing again. 2011/10/13 23:13:31 (permalink)
+ + + + + +  1  on what Timidi quotes
I said this once and I'll say it again 
It sounds like a BIAB karaoke  ---- you don't need it you have the talent use it.
good thing this isn't TAXI----- I have a song up on the TAXI site ----all BIAB and they ate me alive.....
post edited by BIABDude - 2011/10/13 23:14:42
Guitarhacker
Re:I've been writing again. 2011/10/14 08:58:12 (permalink)
In the OP I stated that this song was not finished, it was a rough draft, a work in progress, and that I planned to record some of the tracks again. As such, I did not take the time to fine tune the tracks, the levels, the EQ, the compression and other things I use in the big picture. Many of the instrument tracks were set high, and left to play at that level. Even the envelopes were set high. EQ was not finalized by any means, and I had a couple of Boost11's in various tracks that I was playing around with and left them in when I exported the version you have all heard. The wave form isn't a brick but closer to it than most of my music due to the compression. That has already been fixed as has the EQ issues..... but you will have to wait to hear the final version, the finished version, and that may be several weeks away, depending on our singer's schedule. This new version does have dynamics in it, you can see it in the wave, and you can hear it in the music and the RB tracks are still there. 

I understand that some people here don't like BB, and that's fine.... to each his own. Some do, some don't, and the commentary reflects that. I appreciate the opinions of each and every person who took the time to listen and respond positively or negatively to the song. 
BTW: It is on TAXI and the comments are about the song (writing aspects) and the levels. Not BB. 

As far as BiaB being the culpret or source of the high levels and EQ.... come on  people.. do you really believe that? Same thing with dynamics?  No... the issues come from the fact that this is not a finished song. 

During this conversation, over the past few days, I have been remixing, reworking, and tweeking the tracks.  Dialing it in, so to speak. Getting ready for the recording session with our vocalist so that when she records the vox track, and it's right, the work is basically done. 

Be patient....

BMI/NSAI

Guitarhacker
Re:I've been writing again. 2011/10/14 09:06:46 (permalink)
BIABDude

+ + + + + +  1  on what Timidi quotes
I said this once and I'll say it again 
It sounds like a BIAB karaoke  ---- you don't need it you have the talent use it.
good thing this isn't TAXI----- I have a song up on the TAXI site ----all BIAB and they ate me alive.....

got a link for that post? I'd like to hear what song you are talking about. 

Working with BB is tricky, especially if you are using 100% BB tracks.....

But...having said that.... I have 3 songs that are currently signed into a major TV library through a TAXI forward and those songs were composed by me in BB and the tracks are 100% BB/RB tracks.   I have quite a few others signed , but those 3 were totally BB.  I submitted them just to see what would happen, and they got signed. (go figure!) The president of that particular library even asked me on the phone if I had more like them since he needed that style from time to time. 

So.... it is possible to produce top quality tracks that the industry will sign .....IF..... you get the details right. Meaning it can not sound like a computer generated, midi instrument, uninspired karaoke song. 

It's all in how you use it. 
post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/10/14 09:11:49

BMI/NSAI

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1