Silent Night - is it too early for this?

Author
Purple Rhapsody
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 469
2011/10/17 16:15:37 (permalink)

Silent Night - is it too early for this?

Hi,

I've been persuaded to put all my efforts into trying to get a Christmas EP ready for early December.... and why not!

I know it's only 69 days until Christmas so hopefully you don't think it's too early to be listening to this....

Anyway - here is Silent Night, the Purple Rhapsody version... nice and quiet for about 2½ minutes and then the Silent Night party is gatecrashed.

http://soundcloud.com/purplerhapsody/silent-night

I'm not sure about some parts of it... are there too many sections, too many different styles, what about the mix...? 

Please be extra critical!

Cheers,
Terry.

Purple Rhapsody - emotions without words http://purplerhapsody.co.uk/

16 Replies Related Threads

paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re:Silent Night - is it too early for this? 2011/10/17 17:16:50 (permalink)
    Yep ! ;
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Silent Night - is it too early for this? 2011/10/17 17:24:10 (permalink)
    Nice production.... I jumped through it a bit..... 6 minutes of SN....... 

put it back on the shelf for a few more weeks... i got 3 i'm waiting a few more weeks on.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:Silent Night - is it too early for this? 2011/10/17 17:25:33 (permalink)
    Hi Terry, that's quite a production, that last section is very majestic and dramatic, very nice. Don't quite know what to make of that toy banjo in the second section ; ), guess that's a sampled nylon string ? Electric lead guitar could be a tad louder, is a bit buried in the mix.
    Love the piano parts, personally would have put the section where you play the tune proper at the beginning before you start the variations.

Enjoyed listening to this.

Rik
    BenMMusTech
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2606
    Re:Silent Night - is it too early for this? 2011/10/17 17:33:26 (permalink)
    Yes it too early, Bah Humbug!!!!

Seriously the piano is nice, I don't know what else to say though, I mean how many silent nights do we need in the world.  I bet you are one of those christmas heads arn't you!!!

I like the dark emerson, lake and palmer moment at about 3:00mins in, this is more my cup of tea, father christmas comes down the chimney and demands his ****en biscusts and beers but the mother is a welfare bludger and has no money so father christmas shoots her with his ak47.  Ok so that is a wild fantasy I think I have made it clear what I think of christmas.

Good job but yea I don't like christmas music, sorry

Bah Humbug Scrooge!!!

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    http://1331.space/
    https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
    http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:Silent Night - is it too early for this? 2011/10/17 19:49:29 (permalink)
    Well I like Christmas music even if I don't buy all that christ bs. Great melodies.

Well done! Thanks for the journey. From start to finish, you kept it very interesting.

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    Rus W
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 541
    Re:Silent Night - is it too early for this? 2011/10/18 00:35:53 (permalink)
    Wonderfully done! I don't know what else to say here!

And no, it is not to late to write Xmas music. Don't stores put up Christmas stuff around October? Do you start decorating your house around the same time? (That last question was a joke.)

I'm doing a couple of Christmas pieces nyself - one of which is up already (partially written - I should say arranged as the entire song is heard really)

(ReverbNation link - first track)

Again, wonderful arrangement! 

iBM (Color of Music) MCS (Digital Orchestration)  

"The Amateur works until he (or she) gets it right. The professional works until he (or she) can't get it wrong." - Julie Andrews

LpMike75
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re:Silent Night - is it too early for this? 2011/10/18 00:56:06 (permalink)
    Nice arrangement Terry, I thouroughly enjoyed it.  I'm one of the people who does like Xmas music.  (Although I hate xmas shopping)

- Mike
    Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
    http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
    Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
    HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
    Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
    Rus W
    Re:Silent Night - is it too early for this? 2011/10/18 01:06:16 (permalink)
    LpMike75

Nice arrangement Terry, I thouroughly enjoyed it.  I'm one of the people who does like Xmas music.  (Although I hate xmas shopping)

Please tell me you don't do it on Black Friday? That day is the worst. My bday falls on it sometimes as well as Thanksgiving!

"The Amateur works until he (or she) gets it right. The professional works until he (or she) can't get it wrong." - Julie Andrews

Purple Rhapsody
    Re:Silent Night - is it too early for this? 2011/10/18 02:30:46 (permalink)
    Hi,

Thanks to all who have listened so far!

@paulo - humbug! ;-)

@Guitarhacker - thanks for listening. I know, it's a lot of Silent Night, but I did try to keep it interesting ;-)

@Rik - I did record a real classical guitar but I'm really not set up for it and it really did sound like a real toy banjo so I pulled out the East West Gypsy Classical guitar samples... I'll try to tweak it to sound a bit more realistic before release.

@Ben - I'm not really a Christmas head, I had to really be persuaded to do this - the things we do for love, eh? I generally don't like doing 'cover versions' because everyone already has an idea in their head about what it should sound like and you'll never satisfy everyone that the new version is better!

@Guitarpima - My aim was to ensure that nobody was snoring peacefully by the end, so I'm glad you found it interesting throughout :-)

@Rus - thanks for listening - I listened to your Christmas track a few days ago and meant to go back and comment later but stuff got in the way (as always). I liked the idea of your take but wasn't sure the slowish melody shone through enough with all the busy stuff underneath.

@Mike - Thanks for listening, glad you liked the arrangement. There are only so many ways to arrange such a simple tune!

Thanks again to everyone for listening.

Cheers,
    Terry.

Rus W
    Re:Silent Night - is it too early for this? 2011/10/18 02:35:39 (permalink)
    Yeah, I initially had it pushed out, but pulled it back. I'll work on it, but thanks for listening.

FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:Silent Night - is it too early for this? 2011/10/18 03:07:32 (permalink)
    I like this for a Christmas song, it's different in the way it changes at least although I think it might be a tad long, but that depends on where it's going to be listened too of course.

Only thing I would change if possible is the guitar part in the second phase. Some of the part needs to be more legato in places. Don't know if that's an easy thing to change with samples but a few hammer-ons and pull-offs in the right places will help with the realism sound.

Sounds good though, roll on Christmas..
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Silent Night - is it too early for this? 2011/10/18 08:25:53 (permalink)
    Down here in the south...some folks just leave the christmas lights up all year long.... 

And I heard a few years back about a few radio stations that were going to experiment with Christmas music all year long..... I wonder how that worked out? 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Silent Night - is it too early for this? 2011/10/18 08:54:47 (permalink)
    I could listen to YOU play this in the middle of July.  And as much as I love Christmas music and the season (and the reason for it), I get real tired of it by Christmas.  If we had more cool arrangements like this, I could probably handle it more.  :)

Anyway, your song.   LOVE the big orchestrated parts.  Brilliant!  Love the change-ups.  Love the piano parts, of course.  The beat at in the first part threw me off, but that's not a bad thing...keeps us guessing.  :)

But seriously?  You're starting a Christmas CD NOW?  My hat's off to you!  And good luck.  :)  
    Purple Rhapsody
    Re:Silent Night - is it too early for this? 2011/10/18 09:08:44 (permalink)
    Hi,

thanks again for listening!

@FastBikerBoy - I'm in two minds about the length. I could shorten it but the melody does cover a few bars and I wouldn't be able to do the 'dark' section justice. I'm going to put some work into the acoustic guitar (I presume that's the one you meant, the electric guitar is real so would be easier to work on...!). Thanks.

@Janet - aw shucks, you've made me blush! It's not going to be a full Christmas CD, just an EP with 4 or 5 tracks on it. I have Silent Night done now (with a few tweaks to come) and I did The First Noel last year which will go on there. I'm also planning a piano based 'interpretation' of Oh Come All Ye Faithful (ideas recorded but not arranged yet), and probably Once In Royal David's City (by special request from the instigator of this project). So, not that much to do...? Maybe?

Cheers,
    Terry.

Venus
    • Total Posts : 496
    Re:Silent Night - is it too early for this? 2011/10/18 09:14:35 (permalink)
    Not too early. Nice to hear it actually at this time, very calming. I didn't really like synth melody tone on what sounds like a picked guitar in the beginning. The overall production needs to be balanced volume wise from beginning to end. Starts out really soft then its really loud.
    post edited by Venus - 2011/10/18 09:15:42

Yes, I'm back ...with minions. Luv, D

Collabs are here:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1208769 
    Past solo recordings (my mixes) are here:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=918473 
    The future is on YouTube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMZqTJNpfZuGy7k62nVJ4eA

Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Silent Night - is it too early for this? 2011/10/18 09:31:19 (permalink)
    4 songs, and two of them are already done?  Well, barring disasters, that should be do-able.  :)  I thought you meant 12 songs and it wore me out thinking about it.  Can't wait to hear your other ones.  
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1