new song collab-GOOD LIFE

Author
markus
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 216
2011/11/12 22:57:44 (permalink)

new song collab-GOOD LIFE

Hi, all....Markus here....long time no see...:D

Here's a new collab between myself and Larry Gordon Killam from Ontario, Cananda:

GOOD LIFE
Writers: L. Killam & M. Spence
Publishers: Copyright © 2011, 2010 Larry Killam (SOCAN) & Stat Songs Publishing (ASCAP)

Killam uploaded the song after I completed it on his site at SongRamp; he recently put it on his music page on Soundclick.  Here's the link to it:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11203186

The song made to #1 on SongRamp's Country (Contemporary) Charts while it peaked at #6 on their overall charts.  On Soundclick so far, it's at #67 and #12 on the Country and Country (Country Rock) charts, respectively.   My first #1 song (albeit, a country tune) on any internet music charts!!!  :D  How cool is that!!!!!   Check it out and anyone who is interested in performing/recording the song, get with either myself or Larry Killam via SongRamp or Soundclick.   Thanks in advance

4 Replies Related Threads

jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:new song collab-GOOD LIFE 2011/11/13 03:34:51 (permalink)
    Nice clear recording, sounds good, but very narrow/mono. From verse two though, it really needs some extra instrumentation, a counter melody of some kind to colour and build the tune, and there's a big hole where a break of some kind should be?

All in all, it's nice, but sounds unfinished.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    radio
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2782
    Re:new song collab-GOOD LIFE 2011/11/13 14:15:11 (permalink)

Nice sound but I agree it needs work in different areas in the song and the lyrics I had a hard time following as well .
    I would go back and rewrite the lyrics so the listener has something to grab onto , your lyrics made me loose interest really fast to be honest with you .

Nice WIP song ! Radio

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:new song collab-GOOD LIFE 2011/11/13 15:03:27 (permalink)
    I agree with previous comments here on this tune. 

The recording is nice and clean...easy to hear everything. 

Please understand that what follows is not a personal attack but is born from years of studying song composition and song writing and my observations of your song, and how it compares to songs on the radio.... now and in the past.

The music needs to have more interest. It is the same thing after a short time.  Singers want to sing a melody that has interest and often challenges them as artists. The verse and chorus are virtually interchangeable..... and that is a no go situation for song writing.

Structure: Only one verse?  You need a minimum of 2 unique verses in a song.  The two verses should have some sort of common theme or thread that runs through them.  Most often in country (it was on the country charts right?) the verses in the song will tell a story of some sort. Generally there will be 3 verses. The first 2 talk about the same thing but in a different way, or in a time sequence.... the pre-chorus is a set up or a bridge ( NOT A SONG BRIDGE) into the chorus. The chorus ties ALL the verses together by clarifying the concept or theme in the verses. 
    The third verse will often approach the topic of the first 2 verses but in a different way OR... places the final "chapter" on the story. 
      A song's BRIDGE normally will twist the story, add a different point of view, or somehow or another clarify something that was missing from the story line that changes the view of the verses and chorus topic in a unique way.  And excellent example of the 3 verses on a time line is the hit song Don't Take The Girl.... listen to it on Youtube.>>>  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-TXBniRz1g

the "bridge" in your song is really more of a pre-chorus but the chorus that follows it sounds more like a verse.... but it's not.  

while there are many song structures that are common..... this needs to be restructured...

A A B A   or  A B A B  or A A B C B are some of the more common ones.   My latest song called Footsteps in the Hall follows the very simple ABAB format. You know immediately by listening when you are in a verse and when the chorus comes. That is one thing I always pay attention to. You can even anticipate when it will happen.

Lyrics: Again, you need to develop an interesting and unique perspective on working and slaving for a paycheck and hoping to kick back and retire. The topic is something that everyone can relate to and THAT is good. Universal appeal. Find a way to tell it that plays to the emotions, and does that uniquely. 

..... working and slaving, pouring everything from our soul.... man that's a dismal picture.... nobody want to sing along with that.... try  .... coffee cup leaking in a paper sac... paint a picture with the words.... everyone has had a coffee cup leak in a paper sac on the way to work...I know I have and can relate to that immediately.

You have a good start. Now, take it and rewrite it... thinking all the while, that you are painting a picture with words and music.  One of the things that stuck with me that a successful write once said to me.... think of writing a country song as writing a 3 minute movie, and you'll be headed in the right direction. 

Go to my music site and listen to the top 4 tunes, and notice how they paint pictures in your head with words that invoke imagery and how the music varies from verse to chorus and what the bridge, where it occurs, puts a unique twist in the song.... ( this happens in the song Give me a chance ...where the bridge literally changes the listeners viewpoint from the mom to the child with 3 short lines) Notice too, where the bridge occurs.... after the chorus, not before it. 

Song writing for the country market or just for yourself is fun. I recommend learning more about it. Join the Nashville Songwriter's Association. They have a number of (over 120) videos and other educational aides, as well as song critiques from writers with billboard chart hits, so they have some idea of what they're doing. In addition, local songwriters groups are all over the country and world to help songwriters get better.

I hope you take this with the proper spirit. It was meant to help you get on the right course. 

post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/11/13 15:08:07

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    theguitarplayer
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3523
    Re:new song collab-GOOD LIFE 2011/11/14 09:34:27 (permalink)
    Nice little song, keep it going through completion. I have the same problems at times.

Blessings, John

Sonar X3 Studio, Acid Pro 7, Sound Forge Pro 9, Sonicfire Pro 5, Kinetic 2, Cinescore, HP Pavilion dv7, CORE i7, Q-740, 8gb Ram, Windows 7- 64 bit, 4 tb mem , Audiobox USB, Digitech GNX4, Gibson SG1 & SG3, Martin J65M, Washburn Custom Cumberland, 3 Marshall Amps, Casio 365 Keyboard, M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32,  Behringer Truth Monitors, Garritan Aria, EWQLCC, Alloy 2, Ozone 6, Melodyne 

http://www.soundclick.com/JohnRKennedy
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1