Cover, Long Train Runn'in............... Re-Mix posted

Author
Scoobie
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 263
2011/11/20 20:48:37 (permalink)

Cover, Long Train Runn'in............... Re-Mix posted

Doobie Brothers cover.............
This was recorded in a large room but we were limited on space.
I only used a mic on the bass cab (MD 421) and it was sitting right beside the drums. :(
I rolled off most of the highs to limit the drum bleed (cymbals) and I'm wanting some
feedback on the mix.  Really on the low's,  Especially on the bass.   I'm struggling on the lowend.

These guy's are good friends of mine and I'm going to surprise them with a CD of the covers we recorded.
Thanks for any critic I get on the mix, good or bad. 

Re-Mix~~~~>  http://soundcloud.com/outbackremoterecording/long-train-runn-in-doobie 

Tim
post edited by Scoobie - 2011/11/21 23:38:06

Outback Remote Recording,  16 or 24 track mobile rig.

10 Replies Related Threads

radio
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2782
    Re:Cover, Long Train Runn'in 2011/11/21 00:10:43 (permalink)
     Hi this song was one of my favorite songs , I used to practice drums to this one alot and played it almost near perfect .
    Listening to this version its alittle bit on the slow side , my other sore spot here is the mix .
    Its pretty hard to get it perfect when your lacking band members , two drummers , keyboard player and some of the other instruments that are missing that gives the song more body .

Your vocals sound right but the music sounds empty in my ears , thats my take on your version .
    Its not bad but its not the real deal because I have played it many times and listened to it many times over and have seen them play it live at one of their concerts .

Radio

Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:Cover, Long Train Runn'in 2011/11/21 00:25:23 (permalink)
    I used to play this all the time with my band about ten million years ago when we had to fend of raptors! lol! Thanks for posting this! It brings back good memories!

Pretty good cover. It needs ambience though.

Other than that, well done!

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    Bob Oister
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:Cover, Long Train Runn'in 2011/11/21 03:06:55 (permalink)
    Hey, Tim,

That's really great that you're doing the cover CD for those guys, I'm sure they'll really appreciate it!

Yep, like Guitarpima, I also played this in a cover band way back when, and you did a really nice job capturing the live vibe of the song as well as the instruments.  As for the mix, I think the panning sounds good to me and the guitars, vocals and drums sound great.  I think I might try running a high pass filter on the bass track upwards to maybe 60 or 80hz to try to clean up some of the low end.  I think the bass might be masking the kick drum somewhat, and the filter should help.  If that doesn't help, you could also try to isolate the kick drum's main frequency and give it a slight nudge, and then notch out the same frequency on the bass guitar track.  That would probably separate the kick drum and bass a little more and give them room to breathe.  Just a suggestion that might be worth a try.

Anyway, very nice job on this, and it's great to see you back on the forum, have a good one, buddy!
    Bob
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:Cover, Long Train Runn'in 2011/11/21 07:27:51 (permalink)
    I love the Doobies!!!!! 

This cover is lacking vocal harmonies. I'd replace the lower octave vox with high harmony parts. I'd also redo the rhythm guitar using a cleaner, warmer setting or with an acoustic guitar. Finding a harmonica player for the solo would be the icing on the cake too.

String Jammer
    bandontherun19
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    Re:Cover, Long Train Runn'in 2011/11/21 18:44:31 (permalink)
    Used to play this one back in the day with a band :-) I like the song, there's something off in the background vocals :-( There's supposed to be harmonies? But it's an octave, and it's a little pitchy :-( I'm listening on notebook speakers so I can't comment on the mix. 

All you need is love, just ask the Beatles?
    ----------
    Scoobie
    Re:Cover, Long Train Runn'in 2011/11/21 23:20:53 (permalink)
    radio........thanks for your time,  The Doobie Brothers are a very hard act to follow that's for sure .
    I though for a couple of old farts on guitar they didn't do half bad. lol     I've known these guy's for over 30 years.

Guitarpima......Glad it brought back some good memories.   Thanks for listening !
    ambience,  I do have two room mic tracks.   I'll just have to add alittle.    thanks again

Bob.......Thanks for your time Bob, I do my best to capture the live performance,  But mix'in live recordings
    can be a beast. LOL              I'm listening to a re-mix as I type this.   I used a Highpass filter as you suggested
    and alittle EQ on the kick.  Add some more room mic's to the mix as Guitarpima offered.
    If you get a chance listen to the re-mix and see if the low frequency is better.   Thanks again !

Scottytunes...............I love the Doobies also !     This cover is lacking alot compared to the original, lol
    Want be no re-do's or adds,  it's live.    If I did, then it wouldn't be live.    The lower octave vox is the drummer.  We call him Wolfman, about 5 feet tall 300 pounds and he can't sing. LOL    But he is a great guy!

bandontherun19.........Thanks for time to post.  Background vocal, that's Wolfman.   Sure the hell ain't no harmonies thats for sure. lol

I'm posting a re-mix in my original post............... :)    Tim

Bob Oister
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:Cover, Long Train Runn'in 2011/11/22 03:25:02 (permalink)
    Hey, Tim,

You did a great job sweeping out a lot of the low end mud on this, I think it definitely sounds much cleaner now!  I know it's super hard trying to mix a live recording that was recorded in a not so perfect live setting, but you always seem to do a really good job.

Nice work, brother, have a Happy Thanksgiving!
    Bob
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Cover, Long Train Runn'in 2011/11/22 08:15:44 (permalink)
    Another song I wish I had a dollar for every time I played it. 

For a live recording, not to bad.  It felt just a tad too slow.... but still sounded pretty good. 

Trying to get a good mix, and good quality on a live setup in the various rooms one has to play in.... well, it's not easy. 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:Cover, Long Train Runn'in 2011/11/22 09:34:45 (permalink)
    Background vocals a bit weak but what the heck!  Singer is good and the music is nicely done.  Not really an easy song to do.  I think you guys pulled it off, especially considering it's a live recording.  Oh, I loved the lead guitar!

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    Scoobie
    Re:Cover, Long Train Runn'in 2011/11/22 20:45:41 (permalink)
    Bob........ thanks for your time to listen again.    I appreciate the tip on the high pass filter.
    I was surprised on just how much bass I could cut out of the mix.........:)  
    This recording I used 16 mic's and could hear the entire band in all channel's if soloed,
    the guitars had less bleed then the others.   The cabs where mic'ed with Sennheiser e906's about a 2" away from speaker grill,  fender twin and fender reverb.   Thanks again !

Herb.......I appreciate you take'n time to listen.  Yeah, everybody has played this good old tune.  Thanks  

Warren...........Thanks !     The lead was played by David Street, son of Mel Street.   I love to hear him play his Dad's old tunes.  Mel took his own life in 1978.   David's dad wrote a song called, Just Hangin' On and on  the same day he committed suicide that record debut on the country charts. 

Tim

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1