A first to this forum for me: "Snow White Wedding"

Author
Vettetech
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 200
2011/11/29 08:42:16 (permalink)

A first to this forum for me: "Snow White Wedding"

I wrote this thinking about a very close friend's wedding in February (as in Snow). I've known her parents since we were kids (longing then I can believe). When I played it for her she was happy to the point of tears and asked to use it for her Father\Daughter dance which is great by me.

But there are a lot of things that could use improving from a recording quality standpoint (I think) but I'm numb to it having listened to it so many times. As you will hear if you do listen to it I am a very amateur musician jsut having some fun and trying to get better at recording. The only thing not real are the drum loops and the strings are Garritan. Afemale friend did the main vocal and my brother backed her up as well as he did the bass track.

I'm a little nervous about this so be gentle :). I hope the consensus is not that I should start over or give up.

http://soundcloud.com/joe-santacroce/snow-white-wedding
Remix 1 (comments below)

http://soundcloud.com/joe-santacroce/snow-white-wedding-remix1-1

Final after all feedback and tweaks. Thanks to everyone:

http://soundcloud.com/joe-santacroce/snow-white-wedding-remix99

post edited by Vettetech - 2011/12/05 20:37:59

Win 7-64bit \ 8gb memory \ I7 3ghz
600gb WD VelociRaptor 10k Program Drive\1TB eSata Data Drive
Sonar X1e \ Melodyne \ Ozone5 \ stuff
PreSonus FireStudio 10x10
Cakewalk MA-150 \ KRK Rokit 8 Powered Monitors
and more stuff...

More Tunes at:

http://www.soundclick.com/MotaNobrac

19 Replies Related Threads

Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    • Total Posts : 9200
    Re:A first to this forum for me: "Snow White Wedding" 2011/11/29 09:42:35 (permalink)
    Beautiful song you have there, and a beautiful voice singing it.

My only comment is the drums don't match the track in any way, shape or form.  I know you used drum loops, but you picked a "power ballad" style in both the sound and what they're playing, whereas the track is much softer.  I half expected to hear a Slash style guitar solo ala November Rain...

Tone down the drums and you have a hit.

Just my oppinion.

Mekashi Futo
    Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

malcolmb
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 713
    Re:A first to this forum for me: "Snow White Wedding" 2011/11/29 09:57:34 (permalink)
    As one amateur to another, I do know what you mean about becoming numb to a song and not hearing it objectively any more. Happens all the time to me! This is a great song and I would definitely say it's worth going back to the mix for just a little extra polish. Fully agree with Karyn about the drums. I would also suggest you bring the vocals forward a bit more - they get lost a bit in the chorus. Perhaps have a look at your panning - it seems to me there is a lot coming out of my left speaker and not much out of the right - if you widen the mix it should help increase the clarity of the various instruments and vocals. I'll leave the technical advice to others here who are much, much more competent on that than I am!

HS 7 XL
    XP Prof.
    4 GB memory
    GPO, VSL, Music Lab Real Guitar/LPC, EWQLSC, Vocaloid Miriam/Avanna 
    Soundcard - Marian Marc 4 Midi

www.soundclick.com/malcolmbrown
    www.soundclick.com/lylemusic
    www.youtube.com/user/LyleMusic
    Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re:A first to this forum for me: "Snow White Wedding" 2011/11/29 10:12:56 (permalink)
    Very Nice.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Vettetech
    Re:A first to this forum for me: "Snow White Wedding" 2011/11/29 22:59:37 (permalink)
    Thanks for the feedback. I am working on incorporating some suggestions and will go for round 2. More feedback welcome.

Thanks,

Joe..

ps: I've been sampling some of the tunes here and there is some incredible stuff. I know I have a lot of learning and work to do.
    guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:A first to this forum for me: "Snow White Wedding" 2011/11/29 23:49:47 (permalink)
    Sounds good overall for the first time out.  It's a little too compressed especially on the drums - not sure what you are using, but you can hear it on the snare and the crash crashes.  Other than that the mix is pretty decent, and you've got some good panning and separation going on.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:A first to this forum for me: "Snow White Wedding" 2011/11/30 07:43:23 (permalink)

Joe, excellent song!  I'm sure there will be tears all around....always a good thing at a wedding. 

Good job on writing the song. It's very appropriate for a wedding. 

The things I hear in it that are not as perfect as they should be...in my humble opinion:

The drums, as have been mentioned, are a bit to overpowering for the gentle nature of the song. Side stick would really give it that laid back sound and still keep it moving. In the part where it says.... " and now" several times the drums seem to be wanting to gallop away.  The drums in this should be much more of a background item. 

There are some very slight but noticeable timing issues in several places. The intro is one place.  in other places there are a few isolated beats that seem to be slightly off from where they should be. Most of it is in the intro. 

Vocals: these should be louder. It is after all, the the singer that we want to hear. I would like to hear the words clearly. 

The ending..... to each his own on song structure.... however, I would resolve the final chord back to the root, as opposed to letting it hang..... but that is a personal choice and not a deal breaker. 

All in all, an excellent song and a superb first time out 

What tends to happen as you write, record and finish a song is that you tend to overlook the "glitches" or the parts that are not quite perfect, and you fall in love with the song and overlook those things. 

That's why it's always a good idea to post songs here and get those other ears on the important projects....and even the ones we do for fun and education..... Most people here are tactful in the way they express what they hear.  Knowing that other people hear the same things and point them out either teaches you what to listen for or confirms what you already knew. 

With a February wedding... you have 8+ weeks to work on this and get it fixed/perfect. Make some changes and post the new version.... repeat as often as you feel it is necessary to do so.  

We'll help you dial that mix right in. 
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/11/30 07:44:50

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Vettetech
    Re:A first to this forum for me: "Snow White Wedding" 2011/11/30 13:35:53 (permalink)
    Wow, thanks for all the great feedback. I hope tog et osme time to some tweaks in the next night or two. I hesitate to change too much (agree drums need to soften up and the vocals will come up) because I don't want to get into a situation where my friend now thinks it's not the same song because it's embedded in her head already.

But the drums, vocals up some, I would like to clea rup the back-up vocal (or get rid of it) where the "And Now" is doubled so it either stands out and sounds like a big back-up chorus  or goes away.

I spent a lot of time (more time then I should have) with Audiosnap trying to tighten up some timing issues but agree there are still a few more. You get numb after staying up until 4am and spenidng 8 hours with mix after mix trying to get the best out of it.

Thanks again to all. Back to the mixing board!

Joe..
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:A first to this forum for me: "Snow White Wedding" 2011/12/01 17:03:44 (permalink)
    I'm mixed on the drums. At times it works but for the most part, no.

Other than that, this is a really good song. The music and vox are great!

Well done!

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    Vettetech
    Re:A first to this forum for me: "Snow White Wedding" 2011/12/04 22:51:57 (permalink)
    Round 2 \ Remix 1

Based on feedback both from here, myself, others, and my 80 year old father with hearing aids, I've made some adjustments.

-Cleaned up the vocals. Both noise and breathing between phrases and where the harmony parts are tightened them up so the words are right together.
    -Brought all the vocals out a little more
    -Smoothed out and toned down the drums some and brought them down into the mix more.
    -Addressed many of the timing issues. Perhaps not perfect yet but certainly would like to think it's tighter then it was.
    -Gave the acoustic guitar some space between the vocals and bass so it could be heard more clearly now.
    -Took the boomyness off the bass so it now plays much nicer on different systems and has a better overall sound and groove to it.
    -Tried to get a tighter overall mix
    -Tried to pay more attention to clips coming in and out and where some seem to hit you in the face just added a wee bit of fade in to make for smoother transitions

And a few other odds and ends. It's tough to know when to stop and tweaking one thing effects another, at least until I get a better hang of this.

http://soundcloud.com/joe-santacroce/snow-white-wedding-remix1

Still open for more suggestions especially feedback on overall sound on other systems to see how much it may sounds on others compared to mine.

Thanks again to all,

Joe..

post edited by Vettetech - 2011/12/04 22:59:10
    Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:A first to this forum for me: "Snow White Wedding" 2011/12/04 23:50:52 (permalink)
    Hi Joe,

So far I totally agree with Karyn, Herb and Guitar Pima on the first mix. However, I don't feel the drums were too forceful or needed to be backed down like you've done here in the second mix. The issue (in my opinion) is the wrong samples for this particular song. I'm the first to love a cracking snare with a bit of verb splash...but I'm not so sure I would do it on a song like this. I'd go more for a meatier 70's type snare for this if at all possible. I think you may have made them too low in this new mix though.

I heard timing issues Herb mentioned....I don't seem to hear them in this new mix as much other than from the beginning guitar solo up to about 0:16 where it just seems a little loose. I too felt there was a bit of excessive compression on the drums per guitartrek's advice. What gives that away to us is the snare doesn't pop and sounded restricted..and your crash cymbals resonate longer. I don't hear that now in this mix.

I love the voices, backing and everything else you have going on here. Really beautiful song man. Just check on some of the timings...just heard a vocal timing thing at 2:35...just a little loose there. Really liked the guitar solo work...warm tone...melodic phrasing...good synths....really nice job.

Just curious...what does your nic mean? Are you a Corvette technician or something? (keeps fingers crossed because if so, I need you lol)

-Danny

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    Vettetech
    Re:A first to this forum for me: "Snow White Wedding" 2011/12/05 01:00:20 (permalink)
    DD, thanks for the suggestions. I went back in and bumped the drums a couple DB, tweaked a couple of those lead timing issues a pube or two, and added just a spot of verb on the back-up vocals to smooth them out.

The suggestions much appreciated and you were spot on.

Tweaked again: http://soundcloud.com/joe-santacroce/snow-white-wedding-remix1-1

On the Corvette side I caught your Avatar a long time ago. I had a number of Corvette over the years and owned my own Performance and Restoration shop. I worked on MANY vettes over the years. From NCRS Top Flight Cars to Supercharged, Nitrous, and Turbocharged stret and track cars. I gtave it up about 2 years ago due to the body not cooperating with the brain (in more ways then one). So although I have dabbled with Cakewalk\Sonar for years and played some guitar, I now have time to try and get better at it.

Thanks again, and here is a couple of my rides that I built including the 2008 Corvette Enthusiast Cover Car and Carlisle Chips Choice Display. If you ever do have questions, drop me a note (jsantacroce@hvc.rr.com).

http://www.vettetech.com/projects/c3gs/c3gs.htm

http://www.vettetech.com/projects/63vert/index.htm

post edited by Vettetech - 2011/12/05 01:12:55

and more stuff...

More Tunes at:

timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:A first to this forum for me: "Snow White Wedding" 2011/12/05 09:26:33 (permalink)
    Nice tune. The latest mix sounds better than the first. The guit fills seem to jump out a bit much though.

I did want to hear the line 'snow white wedding' differently. making the word 'wedding' the same as 'snow' and 'white' . so, say the snow white are on 1 and 2. then wedd-ing on 3 and 4.  but then agin it's nice the way it is and since you're tweaked out, just disregard everything i said:)

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Danny Danzi
    Re:A first to this forum for me: "Snow White Wedding" 2011/12/05 16:44:10 (permalink)
    Vettetech

DD, thanks for the suggestions. I went back in and bumped the drums a couple DB, tweaked a couple of those lead timing issues a pube or two, and added just a spot of verb on the back-up vocals to smooth them out.

The suggestions much appreciated and you were spot on.

Tweaked again: http://soundcloud.com/joe-santacroce/snow-white-wedding-remix1-1

On the Corvette side I caught your Avatar a long time ago. I had a number of Corvette over the years and owned my own Performance and Restoration shop. I worked on MANY vettes over the years. From NCRS Top Flight Cars to Supercharged, Nitrous, and Turbocharged stret and track cars. I gtave it up about 2 years ago due to the body not cooperating with the brain (in more ways then one). So although I have dabbled with Cakewalk\Sonar for years and played some guitar, I now have time to try and get better at it.

Thanks again, and here is a couple of my rides that I built including the 2008 Corvette Enthusiast Cover Car and Carlisle Chips Choice Display. If you ever do have questions, drop me a note (jsantacroce@hvc.rr.com).

http://www.vettetech.com/projects/c3gs/c3gs.htm

http://www.vettetech.com/projects/63vert/index.htm

Hi Joe, this definitely sounds better! Snare seems to drop off a bit in the chorus part....but this is definitely where it should be going in my opinion. I know you're using loops so it's not so easy to change up a drum....but this is definitely better. Maybe the lead guitars during the singing parts may be a little loud at times....just an automation thing. But I like this whole thing better. Just sometimes the lead guitars walk over top of the vocals to me. I'd drop them about -1.5dB or so just so they don't walk on the vocals. When they play by themselves, you can bring them back to where they were level wise...but definitely back them down a bit on the parts where you have singing. Other than that stuff....really liking this and the changes you made were great for the tune...nice job!

On the Vette thing....wow man, awesome stuff! Thanks for sharing those pics! That blue one...oh man! I'm a total Vette lover and when I saw your name and saw you're not too far away from me, I figured I'd ask. I've had an ongoing problem that needs a Vettetech. 3 different dealers can't figure out what my issue is and I'm out of ideas. I've contacted GM, begged for someone higher up to take a look at my issue and they basically told me "if 3 of our top dealers with the best tools can't find what the problem is, we can't help you."

I'll send you an email...maybe you might be able to help me pinpoint what the issue could be. I appreciate it...thanks a lot. Again, great job on this song.

-Danny

My Site
    Vettetech
    Re:A first to this forum for me: "Snow White Wedding" 2011/12/05 20:37:20 (permalink)
    Fixed the guitar track (I think) and also EQ'd out a couple of offending guitar overtones from the patch I used. Gives it a smoother feel I think.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. At this point I think I'm putting this one to bed and already started on the next project. It will be interesting to hear it at the wedding. I did not expect that to happen but my friend really liked it and wants to use it so there ya go... :)

http://soundcloud.com/joe-santacroce/snow-white-wedding-remix99

and more stuff...

More Tunes at:

Danny Danzi
    Re:A first to this forum for me: "Snow White Wedding" 2011/12/05 22:04:34 (permalink)
    There ya go man....sounds smoother to me also. Good job on the fixes. Guitar leads over the vocals sound much more in control now. LOL @ remix 99....you didn't mix this 99 times did ya? LOL! Whatever the case...this is good enough to be put to bed...beautiful song once again Joe. Glad it's getting used for the wedding...awesome! :)

-Danny

My Site
    darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re:A first to this forum for me: "Snow White Wedding" 2011/12/07 17:13:42 (permalink)
    Cool.  I agree with Tim on the timing.  This is a very pleasant tune.

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re:A first to this forum for me: "Snow White Wedding" 2011/12/08 18:24:14 (permalink)
    I only listened to mix no 99 - sounds pretty good to me. More importantly DD is happy with it, which is good enough for most, though he may just be after some cheap car repairs ;).

Anyhow, I liked the arrangement and thought you did a pretty good job. Look forward to hearing some more of your work.
    Vettetech
    Re:A first to this forum for me: "Snow White Wedding" 2011/12/08 22:08:33 (permalink)
    Thanks again for the comments. Very much appreciated. Having someone outside of my small circle of those I've driven crazy with this stuff listen to it and the constructive comments are greatly appreciated. I've listened to a lot of the tunes here and don't feel qualified yet to make other then general comments but working through the process as well as getting some instruction (I've purchased a couple videos and books on Mixing, EQ, Compression, etc. that others recommended) and I'm trying to get a better understanding of the whys and what fors.

More importantly though, I'm having fun. So thanks.

and more stuff...

More Tunes at:

CLEAN
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:A first to this forum for me: "Snow White Wedding" 2011/12/08 22:29:46 (permalink)
    Joe, this is beautiful. You did a fantastic job on this - just gorgeous.

THE PUGTONES
    Mark
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1