Chromatic Sadness - some piano noodlings

Author
Purple Rhapsody
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 469
2011/11/30 15:01:42 (permalink)

Chromatic Sadness - some piano noodlings

Hi,

A new solo piano track from me. It's called Chromatic Sadness and it was inspired by 2 things:
(1) The difficulty of finding a job in the current economic climate (not for me but for someone very close to me).
(2) Chopin's prelude No 4 (Op 28); also called Suffocation I think... which someone pointed out recently is based on a descending chromatic scale

http://soundcloud.com/pur...sody/chromatic-sadness

I often record my piano using the built-in reverb on my Clavinova but this time I recorded it dry and applied some Reverb in the DAW (Waves Diamond RVerb - an old version) so I'd welcome comments on how you think it sounds.

It's short - do you think it could do with being extended or is just perfectly poignant as it stands now?

Cheers,
Terry.

Purple Rhapsody - emotions without words http://purplerhapsody.co.uk/

12 Replies Related Threads

Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:Chromatic Sadness - some piano noodlings 2011/11/30 16:44:14 (permalink)
    Hi Terry,

I dig this. I'd probably make the piano just a little brighter....I do like the reverb it has. I just felt that some of the hammers could have been just a little more bright/percussive so to speak. Not much because you don't want it sounding "plinky". I'd probably try removing a little 200-250 range....maybe check mids at around 600 for a slight cut....you might not even need to make anything brighter.

As for the length, it's fine as is if you are ok with it. For me...it left me wishing it was a little longer. That could be because I'm a Janet fan and most of her stuff runs longer than 2 minutes. :) But I liked it enough to where I was a bit sad it was over. This is definitely cool as it is though. Very emotional and expressive with dynamics and feel...nice job!

-Danny

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    drumstixkev
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2709
    Re:Chromatic Sadness - some piano noodlings 2011/11/30 18:42:19 (permalink)
    Hey Terry,
    GREAT piece! Love the change at 0:45.  I agree with Danny a touch of high end would be nice. I also would try scooping some of the mid range first and see if that helps. Performance wise you play with passion and you hear it. That is talent.  KUDOS!

Kev

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Chromatic Sadness - some piano noodlings 2011/11/30 22:46:29 (permalink)
    Terry, you are such an amazing composer.  I never tire of listening to your pieces because of the freshness your chord progressions and melodies.  And this is just full of emotion and depth and, of course, superb style and sheer talent.  

I would have thought that at 2 minutes it would be too short, but it works for me.  Probably because you brought it to such a perfect conclusion, musically speaking.  

OK, on the second listen...I take that back.  lol  I guess I can hear it going to another whole level if you wanted to take it past the 2 minute mark.  But again, it's perfectly beautiful the way it is and certainly stands well on its own.  Wonderful job!  

When are you going to orchestrate 'Celebration?'  Can't wait to hear that one!  :)  

@Danny...thanks.  

LpMike75
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re:Chromatic Sadness - some piano noodlings 2011/11/30 23:16:24 (permalink)
    Very nice!  I like the verb, but more than that I like the expressiveness of the piece.  Nice playing

- Mike
    Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
    http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
    Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
    HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
    Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
    morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:Chromatic Sadness - some piano noodlings 2011/12/01 00:57:43 (permalink)
    Hi Terry, leave it, step away from the piano ; )  Like it, don't change a thing. Write more ; )

Rik
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:Chromatic Sadness - some piano noodlings 2011/12/01 16:47:42 (permalink)
    Very, very nice Terry!

I don't know much about Chopin other than that he liked to use odd timings in standard meters. I just checked out the piece you refered to and I see where they're coming from. I think yours is it's own though. I like all the dynamics and how it changes to the extreme. It works really well.

Very well done!

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    Purple Rhapsody
    Re:Chromatic Sadness - some piano noodlings 2011/12/02 02:30:02 (permalink)
    Hi,

Thanks everyone for listening and for taking the time to comment:

@Danny - I'll apply the EQ as directed... and see what I think! My ears are a bit stuffy with a bad cold at the moment so I won't attempt it until I'm well again. I read your 'should it be longer?' comment as "maybe" ;-) Thanks for the kind words too!

@Kev - thanks! As above, I'll try the EQ suggestion when my ears are not feeling like they're filled with cotton wool. Thanks for the positive comments!

@Janet - aw shucks, you're embarrassing me again :-D. I thought that the chord progressions in this were a bit clichéd and had been done before lots of times... but I'll still take the compliment! As for length... well you have 2 opinions, and so do I! I think it'll depend on what the album after next is going to be... if it's going to be solo piano then I'll leave it as it stands now, but if it's going to be fuller arrangements then I'll extend it...
    As for 'Celebration' I think that's going to be the same... my next album is 80% complete so if the album after that turns out to be solo piano then I won't orchestrate it.

@Mike - thanks!

@Rik - yes sir! Thanks for listening, and for your comment. See my reply to Janet for my thoughts on (not) extending it. Of course my mind is extremely changeable so whatever I decide now might be different in 5 minutes! :-D

@Guitarpima - thanks! "Changes to the extreme" is a great phrase! Glad you like the contrasts between sections.

Thanks again,
    Terry.

Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:Chromatic Sadness - some piano noodlings 2011/12/02 03:20:14 (permalink)
    Hi, Terry,

Short and sweet, but an absolutely beautiful composition and superb playing!  The amount of raw emotion that exudes from your playing style is truly fantastic.

Wonderful piece of music! 

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:Chromatic Sadness - some piano noodlings 2011/12/02 05:31:55 (permalink)
    This is the sweetest noodling I've ever heard!

String Jammer
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:Chromatic Sadness - some piano noodlings 2011/12/02 10:44:30 (permalink)
    Beautiful tune and playing Terry. I can really hear the emotion in the performance, those little pauses are perfectly judged. Excellent.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Vallhagen
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 405
    Re:Chromatic Sadness - some piano noodlings 2011/12/02 14:03:25 (permalink)
    ...listened to this one about 7 times now. absolutely luvly.

But a question, its like the sound is playing a mindgame to me as i sit here with earphones. I cant decide if its stereo or mono. Or well i can, it IS stereo, but i feel like the middle keys sometimes is more far right than the upper keys. Is it just me, or is there something funny happening when the original sounds is run through your reverb plug?
    Purple Rhapsody
    Re:Chromatic Sadness - some piano noodlings 2011/12/02 16:06:15 (permalink)
    Hi,

@Bob - Thanks!

@Scotty - thanks too! Sometimes noodling works!

@James - Thanks!

@Vallhagen - the piano is recorded in stereo with the lower notes towards the left of the sound field and the higher notes to the right... I haven't actually concentrated on what the reverb plugin is doing to it but I'm going to go and check it out now! Thanks for the positive comments.

Cheers,
    Terry.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1