New song from The Writhing Baby Monster Heads: What I'm Scared to Know

Author
droddey
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5147
2012/01/02 05:14:02 (permalink)

New song from The Writhing Baby Monster Heads: What I'm Scared to Know

So this is actually one that I did about 2 years ago. I don't think I even ever let anyone hear it because I thought it kind of sucked. But, I was going through old projects to see what I could toss and came across this one and realized immediately that it had a lot of atmosphere and that it was just my sucky skills from 2 years ago that was the problem, in terms of knowing how to put the raw materials together.

As usual from back then it had like 5 plugins per track and all kinds of atomic level automation because I couldn't figure out how to make things sound right. So I tossed everything and started from scratch. Hooked up my wee bit of outboard gear and did a new mix and it came out really interesting with just the right balancing and some EQ and compression. There's a lot of atmosphere in there.

Here are two files. One is a really high bit rate WMA Pro file, so try that one and if it works for you it'll be a lot better. I'm not sure if WMA Pro files will play on most folks systems or not. It works fine for me and it's way higher bit rate than a 320 MP3, without being appreciably larger. I've also linked an MP3 for those who can't play it, or have some sort of political vendetta against MS or something. 

Chris Lago's mastered version
http://www.charmedquark.com/Web2/TmpAudio/WhatImScaredToKnow-CLMaster.wma  

Original mix 
http://www.charmedquark.com/Web2/TmpAudio/Final/WhatImScaredToKnow-FinalCD.wma

http://www.charmedquark.com/Web2/TmpAudio/Final/WhatImScaredToKnow-FinalCD.mp3

* As always, there's no modern cheating. It's just EQ and compression and one reverb and a little automation. It may sound overly fat on some people's systems but I like it like this and hopefully it's acceptable. The only compression added was to the drums and an LA-2A on the vocals.

* And my new 'band' name is now The Writhing Baby Monster Heads 

post edited by droddey - 2012/01/05 03:18:47

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
www.charmedquark.com

19 Replies Related Threads

gcolbert
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1176
    Re:New song from The Writhing Baby Monster Heads: What I'm Scared to Know 2012/01/02 10:36:57 (permalink)
    Dean,

I gave this a couple of listens.  No comments or suggestions.  I like it exactly as it is.

Glen
    SteveStrummerUK
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:New song from The Writhing Baby Monster Heads: What I'm Scared to Know 2012/01/02 11:32:40 (permalink)

Hi there Dean

Awesome tune - I love the laid back relaxed feel.

Mix is perfect here.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:New song from The Writhing Baby Monster Heads: What I'm Scared to Know 2012/01/02 11:43:07 (permalink)
    This is a good song, and I like your voice in this.  Not much to criticize here, but I did have to turn the volume up to hear it.  I listen at the same volume level for all songs on this forum, and your song could use a volume boost in the mastering stage.  Other than that, it's good to go.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    droddey
    Re:New song from The Writhing Baby Monster Heads: What I'm Scared to Know 2012/01/02 15:20:42 (permalink)
    I am the Dynamic Range Avenger :-) I don't play the loudness game at all. It's ruined music. Ultimately the reason you have to turn mine up is that almost everything else today is from significantly to vastly over compressed. I'm going more for the Dark Side of the Moon type of dynamics.

Those of who aren't beholden to the forces of evil should fight the good fight and retain dynamics. There is no loud without quiet, maaaaan!

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:New song from The Writhing Baby Monster Heads: What I'm Scared to Know 2012/01/02 15:47:45 (permalink)
    this is nice, Dean.  lovely all around. 

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    droddey
    Re:New song from The Writhing Baby Monster Heads: What I'm Scared to Know 2012/01/02 20:08:49 (permalink)
    Thanks. I'll send you a bowl of BECAN, whatever that is :-)

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:New song from The Writhing Baby Monster Heads: What I'm Scared to Know 2012/01/02 20:31:57 (permalink)
    I love this. But, I think it is more loving your style and talent than the song in particular. 
    The song is fine I guess, but the delivery is what makes it exceptional.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

droddey
    Re:New song from The Writhing Baby Monster Heads: What I'm Scared to Know 2012/01/03 17:06:15 (permalink)
    Thanks! I guess that's always kind of the thing, right? Many songs that we know and love may not have been seen as all that good if someone else had done them in a different way probably.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    rscain
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 784
    Re:New song from The Writhing Baby Monster Heads: What I'm Scared to Know 2012/01/03 17:37:11 (permalink)

I like this a lot, really like your vocal delivery. Great sound, very good mix except I'd like to hear your vocals up just a bit but that's just me. Volume seemed good to me, at my normal listening level it was just fine.
    Great work!

My Tunes On SoundClick  

AMD FX9350 @4 gHz, 16 gb ram, 240 gb SSD, 2 1Tb SS/Hybrid HDs, 1 Tb Fantom External HD, Windows 10 64 bit, Sonar Platinum 64 bit, Studio One 4 Pro, Harrison Mixbus, Izotope Neutron 2 Advanced and Ozone 8 Advanced, ARC 2, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, TC-Helicon VoiceLive 3, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Focusrite Octopre MkII, KRK Rokit 8 monitors, Sennheiser HD 280 pro headphones, MidiMan Oxygen 8, Behringer X-Touch, guitars and stuff 
    droddey
    Re:New song from The Writhing Baby Monster Heads: What I'm Scared to Know 2012/01/03 22:01:54 (permalink)
    Thanks! Every song I post there's always 'vocals should be higher/lower' comments :-) I'm pretty much old school about vocal levels, and don't like them too out front (these days using hyper automation usually.) This one is more out there than I usually like, but it's fairly scooped out so it needed more oomph to get through and be intelligible.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re:New song from The Writhing Baby Monster Heads: What I'm Scared to Know 2012/01/03 22:49:16 (permalink)
    All of the above and most definately the vocals need to be a little more out front.

I find my old unfinished projects to be a treasure trove after a couple of years.  Some have been resurected to great sucess!

I agree to a point on the loundess thing, but when properly mastered, it will sound louder and fuller but it's not all compression and it can sound a lot fuller, of course you can overdo any effect.

However you're right to get it as close as it can be BEFORE applying any mastering.  You can't polish a turd, but you can buff a well-recorded song to high luster.  It's all about the nuances.  I don't professs to be any kind of expert but what I have learned over time is to get volume levels and EQ, tone, and such as good as it can possibly be when recorded.  Don't fix in the mix.  Then those minor mastering tweaks really work, otherwise it's like polishing a turd.  It just gets worse.

Nice tune.

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    droddey
    Re:New song from The Writhing Baby Monster Heads: What I'm Scared to Know 2012/01/04 14:59:29 (permalink)
    I guess it depends on your idea of 'properly mastered' :-) I don't think too many things today are properly mastered. It more like blastered. Personally, I think we need an overreaction back the other direction to counter balance the huge damage done. But of course we have a whole generation of people who think that utterly crushed is how things should sound. But, those of us who don't do it for money are free to piss into that wind.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:New song from The Writhing Baby Monster Heads: What I'm Scared to Know 2012/01/04 15:29:03 (permalink)
    Actually, I agree with you about the volume wars.  Steely Dan CDs usually have to be turned up if I'm listening to them along with others artists.  However, you don't necessarily have to destroy dynamics by bringing the overall level up.  It requires a delicate touch in the mastering stage, but if you don't change a thing it's still a winner.
    droddey

I am the Dynamic Range Avenger :-) I don't play the loudness game at all. It's ruined music. Ultimately the reason you have to turn mine up is that almost everything else today is from significantly to vastly over compressed. I'm going more for the Dark Side of the Moon type of dynamics.

Those of who aren't beholden to the forces of evil should fight the good fight and retain dynamics. There is no loud without quiet, maaaaan!

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    droddey
    Re:New song from The Writhing Baby Monster Heads: What I'm Scared to Know 2012/01/05 03:21:22 (permalink)
    One of the guys over on Gearslutz, Chris Lago, wanted to take a shot at mastering this tune, so I sent him the WAV to play with. I updated the original post with his mastered version. I imagine it would appeal to the modern tastes more than mine. It's not modern super-crushed but considerably louder, and a more mid-scooped frequency balance, which probably sounds more comfortable to modern ears as well. And it definitely has it's only inherent charms as well, with a stronger bottom end and the mid-scoop removes a lot of the roominess of the drums, which I think that many modern listeners find sort of repugnant.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    Thatsastrat
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1267
    Re:New song from The Writhing Baby Monster Heads: What I'm Scared to Know 2012/01/05 11:06:39 (permalink)
    Dean,
    I almost missed this one. This was a fun listen. I like the high/low thing you have going on with your voice.
    Is tha t the chime of a Strat I hear in my left ear? Sounds like one.

Sonar Platimum, Win10 32bit, Quad Q6600,4G DDR2 Ram, BCF2000, Lexicon Lambda interface,Tascam US 1800, WD 500 GB HD, M-Audio AV40 Monitors, Line 6 DI Gold, Guitar Rig 5 Pro, hand full of guitars, Kawia PH50 Keyboard,Digitech GNX3
    http://www.soundclick.com/thatsastrat/%3C/a%3E
    http://www.myspace.com/thatsastrat/music
    droddey
    Re:New song from The Writhing Baby Monster Heads: What I'm Scared to Know 2012/01/05 14:06:56 (permalink)
    Yeh, on the left is a Strat through a 70's Vibrochamp pushed into overdrive. That's a classic sort of sound. In this case it was through a very expensive Effectrode Vibe Chorus, a tube based chorus pedal that is just super-lush. Unfortunately I had to sell it for some bucks a while back. All the Effectrode pedals are really nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qp3qjN2URE

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    Re:New song from The Writhing Baby Monster Heads: What I'm Scared to Know 2012/01/08 13:40:23 (permalink)
    I listened to both the 'mastered' and your mix dean. I didn't think Chris' was overly compressed/squashed, tho louder. However to my tired ears, I felt your mix had a little more sense of space & dynamics in there, especially on the guitars, but I had to really pay attention if you know what I mean.

Either way it's a great sounding tune and nice to hear something like this these days!

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    droddey
    Re:New song from The Writhing Baby Monster Heads: What I'm Scared to Know 2012/01/08 21:58:49 (permalink)
    It's up to us old farts who have no commercial aspirations to fight the good fight for dynamics and depth.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:New song from The Writhing Baby Monster Heads: What I'm Scared to Know 2012/01/14 12:43:26 (permalink)
    Lovely stuff Dean. Really like your guitar tones on this and the understated bass line. Loads of space and atmosphere. The husky falsetto was a brave move, but you pulled it off in fine style.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1